Evoq Content Review: "More than DNN for Dummies, DNN for Professionals as well."
Action Forms, My Tokens, My Redirect, Our own that we developed.
Overall Satisfaction with Evoq Content
We use it for our own website, but we also host and use it to develop websites for our Clients. Our business model is a SaaS to the MLM / Network Marketing industry.
We write a lot of our own modules in C# and also buy a few from other developers.
Clients like to control the content and look and feel of their website, with DNN they have the ability to do so but then leave all of the heavy lifting to us to manage the Hardware, Programs, SQL Server and provide the necessary Reporting to them.
- If a Client needs to add a page for a special Event, they can do so without having to contact us.
- If a Client needs to add or change content, text or images at any time day or night they have the ability to do so without having to contact us.
- Our Clients do not have to know anything about HTML, ASP.Net, C#, SQL Server etc. If they know how to use a Word Processor then they can do most anything they need from a Content standpoint by just using their favorite Browser.
- If they need a special Module to do accomplish a certain task and we don't have one then we can provide one of hundreds developed by another developer from the DNN Store. Most modules are less than $100.
- Because DNN uses Skins that are a layer on top of the platform architecture they can have different skins for different pages or departments etc. On the DNN Store there are literally thousands of Responsive Skins available that range in price from $40 - $200.
- The platform is scalable and of course SQL Server is as well. So no matter how large a company gets DNN can handle the task ahead.
- I really only have 2 complaints and they are minor with DNN. First I think that DNN might need to do a better job of certifying Developers that sell modules. Create a standard if you will, much like Apple does with Apps, as not all developers are created equally and support on some modules is lacking with some developers.
- The second thing is I would like to see DNN keeping Developers more informed about upcoming changes to the platform and better co-ordination with developers on time schedules of new releases. Many times it seems the Developers have to play catch up when a new version is released and all of a sudden you may have some Modules that don't play nice with the changes.
- Neither of these are really a major problem as DNN and the community has evolved tremendously over the years and it is fairly easy to find solutions from the community.
- The positive impact is that DNN is fast to deploy and extremely flexibly so we can provide any thing our Clients need in a very short period of time especially with all of the great tools and resources that are available to you. It is definitely a RAD Tool.
- It helps us keep our cost down and our profits up in a tight economy and in a very competitive environment.
- With DNN I have not found a negative to our ROI nor to our business goals. It only enhances our Goals and keeps us profitable.
If you just need to implement a website that is dynamic but not real big in Data Processing almost anyone can do so with very limited knowledge as long as you know how to use a Word Processor and your Browser.
If you don't have experience with setting up a Server to run a website there are Companies like PowerDNN, Rackspace and WinHost that can help and I recommend them in that order if you are using DNN.
If you need a more sophisticated e-commerce website and don't have much experience with Servers, SQL Server etc. then you should find a consultant to help you install and setup not just the DNN Platform but also select the proper Modules to accomplish what you want to do.
If you need a highly customized website that is very data intensive and you are not experienced then be sure to save yourself the time and money by finding a qualified Consultant to help you. The beauty of DNN is that it can handle as simple or as complicated of an Application as you need depending on what your needs are and how far you want to take it.
Using Evoq Content
Users and Roles
Support Headcount Required
Business Processes Supported
- Content Management of text and Images for individuals and Clients with little to no technical skills in the MLM / Network Marketing industry.
- Sign Up and Management of hundreds of thousands of Members / Distributor and Customers in a Genealogical Structure.
- The ability for us to build a SaaS Business Model and offer our Clients a cost effective way to have professional IT services no matter how small or large they are.
- We have used it to build a complete Affiliate Network Retail Mall that pays Cash Back to the Customer from thousands of Retails across the planet.
- We have used it to build a complete Green Mall that offers Customers thousands of well known 'Green & Organic' Products for personal, home and business use.
- We have used it to build a Nutritional Analysis and Diet Management system that lets you create Menus and Plan your Daily Meals and offers healthy product to help you accomplish you weight loss goals. It includes Journals, Weight Tracking, Exercise Tracking, Activity rack and Graphically report your results.
Future Planned Uses
- We are developing a Health and Wellness site for a Client that allows people to find the lowest price for their prescription drugs from thousands of pharmacies across the country by letting the pharmacies bid for your business.
- The prospects are literally endless with DNN.
- We will be developing a Barter system for a new Client in the next 3 months.
Likelihood to Renew
Evaluating Evoq Content and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Product Reputation
- Prior Experience with the Product
- Vendor Reputation
- Existing Relationship with the Vendor
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
- Analyst Reports
- Third-party Reviews
Product reputation by far, was our main deciding factor in transitioning to DNN.
We have been in this business for 28+ years so our Customer Service and the Quality of our Product to our Clients are the number one mission to our company. Since our reputation is so important to us we wanted partners that felt the same way and DNN gave us everything we needed to accomplish our goals and meet our Mission of providing the Best Quality Product and Customer Service to our Clients we possibly could.
Evaluation Lessons Learned
I would not change anything, we tried Ektron CMS Platform and even though it is a good it just didn't meet all of our needs. We researched the other alternatives and everything we found just kept pointing to DNN as the overall leader in this market for features number of deployments, available Skins and Modules and the Customer Support. Just do a search on the internet for CMS software and read for yourself the answers are easy to come by.
I only wish we had done this sooner as it has been the best decision we have made in years.
Evoq Content Implementation
Implementation Details / Implementation Partner
- Implemented in-house
Here was the step we used to implement DNN into our organization.
We installed locally and bought a 1 year Support Contract, we only did this to get up to speed as fast as possible. We were eager to get started and implement for our Clients, since it had all of the CMS features we were looking for.
Once we had a grip on installing the platform and the Modules then we built a test site.
Once we felt comfortable we built started creating our own Custom Modules. This is not necessary for the average company as there are plenty available that will meet their needs.
Next we built our first Clients website and that was it. Total from start to finish was about 3 months.
Change Management Lessons
- Just taking the time to read the documentation but it is this way with anything you dive into.
- Learning to use the available resources and where to find them.
- Learning C# since we needed to write our own custom Modules, but since we were already experienced programmers in other languages this wa snot that big of a deal.
Evoq Content Support
Evoq Content Customer Support Pros and Cons
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
We did at first when we made the transition from our old software development platform and tools to DNN. But once we felt comfortable with the DNN Platform and we got familiar with the Development Tools and found that the Development Community was so helpful we did not feel that it was necessary any longer.
After about 3-4 months we felt like we had a really good grip on how to use and develop with the product.
Exceptional Examples of Evoq Content Support
When we first moved over to DNN, about 5 years ago, we used their paid support with an 800 # and the help and expertise was excellent. If we had a dumb question we would pick up the phone and call, we never sat there on hold waiting. They were quick to respond with the correct answers we needed.
Their Sales team is also very helpful on selecting the correct version for your needs which in a way is also a Customer Service related issue.
Using Evoq Content
Usability Pros and Cons
Like to use
Easy to use
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Adding Pages and Content are a breeze for even the novice as long as they know how to use a Browser and a Word Processor.
- Creating internal or external Links from images or text is extremely easy.
- Creating a professional looking website is a no brainer.
- Adding Forms that store data to a database is not for the novice but with the right Module and a little help can be done.
- SEO is a little difficult if you do not use the proper available Modules and know what you are doing. But many people know how to do it correctly so you can get there with the right tools and people.
- CSS and layout you may need a little help from someone that understand s CSS to achieve a knockout professional looking site but there are plenty of people and tools available for this as well.