Overall Satisfaction with MicroStrategy Analytics
- Build a complete Business Intelligence solution from the ground up. They provide desktop, web and mobile interfaces.
- Analyze and report on large volumes of data from an extensive number of source databases.
- Provides a full Software Development Kit (SDK) to personalize, customize and write your own BI applications and web sites.
- Support for HTML5 is still at the beginning. The latest features were developed with Adobe Flash, which sometimes is not the best and fastest solution. HTML5 with CSS and SVG would probably be more portable and a smoother experience to the user.
- I personally would like to see native OAuth 1.0 and 2.0 Support. And the ability to directly attach JSON data feeds like Google provided data.
- Web Services documentation could be improved and expanded with more examples.
In the BI category it's the most feature rich and complete solution. Other software may be cheaper but falls short in one area or another. MicroStrategy allows greater control on the way the SQL is generated and has a complete set of tools to publish and distribute reports and dashboards to the users. Email subscriptions, iPad push, web embedding are among the several techniques available to distribute content. Portlets for the most common content management portals are included at no cost.
Be sure to grasp the basic concepts from the very beginning. A complete and updated ER Diagram of the data warehouse is needed. Read the manuals, as MicroStrategy is a very complex product and cannot be learned by trial and error. There is a book, which was recently published by PACKT, about the whole Business Intelligence development process: http://amzn.to/1by3HAO