January 25, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer
The SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) is primarily used to monitor the performance of critical databases in the environment. It has been very helpful in assisting the team in identifying performance bottlenecks and helping our DBAs to be proactive with potential performance issues before it reaches the end-users.
- Query tuning advisor.
- Historical performance data collection.
- Providing query information along with its source system.
- "Alerts" setup is not intuitive.
- Lack of support for multi-domain AD/LDAP configuration.
- No straight forward method to get plan handle number from plan hash value displayed in DPA.
- Index tuning on frequently-used queries in critical database servers, which significantly reduces instance total wait-time.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot performance issues using wait-time data with RCA.
SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) provides its users with a graphical display of monitored instance's total wait over time, and this helps to quickly identify when a performance problem happens, and what SQL statements are experiencing the problem. More importantly, DPA enables users with the ability to drill down to a specific query and/or time frame to do in-depth analysis on wait type, resources' health, blocking, etc.
When looking at a query, SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) tool provides different pieces of information on the query execution such as wait-time, number of executions calculated at the end of the day, number of reads per execution, number of rows a query produces per execution, and read/row ratio. More importantly, DPA points out the inefficient steps from the query's plan that could potentially be tuned along with the index recommendation. This helps the DBA to quickly evaluate whether the query is worth tuning, and how to quickly tune it.