Review of MATLAB
April 23, 2020
Review of MATLAB
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with MATLAB
MATLAB is used as a teaching instrument at the university. We have a class dedicated to the learning of this program. It is the only programming class in the mechanical engineering courses. It is a program used by many companies outside school, so the university is getting us prepared to an extensive use of it.
- Advanced calculus as well as programming, all bundled up together.
- Programming language somewhat similar to other programming software.
- Intuitive built-in tutorials.
- Even though it is pretty similar to other programming tools, there are some differences that are unique to MATLAB that could be changed, such as index starting at 1 instead of 0.
- It would be nice to have premade parts of program, such as counters or comparators.
- Sometimes programming can be daunting. Interactive programming tutorials or video playlist for beginners.
- Learn the basis of programming.
- Learn the language of programming.
- Learn the structure and norms in programming.
The built-in search engine is not as performing as I wish it would be. However, the YouTube channel has a vast library of informative video that can help understanding the software. Also, many other software have a nice bridge into MATLAB, which makes it very versatile. Overall, the support for MATLAB is good.
Do you think MATLAB delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with MATLAB's feature set?
Did MATLAB live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of MATLAB go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy MATLAB again?
For a mechanical engineer, MATLAB can be pretty useful for data collection and analysis. It can reveal the X best results from an excel sheet, create a program for manual data entry or plot data. However, it would not be appropriate for more concrete designs, analysis of parts and assembly.