Heroku's neat implementation and great documentation made it a great solution for building web apps
Overall Satisfaction with Heroku
We used Heroku to deploy two Node.js web apps for clients in our Health practice. Both apps integrated various COTS products and were brought to market very quickly.
- Integrates with Git and GitHub
- Handles all the infrastructure requirements and lets us focus on development
- Documentation is fantastic
- Requires technical knowledge to use; you need an engineer for the project
- Costs money to scale properly
- Made great use of staff resources; we didn't need to procure any infrastructure or have any infrastructure support
- Supports agile methodology; very short time to market
- Takes care of versioning due to integration with Git
Heroku is another layer of abstraction on top of AWS that is targeted toward a very specific use case (building a web app in a limited list of languages). It takes much less configuration and expertise than AWS and is much more robust and scalable than GoDaddy.
All my answers were answered thoroughly and well within their advertised timeframes.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Yes - It was not so much a bug with Heroku as a bug with npm, and they gave me the fix within hours.
So apparently NPM unilaterally and without much warning discontinued support for packages with self-signed certificates. This well known issue had many solutions posted online within 34 hours of it happening but none of them were specific to Heroku. I emailed support and received a full set of instructions for a bug fix within hours which worked perfectly. So they even solve other peoples' bugs with alacrity!
While there is a steep learning curve, I love learning and I love how Heroku works. I would suggest that companies using it budget plenty of time for even a highly technical engineer to learn it. But learn it they will, and they will probably love it, too.
Like to use
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
Requires technical support
Lots to learn
- Upgrading the database plan
- Automatically Setting environment variables
- Load testing