MATLAB as statistical tool

April 09, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of MATLAB, and make your voice heard!

Student

Home

$149

perpetual license

What is MATLAB?

MatLab is a predictive analytics and computing platform based on a proprietary programming language. MatLab is used across industry and academia.

MATLAB Video

MATLAB Introduction

MATLAB Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac

What is MATLAB?

What is MATLAB's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 9.8.

Who uses MATLAB?

The most common users of MATLAB are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Higher Education industry.

Doyle Reynolds | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using MATLAB for quite a long time and we use it quite frequently at Broward. It is constantly used within our research groups and by quite a lot of undergrad and postgraduate students. For the most part, we use the software for simulation purposes and we also interface MATLAB when teaching other program languages such as Fortran, as the engine allows for this. The interface is incredibly intuitive and the modeling of differential equations/integrals allows us to quickly and efficiently process large amounts of data in a short time. Currently, we are running a machine learning course, which teaches the students how to visualize and build neural networks, so building prototypes of these models helps develop an underlying understanding of the mathematics involved.
  • MATLAB is great at providing in-depth models and simulations with very little coding, this is particularly useful to non-coders and potential data scientists who know very little or basic understanding of coding languages. The drag and drop components of the software are ideal and its simplicity allows the user to really understand the math behind the simulations running.
  • It is fantastic for visualizing data, without being able to properly visualize data is almost useless, MATLAB allows the users to quickly dissect and understand how different data sets affect different variables and so forth.
  • It has a wide range of supportive documentation and the online community is very active and engaged. If you ever have any problems, you can always count on someone being there to help you understand what is going on.
  • I believe the software is quite expensive, so it is not open to independent parties which is a shame as it is fantastic at what it does, if they could find a way to include independent people rather than mass groups, I think it would really benefit a lot of people.
  • The responsiveness of the software is not always the best and this can be very hindering to the user, especially when working with sensitive data/models.
  • MATLAB is inefficient in some of its works and sometimes it is not the best tool for the job, there are times when it is quicker to write scripts in Python that run and work much better than they would ever do in MATLAB.
There are many specific scenarios where MATLAB is well suited. Researchers need fast modeling and fast prototypes for data. In a research environment, new ideas are always popping up so it is important to be able to distinguish quickly what methods are needed and how to get things done. Mostly we know in advance what methods will be successful in our modeling so the only caveat we have is programming time- this is not too much of a problem, because a lot of time is saved as everything needed to run a successful simulation is already outlined in MATLAB variety of functions. I think situations, where MATLAB is less suited, are for people which already can code really well- or already know languages that outperform MATLAB in certain scenarios, such as Python. As a general program language, it often un-performs and although does integrate into other languages such as Fortran, it is quirky and quite slow for many a task.
Karambir Singh Khalsa | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used MATLAB to import and process raw EEG data gathered using the Muse Brain Sensing Headband as part of a dissertation research project.
  • Task automation
  • Toolkit development and implementation
  • Plotting and graphing of data
  • Built-in support for a variety of commonly used file formats
  • Productivity tools in the editor such as code-completion
  • Integration with source control products
MATLAB is well suited for data which needs to be displayed in a plot. It is also good for importing and processing raw data.
Saransh Dikshit | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using MATLAB for almost all of my academic stuff. I use it for solving my homework and completing my research. I have used it to do data processing and filtering. I have used the inbuilt artificial neural network models for my work. I used ANN for rainfall-runoff modeling for my research. I have also used it to do earthquake and wind excitation related studies. I have used MATLAB to generate time histories for wind loads and earthquake loads. For all the experiments that I carry out in my research, I use MATLAB for data filtering to remove noise from the obtained experimental results. I have used MATLAB for simple finite element modeling as well.
  • It has a very user friendly library which helps users learn this software fairly quickly in a short span of time.
  • The graphical user interface provided by the software is really good.
  • The code that a person writes allows options for debugging.
  • One can visualize the flow of control of their code inside MATLAB.
  • I would want for the library to get updated more regularly.
  • MATLAB uses a lot of computer memory for running heavy simulations. Its performance could certainly be optimized.
  • Apart from this, I think MATLAB is a very powerful software and helps in almost every scenario of engineering.
MATLAB is well suited for data processing and filtering. It can be used well with civil engineering problems related to earthquake or wind engineering. It has a lot of inbuilt models within it. I have used it for Artificial Neural Networks. I have run heavy simulations with MATLAB and the results that I obtained were similar to what I got when I did heavy finite element simulations.
MATLAB is used within our Data and Analytics team. Since it has a large array of computation library around images and speech, we used it to preprocess images and extract some principal features, also for one project revolving speech modulation we used to test various overlapping frequencies to distort sound. We used an extensive sox library as well its matrix processing capability.
  • Rapid prototyping of signal processing applications.
  • Ease of testing and comes with a good editor and toolset.
  • Data Analytics and Matrix Processing Capabilities.
  • It a is costly utililty.
  • Software can be made easy and user friendly.
  • Makes the system slow and takes up lot of resources.
It is very easy for programming. A lot of resources and helps available at a click in the software itself. The main advantage is it has many toolboxes for almost every field. The way of importing data is very easy and intuitive. The graph customization is very helpful for research and academics Major drawback is size of the package and it constantly gets bigger every year, also integration is something it lacks like with other libraries.
Morteza Banagar | TrustRadius Reviewer
[MATLAB] is being used by most of the engineering students at Virginia Tech. Most of the time, we use it for simulation purposes. It can also be used to evaluate complex integrals and summation. Its Signal Processing toolbox is very helpful for doing related projects. I also use it as a high-level programming tool.
  • Very simple and easy-to-use programming features (m-files)
  • Very strong technical toolboxes for almost any engineering needs (esp. in electrical engineering)
  • Effective and beautiful plotting features
  • Its debugging environment can be improved (could be more similar to C++ or C# editing environments)
  • Its new plotting environment is very different from the previous versions! It is improved in options, but a bit hard for an old user to catch up with
  • It would have been excellent if Matlab's usage of RAM could be limited. More precisely, I would like to have the option not to let Matlab eat all the memory!
It's almost the most advanced and powerful calculator you can find. This makes [MATLAB] very suitable for solving/testing almost any engineering problem. I myself have benefitted from [MATLAB] from my early Bachelor studies and then at work. You can also learn it very quickly as the language is very intuitive, not to mention its super good Help page!
Tyler Grudowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MATLAB for a variety of different functions at NoMo Diagnostics. We do a ton of data analyzation using the software, where we take huge amounts of data and run them through a script that was developed in MATLAB. We also use the software to output graphs and plots from this data to get a visual of a data set.
  • MATLAB is very good at helping me create files that I can share anywhere and with anyone. It allows me to write a script and then share it with people so they can open it on the notepad app on their Mac or PC.
  • I like that MATLAB can be used on both Mac and PC. I prefer to use a Mac when doing work, so it's nice that you can obtain the software for either operating system, and then work seamlessly between the two.
  • MATLAB's help network is extremely vast. Inside the manual, you can find pretty much any function that you could possibly need to use.
  • I wish it was easier to go through the help manual to find what you need. If you know the keyword that you need to use, it's very easy to just type that in to the program and it will take you to the proper spot. If you don't know the keyword, it is extremely hard to find what you are looking for sometimes.
  • The program itself is not very intuitive for first-time users. Once you get used to the software, it is much more straightforward, but it is hard to just pick it up and begin to use MATLAB.
  • Because MATLAB is more of a mathematics and engineering help software, you cannot write a ton of in-depth code using it. If you are looking to develop a whole application for a tablet or something of the like, you need to learn another language.
MATLAB is fantastic for analyzing, sorting, and displaying data. I use it all the time to make large data sets easier to understand. It is fantastic for making plots and graphs that display data sets. When you are looking to develop a full application to load onto a smartphone or tablet, MATLAB will not be enough.
Carol Victor | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using it for data analysis for my research thesis.
  • Advanced Mathematical capabilities
  • Efficient
  • Great data visualization
  • Not as commonly utilized in the analysis industry
  • Price tag
Matlab is a great tool when utilized for complex mathematical equations, simulations, or GUI. It's very simple to learn and utilize, compared to Python in my experience.
Ryan McGarry | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MATLAB in constructing our software platform, data analytics, neurophysiological data processing, and algorithm development. Our product uses MATLAB to process data captured from neurophysiological sensors in a live environment, and the software connects with a UI to graph live feedback. Furthermore, our science department uses MATLAB to analyze and plot other data to provide insights for our customers.
  • Neurophysiological algorithm development, as there are numerous built-in and pre-existing third-party packages to capture data from neuro devices and process it.
  • MATLAB is very useful for data analytics, as there are built-in packages to provide out-of-the-box data solutions.
  • Code versioning is integrated in MATLAB so that it can easily connect to Bitbucket/Git repositories if you have multiple developers or data scientists working on a single codebase.
  • MATLAB can be bulky, requiring a lot of time to install and open.
  • Fewer scientists and developers use MATLAB compared to Python these days, making it more difficult to grow a team for a project with the core language written in MATLAB.
  • There are fewer third-party packages for MATLAB compared to Python and other programming languages.
  • While programs written in MATLAB are highly capable of performing almost any task, it can often be a tricky or "hacky" process to accomplish different tasks that other languages are better suited to do.
MATLAB has excellent plugins for processing and analyzing data. Furthermore, it is highly reliable for performing complex calculations/computations (such as running different types of dimensionality reduction techniques on datasets) and is a great environment for developing new algorithms.
They provide regular links to webinars and group discussions on various MATLAB-related topics. This supports the customer in learning new techniques and understanding new features. Customer support is easily accessible and there are multiple forums as well.
April 26, 2021

MATLAB, The Great

Alejandro Daniel Copati | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use MATLAB mainly to develop GUI and scripts to control our electronic products. I also used MATLAB in the University to solve Mathematics and Electronics problems.

In the company, we use MATLAB in the Electronics and Development department, precisely because of the ease of MATLAB when creating GUIs and being able to remotely control the devices we manufacture and test, either through USB, or WiFi or Bluetooth.

• Very powerful console. You can do anything directly through the MATLAB console with no need to write a whole C/C++ program to do simple things.
  • Ease of creating a simple and intuitive GUI with a very powerful wizard.
  • A lot of professional packages and toolboxes for complex problems resolutions. Like Signal Processing, Image Processing, Calculus, etc.
  • The language of programing is like a very nice version of C/C++.
  • The handling of the variables is all making for MATLAB, you don't need to pay attention if you are using more memory that you have, for write one example. MATLAB take care of your stuff and optimize it.
  • When a GUI start to grow up and have many objects, the performance of it starts to decrease very quickly and start to crash sometimes.
  • You can not have more than one function in each file. I mean, you can't make a sort of library in one .m file. If you have different functions, you have to have different files.
  • I think that a very good improvement is that MATLAB can understand the C/C++ sentence and data types. I mean, if I have an array of hexadecimal values in C/C++, I can't copy that in MATLAB because I can't use "0xA4" for the A4 hex value, for example.
MATLAB is perfect for education, with all the specific and professional toolboxes that it has, is a very powerful suite to learn how to develop a workable platform.

I think that is a little less appropriate in the case that you are an applications developer, where you have to make an application that has to work independently if the user has or hasn't idea how to use MATLAB.
MATLAB is used across the whole department and simplifies the handling of mass amounts of information and computations. Previously we would attempt to use Excel, which is okay but makes it much harder to visualize your equations. MATLAB also has a lot more well documents commands/functions that make computations and matrix operations tremendously easier than other comparable software. As an engineer I also think it is actually simpler to use than say Python.
  • Creating iterative solvers to arrive to an ideal answer or solution for something like a design or optimization problem
  • Performing mathematical operations on functions that also have functions nested within them
  • Plotting both 2d and 3d graphs with well labeled data
  • As with many coding software pieces, it sometimes can be tricky troubleshooting errors in your code.
  • Wish testing particular samples of the code was easier
MATLAB really does best for solving computational problems in math and engineering. Especially when you have to use a lot of functions in your solving process, or if you have a nonlinear equation that must be iteratively solved. [MATLAB] can also perform things like integration and derivation on your equations that you put into it.
I use MATLAB in many of my courses. Currently, I am using it in an advanced math modeling course (to solve systems of differential equations) and in an advanced mathematical software course. The interface is fairly intuitive and the programming structures are easy to understand, making this software an ideal way to teach mathematical programming to students. MATLAB is a package that many of the students will find in their workplaces when they get out in industry.
  • Matrix operations
  • Numerical methods
  • Plotting
  • A bit of a learning curve, especially for those just learning to program
  • Error messages could be more informative
Engineering, mathematical modeling, and machine learning are all fields where MATLAB will shine. It's fast, reliable, and relatively easy to use. MATLAB is the de facto standard when it comes to producing high-quality plots. If you need to deal with large data sets, and not take forever processing them, MATLAB may very well be the tool for you!
We use [MATLAB] for statistical analysis for our finance and accounting team. [MATLAB] can be used for those analysis that can't be done in excel.
It helps us to analyze sales for different products and and provide ways to visualize Data.
  • Great for statistical analysis
  • Easy to visualize the code being written into matlab
  • It's easy to learn and use and has an user friendly library
  • Written codes are easy to debug
  • Needs to be more compatible with different programs
  • Matlab is slow and crashes a lot
  • License is expensive
[MATLAB] is great for data analysis and for visualizing data but it can be expensive. Learning curve isn't bad but [MATLAB] tends to crash often and can be slow.
Jeffrey Staw | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using MATLAB to support prototyping efforts in machine learning mathematical algorithms. It's great for getting ideas into a system and capable of performing tests on hypotheses. It's good because it does not require a significant, from-scratch, programming implementation--that saves time and effort, requires a lower level of technical expertise, and ultimately leads to a reduced time to market and better overall solutions once the implementation does finally go into a more extensible language like C++.
  • Data visualization
  • Complex mathematics
  • Multiple options for solving mathematical problems--not just one way to solve each problem.
  • Learning the syntax is challenging
  • Runtime for some mathematical formulations can be very hardware intensive
  • Interoperability with other programming environments is somewhat limited, specifically when you look at the functionality, it's sometimes hard to integrate
MATLAB is great for prototyping and really great for getting speed to market for those that know the software well. The syntax can be a little different for classical programmers, so there is a bit of a learning curve that needs to be overcome. As a machine learning prototyping tool, it's got some nice advantages--does calculus and the necessary algorithms to support ML if you know what functions to call and how to manipulate the data.
MATLAB in the company is used to prototype and develop algorithms for image processing and to automate lab equipments it the workplace. We also use it for data analysis. Mostly for image processing and algorithm development, though.
  • Good for quick prototyping.
  • Quick data analysis on small datasets
  • Ease of learning
  • Very supportive online help doccumentation
  • Extensive user base for questions and a very active community
  • Modularity
  • Support for object oriented programming
  • Making functions available for other languages/ Ability to develop APIs for other languages
MATLAB is very good for quick prototyping and analysis of small data sets preferably below 10 GB of data. Above 10 GB it typically runs out of memory. Deployment of a project could be a bit troublesome.
MATLAB is a program that is frequently used in numerical calculations. Used for testing, simulation and modeling purposes. Thanks to the ready-to-use functions, it enables us to perform many processes quickly in a short time. It is an application that every engineer should know a little. The fact that their indexes are different compared to other applications is a bit of a reflection in code conversions. It allows many operations with many toolboxes. The resources outside the matworks are minimal. In my undergraduate thesis, I wrote my image processing application on matlab. The MATLAB installation takes up a lot of space on the computer, so installing more than one version on one computer at the same time greatly slows down the computer. Arithmetic operations are quite simple compared to other programming languages. matrix operations, function and data drawing, algorithm development, allows user interface creation.
  • Less code can be done by writing many operations.
  • Different library support.
  • Installation files take up too much space on the computer.
  • The computer becomes very slow when MATLAB is on.
  • All plugins should be free.
In 2015, I developed my undergraduate thesis on face recognition in MATLAB. In 2020, I used MATLAB application for my master thesis in image processing. It made my job very easy while implementing my thesis because it has many ready-made functions. Since the necessary documentation was available on MathWorks, I was able to develop applications quickly without using any other resources.
There is a detailed help document.
April 23, 2020

Review of MATLAB

MATLAB is used as a teaching instrument at the university. We have a class dedicated to the learning of this program. It is the only programming class in the mechanical engineering courses. It is a program used by many companies outside school, so the university is getting us prepared to an extensive use of it.
  • Advanced calculus as well as programming, all bundled up together.
  • Programming language somewhat similar to other programming software.
  • Intuitive built-in tutorials.
  • Even though it is pretty similar to other programming tools, there are some differences that are unique to MATLAB that could be changed, such as index starting at 1 instead of 0.
  • It would be nice to have premade parts of program, such as counters or comparators.
  • Sometimes programming can be daunting. Interactive programming tutorials or video playlist for beginners.
For a mechanical engineer, MATLAB can be pretty useful for data collection and analysis. It can reveal the X best results from an excel sheet, create a program for manual data entry or plot data. However, it would not be appropriate for more concrete designs, analysis of parts and assembly.
The built-in search engine is not as performing as I wish it would be. However, the YouTube channel has a vast library of informative video that can help understanding the software. Also, many other software have a nice bridge into MATLAB, which makes it very versatile. Overall, the support for MATLAB is good.
February 27, 2020

MATLAB is quite useful

MATLAB is used for running data analytics, power systems simulations, and optimization studies, often along with third-party platforms like CPLEX and Gurobi.
  • User-friendly interface, the learning curve is smooth.
  • Plotting functions are diverse, can save a figure in an editable format.
  • Interfaces with many tools in different fields
  • Subject-specific toolboxes
  • Expensive
  • Bulky, little slow as the size of input data increases
MATLAB is well-suited for running proof-of-concept simulations. The learning curve is smooth, so setting up initial experiments is easy. MATLAB is well-respected in the academic community as well as the industry.
Extensive documentation is available from Mathworks.
It has been used as a learning tool to teach math concepts that cannot be computed by hand. It is initially taught and introduced and then students are expected to pick it up and learn on their own. It is useful and an easy to learn coding program and excellent visualization tool.
  • Numerical computing
  • Graphical modeling
  • Education tool
  • Better UI with Mac/IOs users
I use it as a math tool for functions not done by hand, and a good way to view plots and data quickly. Also recently used as a tool to study next gen sequencing data from DNA sequencing results. The program can be made very simple to use, so that anyone without programing experience can use it.
November 30, 2019

Matlab Review

Matlab is mostly used in our engineering and data science department for data analysis. It addresses problems and solutions that align with how we market our products to our customers. It helps identify ways that could visualize and explore our data.
  • Matlab implements and tests algorithms easily.
  • Matlab develops computational codes easily.
  • Matlab does a very good job of debugging easily.
  • Matlab crashes frequently.
  • The license for Matlab is very costly.
  • It is very difficult to cross compile Matlab with other languages.
Matlab is a good language to learn. It helps users, programmers, and researchers perform extensive data analysis and visualization. It is easy to use but can crash more frequent because of how old it is. Users do not have to be programmatically inclined to use or learn Matlab.
Matlab support is good but could use some tweaking. It can be frustrating with the fact that add-ons are not available for students or individual license holders. Some of the functions are filled with bugs and features. Despite that, the support is good and it's worth it.
Bernardo J Garcia Jr, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
MATLAB is primarily used by the geophysics group in our company to understand the geophysical makeup of their wells to add insight for their drilling program.
  • The programing language to enable functions is straight forward and fairly intuitive to understand.
  • MATLAB does have intro lessons to help end-users become familiar with the MATLAB and its specific programming language.
  • MATLAB has an incredible community of users and challenges to further and help end-users to use MATLAB for leisure and professional purposes.
  • More examples of how MATLAB can be used in other functional areas such as Finance and Accounting. I can definitely see how MatLab can be used for mathematics and sciences and other statistical uses but it is readily apparent for other areas.
MATLAB is well suite for professionals in the geophysics area in oil and gas industry, actuarial insurance industry, astrophysics professionals, etc.
This is a neutral rating as I have not used support for MATLAB.
chamika gangul | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using MATLAB to do my assignments and projects. MATLAB covers any areas including simulation things, solving complex mathematics problems, machine learning, matrix related calculations. I’m working mainly on machine learning, machine vision, and neural networks. So, I must build prototypes of the footprints of those models. Using MATLAB for prototyping save more coding time than other languages.
  • MATLAB helps in simulating and modeling systems. We don’t need much coding knowledge to model/simulate systems. We just need to drag and drop components and connect them. Ideal for math students.
  • Codes are simple and clear. We don’t want to worry about memory management and other coding rules and regulations. Syntaxes are simple and flexible. There are powerful codes and they can be written in one or two lines.
  • MATLAB is ideal for making prototypes. As we don’t want to worry about coding, we can focus totally on the math part.
  • Great tool for visualizing data. As I’m doing projects on data science, I know the importance of visualizing data before developing models.
  • There should be a guiding program integrated with the software for beginners.
  • There should be plugins to import other scripts written in other languages.
  • MATLAB should allow users to add or remove features. Thee are unwanted features and functionalities for some users.
MATLAB is well suited for doing AI stuff such as machine learning, neural networks, machine vision. We can use MATLAB for Simulating and modeling these systems.
The support from MATLAB is good. the community support is considerably great. There are FAQs that are relevant are more helpful for customers. The inbuild help section and documents supply a detailed description of the codes and functions.
Jatin Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer
MATLAB is used by our organization for handling various major projects. It has been used throughout the organization. It addresses the major problems of development and handling various projects in object detection and the medical field. It also has got major importance in the field of research and development. It is very helpful for students as well as researchers.
  • Latest version include support of deep and machine learning.
  • Various tool box for processing and work in various fields.
  • Medical image enhancement is one of major use in MATLAB.
  • Need improvement in learning module.
  • The support for previous version is not available for new version users.
  • The signal processing tool box need major changes.
The MATLAB is suited in various fields. It is best suited for the field of research and development. The major problems occur where we need to enhance and detect anything in an image, maybe medical images. MATLAB is also used in simulating various wireless networks with the latest technology.
The overall support of MATLAB is good. We can create the account on MATLAB and easily access the community and post the questions and check for the previous posts. The guidelines are available for MATLAB, it comes with 1-month free trial license and it also provides full functionality in the trial period.
Shelby Bowden | TrustRadius Reviewer
MATLAB is used by both my lab and the general department. We often utilize this program to perform many of the statistical analyses that are much more difficult to do in excel or by hand. It is also very useful for us to use for creation of codes which we can share with students to use in labs.
  • Very easy to write your own operations and share with others
  • Great statistical processing capabilities
  • Very user friendly for even inexperienced programmers
  • It is often difficult to receive help on issues with writing code
  • To a new user, it can often be overwhelming to start. A tutorial would be great!
  • Better compatibility with other programs
It is really one of the only programs that is decent in computing statistical processes. While the R program can also be used for many of the same tasks, I have found that MATLAB is generally more proficient at complex or long statistical calculations. Unlike R, MATLAB is often difficult to produce good-looking outputs
Jevgenijs Steinbuks | TrustRadius Reviewer
MATLAB is primarily used by the Macroeconomists in the Research Department and Macroeconomics and Fiscal Management Teams to solve DSGE and other numerical models, and sometimes do time-series econometric analysis.
  • Excellent treatment of linear algebra and matrix manipulation
  • Easy and clear syntax
  • User friendly interface
  • Weak treatment of non-linear problems
  • Slow compared to key competitors such as Julia
  • Licensing issues make it difficult to work with models and large datasets that require parallelization
MATLAB is very good for solving any linear models. Also good for solving linearized DSGEs where toolboxes such as Dynare come very handy. It has some nice toolboxes for time-series econometrics, Kalman filtering, and Bayesian estimation.
MATLAB is used by our organization mainly within the firmware and software department, but there are several mechanical engineers who also utilize the program. Some of our disciplines also use MATLAB for manipulation of signals and images. For me, the software is used to make programs and functional GUIs.
  • Plotting data
  • Matrix manipulation
  • GUIs
  • Price. The cost can be prohibitive.
  • Responsiveness of the software
  • No autofilling
MATLAB is best suited for matrix manipulation. It is a very powerful computational tool used by many different disciplines of engineers, but is very easy to use. You can write a script to work with most hardware.