MatLab is a predictive analytics and computing platform based on a proprietary programming language. MatLab is used across industry and academia.Why I Prefer MatLab over PythonWe use MatLab as our go-to engineering to programming platform. Our whole research procedure is vertically integrated using MatLab - we use MatLab's data acquisition toolbox to collect experimental data; its statistical tool-boxes to perform statistical analysis on the collected data and use its general programming interface to post-process the data and to make multi-physics simulation models to study the observed phenomenon.,Has robust and easy-to-use debugging tools that can help one identify problems in one's codes. Rich, well-developed and efficient library of mathematical and statistical functions that one might need to develop models or perform statistical analysis. A very active online user community that is a great resource in terms of seeking help when you hit a snag. Great help literature (and sometimes videos too) on all tools making it possible for all to train themselves.,MatLab is pricier than most of its competitors and because of this reason, many organizations are moving towards cheaper alternatives - mostly Python. MatLab is inefficient when it comes to performing a large number of iterations. It gets laggy and often crashes. Python is better in this regard. There is a limited number of hardware options (mostly NI) that can be connected directly to the data acquisition toolbox.,6,Positive: Helped me integrate my whole research process. Positive: Given me the freedom to get rid of third party "black-box" design tools that I could not customize to meet my needs. Negative: Forced me - and my colleagues - to learn a skill that is increasingly becoming rare in the industry because of its price.,,Webex Meetings, SOLIDWORKSMATLAB: not just a programming environmentMATLAB is used across the entire University. There are network licenses that can be used in the many computer labs across campus, and thus can either be used by instructors within their courses or by students working on a project individually. MATLAB is used primarily to teach concepts of control systems, neural networks and to run computer simulations.,A great high-level abstraction programming language that's very easy to learn yet extremely powerful for more advanced users to take advantage of its computing capabilities. Top notch documentation that's built directly into the programming environment and very well structured courses/workshops can be found online (free). Great support team and frequently updated application that's designed to make efficient use of modern Intel processor's available resources. Diverse types of licensing (students, professional, organizational) allow for flexible plans and can be customized to include the toolboxes you require for your specific use case.,MATLAB should have a full free version (without time limit) in order to be more accessible and thus have a greater user community. The idea of having toolboxes to work directly with hardware (microcontrollers, single-board computers) is great, but one can tell it isn't updated very frequently and there isn't as much documentation available as with more common resources. Our organization had a lot of trouble getting our network licenses to work properly and there wasn't any local service provider that could help us get it to work faster.,10,It has given us access to new programming tools and standards that we previously didn't have access to. It has created a lot of opportunities for our students to generate new projects that move our university forward and into new fields of study. It has allowed our faculty to experiment and simulate systems without having to create more expensive and resource hungry real-life models, saving us a lot in our budget.,Wolfram Mathematica, National Instruments Multisim and National Instruments LabVIEW,National Instruments LabVIEW, Wolfram MathematicaMATLAB - a simple, powerful data analysis toolWe use MATLAB for a variety of different functions at NoMo Diagnostics. We do a ton of data analyzation using the software, where we take huge amounts of data and run them through a script that was developed in MATLAB. We also use the software to output graphs and plots from this data to get a visual of a data set.,MATLAB is very good at helping me create files that I can share anywhere and with anyone. It allows me to write a script and then share it with people so they can open it on the notepad app on their Mac or PC. I like that MATLAB can be used on both Mac and PC. I prefer to use a Mac when doing work, so it's nice that you can obtain the software for either operating system, and then work seamlessly between the two. MATLAB's help network is extremely vast. Inside the manual, you can find pretty much any function that you could possibly need to use.,I wish it was easier to go through the help manual to find what you need. If you know the keyword that you need to use, it's very easy to just type that in to the program and it will take you to the proper spot. If you don't know the keyword, it is extremely hard to find what you are looking for sometimes. The program itself is not very intuitive for first-time users. Once you get used to the software, it is much more straightforward, but it is hard to just pick it up and begin to use MATLAB. Because MATLAB is more of a mathematics and engineering help software, you cannot write a ton of in-depth code using it. If you are looking to develop a whole application for a tablet or something of the like, you need to learn another language.,7,MATLAB helps us quickly sort through large sets of data because we keep the same script each time we run an analyzation, making it very efficient to run this whole process. The software makes it super easy for us to create plots that we can then show to investors or clients to display our data. We are also looking to create an app for our product, and we will not be able to do that on MATLAB, therefore creating a limiting issue and a new learning curve for a programming language.,National Instruments LabVIEW,National Instruments LabVIEW, SOLIDWORKS, Fusion 360MATLAB - The powerful platform to solve complicated problemsI am a graduate research assistant and I always use MATLAB for my research purposes, as does my whole research group. Our university also uses this software, especially graduate students. The main use of MATLAB is to create high-quality publishable figures, solve the more complicated problems through coding, fit my data with the curve fitting toolbox, optimize my process using the optimization toolbox and finally, it just makes my research life easier. I love it very much.,Generating publication quality figures Fitting the experimental data with the model using curve fitting toolbox Process optimization using the optimization toolbox is easier than on other software It seems to me like a calculator which helps me to solve the complicated coding problems,MATLAB is somewhat expensive. The toolboxes are not included with MATLAB as you have to purchase the license for the toolbox, which makes MATLAB very expensive. If you have large data, it becomes slow which annoys me a lot.,9,user-friendly expensive sometimes slow,PyCharm,Skype, TeamViewer, Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Illustrator CCFantastic tool to kill engineering problemsMATLAB has been used by mostly all of the engineering programs and so it has been made available to all of the engineering computer labs to solve problems in multiple disciplines, such as product optimization design, spectrum and time series analysis of data, signal process, statistical data analysis and model formulation, and image processing.,A tremendous collection of functions (mathematics, statistic, financial, etc) have already integrated into MATLAB and free to use for all of the users no matter what type of license users have MATLAB Toolbox is pretty powerful. Its GUI interface helps users visualize solutions directly and can generate editable MATLAB code easily for future use. MATLAB tutorials are everywhere (online video tutorials, forums, and seminars) and are easy to find. Documentation from MATLAB itself is also clear to follow with few sample questions.,Although MATLAB language is easy to learn and use, there is still limited interaction between MATLAB and other widely-used programming languages such as Python. Would like to see a language convertor that can convert MATLAB language into other ones. It takes much RAM and memory of a computer when processing data in MATLAB, which definitely slows the computational speed. To generate an animation for a parametric study, it would take lots of efforts to write the code or proceed with a specified GUI. With some experience with mathematical, I feel mathematical is even easier to use although I was quite new to it at that time.,9,I have been using MATLAB in most of my research projects, coursework or course projects. It helps me complete those projects and solve problems too. Since I am an education license subscriber, there are no extra fees for me to buy the product or the MATLAB Toolbox.,,AutoCAD, JMP Pro, RStudio
MATLAB

MATLAB Reviews

MATLAB
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2018
Filter 95 vetted MATLAB reviews and ratings

Abdullah Umair Bajwa profile photo
February 13, 2019

User Review: "Why I Prefer MatLab over Python"

• Has robust and easy-to-use debugging tools that can help one identify problems in one's codes.
  • Rich, well-developed and efficient library of mathematical and statistical functions that one might need to develop models or perform statistical analysis.
  • A very active online user community that is a great resource in terms of seeking help when you hit a snag.
  • Great help literature (and sometimes videos too) on all tools making it possible for all to train themselves.
  • MatLab is pricier than most of its competitors and because of this reason, many organizations are moving towards cheaper alternatives - mostly Python.
  • MatLab is inefficient when it comes to performing a large number of iterations. It gets laggy and often crashes. Python is better in this regard.
  • There is a limited number of hardware options (mostly NI) that can be connected directly to the data acquisition toolbox.
My rating would have been an "8" if MatLab was more affordable, but because of its steep price point, and especially after its recent increase in licensing price, I don't feel comfortable recommending my colleagues a tool that I absolutely love and use everyday, but also believe that it is overpriced. Had the price not been an issue, I would've strongly recommended MatLab to all my peers, especially those working in STEM.
Read Abdullah Umair Bajwa's full review
Juan Carlos Molina Castejón profile photo
February 12, 2019

Review: "MATLAB: not just a programming environment"

• A great high-level abstraction programming language that's very easy to learn yet extremely powerful for more advanced users to take advantage of its computing capabilities.
  • Top notch documentation that's built directly into the programming environment and very well structured courses/workshops can be found online (free).
  • Great support team and frequently updated application that's designed to make efficient use of modern Intel processor's available resources.
  • Diverse types of licensing (students, professional, organizational) allow for flexible plans and can be customized to include the toolboxes you require for your specific use case.
  • MATLAB should have a full free version (without time limit) in order to be more accessible and thus have a greater user community.
  • The idea of having toolboxes to work directly with hardware (microcontrollers, single-board computers) is great, but one can tell it isn't updated very frequently and there isn't as much documentation available as with more common resources.
  • Our organization had a lot of trouble getting our network licenses to work properly and there wasn't any local service provider that could help us get it to work faster.
MATLAB is an outstanding environment for scientific research and engineering teams to develop scripts and simulations and be able to look into new areas of interest without having specialized knowledge of the topic. You can make use of the many available toolboxes in many different fields such as Statistics, Data Science and Databases. You can even compile code that interacts with other programming languages like C++, third-party embedded systems and industrial hardware (PLCs). MATLAB also has a simulation environment that enables you to create visual representations of real systems to interact with them and adjust them before production saving you time and money.
Read Juan Carlos Molina Castejón's full review
Tyler Grudowski profile photo
January 29, 2019

Review: "MATLAB - a simple, powerful data analysis tool"

• MATLAB is very good at helping me create files that I can share anywhere and with anyone. It allows me to write a script and then share it with people so they can open it on the notepad app on their Mac or PC.
  • I like that MATLAB can be used on both Mac and PC. I prefer to use a Mac when doing work, so it's nice that you can obtain the software for either operating system, and then work seamlessly between the two.
  • MATLAB's help network is extremely vast. Inside the manual, you can find pretty much any function that you could possibly need to use.
  • I wish it was easier to go through the help manual to find what you need. If you know the keyword that you need to use, it's very easy to just type that in to the program and it will take you to the proper spot. If you don't know the keyword, it is extremely hard to find what you are looking for sometimes.
  • The program itself is not very intuitive for first-time users. Once you get used to the software, it is much more straightforward, but it is hard to just pick it up and begin to use MATLAB.
  • Because MATLAB is more of a mathematics and engineering help software, you cannot write a ton of in-depth code using it. If you are looking to develop a whole application for a tablet or something of the like, you need to learn another language.
MATLAB is fantastic for analyzing, sorting, and displaying data. I use it all the time to make large data sets easier to understand. It is fantastic for making plots and graphs that display data sets. When you are looking to develop a full application to load onto a smartphone or tablet, MATLAB will not be enough.
Read Tyler Grudowski's full review
Md Shahinuzzaman profile photo
December 21, 2018

Review: "MATLAB - The powerful platform to solve complicated problems"

• Generating publication quality figures
  • Fitting the experimental data with the model using curve fitting toolbox
  • Process optimization using the optimization toolbox is easier than on other software
  • It seems to me like a calculator which helps me to solve the complicated coding problems
  • MATLAB is somewhat expensive.
  • The toolboxes are not included with MATLAB as you have to purchase the license for the toolbox, which makes MATLAB very expensive.
  • If you have large data, it becomes slow which annoys me a lot.
Easy coding, Small data handling, curve fitting, and optimization of the system are all well suited in MATLAB, whereas if you have large sets of data they will make the process very slow. In my research, I always use Matlab for generating figures and analyzing the data. Sometimes, if the coding is composed with large data, then it is a problem. Overall, I will recommend using MATLAB as there is no other suitable software as user-friendly as MATLAB.
Read Md Shahinuzzaman's full review
Bin Cai profile photo
December 11, 2018

MATLAB Review: "Fantastic tool to kill engineering problems"

• A tremendous collection of functions (mathematics, statistic, financial, etc) have already integrated into MATLAB and free to use for all of the users no matter what type of license users have
  • MATLAB Toolbox is pretty powerful. Its GUI interface helps users visualize solutions directly and can generate editable MATLAB code easily for future use.
  • MATLAB tutorials are everywhere (online video tutorials, forums, and seminars) and are easy to find. Documentation from MATLAB itself is also clear to follow with few sample questions.
  • Although MATLAB language is easy to learn and use, there is still limited interaction between MATLAB and other widely-used programming languages such as Python. Would like to see a language convertor that can convert MATLAB language into other ones.
  • It takes much RAM and memory of a computer when processing data in MATLAB, which definitely slows the computational speed.
  • To generate an animation for a parametric study, it would take lots of efforts to write the code or proceed with a specified GUI. With some experience with mathematical, I feel mathematical is even easier to use although I was quite new to it at that time.
MATLAB is very suitable for educational use, such as to test new algorithms, to simulate/optimize product design, and to analyze large sets of data. However, installing MATLAB needs a large amount of space in a computer, and using it to process data, which is the most popular feature, also consumes large memory/RAM in a computer. Users would need to configure the computer before installing it on the computer.
Read Bin Cai's full review
Shelby Bowden profile photo
September 27, 2018

User Review: "MATLAB - my statistical savior!"

MATLAB is used by both my lab and the general department. We often utilize this program to perform many of the statistical analyses that are much more difficult to do in excel or by hand. It is also very useful for us to use for creation of codes which we can share with students to use in labs.
  • Very easy to write your own operations and share with others
  • Great statistical processing capabilities
  • Very user friendly for even inexperienced programmers
  • It is often difficult to receive help on issues with writing code
  • To a new user, it can often be overwhelming to start. A tutorial would be great!
  • Better compatibility with other programs
It is really one of the only programs that is decent in computing statistical processes. While the R program can also be used for many of the same tasks, I have found that MATLAB is generally more proficient at complex or long statistical calculations. Unlike R, MATLAB is often difficult to produce good-looking outputs
Read Shelby Bowden's full review
Dat Nguyen profile photo
October 12, 2018

User Review: "Matlab for data analytics"

We use MATLAB to program prototype algorithms for image data analysis. It is being used by our data analysis department in R&D. The model program is then deployed VIA MATLAB into a file we then use in the final system. This is very easy to do with MATLAB.
  • Prototype / model algorithms
  • Plot data and code
  • Deep learning
  • Not easy to customize plots/graphs
  • Coding can be tediuous
  • Sometimes it's slow or laggy.
Well suited for engineers and scientists trying to model data sets. Also good for creating algorithms to process similar data.
Read Dat Nguyen's full review
January 15, 2019

"MATLAB Review"

MATLAB is being used by all students in the Geoscience department for computational research. MATLAB is the de facto programming platform for working with large research data sets, statistical analysis and visualizations. It is an easy software to get used to, and can be very quickly learnt. The community support helps to deploy new projects quickly.
  • A wide range of computational packages.
  • Excellent community support.
  • Easy parallelization.
  • A better mapping toolbox should be made part of the core software package.
  • Easier GUI based plotting tools will be useful.
MATLAB is well suited for research work, for quick programming and analysis of results, and to program scientific functions. It is good for small projects mainly and is well suited for designing a software workflow. It is less appropriate to deploy final live models on the MATLAB platform or to build scalable applications for deployment.
January 08, 2019

User Review: "Go and start using MATLAB now !!!"

MATLAB is basically used for data analysis in our organization. We deal with many client websites and their sales and we need to analyze the sales of every website and compute data to be sent to a database. I personally used MATLAB in my college days when working on signals and processing and graphs related to my work.
  • Matlab is easy to use and one can start using after gaining some knowledge about it.
  • It is very fast in analyzing and allows one to save data in separate files to work with it again.
  • Graphs plotted for data are very easy to understand and provide detailed information.
  • It is very costly, but after all, it depends on the industry, those who can afford it should use it.
  • It provides a faster output, but it takes a lot of memory and sometimes slows down the system. I faced this issue, but it depends on one's system configuration.
MATLAB is best suited for the electronics industry. Being with an electronics and communication engineering background I can tell that it is very useful for electronics as well as networking organizations who deal in signals and processing all day.
December 12, 2018

"MATLAB Review for Analyst"

I use MATLAB myself for data analysis. Sometimes it is easier to use the built-in functions rather than creating functions myself in Excel. So it saves me time.
  • built-in function libraries, no need to create new functions most of the time
  • MATLAB has interfaces to Python so I sometimes use specific Python modules to pre-process data sources.
  • Common data sources are easy to import to MATLAB
  • MATLAB is not commonly used in business sense so I do not find many support for business use
  • software not open-sourced
MATLAB is well suited for school and can be suited for business but it needs to allow more business professionals to use so people can get more peer support.
November 23, 2018

MATLAB Review: "Great Data Processing"

It is being used by the engineering department for analyzing and filtering large amounts of raw data as well as plotting.
  • Plotting
  • Simple to use functions
  • Good online help instructions
  • More standard functions versus having to buy a bunch of separate packages
I’d recommend it for data processing and plotting. I would avoid if you're trying to make a stand-alone program.
October 12, 2018

MATLAB Review: "Great but needs improvement on deployment"

MATLAB in the company is used to prototype and develop algorithms for image processing and to automate lab equipments it the workplace. We also use it for data analysis. Mostly for image processing and algorithm development, though.
  • Good for quick prototyping.
  • Quick data analysis on small datasets
  • Ease of learning
  • Very supportive online help doccumentation
  • Extensive user base for questions and a very active community
  • Modularity
  • Support for object oriented programming
  • Making functions available for other languages/ Ability to develop APIs for other languages
MATLAB is very good for quick prototyping and analysis of small data sets preferably below 10 GB of data. Above 10 GB it typically runs out of memory. Deployment of a project could be a bit troublesome.
September 19, 2018

Review: "A great tool for developing a product - MATLAB"

MATLAB allows you to do matrix multiplication, implement algorithms, create user interfaces, read images, etc., which helps in modelling a product. MATLAB solutions for Deep Learning allow users to design, build, and visualize convolutional neural networks. It has various uses like image processing, Variable precision arithmetic, simplification and manipulation of symbolic expression. These features helped us develop our product perfectly.
  • The ability to process a variety of data.
  • Interface, Plot figures for reporting.
  • Expensive
  • Not easy to integrate it with Other softwares.
MATLAB is a great software to use, it has many features which can help you creating your product easily. It is best for working with mathematical equations. It is quite easy to understand and start. Plotting analytical graphs and charts helps you for reporting and other things. It has many features which you can get after regularly updating version. You can get your all queries in MATLAB forum and its community is vast.
September 07, 2018

User Review: "MATLAB as an educational tool"

It has been used as a learning tool to teach math concepts that cannot be computed by hand. It is initially taught and introduced and then students are expected to pick it up and learn on their own. It is useful and an easy to learn coding program and excellent visualization tool.
  • Numerical computing
  • Graphical modeling
  • Education tool
  • Better UI with Mac/IOs users
I use it as a math tool for functions not done by hand, and a good way to view plots and data quickly. Also recently used as a tool to study next gen sequencing data from DNA sequencing results. The program can be made very simple to use, so that anyone without programing experience can use it.
Maike Holthuijzen profile photo
June 06, 2018

MATLAB Review: "Dependable software for matrix computation"

I work as part of a climate modeling team at the University of Vermont, which includes faculty from many departments and universities. We use MATLAB for handling and processing climate data in the form of NetCDF files. MATLAB has a library called netCDF that facilitates the opening, viewing, and manipulation of NetCDF files. In addition, the climate modeling team, of which I am a member, is also part of a larger research group. Although it varies, most members of the research group use MATLAB for some or all of their analyses. MATLAB makes it easy to process and manipulate large files, making our research more efficient.
  • I LOVE the MATLAB debugger. It's probably the best debugger I've ever used. You can easily set breakpoints and run through code line by line. This is immensely helpful in locating hard to find bugs.
  • The GUI interface to MATLAB is also very intuitive. The menu has options for quickly creating functions, scripts, and debugging. You can also view all your variables in the variable environment, which is helpful. For example, you can click on a matrix you created within the variable window, and you can view its dimensions and attributes.
  • The help function in MATLAB is also very good. You can get help for any function by typing 'help '. The help function is useful because it also lists many examples of how to use the function you need help on. The online help for MATLAB is also very good and includes tons of examples.
  • It would be great if MATLAB was open source, although that is unlikely to ever happen. I have the luxury of owning a license through my work, but I would not be able to afford it if I could not get it through my work.
  • I am also an R user, and I appreciate that in R, you can run code line by line very easily. However, in MATLAB it is a bit more difficult.
  • I am not a fan of MATLAB cell arrays...they are very difficult to work with. In addition, the plotting functionalities and options in MATLAB are not great. I would never use Matlab to create publication - quality figures.
MATLAB is well suited for processing various types of file formats, including more rare file formats used in climate modeling. It is also excellent for any type of modeling that involves significant amounts of matrix computations (I have found it to be more efficient than R). It is also fairly easy to vectorize most operations if computational efficiency is a big concern. MATLAB is an excellent option if you want to solve an optimization problem with genetic algorithms. The genetic algorithm toolbox (GA toolbox) in MATLAB is one of the best I've used and is extremely versatile.
It is not great for any type of agent-based modeling (e.g. cellular automata or swarm models). Also, I would not recommend MATLAB for producing plots. It is somewhat difficult to fine-tune the appearance of plots.
Read Maike Holthuijzen's full review
Jevgenijs Steinbuks profile photo
June 28, 2018

MATLAB Review: "One of the key economic modelling tools"

MATLAB is primarily used by the Macroeconomists in the Research Department and Macroeconomics and Fiscal Management Teams to solve DSGE and other numerical models, and sometimes do time-series econometric analysis.
  • Excellent treatment of linear algebra and matrix manipulation
  • Easy and clear syntax
  • User friendly interface
  • Weak treatment of non-linear problems
  • Slow compared to key competitors such as Julia
  • Licensing issues make it difficult to work with models and large datasets that require parallelization
MATLAB is very good for solving any linear models. Also good for solving linearized DSGEs where toolboxes such as Dynare come very handy. It has some nice toolboxes for time-series econometrics, Kalman filtering, and Bayesian estimation.
Read Jevgenijs Steinbuks's full review
Katie McFarland profile photo
June 22, 2018

User Review: "MATLAB for modeling"

I use MATLAB to model the bioenergetics of organisms through the application of the Dynamic Energy Budget Theory (Kooijman, 2000). Through measurements of physiological rates under various environmental conditions, we can predict the response to stress in the natural environment, e.g. climate change predictions.
  • linking between files for calling commands is simple and allows for easy organization
  • produces clean graphics outputs with user-friendly interface to edit plots
  • It is a widely used software so finding online help to problems and roadblocks is pretty easy
  • Error messages could be more detailed to help you fix problems in your code
Base code for the bioenergetic modeling I use is supported only by MATLAB and Octave. The interface for running and editing code is much smoother and user-friendly in the MATLAB format. Plots are easily added and edited through MATLAB increasing the ease of use and preparing plots for publication.
Read Katie McFarland's full review
Manuel Aguilar profile photo
April 02, 2018

Review: "MATLAB is an excellent automation software."

Matlab is used in my organization in the engineering departments for handling several types of problems and for automation of processes. The geophysics department uses it for creating methods for gravimetric data processing and residual gravimetric data separation from regional data. Also, we have used it to correctly process electrical data acquired for water exploration in the subsurface. In the seismic exploration area, we have created seismic acquisition simulations.
  • MATLAB has a lot of automation tools so extracting data from a database such as Excel and processing it can be done just by hitting one button.
  • MATLAB is excellent at handling data from diverse sources. It can work with images, sounds, sensors, so in the engineering world this is a great tool.
  • The workspace is really interactive and its editor features have useful tools such as autocompletion (which is key when coding fast) and bug reporting so you know exactly where you messed up in your code.
  • It is really expensive, and lots of the tools you need in order to read some type of files need to be paid for.
  • Running programs created using MATLAB can be challenging in some scenarios, since is not a commonly used software with some of our clients who prefer their programs to run in Excel via macros.
  • It's a closed source program so getting to know how it computes is really hard.
Matlab is really suited for working as an automation tool in several engineering scenarios. For instance, in gravimetric analysis it surpasses most commercial softwares since one can program all the mathematic functions needed for data processing and customize all the reports needed in the project. Also, Simulink as a tool for running simulation workflows is extremely powerful and easy to use with MATLAB.
Read Manuel Aguilar's full review
May 25, 2018

MATLAB Review: "Machine Learning Made Easy"

I initially purchased MATLAB 2017b for a mathematics course during graduate school. At first, I was skeptical about the product and why it was being used. However, I quickly discovered the features that make MATLAB stand out from C++ and Mathematica. MATLAB truly makes numerical analysis easier. The ability to easily push code to run on a GPU allows for a user to take advantage of the modern day hardware. The signal analyzer, filter builder, and machine learning apps have saved me and my co-authors hours by allowing us to quickly look at the effectiveness of a filter on raw data. The built-in K-NN and Neural Network algorithms were easy to use and produced fantastic results for our specific project.
  • Quick visualization of data allows the user to improve code as its written.
  • Easy to use syntax makes picking up MATLAB quick.
  • Constant improvement and addition of apps and functions keep MATLAB competitive with other languages.
  • Errors are simple to understand and fix.
  • Improvement to the symbolic solution output for mathematics would be huge as the output is currently ASCII art.
MATLAB is fantastic for numerical analysis and dealing with large amounts of data. The quick processing of raw data along with the ability to visualize and run code in sections made filter design and data analysis much easier. The only times I would not recommend using MATLAB is for symbolic solutions to mathematical equations as the output is archaic looking.
August 17, 2018

User Review: ""MATLAB" The Great Software"

1) I used MATLAB in various applications such as Signal Processing and Communications, Image and Video Processing, Control Systems, Test and Measurement and Computational Finance.
2) It Provides development tools for improving code quality, maintainability and maximizing performance.
3) MATLAB is use for building applications with custom graphical interfaces.
4) It has functions for integrating MATLAB based algorithms with external applications and languages such as C, Java, .NET and Microsoft Excel.
  • MATLAB tools are best as it provides development tools for improving code quality, maintainability and maximizing performance.It has a vast library of mathematical functions for linear algebra, statistics, Fourier analysis, filtering, optimization, numerical integration and solving ordinary differential equations.
  • It is easy to learn. No need to write full C& C++ program to do simple things.
  • It provides tools for creating custom plots.
  • It has vast library of mathematical functions for linear algebra, statistics, Fourier analysis, filtering, optimization, numerical integration and solving ordinary differential equations.
  • Due to slow loading sometimes the whole system freezes .
  • You can't make a library in one .m file. If you have different functions, you need to have different files.
  • You cannot share a script with another person who does not have access to MATLAB.
This is a good software for engineering students. It can be useful for electrical, mechanical and computer science students for solving different aspects of problems. Image processing & mathematical calculations can be done by using MATLAB software. On the contrary, MATLAB software is not appropriate software for implementing deep neural networks and 3D plot.
August 17, 2018

Review: "MATLAB is user friendly and displays data conveniently"

In my company we use MATLAB for many of our coding needs. We work studying radar data and processing the radar echoes, therefore we deal with huge amounts of data needed to be manipulated with mathematical operations like FFT for example. Most of our scripts are either based in MATLAB or incorporate MATLAB functions.
  • Math calculations done easily, no need to add too many libraries or any complicated imports.
  • Plotting graphs is user friendly and they look good.
  • Keeping data in matrix form is useful, and they are easily accessible and referenced later in the code.
  • Easy access to stored matrices of data from the main screen. I really appreciate this feature to continuously double check how data is being saved and also to check the values from time to time.
  • Expand the student free versions, as a student it should be more encouraged to obtain free software to practice and learn more.
  • Too high price for license, too expensive for private use outside an organization.
Sometimes we have to use Python because of easier integration with some of our C ++ scripts. Also since it's open source some of my coworkers prefer it. Generally I prefer MATLAB due to the matrix and accessibility and I think it is extremely more user-friendly and easier access to the stored data matrix. Also I prefer MATLAB language much more than Python, which I consider less straightforward sometimes.
Alejandro Daniel Copati profile photo
February 01, 2018

User Review: "MATLAB, The Great"

I use MATLAB mainly to develop GUI and scripts to control our electronic products. I also used MATLAB in the University to solve Mathematics and Electronics problems.

In the company, we use MATLAB in the Electronics and Development department, precisely because of the ease of MATLAB when creating GUIs and being able to remotely control the devices we manufacture and test, either through USB, or WiFi or Bluetooth.

• Very powerful console. You can do anything directly through the MATLAB console with no need to write a whole C/C++ program to do simple things.
  • Ease of creating a simple and intuitive GUI with a very powerful wizard.
  • A lot of professional packages and toolboxes for complex problems resolutions. Like Signal Processing, Image Processing, Calculus, etc.
  • The language of programing is like a very nice version of C/C++.
  • The handling of the variables is all making for MATLAB, you don't need to pay attention if you are using more memory that you have, for write one example. MATLAB take care of your stuff and optimize it.
  • When a GUI start to grow up and have many objects, the performance of it starts to decrease very quickly and start to crash sometimes.
  • You can not have more than one function in each file. I mean, you can't make a sort of library in one .m file. If you have different functions, you have to have different files.
  • I think that a very good improvement is that MATLAB can understand the C/C++ sentence and data types. I mean, if I have an array of hexadecimal values in C/C++, I can't copy that in MATLAB because I can't use "0xA4" for the A4 hex value, for example.
MATLAB is perfect for education, with all the specific and professional toolboxes that it has, is a very powerful suite to learn how to develop a workable platform.

I think that is a little less appropriate in the case that you are an applications developer, where you have to make an application that has to work independently if the user has or hasn't idea how to use MATLAB.
Read Alejandro Daniel Copati's full review
Himanshu Singh profile photo
January 19, 2018

MATLAB Review: "A Raw and Powerful Analysis Tool"

We use MATLAB for DATA visualization and converting data into Mathematics equations and Models Especially product department uses this for data analysis. We gather a lot of data on a daily basis, so many product releases.During product conceptualization, it helps a lot on giving the decisions on features. If one is analytical and love to visualize things in Mathematics, MATLAB is a beautiful.product!
  • Converting any data into Mathematical Model
  • Nice Data Visualization
  • Dealing with large sets of data
  • Defining data parameters.
  • Not ability to transform into direct business solutions
  • Being an expert on MATLAB takes a longer time
  • More flexibility needed for other departments in the business
Best suited when you have a clear-cut process of defining the mathematical solution and have a business to data transformation in mind. Works wonder for analytical society. It is not well suited if you have more problems related to human error. If you can manage this product then it is a great cost optimizing tool.
Read Himanshu Singh's full review
Arlex Guzman profile photo
February 19, 2018

User Review: "Matlab adds value and reduces costs"

In Eyemar Express we develop projects of machinery for manufacturing and industrial automation, for us and vital from the commercial and commercial point of sale offer solutions of lower possible cost to our clients, that is particularly important in the simulation of equipment, especially of equipment that presents mobile mechanisms whose behavior can be expressed in a transfer function that later allows the design of a control mechanism, computational simulation that is performed with matlab simulink is essential to avoid the use of prototypes and test benches.
  • Matrix language is the hallmark of matlab, it is the basis of its strength.
  • It has a library of transfer functions that can be adapted to specific cases and from there design control systems and simulate the behavior of the system that is intended to describe
  • Greater support for learning.
  • Improve reports and presentation of solutions.
  • Improve visualization and be more intuitive in interoperability with other applications.
Especially useful for simulating systems and solving systems of equations, Simulations for robotics, Useful for your Computational Vision tools.
Read Arlex Guzman's full review
Pritesh Patel profile photo
February 01, 2018

User Review: "MATLAB a great software!"

MATLAB was used to program the bayesian networks for determining product variability from a set of data that we recieved. We used matlab to also plot results. We also did a lot of simulation of models using matlab. We were able to create controllers in Matlab for the different flight systems and see their responses.
  • Very user friendly as far as the Syntax is concerned
  • The UI is very intuitive
  • Great for solving engineering problems
  • A better UI that looks more cool
  • Ability to create and save formulas so they format correctly
  • Ability to import formulas for complex problems.
Matlab is great for engineering analysis. I used it for many Aerospace classes and research as well. It was great to solve complex physics, thermodynamics, and propulsion problems. Matlab is not a typical software programmer. If you need to write a small program it would be better to write in other languages.
Read Pritesh Patel's full review