Screaming Frog Reviews

Rolly Chin | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 22, 2020

Screaming Frog SEO

Screaming Frog is used by SEO Specialists in the whole organization. With Screaming Frog, we get crawling and indexing issues to be solved.
  • It is easy to use.
  • Can be integrated with Google Lighthouse
  • Can be integrated with Google Search Console
  • We can extract some extra information from our website.
  • It is not a cloud software.
  • For large websites we need to wait a lot.
Screaming Frog SEO is well suited for small and medium websites. But for large websites, it is not.
Read Rolly Chin's full review
February 22, 2020

You’re aren’t a “real” SEO expert if you aren’t using ScreamingFrog

We used Screaming Frog SEO Spider to audit our content across over a dozen websites under our company. The Digital Marketing team is using it. It’s helping us evaluate our content and organize the details of all of it, so we can make data-driven decisions promptly without having to do a manually report for all of our sites (each with about 200-1,000+ pages)
  • Help pull more historical data (it only pulls “Last Modified”).
  • Have an option to “hide” PDFs from the link score/crawl analysis.
If you’re trying to overhaul your website, redesign it, or improve SEO, and you don’t have the budget to work with an agency, Screaming Frog SEO Spider isn’t a “nice to have” — it’s a requirement. It’s time-saving and lets the users focus on analyzing data instead of spending countless hours pulling data and building audit spreadsheets from scratch.
Alanna Hawley | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Big time-saver and makes technical SEO life so much easier!

We use it for technical SEO audits, checks, and QA. It has helped us scale efforts in those areas.
  • Audit redirects en masse - important bc stuff like that would take forever to do manually.
  • Site launch audits - again, it would take forever to check the technical aspects of a site launch manually.
  • Site speed measurement could be added/approved. Current page speed functionality is helpful at times but could be more robust.
It is well suited for anyone who deals with SEO at an organization. It is also well suited for large websites such as e-commerce sites.
Read Alanna Hawley's full review
Scott Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2020

Great free tool for small SEO budgets

When doing SEO for any of our websites, I like to start by using Screaming Frog to crawl the site. This gives me a starting point to examine meta data, see how discoverable the pages are on the website, and build the sitemap for submission. This is especially useful on web platforms that don't have their own sitemap generator.
  • Sitemap building.
  • Site crawling.
  • The UI is a bi confusing, especially for the uninitiated.
  • Though very customizable, default settings can cause server issues due to high traffic.
Screaming Frog is a go-to tool for SEOs. If you're in charge of your company's SEO strategy and you aren't buying into one of the larger SaaS systems like Moz, then Screaming Frog is almost a necessary tool. Not only does it build your sitemap for you to host on the website and submit to the search engines, but it also allows you to find all the metadata like page titles and descriptions, discover broken links or non-navigable pages, and find all your current redirects.
Read Scott Walker's full review
Jeff Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

Screaming Frog SEO Spider is no toad!

Screaming Frog is our go-to audit tool when first looking at a potential new project. Even the free version of Screaming Frog is quite useful. It is used company-wide and it the fastest way we have found to get a good "look" at the on-page health of a site. And with the paid version it allows integration with Google Analytics and Search Console (WMT). With SF and Google Sheets you can build a fairly comprehensive overview of metas, alt tags, image size, titles, H tags, etc. in a very short amount of time.
  • A solid crawler with a lot of options.
  • Allows one to see the core SEO elements of a site very quickly.
  • The paid version is a bit pricey but for what it does it's worth it.
  • The UX can see a bit confusing at first, but once you begin to use it the learning curve is quick.
If you are doing SEO audits, I think Screaming Frog is the best first-line tool for looking at a site. I have not found another tool that is capable of doing what Screaming From can in a very short amount of time. I do not use it for Looking at the technical side of a site, there are better tools for that. But for getting a feel for how well a site has been maintained as far as core on-site factors and being able to pull that data to build spreadsheets, SF is the best I have found.
Read Jeff Smith's full review
Alyssa O'Mara | TrustRadius Reviewer

Screaming Frog is An Excellent Tool for SEO

I use Screaming Frog for every one of my clients. It allows me to quickly see if there are any underlying issues with their web pages that can be addressed to help with their rankings or usability. One crawl and I can filter in many ways to view just the data I need.
  • Allows me to see what pages can be indexed by the search engines
  • Shows me quickly if there is any meta information missing
  • If I am working with a larger site it's difficult to get Screaming Frog to scan the whole site. I have to stop the scan and reset some settings to get it to work and even then I have had issues.
Screaming Frog is great when you know what you're looking for. If you don't understand meta information, status codes, reditects, canonicals and other technical aspects of a website, then it's not the tool for you. It won't have a popup that gives you guidance, it just gives you the data, in an organized fashion, so that you can do the research you need to optimize a website. If you are newer to SEO you either need to learn what all of these things are, or use another tool that will put the results into layman's terms.
Read Alyssa O'Mara's full review
Dragan Nikolic | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 30, 2019

Screaming Frog - A Go-to Technical SEO tool

Our organization specializes in marketing and website audits. Screaming Frog is the first thing we fire up when investigating a website, be it our client or the competition. This way we immediately see how a website is perceived in the eyes if Google, what pages are properly indexed or not, title and meta tags and even Google Analytics data.

Screaming Frog is the perfect diagnostics tool for any website auditor and a starting point for any digital marketing campaign.
  • Website crawling - see any website the way search engines see it.
  • Technical SEO - find out which pages have difficulties being indexed and improve alt tags, canonical tags, redirects, Schema.org, sitemaps, etc.
  • Onsite SEO - improve title tags, header tags, description tags, etc.
  • Exporting data - not the best way of naming the files you export, also you cannot export graphs that are generated in the sidebar.
  • Crawling large websites - it takes a lot of memory and takes a lot of time (sometimes days), they could consider creating a SaaS for these cases.
  • Doesn't crawl content so no data regarding duplicate or similar content is generated.
Screaming Frog is a great starting point for any website audit. It gives you almost everything you need to know for improving your onsite SEO. If you have difficulties determining what slows down your progress or you suspect that there are some technical issues with your website, Screaming Frog is the software for you.

If you're suspecting that you've been a victim of a bad linkbuilding practice, then Screaming Frog won't help you, as it has no offsite data.
Read Dragan Nikolic's full review
Tom Pick | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 19, 2019

A Simple Tool That Does Essential SEO Tasks Easily and at a Fair Price

I use as part of my audit process with every new client as well as clients looking to develop new websites. It is ideal for capturing all of the pages on the site along with meta information, different page types, finding 301 redirect issues, word counts, meta tag character counts, and much more.
  • Fast crawling even on large websites.
  • Comprehensive listing of pages of all types, not just HTML.
  • All meta tag information including character counts.
  • Page word counts in order to identify thin-content pages.
  • Would be great to have backlink information.
  • Would be great to get more guidance on what words or phrases a page should be optimized for.
  • Would be great to identify pages with duplicate or extremely similar content.
I use this as part of every website audit process. It's ideal for functions like finding missing meta description tags,duplicate title tags, and other simple issues. It's also helpful that the tool shows word count for every page on the site to find pages with thin content that are bad from an SEO standpoint.
Read Tom Pick's full review
Robbin Block | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

A Fast and Easy Way to Explore SEO Opportunities on Any Website

Screaming Frog is essential to providing SEO services to all my clients. We also use it for gaining insights about our own website. It's great for winning potential clients because it very quickly and easily reveals issues with their websites. And finally, it's just good for making the back-end of any website transparent, which is helpful for other aspects of marketing, i.e., exploring the competition.
  • It has a reliable user interface that makes it easy and fast to scan a website.
  • Reveals issues and opportunities for website optimization.
  • It allows you to filter results, so you can drill down to where the problems are.
  • You can export lists, so clients can either fix issues themselves or it's "proof" of what you're working on for them.
  • There's a bit of jargon in terms of labeling, and with so much data available, it would be nice to have "inline" explanations of what we're looking at.
  • Perhaps better graphical representations of the data, which would be helpful when explaining it to clients.
  • Maybe offer recommendations for fixing issues that are found with a website?
Screaming Frog is the perfect tool for getting into the backend of a website. It's easy to use, at the right price point (the free version is robust), and it's always being updated, so you can rely on it to be current. It's suitable for anyone needing to optimize a website, doing competitive research, and exploring opportunities to help clients (and sell services to new ones).
Read Robbin Block's full review
Frank Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

This Frog Screams Digital Marketing Insights

Having been doing SEO for 20 plus years - Screaming Frog SEO has been a tool that since it first launched that I have used consistently. It crawls a site and gives insights into all areas that technical SEO needs to examine. I highly recommend this tool - use it - learn how to read the numbers and develop responses to the information - whether it is duplicate tags and content, use of H tags, internal and external linking - the tool covers all the areas you need to improve the organic rankings of your site
  • Check title and description lengths
  • See duplicate title and descriptions
  • Could break results out into categories to streamline and quicken the process.
  • The schema information is lacking.
I use Screaming Frog SEO for specific things - tags, content, links - the areas they do not cover there are other tools to use.
Read Frank Watson's full review
January 23, 2020

Fast and accurate web crawler for SEO projects.

We use Screaming Frog SEO Spider in our marketing team to solve a number of website related problems. We initially started using Screaming Frog SEO Spider to crawl websites we were working on to develop a list of pages, titles, meta data, and more. We use this data as a basis for our website content audits.
  • Website crawling.
  • Meta data extraction.
  • Free version limited.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider is great for web development teams and SEO teams. For web development teams, Screaming Frog SEO Spider provides data that will become the basis of your content audit. For SEO teams, you can use the crawled data to analyze titles, meta descriptions and more in bulk, without visiting from page to page.
January 21, 2020

Screaming Frog SEO - Got to have this for SEO

Screaming Frog is being used by our organization to analyze our technical SEO strategy and to catch any site errors that may occur. Since we have a massive amount pages on our website, we use Screaming Frog to assure each page has the proper headline, title, and meta description for SEO purposes.
  • Scanning websites and giving accurate information on each page.
  • Quickly pulls sitemaps within minutes.
  • User interface can be daunting at first, but through repetitive use it becomes familiar.
  • Would require some technical SEO understanding to utilize the tool to its fullest potential.
Screaming Frog SEO is well suited if you are going through a redesign of a website or if you would like to see how your on-page SEO efforts are being fully utilized. We went through a complete website re-design and Screaming Frog helped with the new pages and assuring they had correct titles and meta.
January 18, 2020

Easy to use, lightweight, and effective website crawling tool for SEO audits

Our digital agency uses Screaming Frog to help with website audits specifically for SEO related information including metadata, URLs, page titles, response codes, etc. We also use the tool for new website launches to crawl the current site and export URLs to aid with the creation of 301 redirects when necessary.
  • Website crawler is solid, making it easy to export into a spreadsheet.
  • Analyzes page titles and meta data of your website to help with SEO.
  • The UI is a little dated but has improved in recent years.
  • Not as intuitive for new users, requires some getting used to and experimenting.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider is perfect for digital agencies and/or digital teams that need to perform technical SEO audits and crawl websites to identify the site URLs, duplicate content, robots directives and other technical information relevant to optimizing a website or launching a new website. If you are looking for a Moz-like SEO tool, this is not for you. This tool is really more of a crawling tool than it is an SEO tool.
January 07, 2020

A thorough web crawler with helpful SEO and site info

It is used by the SEO department for crawling and website troubleshooting needs. It helps us see all URLs on a site. It helps us notice if there is missing or duplicative metadata. It helps identify 404s or other issues with URLs. It also helps generate an xml sitemap file.
  • Crawling an entire website
  • Gathering all URLs on the site
  • Telling you where a 404ing URL was found on the site
  • It crashes sometimes when you first open it
It is very useful for situations where you want to see all URLs on a site. It's very useful for when you're re-launching a website and need to gather all the URLs on the site. It's useful after launching a site to see if there are any broken 404ing URLs on the site. It's also useful for seeing if you're missing any titles, descriptions, etc. or if any meta data is duplicate. You can also filter results based on specific criteria, such as "show me all urls with titles that say _____". It's not useful for finding exactly where a 404ing URL is linked to on your site (at least, not to my knowledge).
November 08, 2019

Don't tell my clients how easy Screaming Frog makes my job!

It's used in the search and analytics department. I use it for crafting pitches - getting insights on possible site issues on a client site - troubleshooting any site issues for active clients, and completing audits, particularly tracking internal linking webs, scraping metadata, and assessing status code issues - both within the web app and in Excel spreadsheets.
  • I love the ability to scrape all internal links on the site - even with anchor text! Great for troubleshooting site circulation.
  • The Building Tree view is useful for quick visualization of the site structure.
  • I just love being able to scrape all the metadata - makes the setup for optimization super easy.
  • The Crawl Tree Graph always seems like it would be great, but the output is extremely unwieldy
  • Sometimes the status codes come out wrong - I always feel the need to double-check a few, when I end up with a list of 404s—and often I need to run them again in list mode to get the proper code. Not sure why!
  • I wish you could save a crawl within the platform - say I crawl a site, then crawl a different one, and want to poke around within the platform at that first site again. It seems I just have to perform the crawl again, rather than being able to load up an old crawl.
Screaming Frog is fantastic for digging in for an SEO audit. It's the first thing I do when I start looking at a site—throw the domain in the Screaming Frog. Then I can export a few views and start sorting by status code, empty or duplicate metadata, canonicals, etc. Filtering the URLs allows me to get a good handle on the URL hierarchies. I can knock out a big chunk of the technical audit in a few steps with Screaming Frog!
November 07, 2019

Screaming Frog Review

We use Screaming Frog to give a high-level overview and almost a self-audit style report on our site health. Screaming Frog's crawling capabilities make pulling reports quick and convenient. The content of the reports gives us a total aerial snapshot of site pages and allows for quick changes to be made.
  • Quick crawls.
  • The free version is pretty comprehensive.
  • Reports able to pull in CSV format.
  • Premium version could be cheaper.
  • Integration with other analytics tools - Currently just GA.
  • A scheduling option for the free version would be great.
Screaming Frog is a great lightweight tool for pulling quick reports and giving a great snapshot of how your site is performing from a health perspective. Lots of great features and does pretty much everything one would want from an SEO tool. The free version is really comprehensive and this tool should be in the roster of every SEO team.
October 24, 2019

Site audits start here

Screaming Frog is where every site audit begins. More and more, Google cares about the integrity of a site's links, tags and page structure. Given the importance of search to our business, losing rank because of broken links and missing tags is an unacceptable loss. SF helps us make sure we're producing top-quality pages and maximizing our search potential.
  • Validates tags.
  • It helps with canonicalization.
  • Corrects problems with no index.
  • Checks internal and external links.
  • Screaming Frog runs locally. It would be nice to see a pure cloud-based version.
  • It's a very complete piece of software which means it can take a while to learn.
Most organizations have lots of older web content. These pages may not be up to modern standards. SF helps to quickly analyze thousands of pages for errors and bring older pages up to web standards.
October 15, 2019

SEO Spider — One Spider You Won't Want to Get Rid Of

My company builds websites for clients, and something we focus on is SEO. That being said, it's important to the health of every website to ensure proper 301 redirects are in place before launching a brand new version of the website. If URLs change but old ones are still being crawled by search engines, this is a huge detriment to the visibility of the website.

As a champion for our clients, it's necessary to anticipate these changes before it becomes too late. Screaming Frog SEO Spider has made it extremely easy for us to pinpoint which URLs will need to be redirected. It completely takes the guesswork out of ensuring accuracy.
  • It's simple to use. Just add in the URL you need to crawl and within minutes, it's ready to go.
  • It breaks down URLs and site components by HTML, Images, etc. so you know what to look for.
  • It's easily exportable so you can download the spreadsheet and get to work.
  • Because there's so much information given, it's difficult for a novice user to instantly understand where to look.
  • The overall UX could use some updating. Next steps aren't always super clear.
If you're in the business of building websites, this tool will save you tons of time when it comes to implementing those redirects before launch. It's also helpful if you're involved in search engine optimization or search engine marketing. You can quickly run a report on the website and have a good launch pad so you know where to get to work.
September 27, 2019

Helps us save time during local SEO projects

We use Screaming Frog across our organization to address potential SEO issues on client websites, as well as to crawl sites for particular types of files (ex. images). It helps us perform day-to-day SEO tasks for our clients' websites.
  • Lots of customization options on crawls
  • Great at extracting in-depth, niche details about pages and websites
  • Reliable--few to no glitches
  • Can be intimidating for beginners due to dizzying array of options
  • Customer service can be slow to respond
Great for crawling websites to identify SEO issues, great for PC users. A little confusing to use on Macs. Not the best for beginners since to my knowledge there aren't tutorials within the program.
Roman Yarovyi | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 20, 2019

Simple and powerful crawler for websites

We are a small company that focuses on digital marketing and SEO service for our clients. Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a great tool to check out what internal structure a client website has. It works like Google robot and scans a website for links and makes list of website pages. After a full scan, you get a report about the basic info of these pages (meta tags, different kinds of errors) and you can create a sitemap with pages and images.
  • You receive a report with internal structure of the website (Pages with status codes, depth structure)
  • List of the pages with incorrect meta tags: meta titles & descriptions, also H1 tags
  • List of the pages with insecure content and links to this content
  • List with 404 errors and response codes
  • List with pages where there is Google Analytics ID mismatch
  • Can create sitemap with pages and images
  • You can't pay per projects, only a subscription is available
  • You need a lot of RAM for big websites (more then 10 millions pages)
  • No cloud version
It's a good tool to check out the internal structure of client's website, create a tree with pages. You can check out a website like Google robot and understand which pages can be visited and what content can be submitted to Google. Also, this utility will create reports with different errors, like 404 pages, incorrect meta tags like long meta titles and descriptions, and missing H1 tags. And you can create sitemaps with pages and images if you need.
Read Roman Yarovyi's full review
Justin Roodman | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2019

Weird name, solid SEO tool.

I currently use Screaming Frog as one of the tools for managing and maintaining our company websites. I primarily use the program for doing SEO audits. I use it to verify links and find broken ones, identify content types and scripts, find duplicate content, and create XML sitemaps. Analyzing our sites allows us to detect potential SEO issues proactively and make educated decisions about site content.
  • Finds broken links (404 pages). Broken links hurt user experience.
  • Identifies pages that include meta directives like nofollow/noindex/canonical etc. Helps understand what your pages tell crawlers to do.
  • Get information about all of the internal and external links on my site (anchor text, links per page, etc). Helps in identifying key word choices and page weight.
  • Requires Java. This isn't a huge deal as many computers already have it installed, but it's yet another 3rd party component.
  • The free version has a crawl limit of 500 pages per site. This is fine for smaller sites, but if you're running a big e-commerce site then you'll need to pay for Pro version.
  • The user interface isn't very pretty. This is an analytics tool so it doesn't really have to be, but it might be helpful for improving the overall user experience.
Screaming Frog tracks the crawl level, internal links, outbound links, title tags, and meta descriptions of the pages it crawls. It also adds HTTP status codes, title tag length, meta description length, H1, H2 tags and lengths, and canonical tags. Many of these elements are also broken into their own tabs at the top so that you can easily focus in on problem areas. You can right-click on any URL for many more options. The program is definitely valuable to anyone who is looking to gauge factors regarding SEO. However, if you are not a web designer/admin, you're going to lack an understanding of the information it provides.
Read Justin Roodman's full review
March 29, 2019

Screaming Frog is the industry standard

We use Screaming Frog to crawl our website for Technical SEO errors. It allows us to check our site's health on a large scale. Instead of having to check each page manually, we're able to do it all at once. Only our SEO team uses it currently, but we are often exporting the results of the crawl and sharing it with our Dev team for fixes that need to be made.
  • Find Broken Links.
  • Crawl Site and Analyze Meta Data.
  • Finding redirect chains and diagnosing technical errors.
  • Sitemap cleanup/generation.
  • UX/UI Improvements -- It's pretty ugly.
  • Crawl Map -- It's a new feature and is improving, but it's still not amazing.
Screaming Frog is an industry standard for dedicated site crawlers. All other crawlers are going to be compared to Screaming Frog, and for good reason. Screaming Frog is great for doing a quick crawl of a small site, or if you only need to look at a section of a site.
Scott Richardson | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

Screaming Frog SEO Spider is #1 for Technical SEO Analysis

We use Screaming Frog SEO Spider to perform SEO audits for current and prospective clients. It allows us to get an all-encompassing view of the technical SEO elements of a website. I currently use only use the free version, as I find the cost prohibitive for what I use it for.
  • Analyzes all metadata
  • Character counts of all metadata
  • identifies missing alt text on all images
  • identifies all H1 and H2 headlines
  • identifies broken links and loops
  • The GUI is a little old school
  • No cloud version is available...desktop version only (Chromebooks are SOL)
  • Pricing isn't terrible...but there is no monthly option. £149.00 or roughly $190USD/yr.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider is perfect for quick SEO audits to show prospective clients where their websites are falling short. It covers all the details you'd want an SEO audit tool to cover. It is probably a little confusing at first to beginner SEO's as it is fairly technical and as stated before, the GUI is not all that user friendly.
Read Scott Richardson's full review
Anthony Daronzio | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 30, 2018

The best tool to have in your pocket, hands down.

Screaming Frog is a standard tool of operation since I introduced it a couple years ago. We use it to perform crawls of sites that we are auditing for SEO, crawls of sites we have built to check for errors, both in staging and development. The project management team now uses it to QA certain implementations of tags, or other aspects on the site.
  • Best tool to crawl a site, hands down.
  • Configurable for custom data extractions.
  • In-depth exports for reporting.
  • Configurable connections to Analytics and Search Console.
  • Wealth of online documentation.
  • Exporting one report at time to CSV or XSLX can be cumbersome and time consuming.
  • Custom extraction requires pretty in-depth knowledge of RegEx or XPath.
  • Not a very visual tool.
  • Larges sites can take up a tremendous amount of resources (RAM, space, connection).
Screaming Frog is the best tool to crawl any site, anywhere, hands down. We use it for all of our SEO auditing purposes. We also use it to quality check new builds in both staging and live environments, some behind password restrictions and other various logins. Even our project management team has found use with it to quickly check changes across multiple pages instead of going to each page one by one. This tool is not the tool for you if you are looking for something to generate auditing reports. This will not will not make a pretty PDF of it's findings for you to show management or send to a client. It gives your raw data which you can export into a CSV or Excel, but will not help in the reporting process if you are looking for something to auto generate a report or insights.
Read Anthony Daronzio's full review
Ari Roth | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 21, 2018

The backbone of my SEO auditing toolset!

Screaming Frog is used primarily by the account management department, however it is also used occasionally by members of the business development and/or research teams. All who use it do so as part of technical SEO audits for clients. It can specifically help us identify crawling issues, indexation issues, necessary meta data changes, etc.
  • Crawling client sites of up to thousands of pages. Gives you almost every tool that you need to do a proper SEO audit.
  • Custom extractions using CSSpath, Xpath, or Regex. I'm not even a techy, but their support section here is a huge help with the provided examples.
  • Customer service and support - Dan is ALWAYS very prompt to respond with helpful answers on Twitter if needed.
  • I sometimes feel that it takes a lot of CPU power to do more basic audits. I've heard that others use tools like DeepCrawl for very large sites for this reason.
  • Lately, I've been having some small issues with the search function, though in the past this has worked great so it could just be a bug. Dan and the team seem to be great at addressing these quickly!
  • I'd like the ability to identify URLs which exist in an XML sitemap but are not linked to within a site's taxonomy. Currently the comparison between these two lists has to be done manually, as far as I know.
It does almost everything I need it to do. But I've heard and can imagine a scenario where a more enterprise-level crawler is necessary for pages with hundred of thousands or even millions of pages. This goes back to my previous comment about it seeming to take a lot of CPU power.
Read Ari Roth's full review

Keyword analysis (16)
4.5
Backlink management (20)
SERP ranking tracking (6)
Page grader (18)
Competitive analysis (20)
Site audit / diagnostics (43)
9.5
5.8
Mobile SEO (17)
Global SEO (22)
Multi-domain support (23)
Integration with web analytics tools (26)

About Screaming Frog