The best tool to have in your pocket, hands down.Screaming Frog is a standard tool of operation since I introduced it a couple years ago. We use it to perform crawls of sites that we are auditing for SEO, crawls of sites we have built to check for errors, both in staging and development. The project management team now uses it to QA certain implementations of tags, or other aspects on the site.,Best tool to crawl a site, hands down. Configurable for custom data extractions. In-depth exports for reporting. Configurable connections to Analytics and Search Console. Wealth of online documentation.,Exporting one report at time to CSV or XSLX can be cumbersome and time consuming. Custom extraction requires pretty in-depth knowledge of RegEx or XPath. Not a very visual tool. Larges sites can take up a tremendous amount of resources (RAM, space, connection).,10,Allows for quick and easy business development audits, allowing us to generate net new income. Saves us time in the SEO department, hours saved is money earned. Saved a tremendous amount of time and resources across Dev and PM.,DeepCrawl,SEMRush, Conductor Searchlight, Ahrefs Site Explorer,6,2,SEO Auditing Quality Assurance with Dev Quality Assurance with Project Management,We have a wide range of development clients, we use the tool to check updates to sites that the dev makes through custom extraction. When the change affects many pages, this makes it considerably easier to check changes as opposed to hours spent going page by page. For SEO auditing, I export my reports that I need from a site crawl and copy that data into a google sheet, I then use that sheet as a data source to visualize the data from the crawl. This allows us to easily create reports to clients.,Allowing for easier methods of custom extraction (intsead of writing regex or XPath) would allow us to bring this out to more users in the company. Maybe an enhanced license to create PDFs of the stuff in the audits for use for our recurring audit program. This would allow the software to stay competitive from other tools such as SEMRush and DeepCrawl.,10,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product Third-party Reviews,I wouldn't change my mind. Screaming Frog is the best tool there is for us.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,Training others who did not know the software how to use it. It was rather time consuming.,7,No,10,No,I have had standard actions for support, however this also classifies for support, when my company switched over to invoice billing and no longer used credit cards, I had to reach out to screaming frog for assistance. I was answered immediately and after a brief explanation of what I needed from them, it was sent over right away. I also had a problem because of wording on the invoice from my billing department. I emailed them back and it was changed very quickly and got back to my billing department without a lapse in the software usage.,A standard crawl is easy and can be accomplished by anyone Connecting to outside APIs,Custom extraction is not easy to use without knowledge of RegEx (which I already knew) or XPath which I had to learn. With reporting you have to export each report separately instead of one workbook created, with multiple sheets. This can get very cumbersome when you need a lot of the reporting, especially the SERP reporting. For a beginner, it's hard to extrapolate the most important findings from your crawl. Getting the report to visualized.,No,6The backbone of my SEO auditing toolset!Screaming Frog is used primarily by the account management department, however it is also used occasionally by members of the business development and/or research teams. All who use it do so as part of technical SEO audits for clients. It can specifically help us identify crawling issues, indexation issues, necessary meta data changes, etc.,Crawling client sites of up to thousands of pages. Gives you almost every tool that you need to do a proper SEO audit. Custom extractions using CSSpath, Xpath, or Regex. I'm not even a techy, but their support section here is a huge help with the provided examples. Customer service and support - Dan is ALWAYS very prompt to respond with helpful answers on Twitter if needed.,I sometimes feel that it takes a lot of CPU power to do more basic audits. I've heard that others use tools like DeepCrawl for very large sites for this reason. Lately, I've been having some small issues with the search function, though in the past this has worked great so it could just be a bug. Dan and the team seem to be great at addressing these quickly! I'd like the ability to identify URLs which exist in an XML sitemap but are not linked to within a site's taxonomy. Currently the comparison between these two lists has to be done manually, as far as I know.,10,It has allowed me to make impactful and intelligent recommendations to clients. This has in turned deepened the client relationships and led to steady ongoing ROI. It has also allowed me to diagnose interesting technical issues for non-client sites (like Forbes) which formed the basis for very cool company blog posts. The investment is very low - this tool does 99% of what I need for a fraction of what other industry crawlers costs. Kudos to the Screaming Frog team!,DeepCrawl and Moz,Google Drive, Ahrefs Site Explorer, Microsoft Office 2016The first step in building an SEO program to lastScreaming Frog SEO Spider is used by the digital marketing team within the larger marketing department. It helps identify load speed, on-page SEO elements including title tags and meta descriptions, and assess technical health of website.,Measure and report on load time and response codes of pages. Custom search can identify pages missing analytics tagging. Export on-page SEO elements to update title tags, meta descriptions, and alt tags.,The ability to not only crawl pages for current elements but to push updates to them would be most helpful.,10,It's a positive ROI when we know certain websites are able to rank on the first page of search for specialized topics. ScreamingFrog is a key component to eliminating SEO-related shortcomings and improve our web presence overall.,SEMRush, Ahrefs Site Explorer and SpyFu,Ahrefs Site Explorer, SpyFu, Marketo, Showpad, Sitecore Web Content Management,2,2,Identifying pages with missing tracking codes Identifying pages that load slowly or produce error results Crawling the website for missing on-page SEO elements so a specialist can update,We used it to identify pages with duplicate meta descriptions. ScreamingFrog helped us identify pages that lacked a tag manager. It is used to find 404 pages on sites and any temporary redirects that need to be removed or made permanent,We can use it to identify images that are too large and causing longer load times. ScreamingFrog helps us identify meta keywords on pages, whether they're lacking or duplicative.,10Screaming Frog is The Tool Every Web Dev NeedsWe use Screaming Frog as a fundamental piece of our SEO strategy. The tool empowers us to dive deeper into information we find in Google Analytics and Search Console. We use it to crawl our external sites, discover 301 redirect chains, check on SERPs, and run basic visualization reports. It is essential to our technical SEO tactics.,Quickly crawling sites with thousands of pages. Fantastic customer support and support portal. Great UI, very intuitive and not flashy. Great visualizations. Great export option which can be helpful when sending to those without access to the tool.,Updates too frequently and is sometimes unclear on what the update is for. Since I use this on my work desktop primarily, I have to go through our help desk to update. Which turns a quick process into a much more involved, time consuming endeavor. An integration with a CMS (Drupal or Wordpress in particular) seems like a great next step. Entry level technical SEO is easy to do. More advanced tools and reports can be difficult to find.,10,Screaming Frog is cheap, especially when considered at the enterprise level. Speeds up the process of analyzing websites Provides more actionable data than alternatives (even the free version),Google Search Console,Google Search Console, Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, EvernoteScreaming Frog SEO Spider is a Great Tool for Site Wide Technical SEO AuditingI've been using Screaming Frog SEO Spider for about a year now. The tool is great for running a speedy SEO audit of an entire domain. We got value out of the paid subscription after migrating a site over to a new URL format. It was useful for pinpointing all broken links which needed redirection. I'd recommend the tool for anyone looking to get a bird's-eye view of there site's technical SEO health. I'd say it's good to have a basic understanding of technical SEO when using the tool. If you don't, I'm sure there are blog posts and downloaded content provided by Screaming Frog to guide your efforts.,Site wide Technical SEO analysis Pinpointing broken links Providing text based on page SEO details Fast run time,Exporting features. There are good exporting features available, but when trying to export detailed information, it's hard to retrieve.,8,Positive ROI - saves a ton of time resource.,SEMRush and Moz
Screaming Frog SEO Spider

Screaming Frog Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

Screaming Frog
Top Rated Award
Filter 70 vetted Screaming Frog reviews and ratings
Anthony Daronzio profile photo
November 30, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "The best tool to have in your pocket, hands down."

• Best tool to crawl a site, hands down.
  • Configurable for custom data extractions.
  • In-depth exports for reporting.
  • Configurable connections to Analytics and Search Console.
  • Wealth of online documentation.
  • Exporting one report at time to CSV or XSLX can be cumbersome and time consuming.
  • Custom extraction requires pretty in-depth knowledge of RegEx or XPath.
  • Not a very visual tool.
  • Larges sites can take up a tremendous amount of resources (RAM, space, connection).
Screaming Frog is the best tool to crawl any site, anywhere, hands down. We use it for all of our SEO auditing purposes. We also use it to quality check new builds in both staging and live environments, some behind password restrictions and other various logins. Even our project management team has found use with it to quickly check changes across multiple pages instead of going to each page one by one. This tool is not the tool for you if you are looking for something to generate auditing reports. This will not will not make a pretty PDF of it's findings for you to show management or send to a client. It gives your raw data which you can export into a CSV or Excel, but will not help in the reporting process if you are looking for something to auto generate a report or insights.
Read Anthony Daronzio's full review
Ari Roth profile photo
August 21, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "The backbone of my SEO auditing toolset!"

• Crawling client sites of up to thousands of pages. Gives you almost every tool that you need to do a proper SEO audit.
  • Custom extractions using CSSpath, Xpath, or Regex. I'm not even a techy, but their support section here is a huge help with the provided examples.
  • Customer service and support - Dan is ALWAYS very prompt to respond with helpful answers on Twitter if needed.
  • I sometimes feel that it takes a lot of CPU power to do more basic audits. I've heard that others use tools like DeepCrawl for very large sites for this reason.
  • Lately, I've been having some small issues with the search function, though in the past this has worked great so it could just be a bug. Dan and the team seem to be great at addressing these quickly!
  • I'd like the ability to identify URLs which exist in an XML sitemap but are not linked to within a site's taxonomy. Currently the comparison between these two lists has to be done manually, as far as I know.
It does almost everything I need it to do. But I've heard and can imagine a scenario where a more enterprise-level crawler is necessary for pages with hundred of thousands or even millions of pages. This goes back to my previous comment about it seeming to take a lot of CPU power.
Read Ari Roth's full review
Amanda Tessier profile photo
August 03, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "The first step in building an SEO program to last"

• Measure and report on load time and response codes of pages.
  • Custom search can identify pages missing analytics tagging.
  • Export on-page SEO elements to update title tags, meta descriptions, and alt tags.
  • The ability to not only crawl pages for current elements but to push updates to them would be most helpful.
Screaming Frog is a great tool for any team maintaining a website or launching new sites. If you have even more than 1 website, this tool is well worth the investment to assess and manage websites based on SEO-best practices. It's the foundation of any good web-presence strategy to identify load times, on-page SEO elements, and response codes for improved user experience.
Read Amanda Tessier's full review
Sean Pomory profile photo
November 17, 2018

Review: "Screaming Frog is The Tool Every Web Dev Needs"

• Quickly crawling sites with thousands of pages.
  • Fantastic customer support and support portal.
  • Great UI, very intuitive and not flashy.
  • Great visualizations.
  • Great export option which can be helpful when sending to those without access to the tool.
  • Updates too frequently and is sometimes unclear on what the update is for. Since I use this on my work desktop primarily, I have to go through our help desk to update. Which turns a quick process into a much more involved, time consuming endeavor.
  • An integration with a CMS (Drupal or WordPress in particular) seems like a great next step.
  • Entry level technical SEO is easy to do. More advanced tools and reports can be difficult to find.
As mentioned in a previous review, Google Search Console is necessary to work with Google. Screaming Frog is necessary to get the most out of Google Search Console. Search Console notoriously has issues with accurate data. I've never felt that Screaming Frog is giving me incorrect information.The tool may be unnecessary for an entry level dev or technical marketer, but it is needed with any site over 100 pages. Approaching thousands of pages, I don't know how we'd get on without it.
Read Sean Pomory's full review
Jon Kaspszak profile photo
November 09, 2018

Review: "Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a Great Tool for Site Wide Technical SEO Auditing"

I've been using Screaming Frog SEO Spider for about a year now.

The tool is great for running a speedy SEO audit of an entire domain.

• Site wide Technical SEO analysis
  • Pinpointing broken links
  • Providing text based on page SEO details
  • Fast run time
  • Exporting features. There are good exporting features available, but when trying to export detailed information, it's hard to retrieve.
Well suited for: Site wide analysis technical SEO

Not well suited for: Someone looking for simple SEO recommendations.
Read Jon Kaspszak's full review
Katie Goh profile photo
November 30, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Essential SEO Software"

Screaming Frog is great for cataloging your pages and making sure that the basic SEO elements are on all pages. When you work for a large website, it's sometimes difficult to track ALL pages and sections. It's also used when we want to crawl our clients' websites to diagnose problems that can be easily addressed and fixed.
  • Many data points
  • Accurate info
  • Ability to crawl pages on any website
  • The tool (understandably) times out after crawling too many pages.
  • Link metrics could be more detailed.
- Helping diagnose simple SEO problems on your site or sections of your site
- Organizing your meta data, canonicals, etc. for each page
- Finding out detailed information on competitor's websites (such as how many content pieces they have)
- The perfect way to start a full site audit.
Read Katie Goh's full review
Jane Phelps profile photo
June 28, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Nice Complimentary Platform"

We use Screaming Frog to scan all URLs of a website. Then we parse the information off into sections: error codes, titles, meta descriptions, H1s and word count. It is then exported into Excel where we can analyze the current health of the site. This information provides us with great detail and a nice format where we can provide recommendations.
  • Scans pages that we may not know exist.
  • Provides a great export of information that can be manipulated into a useful document.
  • Provides summaries of each area for a quick look at what elements need attention first.
  • Sometimes a website is large enough that you can run out of memory. There is a way to fix that in the Screaming Frog platform, however I feel like it takes a programmer to figure out and configure the crawl. I wish there was an easy button!
Most important scenario is to get a comprehensive list of all URLs within the website including SEO elements. You do need the paid version though if the site is over 500 pages. There are other tools better suited for a technical audit.
Read Jane Phelps's full review
September 28, 2018

Review: "You'd be crazy not to have Screaming Frog SEO Spider as part of your SEO suite of tools!"

Screaming Frog has generally been utilized only by myself in all SEO roles that I've had in the past, as well as now. I absolutely love Screaming Frog. It makes website audits so simple, but it's an incredibly powerful tool. It solves the problem of knowing what's going on in your site, and what you can solve to have better on-page SEO.
  • Finding broken links on your site - I’ve yet to use a tool that lists broken links as simply as Screaming Frog SEO Spider.
  • Finding redirect loops - These are rare, but when they happen, they’re annoying and can negatively affect your SEO. Luckily, Screaming Frog points these out very simply.
  • Page analysis - Some other tools are more “plain speak” than Screaming Frog SEO Spider, and some may view this as a con. I see the technical side of this tool as an extreme benefit. In my world you can have easy or you can have powerful, but it’s extremely different to have both. As it relates to page analysis, it gives you simple, technical, actionable data to make your recommended changes.
  • I have 0 complaints about Screaming Frog SEO Spider. What it claims to do, it does well. It’s the industry standard for sure. I don’t say this being biased - I’ve just tried many tools to do the things that this tool does, and Screaming Frog SEO Spider is my favorite.
If you have a site that you care about or are doing client work for SEO, you can't afford not to have Screaming Frog SEO Spider. There are other tools out there that do similar things, but so far, I haven't found any that do it as solidly as this app. My recommendation - they have a free version. Try it out first, test it out. Spend some time with it. I used the free version for the first while, as I wanted to become acquainted with it. To unlock its full potential, you need to get the paid plan. But the free version is enough for you to realize how powerful this tool is.
James Egan profile photo
May 25, 2018

Review: "Screaming Frog - Nearly a Prince, it just needs a little kiss"

I currently use Screaming Frog to analyze technical SEO aspects of the business. The software is primarily used to ensure that the code (HTML, JS) is up to scratch and that page load times are not negatively influenced by poor coding.
  • A Fantastically quick crawl across all pages of the site
  • Very easy exports for interpretation of data, sometimes very large data sets
  • Very intuitive and easy to use
  • Ability to deep dive using Regex
  • While it is intuitive it could have a better GUI
  • The functionality is there, but having a WIZYWIG would be good for entry level users
  • The support level is somewhat lacking
If you are working as a consultant, then Screaming Frog is the perfect tool to get a project started. It will enable you to have a firm understanding of your clients' website from a technical point of view.
Read James Egan's full review
Roman Yarovyi profile photo
May 15, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Simple and powerful crawler for websites"

We are a small company that focuses on digital marketing and SEO service for our clients. Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a great tool to check out what internal structure a client website has. It works like Google robot and scans a website for links and makes list of website pages. After a full scan, you get a report about the basic info of these pages (meta tags, different kinds of errors) and you can create a sitemap with pages and images.
  • You receive a report with internal structure of the website (Pages with status codes, depth structure)
  • List of the pages with incorrect meta tags: meta titles & descriptions, also H1 tags
  • List of the pages with insecure content and links to this content
  • List with 404 errors and response codes
  • List with pages where there is Google Analytics ID mismatch
  • Can create sitemap with pages and images
  • You can't pay per projects, only a subscription is available
  • You need a lot of RAM for big websites (more then 10 millions pages)
  • No cloud version
It's a good tool to check out the internal structure of client's website, create a tree with pages. You can check out a website like Google robot and understand which pages can be visited and what content can be submitted to Google. Also, this utility will create reports with different errors, like 404 pages, incorrect meta tags like long meta titles and descriptions, and missing H1 tags. And you can create sitemaps with pages and images if you need.
Read Roman Yarovyi's full review
Maria Clara Daly profile photo
April 25, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Deep analysis, easy to use, flexible reports"

I bought Screaming Frog to help review current and potential client onboarded websites. It helps me realize where bloat is, if there are any redirection errors, and generally be able to see the architecture and cross-linking of a site quickly. My primary use is to scan pages if I'm doing a rebuild and be able to accurately "see" any page that may not immediately be visible from front-end navigation.

• The ability to pare down any item on a site by "type"- HTML, image, scripts, etc
  • A quick SEO response shows you pages with titles, without, with and without meta data so instead of combing through a site page-by-page (which is ridiculously time intensive) you can make an immediate actionable list
  • It's fast. Even with ridiculously bloated sites it spiders rapidly and gives me a visual almost instantly. The various methods of reporting and exporting data are also useful. I use them all, but when reporting back to clients it can be helpful to have the charts and graphs vs just an export of cell data
  • No real learning curve, all you have to do is input the URL you're looking for then the clearly labeled buttons and tabs help you start sorting what you're looking at
  • I feel the top tabbing could be handled a little differently, though I'm not immediately sure how. Maybe two rows of tabs? There's so many that even on my 27" monitor it cuts off and the arrow down is almost lost beside the search arrow. I sometimes forget the other items off-screen exist
  • Consider flattening the colors. While on the whole the muted color palette is fantastic and lets the data show, I feel the soft grey gradients behind bold text could honestly just become flat even color. That would allow things like buttons to pop more, with simple strokes and maybe a light color difference indicating buttons
  • Make the bottom horizontal scroll bar on the main window more obvious. Almost always data is going to stretch further to the left and the bar blends in pretty closely with the stretching window beneath, and the arrows are too faint a grey. This sometimes obscures the fact there's deeper data to be seen if cut off at just the perfect point.
If you need a quick glance at the structure, load times of a site and its architecture, this is perfect. If you need to see pages that do and don't have meta data (especially on a massive site where combing through each page from inside the CMS itself would be too time-consuming) this is for you.

If you need data speaking to whether H tags are being used correctly, and samples of how the web "sees" them this can be grabbed instantly, which is particularly useful when some designers don't really differentiate styles so without a code inspector you can't immediately get this from the front end of the site.

I'm not sure when it wouldn't be used- it's definitely a 'deep' tool with a lot of potential but if you're only looking for one simple thing, while there may be a learning curve on how to access it, this tool still delivers.
Read Maria Clara Daly's full review
Kevin Gamache profile photo
April 18, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Deep Dive with Confidence"

We utilized Screaming Frog SEO Spider on 2 fronts. The first was during the content audit process. This allowed us to gain visibility within our strategy department to the content that was available and begin analyzing those pages in depth during the audit process (especially when connected with Google Analytics natively in Screaming Frog). The second use was to analyze the client site from an SEO viewpoint. The ability to slice and dice the data was invaluable.
  • Deep crawling to uncover site content
  • Google Analytics connection to retrieve use data for pages crawled.
  • Google Console connection to allow for deeper SEO understanding
  • User interface takes some time to get used to. Not easy to just hop on and get started.
  • When pulling Google Analytics data in to the system it defaults to a certain range would rather have this be a prompt to select.
  • I would like to be able to have a mode for a quick crawl with possibly less data or be able to have it run outside of my computer system. There were instances where my computer(laptop) could not handle the load needed to crawl adequately.
This is well suited for taking a deep dive into a site and looking into the data.
This is not well suited for quick/instantaneous analysis.
Read Kevin Gamache's full review
Jeremy Waszak profile photo
February 05, 2018

Review: "Screaming Frog SEO Spider is one of the best website crawlers available"

Our entire organic search department utilizes Screaming Frog on all our technical website audits. The audit is quite lengthy, but the majority of the data can be pulled directly from Screaming Frog which makes our lives much easier.
  • Finding website errors. Screaming Frog makes the process easy. You can find errors on an entire website all at once.
  • Easily analyze Page Titles & Meta Data. In one view you can see an overview of the entire site including data such as title length, duplicate titles, and missing meta tags.
  • Being able to generate XML sitemaps and customize is great.
  • The speed of crawls can be an issue if you have a large website.
  • The amount of memory used if you have a large website can be an issue.
  • Maybe if there was more training videos/guides. I spend a lot of my time trying to figure out the perfect options for the site crawl I am looking for.
Screaming Frog is extremely useful whether you are a large agency or just a freelancer. The capabilities seem endless and the price point is unbeatable. If you need to quickly perform a technical site audit, Screaming Frog will be able to do most, if not all, tasks you need to complete.
Read Jeremy Waszak's full review
April 27, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "An absolute gem for an SEO enthusiast"

We used Screaming frog to scrape faulty pages of our massive website after a switch of the operating system. We also used it to collect meta-data stats to make sure our goals were met. All pages should have an H1, H2, and appropriate title. I was in charge to make sure these conditions were met. If your company doesn't accommodate to these variables there is a chance that your website will get less traffic. Search Engines use these conditions to index your website. You have to make sure when your result turns up in a search that the potential client will be triggered to click. This way Screaming Frog can be used as a complementary tool for Google Analytics to make sure your visitors will get the best user experience possible.
  • Detailed scraping of metadata from every single page of a website
  • Excellent export options to convert acquired data to excel
  • Integration with Search Console for detailed analysis of pages
  • Allows for individual page optimisation due to extensive reports
  • It has quite the learning curve. In order to use all available assets you must be experienced with Google Analytics, data export and able to analyze this data as well
  • Sometimes the integration of Search Console is not exactly flawless. It's hard to find the cause of this problem and it should be easier to fix this.
If you have a company or are responsible for the online part of a company with a large company website this tool is a must-have. Small businesses can also profit from this tool in order to improve brand image and searchability, but it's easier to find a flaw in a small website. This tool is excellent to index hundreds of pages and see exactly what is missing.
April 25, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "Good, well rounded SEO software"

Screaming Frog SEO Spider was used to help us determine which pages on our website were missing important meta data.
  • Scan your entire website for missing meta data.
  • Easily allowed us to identify duplicate pages on our website.
  • Assisted us in finding broken links quickly and easily.
  • It would be nice if the free version scanned more than 500 pages and included the crawl configuration features. Even better would be if there was a free fully functional version available for a time limited period. This would allow us to better determine if the product would meet all of our needs.
It's a great product for small sites. Seemed to take a while to run a scan on our entire website (10,000+ pages).
April 19, 2018

Screaming Frog Review: "SEO Spider — One Spider You Won't Want to Get Rid Of"

My company builds websites for clients, and something we focus on is SEO. That being said, it's important to the health of every website to ensure proper 301 redirects are in place before launching a brand new version of the website. If URLs change but old ones are still being crawled by search engines, this is a huge detriment to the visibility of the website.

As a champion for our clients, it's necessary to anticipate these changes before it becomes too late. Screaming Frog SEO Spider has made it extremely easy for us to pinpoint which URLs will need to be redirected. It completely takes the guesswork out of ensuring accuracy.
  • It's simple to use. Just add in the URL you need to crawl and within minutes, it's ready to go.
  • It breaks down URLs and site components by HTML, Images, etc. so you know what to look for.
  • It's easily exportable so you can download the spreadsheet and get to work.
  • Because there's so much information given, it's difficult for a novice user to instantly understand where to look.
  • The overall UX could use some updating. Next steps aren't always super clear.
If you're in the business of building websites, this tool will save you tons of time when it comes to implementing those redirects before launch. It's also helpful if you're involved in search engine optimization or search engine marketing. You can quickly run a report on the website and have a good launch pad so you know where to get to work.
Joseph Miller profile photo
October 10, 2017

Screaming Frog Review: "Great Crawl Tool for Any SEO Professional"

I use Screaming Frog for adhoc competitor research, site health checks, page list building, sitemap creation and verification primarily. Any time a site health issue crops up that prompts someone to ask "can you quickly check XYZ?" it's typically easiest to go with Screaming Frog.
  • Sitemap generation
  • Adhoc site crawls with particular settings. For example, crawling all URLs on a specific subdomain or with certain URL parameters
  • SEO attribute verification. Say you updated a title template and want to verify across a large batch of pages.
  • Verifying redirects are in place
  • Since its Java based desktop software, the memory management is always clunky
  • It would be great to have a cloud based option. For instance something run off Amazon's cloud services.
  • Easier management of license keys when switching computers
Screaming Frog is a great fit for almost any enterprise level site. For sites with less than 1000 URLs it is probably overkill, although you could get by with the free version.
Read Joseph Miller's full review
Jake Pittman profile photo
August 21, 2017

Review: "Screaming Frog - the best SEO website crawler there is."

Screaming Frog is peerless among SEO tools. The SEO individuals at Clicky use it for a range of different reasons, however, it is used by other people within the marketing team when necessary.

Screaming Frog is really the only tool that pulls out all relevant SEO-related information of a website. If we need all the page titles for each URL on a domain, or if we simply want all the URLs on a domain, we use Screaming Frog. We wouldn't be able to do our jobs without it.
  • Very quick at crawling a website.
  • Pulls out comprehensive information for each URL.
  • Able to export information to CSV files and others.
  • Screaming Frog needs to have a function allowing the user to pull out ALL information, not just sections such as inlinks, outlinks etc.
  • Users should be able to filter non-HTML pages with the click of a button, as opposed to having to manually exclude them.
  • Visually, it could be improved.
Screaming Frog is suitable when one needs to crawl a website and find page titles, meta information, directives for thousands of pages very quickly. Screaming Frog also pulls information such as broken links and 404 pages. As all of the information is displayed as tables, Screaming Frog is perhaps unsuitable for client-facing documents, audits, and reports.
Read Jake Pittman's full review
Tim Colling profile photo
April 17, 2017

Review: "Screaming Frog: Fast, Powerful and Expensive"

We use Screaming Frog to analyze websites that fall into a number of categories:
  • For websites that we create and manage: to watch for emerging problems like newly broken external links.
  • For websites of new clients and prospective new clients: to analyze site structure for the sake of identifying defects and planning to repair them, as well as to detect internal and external 404s (broken links) for the sake of fixing or removing them.
  • For websites of competitors to our company or competitors to our clients to look for opportunities to learn from what they have done well or done poorly.
  • Crawls the structure of any website, producing a variety of reports that are useful
  • Helps identify defects like broken links that need fixing
  • The interface for Screaming Frog is "terse" and not easy to understand at first. With practice, though, it can be learned.
  • The price is sinfully expensive.
Well suited: analyzing websites' structure and link quality
Less appropriate: other tasks not supported by it, such as backlink analysis, visitor traffic stats or keyword ranking; also, where the user has a very limited budget
Read Tim Colling's full review
Anthony Dazhan Jr profile photo
September 16, 2016

Review: "Step Up your SEO Game w/ Screaming Frog"

We use screaming frog for site audits and uncovering numerous challenges and opportunities within the site. The switch between Spider and list mode have been very helpful, as well as the recent SERP tool for creating a better approach to meta optimization for character count.
  • Manage massive data
  • Provide detailed instruction
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Pull search console data
Screaming Frog works best for those who have a limited SEO tools budget, but require necessary resources to deep dive into their site. Even for those with resources, it comes in handy when you need to grab a lot of data very quickly. I also enjoy how they continuously improve the tool.
Read Anthony Dazhan Jr's full review
Brynna Baldauf profile photo
September 03, 2015

User Review: "Screaming for Screaming Frog"

My team and I use Screaming Frog to crawl websites to better understand the site hierarchy, unravel internal linking structures and verify live links across hundreds of domains. We can also easily find and download page titles, descripts and H1 tags in addition to the canonical links a page. What you can do with Screaming Frog is really limited by your imagination and desires. Our entire SEO team uses the product with every client that we touch and as a whole, the company has integrated Screaming Frog into every phase of the sales funnel. Our sales team uses it to estimate how big a site is and how many hours might be needed while our marketing team uses it to find the best placement for creative materials. It helps us to find information on a site without manually sifting through each webpage.
  • Check status codes for a set of URLs - Simply copy and paste the URLs into the open box and within minutes you are able to see the status code, response time and potential redirects for any of the URLs. While there are online versions of this, Screaming Frog has the best copy/paste option and includes any other URL data you might need as well.
  • Crawl URLs for a Custom Text - Without developing your own spider, there is no other way to do this other than visit each URL individually. This has saved us countless hours verifying proper analytics code implementation across an entire website and finding client mentions across hundreds of links.
  • Finding Canonical Links - Every time Screaming Frog crawls a link or site they report back the basic information which happens to include canonical links. Again, without building your own spider or reviewing hundreds of URLs it would be a lengthy task to find all of this information.
  • Customizing the crawler - It takes a little bit of playing around with the settings to understand what each of them controls and what options need to be checked or unchecked to get the right amount of information.
  • Cannot Crawl a large site - Screaming Frog runs out of memory when asked to crawl a large site, even after playing around with memory settings and allocating additional memory.
I would recommend Screaming Frog for anyone looking to crawl a large number of URLs or a small to medium size site. It does not handle large sites as well, as it runs out of memory, even with custom memory allocation. To crawl a large site I would recommend Xenu instead - you get less information but it can verify a larger number of URLs without running out of memory.
Read Brynna Baldauf's full review
Sungwan Jo profile photo
September 04, 2015

"Screaming Frog Review"

We use Screaming Frog to crawl our sites and provide SEO recommendations to our clients. From my past agency experiences, we've had multiple subscriptions for use across the organization. It helps us perform tech audits when it comes to meta data and content, it also allows us to help understand how efficeiently a website can be crawled and indexed.

In addition, we also use Screaming Frog to educate our clients on the various ways that SEO, PPC and other marketing folks can use the tool for site audits, keyword research, competitive analysis, link building and more.
  • Screaming Frog does a comprehensive job of crawling our sites and returning back important things such as meta data and technical directives.
  • We love testing redirects with Screaming Frog.
  • We also love the outlinks report to finding internal linking opps / orphan pages.
  • Screaming Frog is generally an ad hoc tool, there is no cloud functionality or monitoring like DeepCrawl has.
  • Javascript crawling.
  • More extensive scraper/custom export tool.
How will this be used? DeepCrawl is less technical and allows for newbies to understand the reports better. Screaming Frog is an older tool where you have cult followers.
Read Sungwan Jo's full review
Joe Preston profile photo
November 07, 2014

Screaming Frog Review: "My favorite SEO Tool"

Screaming Frog is used as a tool for primary analysis of site behavior by our Search and Analytics Team. We use it to crawl sites, debug indexing issues on our sites, to vet site tagging, and to assess the SEO health of every part of the web site.
  • Effectively and quickly assesses the scale of any problem that can be determined in the HTML source of a web site. Most sites of any age or of sufficient scale have numerous systems interacting to generate the source code. Screaming Frog's filters let you figure out where issues lie, and where they don't -- which can be key to solving for the issue.
  • Screaming Frog lets you crawl your site (and others - SHHHH) as Googlebot. If Googlebot can't get everywhere you want it to go, you can fix that.
  • Screaming Frog can effectively find duplicate content.
  • Screaming Frog can filter for HTML, Javascript, Images, I use custom filters all the time to find little bits of code. Great for Wordpress Plugin Issues.
  • It's a true SEO crawler. Reliable site-wide analytics on Metadata. You can find your canonicalization issues with this tag.
  • It will build XML sitemaps for you. Good ones!
  • It's slow on slow machines.
  • It's a bit of a resource hog.
  • It could go even further and add some intelligence and direction to it's wonderful analytics. No reason it couldn't provide recommendations.
There are a lot of SEO's who won't be helped meaningfully by this tool, until they understand the technical aspect of SEO. It can actually help you write better SEO copy, but it is more likely to be of use to someone who makes $ diagnosing canoicalization and duplicate content issues. There are better solutions available if you are limited to slow machines or connections.
Read Joe Preston's full review
September 04, 2015

Screaming Frog Review: "Quick, Easy, and Straight to the Point Data"

Screaming Frog is used in mostly just our Digital Marketing Department. We use this tool to determine if pages are missing meta data or if pages have meta data that is too short or too long. We use this tool to collect all the pages that Google crawls when re-writing and building new sitemaps for clients. This tool is also able to address any 404 or 500 issues that need to be attended to. When meeting with new clients we run their URL through Screaming Frog and are able to tell them where their sites current weaknesses are and how we would be able to improve them.
  • Collects all indexed HTML pages of the site. This helps for when we are redirecting old URLs to the URLs of a clients new site.
  • Finds all page titles that are too long or too short and allows us to address them more quickly than waiting for a program such as Moz. It's more immediate.
  • If we have duplicate meta data on pages, this program allows us to find them, sort them, export them and take care of them in a timely manner. In our business (as for many) time is money.
  • Updates. When it wants you to update, you get a pop up, then when you finally agree, it takes you to the website and you have to download it all over again.. Just update!
I would have a coworker use Screaming Frog SEO Spider to determine meta data completeness and consistency. Screaming Frog SEO Spider is also well suited for showing us which pages Google is crawling or not. In one instance, I was looking up a site's meta data info and Screaming Frog found no pages - discovered the site was down. I would not have them use Screaming Frog SEO Spider for keywords. Keywords and keyword ranking is important in our industry and this is something we have to move to a different tool such as Moz for.

Keyword analysis (9)
Backlink management (10)
SERP ranking tracking (5)
Page grader (8)
6.5
Competitive analysis (11)
Site audit / diagnostics (21)
9.4
Mobile SEO (7)
Global SEO (12)
9.5
Multi-domain support (12)
Integration with web analytics tools (15)

About Screaming Frog