Overall Satisfaction with Screaming Frog SEO Spider
Screaming Frog is used as a tool for primary analysis of site behavior by our Search and Analytics Team. We use it to crawl sites, debug indexing issues on our sites, to vet site tagging, and to assess the SEO health of every part of the web site.
- Effectively and quickly assesses the scale of any problem that can be determined in the HTML source of a web site. Most sites of any age or of sufficient scale have numerous systems interacting to generate the source code. Screaming Frog's filters let you figure out where issues lie, and where they don't -- which can be key to solving for the issue.
- Screaming Frog lets you crawl your site (and others - SHHHH) as Googlebot. If Googlebot can't get everywhere you want it to go, you can fix that.
- Screaming Frog can effectively find duplicate content.
- It's a true SEO crawler. Reliable site-wide analytics on Metadata. You can find your canonicalization issues with this tag.
- It will build XML sitemaps for you. Good ones!
- It's slow on slow machines.
- It's a bit of a resource hog.
- It could go even further and add some intelligence and direction to it's wonderful analytics. No reason it couldn't provide recommendations.
- Quicker understanding of the characteristics of a site.
- Instant diagnosis of indexing and crawling issues.
- Strengthens understanding of technical side of SEO.
I like that it's a desktop client actually. I like ti that I can stop something myself, rather than have some bot out of my control tear into a web site, consuming all it's content.
Screaming Frog for life. In all seriousness, Screaming Frog has reshaped the way I deliver SEO services. It's an extraordinary time savings for solving the most difficult SEO problems.
There are a lot of SEO's who won't be helped meaningfully by this tool, until they understand the technical aspect of SEO. It can actually help you write better SEO copy, but it is more likely to be of use to someone who makes $ diagnosing canoicalization and duplicate content issues. There are better solutions available if you are limited to slow machines or connections.
Using Screaming Frog SEO Spider
2 - SEO Team
1 - Support proper configuration for every crawl.
- SEO Troubleshooting
- Analytics QA
- Competitive research
- Finding unlinked content
- Resolving Wordpress PLugin Conflicts
- We are about to use it as a major tool in a content metrics and scoring project.
Evaluating Screaming Frog SEO Spider and Competitors
Yes - It replaced Moz's Crawl test. The Moz product which is a cloud-based, mutli-user product was understandably, way too polite. Often did not crawl sites.
- Product Features
- Product Reputation
- Prior Experience with the Product
It's power within my grasp, that I used to have to outsource as a programming project.
There are some cloud-based services I find intersting, but you can't beat the price.