Overall Satisfaction with Marketo
Marketo is being used by my organization primarily for lead database management, database segmentation, lead scoring, nurturing campaigns, and content creation. Marketo is operated by the marketing team, but we work closely with sales to ensure our teams and objectives are aligned, which means sales is a large player in the decisions we implement in Marketo.
Sales would sometimes be unimpressed with the quality of leads marketing would send over. Marketo’s lead scoring allows us to customize criteria for scoring and send the most qualified leads over to sales. This means that the prospects sales does contact will be much more receptive to our message and we can “strike while the pan is hot”. Secondly, nothing is worse than sending an email or building a program and having the wrong fields update or the wrong campaigns trigger. Marketo allows you to be proactive and see which assets, campaigns, and fields are being used by others to ensure careful building and less troubleshooting when things don’t happen as you expect them to. These are just two business problems that have been remedied with Marketo.
- Customizable: the flexibility of Marketo’s tools (especially smart campaigns, programs, tokens, and segmentation) allows users to customize and create processes to meet any marketing need.
- Ease of use: the ability to create email and landing page templates and the ability to clone programs and campaigns allow for both time-saving and fewer errors in creation.
- Learning Resources: Marketo's world-class community enables users to come together to share new product ideas, post discussions asking for guidance on overcoming marketing challenges, and share tips/tricks to get the most out of their Marketo investment. Product docs allow in-depth documentation and examples on every tool available in Marketo. Marketo also offers a certification program allowing users to showcase their Marketo proficiency.
- Small bugs here and there, but you expect that with any marketing automation platform.
- Navigation could be a bit easier when jumping from different areas of the platform to others and having more access to perform functions from different areas (ex. cannot run “Lead Actions” from smart campaign’s results tab, program’s members tab, or Lead Details page).
- Product docs, while allowing great in-depth documentation, tend to be out-of-date for product features that have since been updated.
- Support will respond to a case fairly promptly, but sometimes it can take a few days for a final resolution.
- Customer Service
- Lead Management
- Prospecting / New Business
Marketo is well-suited to meet the needs of your marketing team because it is so customizable and robust with its capabilities. Be prepared to spend adequate time in the first few months learning the basics of the system and researching the community and product docs. There is going to be a steep learning curve here, but that is expected with implementing a system with such robust capabilities. Also be prepared to have sales commit some time during the implementation of Marketo to make sure both teams are aligned in terms of lead scoring, lead flow, lead assignment, and sales alerts.