Overall Satisfaction with Tintri
Tintri is being used in our virtual server environments providing storage to the VMWare and Hyper-V clusters. Prior to implementing Tintri all Microsoft SQL and Oracle virtual server deployments required thick provisioning due to performance issues. With Tintri storage attached to our virtual server infrastructure, the use of thick provisioned drives for virtual machines is a thing of the past.
- Thin provisioned drives for SQL and Oracle databases allow maximizing virtual environment storage
- Excellent performance in the virtual environment
- Works well with System Center Virtual Machine Manager and Hyper-V
- Some of the documentation for System Center Virtual Machine Manager and Hyper V setup was unclear
- Drastically decrease virtual server install time
- Allowing thin provision drives without performance issues
Tintri is the only flash based storage solution that I have used, I cannot do a comparison on that, but Tintri compared to backend disk-based solutions is just an unfair comparison. I see no reason to not to use Tintri for any of your storage requirements unless price is the number one factor. It's more expensive than disk-based solutions.
I do not see any reason why anyone would not use Tintri as backend storage for anything. Tintri is flash storage so it's a bit more expensive than your regular backend storage but the speed is amazingly fast. Building virtual machines on Tintri storage cuts down server deployment time by 75%.