Tableau Server is perfect for real-time visualization and interactive dashboards, not for advanced analyticshttps://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biTableau ServerUnspecified8.16661012019-01-09T18:12:01.750Z
January 09, 2019
Tableau Server is perfect for real-time visualization and interactive dashboards, not for advanced analytics
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Server
Tableau Server is used by our organization to implement real-time data visualization and monitoring. The software is used only by certain departments. Tableau Server makes real-time data analytics easy for busy executives who want interactive visualizations and reporting without having to put too much work into what they are doing.
- Tableau is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing software to create beautiful visualizations that get updated in real-time. I wish this software had been around 20 years ago.
- Tableau Server makes sharing visualizations across the organization seamless. I don't think I could do my job without it.
- Tableau Server is used to create interactive daily reports, updated automatically and in an interactive style.
- Tableau Server is sometimes referred to as simply Microsoft Excel with a power boost. I understand the reason analysts say this. It is because the software is almost exclusively a visualization software. If you're looking for truly advanced analytics combined with cutting-edge visualization, Tableau Server isn't it.
- Tableau Server limits the type of graphs a user can create. There are numerous workarounds for different graph types, but they are not easy to implement.
- Tableau Server can sometimes be slow to render graphics with lots of data and calculated fields.
- Tableau Server has replaced Excel spreadsheets in much of what I do. The software really did save a ton of time and improved the overall work product. I think the ROI has been heavily in the positive.
- For analysts trying to get others to improve their reporting processes, Tableau Server may at first represent a negative ROI because others are unwilling to change. If you're unable to get others to change their habits, Tableau Server may not be for you.
- Tableau Server was easy to set up. The required headcount was as little as 1 for report creation. It's very easy to get up and going with Tableau Server.
Tableau Server is used on-premises for interactive report creation and visualization. We have creator licenses and viewer licenses. The viewers are individuals that don't know how to create Tableau visualizations but want interactive control over what they are looking for. The creator licenses create real-time visualizations and content.
From my experience, Tableau Server is simple to administer. Permissions are easily assignable and controlling access is simple with a few mouse clicks. It may take a newbie some time to understand the intricacies of Tableau Server administration. It does take some time commitment.
Tableau has live connections to every data source I have ever wanted to use. The most common data sources are Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Access, Oracle, and Excel. I have connected Tableau Server to other data sources, including AWS, Azure, and many others. I've never had a problem.
Tableau Server is easy to share creative control. The software doesn't require any special networking knowledge to create interactive dashboards across the organization. The alerts and security take a bit more time (especially the security), but nothing outrageous. It's really easy to collaborate with Tableau Server. This is one of the software's strong points.
Tableau technical support is great. They will do screen sharing or email suggestions or talk on the phone. The only complaint I have on Tableau Sever's technical support is that support takes at least a few hours to get back to you. Sometimes the delay can be more than a day or two. The product documentation and online community make implementing the software easy.
Tableau Server Feature Ratings
Using Tableau Server
Tableau Server is unbeatable at creating easy to use, interactive dashboards for busy executives. The software also saves time for the busy analyst that is tired of always using Excel. Tableau Server is a head and shoulders improvement over Excel.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- The "Show Me" visualization is awesome.
- The drag and drop is easy.
- Customizing Tableau is about as easy as it gets.
- Making calculations is Tableau Server is sometimes very difficult.
- Customizing Tableau Server for a very specific graphical display can sometimes be very, very time-consuming.
- Tableau Server sometimes takes a good deal of time to update.