Overall Satisfaction with Juniper SRX
The Juniper platform is one of our core devices for customers through our partner. They have the ability to work in almost any situation we put them into. From basic edge routers to full stateful firewall to BGP peering for high availability use cases. The devices have a good background in security and once updated to the current firmware, have no issues passing audits.
- The ease of use for the CLI is a huge benefit. Unlike the Cisco platform, all changes are implemented in a commit statement vs. live on the box.
- The devices hit a price point that is very competitive.
- Dynamic routing support is a huge win.
- The areas that can improve are met by higher-level platforms within the Juniper portfolio.
- It is a workhorse for our field operations. It provides the last touch for an ISP to the customer. The customer has no view of the device, but with the repeatability of the device, they do not need to.
- The ability to roll out a dynamic routing protocol attached to a security zone allows elasticity to the environment that supports growth.
- VLAN support on the inside interfaces allow this to be the only device in some smaller deployments we install these in.
The comparison between the different firewalls is really down to preference and price at this point. The SRX is a solid device, and we have not seen a hardware failure to date. The Juniper support I have had is stellar and has helped me out with larger more complex scenario development.
Do you think Juniper SRX delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Juniper SRX's feature set?
Did Juniper SRX live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Juniper SRX go as expected?
Would you buy Juniper SRX again?
Based on a head to head with Cisco ISR platform, it handles very well and exceeds in a few aspects. The ability to attach policy to DNS values is a huge win in the comparison. Juniper embraced the API driven model much easier than Cisco and other vendors, and are able to provide a much better hook-in with that area.