Recap on Cap IQ
Caitlin A. Mabe | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 14, 2017

Recap on Cap IQ

Overall Satisfaction with S&P Capital IQ

I used S&P Capital IQ as an employee at Xavier University in the Trading Center in the business building. The Trading Center had 30 or so Bloomberg terminals, and these terminals also had Capital IQ software on them. I used Capital IQ to help in my credit analysis of bonds and equity securities.
  • It was very helpful to be able to create your own table based on the information important to you. You could then export this table into an excel document.
  • It was very easy to use and had links to a list of competitors and supplier which proved to be beneficial.
  • I used Capital IQ mostly to value equity and fixed income securities. Sometimes it was easier to find what I was looking for on Bloomberg with the keyboard shortcuts. Then again there was some information that was much easier to obtain through Cap IQ.
  • For people new to financial software, Capital IQ helped bridge the gap between no experience and being on expert at Bloomberg. It was definitely easier for new people to pick up and there was a faster learning curve to it.
  • Bloomberg and Yahoo Finance
We had Capital IQ in addition to Bloomberg. It was much easier for a new person to use Capital IQ than Bloomberg. The ease of use was a huge selling point for us. Yahoo finance on the other hand is free, but you cannot gather all the data you may need in one location like you can in Capital IQ.
What I loved is that I was able to create reports from scratch for equity valuation, stock picking, and credit analysis. Bloomberg has a feature where it is linked to your Excel spreadsheet to give you the most recent prices of your securities which was helpful.
[In addition to using the product myself] I also taught others how to use Capital IQ. It was much easier for them to pick up than Bloomberg. Bloomberg is much more expansive, but also much more difficult for someone new to use. Even the keyboard for Bloomberg is different.