March 08, 2017
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with CouchDB
It is being used within all the mobile applications we develop where offline data is needed. The ability for CouchDB to sync is truly amazing and saved us lots of headaches and heartache.
- Ease of install and setup.
- Ease of syncing with another database. This was truly set it and forget it.
- The REST API to read data. No additional drivers are needed to work with CouchDB.
- Documentation is always helpful. Took a while to understand how indexing and views worked.
- User security was a bit hard to set up. Still don't believe we have it correct.
- It returns data in a non-standard way than we've found with other packages like MongoDB. Caused a few days of head scratching until we realized what we were looking at.
Again the syncing is tremendous and is the core reason we decided to go with CouchDB. We have read a lot of articles about map/reduce, but it is a bit hard to fully understand. This is making searching within the database ineffective.
We looked at MongoDB and Firebase. MongoDB gives us the best working db engine with a very intuitive design. However, it does not work as well offline. Firebase was extremely hard to create searching and indexing. Using a third-party to search didn't work for us or at least it was too hard for us to figure out. CouchDB was the best of all worlds. Even though it is not great at any one thing ... it is second place in every category which makes it the best all around. We can get to market faster which is the key driver.