Oracle Data Warehouse is the 800 Pound Gorilla
January 04, 2019

Oracle Data Warehouse is the 800 Pound Gorilla

Overall Satisfaction with Oracle Data Warehouse

We've recently adopted Exadata as our primary DW solution. It allows us to quickly store and query lots of data. The data is generally written in overnight batches and is constantly queried 24x7. It even supports some online business decisions to our customers. We use it company-wide. I am an administrator of the database, as well as a SQL Programmer.
  • Handles workloads like a champ.
  • Uses state-of-the-art analytic functions and allows for quick, easy SQL.
  • "Secret Sauce" integrates the hardware and the software for faster I/O.
  • Supports thousands of concurrent users.
  • We had issues converting a legacy DW (with its existing indexes, etc) over to the new DW hardware. Given the memory-intensive resources, not all indexes are advised. Traditional query tuning methods do not work. You have to re-learn some tuning tactics.
  • Given the number of features it has, it is far more complex to administer. Requires trained staff to support.
  • Support in these areas is generally poor. Oracle is, sadly, no exception.
  • I HATE the current push to the cloud. Seems like a gigantic money-grab.
  • We are just now opening up a Business Intelligence area in our company. In general, the business seems in love with the quick access to data.
  • Analytics and predictive functions, much of which is done with the power of the database, have helped us stay ahead of our competition.
  • This is an expensive and fantastic product all at the same time. Don't be fooled that administration costs will go down when you implement this. I believe it requires as much (or more) administration as anything out there.
Yes - I am a member of the Independent Oracle User Group and Utah Oracle Users Group.

User groups have benefited my career more than anything else I've done. I've learned hard skills (in short, one-hour chunks, which is perfect). I've networked and attending the meetings, training, etc. It has helped to legitimize my career and reminds me we are a network of professionals. I HIGHLY recommend participation. The times I've presented, I've learned MUCH more than the attendees of my sessions.
Oracle is, in my opinion, the top dog in this space. I feel like the other vendors are playing catch-up to where Oracle is right now. It is also likely the most expensive option out there.
Oracle Data Warehouse is, in my opinion, the best solution available. My hesitance to recommend it would be that it costs a fortune and other vendors would likely work well for smaller companies. For large companies that can afford the pricetag, you likely won't find anything to out-perform Oracle. I've seen POCs where the competition outshines Oracle, but I believe they are specific situations, and in general, I would give Oracle my recommendation (again, if money is not an object).