More than Satisfied
January 22, 2019
More than Satisfied
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer
The ability to monitor, in real time, some new database servers we purchased is key to making them as effective as possible. We also needed visibility into inefficiencies surrounding our existing servers. Having a system with email alerts, AD integration, at-a-glance holistic dashboard views, and resource monitoring were key, but DPA goes over and above with index and query recommendations, and integration with our existing Orion platform. Already having Orion meant the Database Performance Analyzer was sort of a no-brainer, but the features of DPA have proven that it's worth the money.
- Customizable Alerts
- At-A-Glance Categorized Statuses and Wait Time Trending
- Holistic Server/Application Monitoring using Orion
- Availability Group status monitoring could be a little more developed, and sometimes it doesn't report the correct primary replica until the page is refreshed.
- DPA reports on queries that may benefit from tuning, but it would be great if you could turn off the recommendations for specific databases, such as vendor application databases where procedures are not likely to be touched.
- DPA is licensed per instance analyzed so, for us, only the higher priority database servers are monitored.
- DPA is not dependent on Orion, but integrates with it. This means if you don't need all of the cool features of Orion and want to just pay to monitor the database instances then you can install it all by itself.
We're constantly on the lookout for indexes that can be created or made better using DPA. It is so easy when a hyperlink is provided that shows you the exact statement to run (minus the name) that will create the recommended index. DPA shows the information on existing indexes, columns, size, type, unique, and even the fragmentation percentage.
There is so much within Orion that it's hard to know where to begin. You can quickly go from a high-level network map to an individual database and single query within Orion when it's integrated with DPA. Easy to view bar charts within DPA are similarly displayed within Orion for wait times, along with how each query affects different resources on the system.
DPA is web-based, so when you can't get directly into SQL to see what's going on it gives you all the tools to find performance concerns. DPA gives bar charts that are color-coded to see if there's a particular statement that is causing the most waits, allowing you to focus on queries that may not be performing as expected, long-running queries, excessive blocking, etc. You can immediately see when one or two applications or processes are areas of potential concern.