Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft Azure IoT Edge
We used it for POC purpose. We wanted to show our clients how Edge computing can help their business to save a lot of money. Our product is an IoT based ERP system which is being used by our clients at different locations. Microsoft Azure IoT Edge helped us to present the concept of Edge computing like how we can process the machine generated data at the client location (Edge) to make quick decisions and avoid latency issues and send only the data that is required back to Azure Cloud.
- It works even if there is no internet at client location. It will record all the generated data and only send them to cloud storage when there is internet connection.
- It allows you to bring cloud functionality down to Edge location in the form of docker container.
- It also supports two way communication from device to cloud and vice-versa.
- We had some trouble such as latency issues [and] connectivity while using Azure blob storage as an Edge Module on Azure IoT Edge runtime, so they should look into it.
- We were stuck while defining the routes for different Edge Modules on Azure IoT Edge, so they should simplify it and improve the related documentation section as well.
- ROI was high, as we were able to impress our clients with POC of Microsoft Azure IoT Edge with our IoT based ERP product.
- We were able to perform our POC for almost free, as there no charges for Azure IoT Edge, only minimal charges for storage.
- Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Docker and Microsoft Azure IoT Hub
It is really a great product. It can help a medium to large production company to cut down on their IT expenses such as cloud storage. We are using it with our IoT based ERP system. Microsoft Azure IoT Edge helps in implementing the edge computing in an easy way and it is free to use.
Do you think Microsoft Azure IoT Edge delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Microsoft Azure IoT Edge's feature set?
Did Microsoft Azure IoT Edge live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Microsoft Azure IoT Edge go as expected?
Would you buy Microsoft Azure IoT Edge again?
It is well suited if you have a production plant and you want to cut down the cost of cloud storage. It is best for medium to large companies if they want to process their machine generated data at their production site and only store the data that is required in cloud storage. It is less appropriate for small companies.