Ahrefs Reviews

April 09, 2021
Mike Koolwijk | TrustRadius Reviewer
In the beginning we used Ahrefs a lot for link building, but by time they kept adding other tools making it [one] of the [most] complete SEO tools on the market. We mainly use it in our team of online marketers to check for opportunities in keywords and backlinks.

The main future we use is the "site explorer" With [one] click you see the overall performance of a page (also competition). Their backlinks, traffic, ranking score and many more. By seeing this data you can look for new backlinks from this list, by checking broken links or outdated links.

With this we can do quick and easy analyses on competitions and their link profiles, or existing link profiles.
  • Great filtering options
  • Big updated index data is all fresh
  • Fast competition keywords
  • Speed, sometimes when scanning big sites it can be really slow
  • Outdated look and feel on some parts (but hey you have great functions)
  • It tend to be overwhelming for new users or people new to SEO (but based by price this is also a more advanced tool)
  • Rank tracking is not that great only every 7 days on a lite plan...
This is a complete tool but [Ahrefs] can also be a complex tool. I tend to let coworkers use it but [it] never goes without some explaining to do. There is plenty of info on the internet and in their on website/blogs. We also mainly use it for link building, and use other tools for research on keywords and reporting ranks to customers, where this tool comes short.

After using multiple tools over a period of time and the functionality you might need there might be some better tools on the market function wise and price wise.
Read Mike Koolwijk's full review
April 06, 2021
Alex Panagiotopoulos | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it mainly as an SEO practitioner, a content creator, and as a client manager. It helps me track some overall, big-picture metrics for how different client websites are performing. It helps me research content ideas. It helps me monitor if competitors are doing anything noteworthy. And it helps me perform link outreach and prospect for opportunities on the behalf of clients. It also helps me manage our own web presence.
  • Metrics
  • Link prospecting
  • Content creation ideas
  • Online community
  • Price (I'd always love if they could slash a little off the top)
  • The social share counts are wonky
It's a great tool to help someone learn the ropes of SEO. Obviously it's not a be-all end-all; you shouldn't solely be looking to boost your metrics in Ahrefs; you should be tracking KPIs that are more centrally-tied to a business. But it does help provide a structural framework for understanding why one website is outranking another, or how you can do certain things; like figure out what pieces of content actually attracted links, find out who's linked to who, and prospect for people to ask for links.
Read Alex Panagiotopoulos's full review
March 18, 2020
Kenny King | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ahrefs Site Explorer is being used to do in depth keyword research for new content. Our company uses the Keyword Difficulty score to decide what content should be written for our site that will rank in search engines and bring in targeted traffic. We also use it for its extensive backlink database to keep track of new links and look at competitor's links to stay ahead of the game for SEO.
  • Backlink checker - Ahrefs has a huge database of links and will help you keep track of new links and research competitor's links.
  • Keyword research - Finding keywords is the most important step in any SEO campaign. Ahrefs will help you find the perfect keyword to rank in Google.
  • Google features - Ahrefs is one of the best tools to find Google Features, included Featured Snippets, Knowledge Panels and more. See what features your site triggers in Google as well as which you competitors trigger.
  • Traffic stats are always slightly off. I know it's impossible to get perfect stats, but closer to actual stats would be a great feature.
  • Internal link opportunities. While Ahrefs has an internal link report, a nice feature would be suggestions for internal links, similar to their Top Pages feature, but for internal links.
  • More filters on referring domains report. Our company uses the referring domains report every day. Having more filters would help us determine which links are moving the needle more accurately.
Ahrefs is perfect for anyone starting an SEO campaign, or anyone well into an SEO campaign. Unless you have an established site that is ranking for all your target keywords, Ahrefs is a vital tool to help you find high quality backlinks and targeted keywords that your site can rank for and bring in high converting traffic.
Ahrefs has always been responsive when there's been a technical issue with the site. There are usually very little problems, but if there are, they announce it on their social media accounts which keeps its customers informed. Email support is prompt and the customer service people are very helpful, knowledgable and friendly.
Read Kenny King's full review
February 29, 2020
Katelyn Massey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs to supplement our SEO and backlinking efforts. We track domain-level metrics, use the site explorer, content explorer and competitive analysis tools, and to some extent, we track keywords and use the keyword research tools. We track only a few different domains and utilize a lower-tier package.
  • Backlink analysis
  • Link prospecting
  • Competitive analysis
  • Keyword analysis
  • Content analysis
  • Technical insights
Ahrefs is a recommended tool to add to your existing SEO toolset. It has some very obvious strengths when it comes to backlink analysis, identifying competitive gaps, and tracking basic domain-level metrics. The cost is very reasonable for most budgets.
We have not contacted the support team for Ahrefs. The platform is easy to setup and manage.
Read Katelyn Massey's full review
February 28, 2020
Lauren Ericksen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ahrefs Site Explorer is used by the SEM department in my company as a means to find organic keywords people used to land on our websites. This allows us to target those keywords in our content, giving us one up on our competition. Ahrefs is also very beneficial when doing link building. We can use their link intersect to see what backlinks our competitors have that we don't and go after them.
  • Provides us with backlinks
  • Provides us with organic keywords lists
  • I wish I could filter out more than one keyword
  • When looking at information about domain authority it's not very intuitive
Ahrefs Site Explorer is great for finding new keywords that you didn't already have in your website or even better versions of the ones you already have. The tool used for link management is great because it's easy to use and generates links you don't have quickly. This allows us to contact other vendors and have them quickly link to our website.
Ahrefs Site Explorer allows me to see things like the domain authority, backlink, organic keywords and much more, which helps me alter my websites to perform better. When contacting their support team, Ahrefs has always been super helpful and have answered any questions I've had immediately. If I have run into a problem with their product, they resolve the issue right away.
Read Lauren Ericksen's full review
February 12, 2020
Eric Serdar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs Site Explorer to help us with keyword research, backlink tracking, competitor tracking, and looking at the top pages on our site. It helps us make strategic decisions on our SEO strategy, content creation, and how to work with other departments. Currently, it's only used by our content team and our SEO team, but others have expressed interest in being trained in it.
  • Backlink tracking
  • Top pages/subfolders
  • Visualization of organic keywords drilldown
  • Site audit feature is weak
  • We love Ahrefs Site Explorer, and it's been an invaluable tool. We switched from a competitor tool because we felt Ahrefs Site Explorer better suited our needs. We were doing more content creation, strategy, and comparisons. Ahrefs Site Explorer has helped us find content gaps with our competitors, and we've been able to create a strategy to go after those gaps.
  • The keyword research section has been really good for us. It's been really valuable to see the click percentage when we're doing keyword research.
We've had very few interactions with the support team, mainly because the product always works for us. When we have had to work with them, they've been great to work with!
Read Eric Serdar's full review
February 05, 2020
Deanna Rivera | TrustRadius Reviewer
The key to optimizing a website for search is keywords and Ahrefs is an amazing tool for researching the best keywords and which websites are currently ranking well for each potential keyword. We get instant information on traffic, difficulty, click through and value and can easily compare to additional potential keywords. This tool saves time and frustration and is a broader measure than anything Google provides.
  • Keyword research.
  • Content planning.
  • Less costly team accounts.
  • Better integration of education within the tool.
Ahrefs is well suited for anyone developing websites, blogging, or needing to attract more traffic. It is also good for researching keywords for adwords. It is not well suited for anyone who does not have a good foundational grasp of search optimization.
Read Deanna Rivera's full review
January 31, 2020
Sanjit Mandal | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ahrefs Site Explorer is great to dig deep into backlinks for all websites (new and lost), checking anchor texts, referring domains, you can do traffic research, keyword research, competitive research to see how the competition is going. There is also a paid traffic tool too, not one I use often, but you can research paid advertising too.
  • Keyword research
  • Backlink analysis
  • Sharing client projects
  • More than one user at the advanced plan
The keyword and backlink research data is invaluable. You can look up detailed backlink data for any website out there, their top keywords, top landing pages, you get keyword volume data and it will all help to build powerful marketing strategies.
If a site needs to learn about their competition and figure out what kinds of content to write, they can use the keyword research tool.
I have not used it much, but when I had, I have received an email reply in a timely manner.
Read Sanjit Mandal's full review
January 30, 2020
Jake Tully | TrustRadius Reviewer
In terms of tackling new marketing projects, Ahrefs has been invaluable in saving the marketing department a great deal of time and effort. Ahrefs allows us to focus in on specifics, such as which keywords we can target and which websites we can potentially partner with. The site also focuses on larger-scale issues such as our overall web ranking and how competitive we are in the online marketing sphere.
  • It's easy to use for those uninitiated with web rankings.
  • It provides powerful, easy to use reporting.
  • Better integration with Google Analytics.
  • A more comprehensive offering of web traffic stats.
When launching marketing projects, such as blogging or creating white pages for content across my company's sites, Ahrefs was indispensable as an ally in helping my team target certain keywords and phrases. For a team that I lead that was consistently working on a greater SEO presence across multiple keywords within a specific industry, Ahrefs was an ally that constantly provided new information and ideas for how to create more meaningful and effective content. Ahrefs also gave us a general understanding of our overall web ranking within our industry and beyond, allowing us to create realistic goals for our team.
The ahrefs team was always helpful, thoughtful and intuitive whenver we had an issue with the site. Issues with the site have rarely come up, therefore a majority of the contact with the customer support team has been ahrefs reps helping new users walk through the site, giving users advice on how to best use the software.
Read Jake Tully's full review
January 18, 2020
Mark Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our department uses Ahrefs Site Explorer for a myriad of things related to SEO, both paid and organic. I specifically use it to determine whether the influencers our company works with have adequate websites that will create positive linking opportunities for our brand. It also helps to evaluate their social channels too!
  • Provides Website Traffic for Prospective Partners.
  • Link Intersect Tool helps to Find New Niches for Marketing Projects.
  • Very Crowded Dashboard.
  • The Color Scheme Is Outdated and Could be More User Friendly.
If you have an arsenal of tools to pick up where your other tools lack, it would benefit you to have Ahrefs Site Explorer to fill a void where something like Moz, SEMRush, or SimilarWeb may be lacking. It's always beneficial to look at things more than one way, and Ahrefs Site Explorer provides a unique look at basic SEO tenets and processes.
For what I use it for, Ahrefs Site Explorer serves it's purpose adequately. It does an excellent job of explaining each number, term, column, etc. via an information bubble in each search column. I feel this tool helps beginners and experts find the SEO reports they desire, and, when used in tandem with other SEO tools, can be a very powerful software.
Read Mark Anderson's full review
January 06, 2020
Maddy Osman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Ahrefs Site Explorer to do research around link building, guest posting, and even just to see how my own website is doing in the world of SEO. Site Explorer shares stats regarding a website's domain rating, which can be useful for determining how to proceed with various SEO tasks. This benchmark metric also helps to inform how effectively you can rank for a given keyword you're trying to optimize for. It also provides valuable data regarding how many backlinks a website has and where they're coming from — which can be useful from a competitor research standpoint.
  • Competitor research around backlinks.
  • Finding high-authority websites for placing guest posts and backlinks.
  • Explain why data is missing when not available.
  • Help users understand when backlinks should be considered as spam.
I primarily use Ahrefs Site Explorer for determining whether or not a website is worth going after for guest posts, expert roundup participation, and other backlink placement activities. It's a great tool for seeing a bunch of related data in one dashboard. It works with other Ahrefs tools for an all-in-one solution for SEO. It's hard to think of a related situation where Site Explorer wouldn't be useful — I think it's important to go in understanding what it's best used for (backlink building).
Ahrefs shares a lot of useful free content for maximizing and finding new uses for their tools. They are very connected to their userbase and always interested in finding ways to make their tool better (including soliciting opinions).
Read Maddy Osman's full review
February 18, 2020
Ahrefs Site Explorer is an SEO tool that helps users like me analyze and improve search engine visibility by providing backlink profiles, including referring domains, keywords driving traffic, and the value of that traffic. It bridges the gap between on-page and off-page SEO, connecting the dots between my site's content and the links that have been built to my site.
  • Backlink profile
  • Organic search reporting
  • UI is busy
Ahrefs Site Explorer is a solid choice for SEO teams, both in-house and agency teams, who want to understand how their sites—and their competitors' sites—are performing in search. Good for finding new SEO opportunities. It's not an "all-in-one" tool, so expect to use it alongside other tools you may already be using for monitoring, reporting, and optimization.
I never had to contact customer support.
February 18, 2020
Ahrefs Site Explorer is used by the SEO area to find info about backlink profile, backlink strength, etc. for clients, potential clients (sales prospects), and competing sites. We use it for competitor analysis. We use it to see the state of sites' backlink profiles at a glance. We use it to find potential opportunities to get backlinks for our clients.
  • Backlink finding
  • Analysis of competing sites' backlinks
  • Backlink profile thoroughness
  • Wish it was a tad cheaper
  • Ahrefs Site Explorer is very well suited for looking at a competing ranking website and finding: what is their backlink strength? What backlinks do they have? Are there some backlink opportunities we can capitalize on? Do they have more powerful backlinks than us? What are some organic keywords they rank for that we could take up? What is their estimated organic traffic?
  • It's not as good for finding super fresh news backlinks - doesn't pick those up as fast as I'd like.
I have not had to use their support for anything, so I can't speak to it either positively or negatively. I'll put eight as a reasonably average answer. The fact that I've never needed it is a great sign, though!
February 14, 2020
We use the Ahrefs Site Explorer as part of our Link Building services. It provides a great way to track how many backlinks we've built over time and how much Domain Rating has changed. It also allows us to look at what sites are linking to our clients' competitors and see if there are any that we can potentially reach out to.
  • The platform is easily navigable with tabs on the side to look at different reports. It also provides Info links that you can hover over, which explain specific terms that the system uses. This greatly helps prevent any confusion.
  • Great for competitor analysis to see what websites are linking to your competitors. The fact that it lets you look at multiple competitors at the same time to see if they share any links that you don't have is also excellent.
  • I wish there were a shorter path from seeing competitor backlinks to seeing what page on those sites is linking to the competitor. If there were a way to do this all from the Link Intersect tool, it would be much easier.
  • Organic Keywords report could let you more easily see how rankings change over time.
Ahrefs Site Explorer is essential for any marketing team that does SEO. Link building is a huge part of ranking for targeted keywords, and Ahrefs Site Explorer is the best tool I've used to keep track of all that. It is less appropriate as a keyword tracking tool. I've found that SEMRush is much better for doing a site audit and tracking how keyword rankings have changed over time.
Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with Ahrefs Site Explorer that would make me go to customer support. I think this is a testament to how well the system is built out.
February 25, 2020
We use Ahrefs on a daily basis, to keep track of all our rankings, to create product descriptions that are SEO friendly and as a general guide for all our search engine optimization data. It is also very useful to optimize blog articles and to target specific keywords that have traffic volume.
  • The UR and DR Index are great to measure how the SEO efforts are playing out on a per page (or product) basis.
  • The keywords movement report is very useful as it helps to understand areas that need improvement.
  • I wish they included more than just the first 20 keyword rank positions in their basic monthly plan.
Ahrefs is a great tool to have a vision into what is happening and what can be done to improve the SEO rankings. I have tried other tools like SEMRush, but I find Ahrefs a lot easier to use and to make sense of the data. The SEO Toolbar is a wonderful tool as it allows a quickview into any webpage or search as I browse.
Their customer support is excellent, they address my concerns in a speedy manner. I have only contacted them by email, and I always get a reply or answer to my question a few hours or sooner after I send the request.
I am very happy with their customer service, I have no complaints.
October 08, 2019
Patricio A. Quiroz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ahrefs site explorer has been a great tool for me in my link-building efforts. I love the ability to spy on your competitors to see what they are doing and where they are getting links to give you ideas for strategies. We use it in our digital marketing department for a variety of tactics. I use it for backlink analysis, competitor research, and keyword research. We also use the "content explorer" tool to find a variety of industry topics that we can blog about. It addresses a number of business problems, such as giving us that competitive edge over our competitors. It allows us to collect and gather different types of data in order to design an effective SEO and Marketing campaigns. It provides us with the data we need to continue growing our domain ranking and rank higher in the SERPS.
  • The Backlink Tool from Ahrefs is great; you can see who your competitors are linking to and how they are receiving those backlinks.
  • The site explorer is great to do an overall analysis of your competitors, from checking their domain ranking to keywords they rank for.
  • The content explorer is great for finding popular topics in your industry to brainstorm ideas for articles and guest posts.
  • Domain ranking changes over time.
  • Ads receiving the most traffic.
  • More filters for backlink profile.
It is great for competitor analysis and back-link building.
They offer help and support for many of there features.
Read Patricio A. Quiroz's full review
July 13, 2019
Kevin Bossons | TrustRadius Reviewer
At my agency, we use Ahref in a number of key areas. The first and most obvious area is backlink research. I've used other competitors like Majestic and Moz (oftentimes together), and time and time again the quantitive amount of backlink data and new links picked up was always much better within Ahrefs. We'll use Ahrefs to dig into client and competitor websites to find links, content, and relationship opportunities. We'll use it to a lesser extent on the sales side to identify the current state of our target client website, compared to major competitors. A quick domain comparison report reveals quite a bit of information! Finally, our content creation staff use the content explorer for topics already being shared on social media. We actually dropped a few tools due to all of the features Ahrefs offers.
  • Backlink research.
  • Content topic/popularity research.
  • Site audits.
  • Like any "swiss army" sort of solution, there may be individual things other platforms do better.
I use Ahrefs for organic search campaign keyword research (content explorer), competitor research using the link intelligence and domain comparison tools, and finally, for client and competitor audits using the audit tool. Ahrefs is one of the few tools I rely on to power much of my strategy and planning effort alongside Google search queries. It's a well-rounded suite of tools that I find a lot of value in at the different stages of planning and implementation of marketing campaigns. I don't use the rank tracker, I have other tools that gather keyword data for much cheaper.
Read Kevin Bossons's full review
June 28, 2019
Andrew Clark | TrustRadius Reviewer
When we decided to focus our efforts around SEO, we explored several options for our SEO toolkit. Ahrefs continually came up as the best solution in a crowded market. We use it to track our SEO progress, plan content and keyword targeting, and to monitor backlinks to our site. It's our bag of tricks for making sure we're making good progress with our SEO efforts.
  • Great web-crawling and site-crawling features.
  • Link building seems to be their specialty, and tracking and monitoring backlinks is excellent with Ahrefs.
  • It's an all-in-one solution, with plenty of tools for SEO work, eliminating the need for additional tools.
  • Complexity. Ahrefs is great & powerful, but not always the easiest to understand. You have to know what you're doing to get real value.
  • There's variable tool quality. As with any all-in-one solution, the quality of each individual tool varies. I'd highly recommend the trial to figure out if Ahrefs will fit your specific needs.
  • Price. It's just a little on the high side, as the "Lite" plan is fairly limited, and the next plan up is almost double the cost. There are certainly more affordable options out there, but you often get what you pay for with these things.
Ahrefs is well-suited for anyone looking for a powerful all-in-one solution for their SEO needs, particularly if you come to them with some existing knowledge or expertise. They have great content to help teach users how to use their product, but it isn't as simple or easy to use as some other SEO tools.
Ahrefs wouldn't be great for the overly conscious, or for people who are just getting started with SEO. There are other well-known players in the space that could better fill that role.
Read Andrew Clark's full review
May 21, 2019
Chris Kirksey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs Site Explorer for fixing issues on current client websites mainly. It provides a wonderful overview of every aspect of a website, including the SEO aspect. I haven't come by a more in-depth website audit tool and love how we can connect/verify ownership of the website in order to change how quickly the site can be scanned.
  • I love how the Ahrefs Site Explorer has the content breakdown so that you can analyze each pages content quality and word count.
  • How it checks resources such as images, Javascript and CSS are really useful.
  • The way you can create a to-do list of fixes is awesome.
  • no cons
It's great for when you launch a new website and need to check if you missed anything during the launch since it's so in depth.
Read Chris Kirksey's full review
May 06, 2019
Krupali Mandavia | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am into Digital Marketing and I have got several clients for whom I am using Ahrefs Site Explorer. We have a paid version of Ahrefs and we haven't changed our mind till date. It is a perfect tool for us.
  • Competitor Analysis
  • Content Explorer
  • Organic Keywords
  • Website Audit
  • The Traffic of Website should be shown as a whole instead of just showing the organic traffic.
  • Site Audit should focus on all the aspects of the websites.
  • I still prefer Google Adwords for exploring Keywords.
I use Afrefs Site Explorer especially for tracking the backlinks of competitors. It's the best tool I have used and I guess there cannot be any alternative for it.
Read Krupali Mandavia's full review
May 01, 2019
Joseph Lesho | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs to monitor and evaluate linkbacks, domain rating, and URL rating.
  • It's extremely easy to use.
  • Data is presented in an easy-to-read manner.
  • Great for competitor analysis.
  • Keyword position tracking is not as useful as other tools on the market.
It's great for backlink management, but keyword tracking is better suited for other tools.
Read Joseph Lesho's full review
June 07, 2019
I used Ahrefs for a number of years within a large scale online real estate site. I now use it as part of consulting engagements. Ahrefs allows marketing professionals, particularly SEO professionals, to see competitor backlinks. In this regard, it's also incredibly useful for content marketing idea generation, as well as PR outreach.
  • Competitor backlink research
  • Competitor keyword position research
  • Easy exporting of all search results to Excel or CSV files
  • Somewhat epensive for small orgs/one man teams
  • Site can run very slowly when you get deep into link results
Well suited for SEO teams looking to mimic or beat competitors in organic search rankings. Backlinks are a big driver of this success. Also well suited for PR teams looking to see where competitors were mentioned in online news outlets.

Not well suited for those without at least a basic understanding of digital marketing.
February 13, 2019
Nathan Sichilongo | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Ahrefs Site Explorer to manage our website search engine marketing efforts and manage our SEO campaigns. I manage multiple online properties and need to keep up with ranking performance and SEO trends to ensure that we can continue to capture leads and get business from search engines. Ahrefs is used specifically by the digital marketing team.
  • Crawl link depth is probably the best feature of Ahrefs. Being able to crawl more sites means that users have access to more data than the nearest SEO link competitor. Crawl depth is important for good SEO and Ahrefs checks that box off with a bold mark!
  • Ahrefs has many tools you can use. Site explorer, keyword explorer, content explorer, rank tracker, site audit checker tools and more just to name a few. While I personally do not use most of the tools available, its good to know that they are available to use when needed. The depth of tools makes this the swiss army knife for SEO professionals.
  • Ahrefs allows you to keep track of your site links, rankings, and keywords with a 15-minute delayed-crawl rate. This means you can keep track of changes and monitor sites closer to real-time than you would with other tools. In the SEO world, that is as close to perfection as it gets. I have tried several other SEO management tools and Ahrefs beats them at this.
  • Ahrefs pricing is fair, but honestly it is a put off for smaller SEO teams. If there was a smaller package that would allow SEOs to have access to core tools and then pay more for other tools (as needed), it would make more sense.
  • Despite giving you access to multiple tools, Ahrefs Site Explorer does not allow you to use them simultaneously. This is rather odd as one may want to get a report for a site while monitoring the keywords for the same site. It would be easier if the tools were linked in some way and could be used in sync it would be helpful
  • A mobile app would be nice! There are countless times I have wanted to use Ahrefs on the go, and having to log in on a laptop is not always ideal. The basic functions can easily be included in a mobile app that can be made available to users.
If you have been doing SEO for a few years, Ahrefs is a step up from other tools. Since it provides so many tools that most SEO professionals use on a daily basis under one account, it can easily be the go-to for an advanced SEO. Some scenarios where Ahrefs is well suited would include:
1) Site audits and backlink profiling.
2) Content marketing and research.
3) Keyword research and planning.
While Ahrefs is good for keeping track of rankings (with its legendary crawl depth), if that is all you want to do, you may want to look at some cheaper options.
Read Nathan Sichilongo's full review
January 16, 2019
Katie Goh | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs primarily on the consumer marketing team, but also for our B2B team as well. We use it regularly to discover keyword opportunities and content gaps. The data and metrics used are the best I've seen. Once I used the Ahrefs database of keywords and links, I found myself using SEMRush and Moz less and less.
  • Click rate metrics for each keyword
  • Content gap analysis
  • Best link database I've used
  • Useful keyword and link filtering in all reports
  • URL rating distribution is a bit confusing and not as useful as Domain rating distribution would be. All sites I've reviewed with this tend to have a very poor distribution here.
  • New and lost referring domains links is a bit confusing as well. I've never seen any tool do this chart in a way that makes sense. Dramatic rises and loses tend to send people down the wrong path of investigation. A weighted version (based on DR) would likely be more useful.
Ahrefs is perfectly suited for the average website to run a backlink review, track link building, and to discover keyword opportunities. There are several ways to track competitors progress as well.

Ahrefs has led me to make several recommendations for answer box featured content and other types of content as well. I get tons of ad-hoc requests for keywords and topics to review because my colleagues have found this information so useful to them. I rarely have to edit the exported reports because they are so clear, even to those with little SEO background.
Read Katie Goh's full review
January 01, 2019
Tim Colling | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Ahrefs for a wide variety of analytical purposes: client positioning and standings analysis, competitor analysis, keyword research and more. It contains a diverse set of powerful analytical tools for SEO and other online marketing tasks. For us, it replaced several competing products.
  • Backlinks reporting and analysis: does this at least as well as, and probably better than, Majestic.
  • Linking domains reporting and analysis: does this better than Majestic.
  • Keyword research: powerful and insightful tools for analyzing and selecting keywords for marketing campaigns.
  • Ahrefs does not have a feature similar to the Topical tagging in Majestic. Adding that would be a big improvement.
  • Pricing: Ahrefs is just plain *expensive* compared to competing products.
It just does the most important tasks better than anyone else.
Read Tim Colling's full review

Keyword analysis (46)
Backlink management (48)
SERP ranking tracking (45)
Page grader (43)
Competitive analysis (47)
Site audit / diagnostics (43)
Site recommendations (42)
Task management (23)
6.7
Local SEO (35)
Social SEO (35)
Mobile SEO (31)
Global SEO (37)
Multi-domain support (40)
Integration with web analytics tools (30)

What is Ahrefs?

Ahrefs is a software company that develops online SEO tools and free educational materials for marketing professionals.

Ahrefs all-in-one SEO toolset can help users with:
  • Competitor research: unveil competitor's organic keywords, backlink strategies and PPC keywords
  • Link Building: find the strongest backlink opportunities in a niche
  • Keyword Research: get maximum relevant keyword ideas and see how hard it would be to rank
  • Website Audit: find what SEO issues a website has and learn how to fix them
    Content Research: discover the most popular content on any topic and find the best ideas for content
  • Rank Tracking: track search rankings along with competitors'
  • Mentions Monitoring: get email alerts every time a brand is mentioned online.
The vendor states the Ahrefs database has 8 billion keywords and 421 billion indexed pages, and that this enables Ahrefs is able to provide maximum data and accuracy to its users.