Halogen Pros and Cons
Updated July 29, 2016
Halogen Pros and Cons
Score 8 out of 10
- Halogen e360 Multirater
- Halogen eSuccession
Overall Satisfaction with Halogen Software
HR had a need to centralize all reviews into an easy to use system of record. They are using it to address the needs of handling reviews within the organization. Reviews have been a difficult task to coordinate into a centralized location in the past due to number of managers in the company as well as all the different types of employees within the organization.
- Halogen is available in the cloud. This allowed users who were not in positions with access to PCs to utilize the software from home when near a pc.
- Halogen is able to import data from our main ERP system using a file data dump and continuous reload each day.
- Halogen is useful for coordinating between multiple areas of the organization. HR no longer has to send out individual emails to users but instead send system messages within the application to let users know their need to complete their reviews.
- Since we are using a hosted product their upgrades were not coordinated in the manner we were used to. For Large customers we have audit controls to abide where we have to decide when a patch is put into production. Halogen never gave us a chance to test the patches and sometimes we were notified after the fact of the patch install.
- If a patch was installed there was no way to back out a patch. If would have been nice to be able to either test the patches or give some lead time to at least forewarn our users. Sometimes we would be stuck for hours with out the system when we needed it most.
- Some of the controls within Halogen are a little clunky to understand. Maybe if some of the stuff that is not needed could be hidden and only available upon request that would be great.
- We were not able to get the data out of system. This meant we could not write reports from the data nor could we take the info and load it back into our system. During our implementation everything we asked for during presales was an added on cost. Thus this was a feature we were not able to take advantage of out of the box without an additional charge.
- We are able to get our reviews done in a quicker amount of time. Instead of 4-8 weeks we were able to get it done under a month.
- Halogen has gotten better at given us a heads up when the system will be down. Most patches are done overnight so we can at least verify it was done, but their success rate of a patch not breaking something is not at 99%. So we do lose productivity when the system is down.
- The tool is easier to do so there are fewer questions from users outside the core team.
Halogen does get the job done. It is a better product then we used in the past. There are some shortcomings with the product that we were able to address as a custom feature, but it was additional and we had to pay to get it done. There was no option for our team to do the development. Make sure to ask for everything you need and to see if it is included out of the box as this was our biggest stunner.