VMware ESXi Reviews

February 18, 2021
VMware ESXi is being used across the board throughout the whole organization. We are using it for Servers, Virtual Desktops (End Users) and for numerous headless applications. By leveraging shared hardware resources ESXi eliminates the need of bare metal machines for different servers/applications and provides a stable infrastructure that you can count on.
  • Network segmenting.
  • Quick and easy management of resources.
  • Backup and restore capabilities.
  • Moving resources from one cluster to another seamlessly.
  • Pricing and Licensing.
  • DSwitches.
  • Vmotions & SAN.
Shared hardware resources. VM Pools. Well suited within organizations with remote workers [as] it can eliminate needs for Advanced firewalls, keep security intact within organization applications.
January 12, 2021
VMware ESXi is the virtualization platform we use for all of our virtual machines on site. It allows us to have two data centers, separated by microwave backhaul, that share systems between themselves.
  • Quick rollout of new VMs through templates
  • Advanced networking capabilities
  • Easy migration of virtual machines to new compute and storage
  • Easier upgrade process
  • Less expensive options for mid-tier organizations (Essentials is too small)
VMware ESXi is well suited for any on-premises virtualization environment. It's particularly useful for small sites that can utilize the essentials package. The price goes up substantially per host when you go over three machines. Even with the difference in cost, it's still the best platform for virtualization at this size.
March 20, 2020
Tim Enders | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMWare ESXi as the virtualization platform for our entire production environment across the University. This includes all on-premises production, test, and development servers, as well as our remote application delivery and VDI environments. It allows us to design and rapidly deploy environments that are flexible, redundant, and efficient. We have used VMware ESXi for over ten years and are quite happy with the product. It is essential to everything that we do.
  • Virtualization - it allows you to take full advantage of your hardware investments
  • Flexibility - it allows you to run services across disparate hardware types
  • Scalability - it allows you to expand and deploy new services rapidly
  • Complexity - if you're not familiar with the product there is a learning curve.
  • It does require other licensed VMWare products (vCenter Server, etc.) for full functionality.
VMware ESXi is one of the two or three best products I've used in my career. It revolutionized IT infrastructure when it was released, and it continues to be an essential underpinning to our entire environment now. It is the segment leader for on-premises server virtualization. It does carry some significant licensing costs, but we have found that those easily pay for themselves over time for an institution of our size.
VMWare support has always been quite excellent over the years. They are generally prompt to respond, and when they do, their support engineers are knowledgeable and are usually able to resolve our problems quite quickly. On several occasions, they have gone above and beyond to make themselves available in off-hours to assist us.
Read Tim Enders's full review
March 06, 2020
A couple years before I came to the company, the decision was made to convert all the physical servers into virtual machines using ESXi. The process itself is easy as VMware or third parties provide you with the tools to do so. All the changes we've made since I've been here wouldn't have been nearly as easy if we were working physical servers rather than using a virtual environment. Spinning up a new virtual machine or cloning an existing to test changes before going to production makes things easy.
  • Monitoring and reporting of virtual machines in environment.
  • In-depth configuration and management of hypervisor and virtual machines.
  • Uptime 900+ days.
  • Some of the events could be more informative.
I'm a bit biased here. Having little experience with HyperV or others, I'd say ESXi is my go-to with virtualization.
VMware has always been great with support for their products. The few minor problems we've had with ESXi, they were able to help quickly and without issue. Every person we've talked to is very knowledgeable in the products they offer.
April 29, 2020
VMware ESXi is installed on 4 HP blade servers configured as a cluster that host all of our Windows servers for the entire organization. It has proven to be reliable, robust and provides excellent redundancy. With this system server deployments upgrades take a fraction of the time compared to physical infrastructure.
  • Small footprint
  • Reliable
  • Linux based
  • Management
  • Licensing costs
For an HP blade server infrastructure in a Windows VM environment this is an excellent choice. Integrated as a cluster, this an extremely reliable system which at least in our case has had zero downtime, very little maintenance with performance that meets and exceeds our needs now and well into the future.
We have very little issues or problems. On the few rare occasions issue have occurred they were minor and solved immediately by VMware. This is probably one of the most reliable items we have that requires the least amount of support.
January 30, 2020
Kurt Pritchett | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMware ESXi to host all of our virtual servers around the district and also in our data center. It's also being used by other departments to access virtual servers in our environment. Each location has 1 ESXi host that runs multiple virtual servers. Those virtual servers are used for caching images and updates for workstations at each location.
  • ESXi is able to minimize the physical server footprint.
  • ESXi is also very easy to get up and running.
  • I would like to see better performance analytics built in to ESXi.
  • ESXi could find a way to boot faster.
ESXi is very well suited for companies that don't have the money or can't afford to run a big data center. We were able to reduce our server hardware footprint from 15 to 1. All of our data center ESXi hosts will now fit into one rack, reducing the number of physical servers also reduced our power consumption.
If you only need to run one OS for all applications, ESXi may not be for you.
Just about every time I have used VMWare support they have been very knowledgeable and were able to fix my issue right away. I've only had a couple of times where I had to get my problem escalated to another higher level engineer. At the end of the day, they were always able to fix any problem I had.
Read Kurt Pritchett's full review
January 18, 2020
Chris Saenz | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware ESXi is being used to host applications and VMs that support the entire university. ESXi is the primary hypervisor in use in our organization, and has been primary for over 10 years now. It allows us to provide computer and storage resources to our users and departments in an extremely efficient way with many functions that facilitate availability and uptime.
  • vMotion: the ability to move a VM from one place to another, even on disparate storage, works flawlessly and allows us to be agile and maintain performance.
  • PowerCli includes a robust set of PowerShell commands to be able to automate just about anything.
  • Integration with other products and vendors is sometimes complex.
  • Getting the right permissions configurations to allow certain actions is difficult.
VMware ESXi works well in large environments where lots of computing and storage resources need to be shared and constantly reallocated for virtual machines. There are full-featured versions that come at a high cost, but there are also versions that lack some features that may not be needed at a lower cost, and even a free version for small lab environments. If you just need one virtual machine to run periodically, you can use one of the more consumer-grade hypervisors like Workstation, Fusion, or just Virtual Box for free.
On several urgent issues, VMware support has been fast and effective at resolving problems impacting key production services. Their developers are always introducing new features and functionality and making ESXi more and more valuable to their customers. Upgrades have been fairly easy and straightforward, and compatibility with various hardware versions and ESXi versions has been effective.
Read Chris Saenz's full review
Branden Beachy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMware for almost all of our entire server infrastructure. The only servers we don't have virtualized are backup and video servers. It would be difficult to manage the number of physical servers it would take to server the school district at this point. It saves us a lot of time and money by keeping our physical server infrastructure small and easily manageable.
  • Hugely reduces our need for physical hardware. Our four hosts handle over 130 virtual servers without any problems.
  • It is stable. I have not had an ESXi server crash in years, nor do I really ever have to reboot them for problems. They just run smoothly.
  • The HTML5 web interface has taken a while to be brought to parity with the old thick client, and a few features are sometimes tricky to find.
If you have the proper hardware, and desire stability and support, then ESXi is about at the top of the list. It has a proven reputation, and you can't really be blamed for buying the best.

If your budget is low, and/or you might not have the latest hardware, some of the open source virtualization products might be a better fit.
We never really have a problem getting support - they have always responded in the time constraints for the level of service we are paying for. We occasionally get a representative who has an accent thick enough to cause some slight communication difficulties, but we are always able to get the help we need, one way or another.
Read Branden Beachy's full review
Ashley Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
vSphere ESXi is a hypervisor similar to HyperV or Xen, essentially a platform for running many virtual servers on one hardware server or cluster. Primarily it allows you to build out one hardware server on which you virtualize your application and/or role servers. It provides a layer of abstraction between the hardware itself and the application layer that gives you the ability to allocate and reallocate hardware resources and perform actions like cold reboots without having access to a power button or cable.
  • Easy to install.
  • Very powerful.
  • Very picky about what hardware it will install on.
  • Many features locked behind advanced licenses and/or additional products (like vCenter).
All in all, vSphere ESXi is almost always the best solution for virtualization. Hobbyists and homelabbers will appreciate the ability to learn core features at no cost. Small businesses will benefit from consolidating hardware into one server where their domain controller, SQL server, file server, etc. can all still run independently. Medium to large businesses will find a lot of security in scalability and clustering.
There's little negative to say about VMware support. Generally speaking, no working knowledge of ESXi is required when working with a support tech, they can handle resolving almost any request from start to finish as long as you have the ability to log into the web client.
Read Ashley Davis's full review
Karen Thompson | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware ESXi is used to host most servers at my site. It is the company standard for virtualization across my company, at least in North America. It allows us to save costs on hardware and licensing for hosting servers and workstations. We can test development, upgrades, and changes on copies of servers before having to do it on a production/live server. Since we can copy an actual server, we know exactly how it will respond to changes. This helps us save on trouble-shooting, save on server recovery, and so many other things.
  • VMware is not buggy. In IT we have to work around so many things for products to work the way we expect, or the way we want. I have not had to work around things with ESXi. It works as advertised.
  • Sever uptime. Even with hardware failures, and system bugs, VMware keeps our systems up. ESXi has been reliable. I never even think about the OS failing or having issues. That is one less thing to worry about.
  • Server deployment. We can deploy a new server in minutes. Some servers come preconfigured with OVF files where we just tell VMWare to set up a new server and point to the config file and tada there is a new server. We can create templates, where the OS and updates are already installed and we just create a new server from the template in minutes. I actually prefer creating one from scratch, and it only takes a few minutes to choose the hardware and start the OS installation. The longest part is installing the OS. It takes forever at my company to approve spending any money. With VMWare, I can set up new servers without any cost so there is no delay. When I want a server, I set it up. I don't have to wait over a month to design, get approval to order, wait for delivery, then set up the hardware, etc. It is fantastic, and such a time saver.
  • VMWare's Compatibility Guide on-line is excellent. It is very detailed and easy to discover if there will be any hardware issues. When adding or replacing hosts, this is a must-visit site. It has answered every question I've had without having to call support or talk to anyone to analyze if this hardware will match that one. It is a user-friendly site that gives you all the information you need. It has given me a starting point for buying new servers when my company changed its standard on server hardware. I would not have known where to start in configuring a new host, but this site told me what was compatible with what I had and it became an easy task.
  • The new interface for accessing the hosts directly doesn't work well with all browsers. We have restrictions at my company. We use Edge or IE. I had a lot of trouble uploading a file to the datastore because Edge and IE wouldn't play nice. The problem is probably mostly on MS's side, but it would be nice if it could work better with all browsers.
I think VMware ESXi would be well suited for any company that has more than a few servers. If you have two servers, you might as well virtualize them and make your hardware hosts in a VMware environment. It will keep your servers up and running if you have any hardware failures. If you backup your servers, you can quickly and easily restore them after any software crashes. You can test all updates and changes before actually deploying them. I have had to do major reconfiguration of servers, and was unsure of how the server software would respond. You can easily make a copy of a server, launch it and do all the testing you need. If something doesn't work, start over again until you find the solution. It does cost to have the licenses, but you can calculate the cost of downtime if you didn't have it to see if it is worth it for you. If you have a very small environment, it may not be cost-effective, but it will surely improve the time you spend in IT. It would be good to have an idea about how the environment works, but once you learn, support can help with any other issues you have.
VMware has great support. Most of the time when I call, it is an emergency. At the time, when I open a ticket and a technician has to call me back, I think it is just too long of a wait. In reality, it's not that bad. They have always been able to help me resolve my issues, even when it involves a third-party product like backups or the server OS. For me, support is a major factor when choosing a product. VMware support has been great for me, especially in the beginning when I didn't understand everything about the product.
Read Karen Thompson's full review
David Thornton, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it to consolidate our servers and infrastructure. It is being used across the company to better use assets. Ultimately, it is used to take anywhere from four or five systems and consolidate them to 1 host, or on the other extreme 60 plus systems combined down to one host.
  • It manages physical systems and resources.
  • It has a minimal footprint on hosts -- hundreds of megabytes, and very efficient code.
  • I have been using ESX since version 3.5 -- they have regular improvements, so while there has been "missing functionality," I have used it when it was very basic, and they keep adding features that have improved it.
It's suited to Data Centers that are short on space. You are able to consolidate systems anywhere from 5 to 100 to one host. It's also good for Data Centers purchasing new hardware that want to use the space most efficiently. The multi-core systems of today cannot be used effectively without a virtualization product, why waste your peoples time messing with a lower-tier "free" product that requires more management time and is harder on compatibility
It is less appropriate if a company has little money and wants to waste their employees' time -- you are trading VMware $$ to save employee time.
We had a case this week with our hosts and storage vendor -- with no prompting, the two began working behind the scenes on troubleshooting the root cause of the issue -- without our asking them to work together. That is rare; most of the time vendors point at the other vendor and say "good luck."
Read David Thornton, CISSP's full review
January 15, 2020
Kenny McGarrity | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware ESXi is being used by our IT department to deploy servers and services across our entire organization. The software such a game-changer, it's difficult to state how life-changing the software is. On the simple side of things, our IT Department is able to quickly spin up virtual machines at a moments notice. Additionally, ESXi allows us to add additional server resources at a moment's notice, rather than having to go through the cost and process of purchasing new hardware. ESXi allows us to take backup snapshots of servers in the blink of an eye, providing a safety net, unlike anything a physical server can typically do.
  • When combining Citrix with ESXi, we are able to create multiple Citrix servers from one master image.
  • Combined with Veeam, backing up and restoration of virtual machines running on ESXi is painless.
  • I would love to see the licensing cost come down.
I think every organization that has the need for on-premise servers should consider investing in ESXi. The initial cost for getting a proper ESXi environment set up with the servers, storage, and networking can be steep, so organizations that are on shoestring budgets may want to skip virtualization until they're ready for the necessary investments.
On the rare instance that I've had to call into VMware's support, they have gotten down to the bottom of the issue I was having. If you pick any random outsourced IT support department, chances are you will find an expert in VMware ESXi. There are tons of blogs and support sites on the internet that will help you out in case you run into an issue.
Read Kenny McGarrity's full review
Stefan Semo | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization makes extensive use of a datacenter and has virtualized hundreds of Windows servers on bare metal hardware. These servers work to process logins, provide access to our student information and registration data, hold and manage email, provide shared drives for file exchanges, websites for access by our schools and parents, etc.
  • Very efficient on bare hardware
  • Installs a very small hypervisor footprint
  • The web management interface utilizing HTML 5 is still not fully mature.
  • Could use the ability to clone a host configuration in case the bootable media fails.
VMware ESXi is an excellent product to get the most out of your bare metal hardware. Lots of server manufacturers provide pre-built install images that are optimized for their servers, so that one can take full advantage of the hardware features and interface with the built-in sensors. However, VMware ESXi is a costly product and for small organizations going the Microsoft Hyper-V route will be a big cost savings even tho it is not as robust and efficient.
VMware ESXi support is very responsive in my experience and very knowledgeable. They are willing to remotely access a management system and troubleshoot live, which saves a lot of time. They have great flow-through for cases and a great SLA for response times. Always received outstanding support, and the engineers are very familiar with the product. Finally, escalation to a higher level engineer is very easy and frustration free.
Read Stefan Semo's full review
Ben Moore | TrustRadius Reviewer
ESXi is utilized to host our entire server infrastructure, as well as our virtual desktop environment. It allows us to perform hardware maintenance and upgrades with zero downtime. We are also able to replicate our infrastructure to our secondary DR location without the need to have identical hardware available and maintain a very low RTO.
  • Server availability.
  • Hardware support.
  • Phone/technical support.
  • Licensing cost.
VMware ESXi is best suited for mid to large enterprises that require maximum uptime. The ability to migrate virtual workloads on-demand, and across different hardware types allows for this. With the high cost of entry, it wouldn't likely be a good fit for most small businesses or those that don't require a high level of uptime.
Over the past few years, this is one area where VMware has started to fall short. VMware used to have top-notch (fast response times, very knowledgeable engineers). Recently, response times have suffered greatly, and first-level support engineers seem to be simply searching and reading the same knowledge-base articles that are publicly available.
Read Ben Moore's full review
Kyle Reyes | TrustRadius Reviewer
At present we are utilizing VMware ESXi across the entire organization. We are utilizing this for our entire Production & Development Windows environment, as well as some Linux implementation. There are also various VM appliances in place via VMware ESXi service various functions within the organization. ESXi allows us a dynamic & "easy" way to manage our infrastructure environment.
  • Implementation of ESXi is extremely straightforward given the correct experience
  • The HA capabilities of ESXi are extremely hard to beat when compared to other Hypervisor options
  • As much as the upgrade path for newer versions of ESXi has improved, there is still room for improvement in the process
  • A better/easier way of handling some network features would be ideal
In any scenario, I've yet to find many reasons where ESXi is not best suited for what is being thrown at it. From small organizations with 2-5 virtual machines to the larger organizations of 1000+ virtual machines it scales extremely well and the features, options, etc. remain the same given correct licensing. The options for HA, again given proper licensing, work extremely well once implemented and have saved myself and others I work with many hours of additional work automatically migrating VMs once a host has failed.

Given the options with the licensing, there are times where something else may have to be reviewed to see if it makes more sense unfortunately to say. The licensing is the only place where ESXi does not scale very well
For any situation that has risen wherein I had the need to contact VMWare support, it has always been a great experience. The timeliness in replies, the level of the technicians knowledge, and the communication is without question some of the best in the business. This is by far one of the determining factors in continuing with ESXi, as well as a talking point when recommending to others.
Read Kyle Reyes's full review
January 13, 2020
Brian Munn | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have implemented VMware ESXi at our primary data center and all of our remote office locations. It is being used across our whole organization and provides a quick and easy way to provision servers as needed. VMware ESXi has consolidated our server footprint from racks of physical servers to only a few VMware ESXi hosts that can support hundreds of virtual servers. Servers can now be provisioned in a matter of minutes rather than days.
  • Quick and accessible to provision servers as needed. Templates can be configured in VMware ESXi.
  • VMware ESXi host software efficiently manages hardware resources so that a single-host server can support multiple virtual servers without causing resource contention.
  • Understanding Resource groups and resource reservations can be difficult and cause issues if not fully understood.
  • I would like to see better performance monitoring capabilities from the web GUI. The current options can be cumbersome, and many still need to be monitored from the command line.
I believe VMware ESXi is an excellent solution for all medium to enterprise-level companies. VMware ESXi does provide options for small business, but depending on features needed, this can be costly. VMware ESXi is the industry standard for virtualized data centers and continues to improve and innovate in the virtualized server space.
VMware ESXi is a reliable product and does not typically require a lot of support, but if you do VMware ESXi support team is very knowledgeable and quick to respond once a case is open. They will work with you from start to finish and provide detailed explanations of the issue and resolutions.
Read Brian Munn's full review
Dan Lepinski | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMware ESXi across our global organization. It's managed by our System Administrators and leveraged by our DevOps teams to help automate business processes. It gives us flexibility and stability for testing. We have multi-ESXi host clusters for high availability. VMware ESXi has allowed us to virtualize most of our physical server infrastructure which has allowed us to work remotely from our data centers. It removes the need to lifecycle 100's of physical servers in favor of a simple lifecycle of a few VMware ESXi hosts.
  • High availability. Clustered VMware ESXi hosts make it easy to take a host out of production.
  • Storage DRS helps balance virtual disks across the cluster.
  • The Flash and HTML5 web interfaces are missing simple sorting features for some lists.
  • Errors messages can be vague at times, which requires searching the community for answers.
VMware ESXi is well suited where you don't have the physical space needed for the number servers you require. If you have applications that require little to no downtime, VMware ESXi can help provide that when clustered with other hosts. VMware ESXi will allow you to snapshot servers prior to major upgrades and changes. This provides a relatively safe fallback option if the upgrade doesn't go well. You can also leverage this to quickly go back to a clean state when testing new software or code.
VMware ESXi is a large organization. You can expect to go through the typical support channels starting from the bottom and working your way up the chain. This can be frustrating at times if you have an annoying issue you'd like solved. However, if your environment is complete down, they can be relatively quick to respond and resolve the issue.
Read Dan Lepinski's full review
Andrew Shannon | TrustRadius Reviewer
Vmware ESXi is being used company-wide at our business. We decided to use it because we had limited space in our server room but need multiple servers for different purposes. So we virtualized the various servers on one piece of server hardware and were able to keep our hardware use low while getting the number of servers we needed.
  • Lets you run multiple virtual servers on one piece of server hardware.
  • Saves you money but minimizing the amount of server hardware you need to buy.
  • VMware ESXi can be hard to update to the newest versions.
  • Hardware compatibility with VMware ESXi can be confusing.
Vmware ESXi is useful when you have limited space in your server room but need multiple servers for different purposes. You can virtualize the various servers on one piece of server hardware and keep your hardware use low while getting the number of servers you need. It's also great when you want to keep your hardware costs low but requires multiple servers in your environment.
The user base for VMware ESXi is the biggest of all the virtualization platforms out there. So if you ever have an issue, you can always find someone else with your same problem in the forums on VMware's website and lots of solutions posted by other VMware ESXi users who have dealt with the same problems that you are dealing with. I have always been able to find an appropriate answer to my question on the VMware ESXi forums.
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Christopher Mills | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have been a VMware ESXi shop for well over a decade. We use it across the whole enterprise to run 99% of our environment. There are exceptions where we do run physical servers and/or appliances outside of our virtual environment. By using ESXi, we have been able to stretch the resource requirements for applications across fewer physical hardware points. We have also been able to leverage features and functions like High-Availability and Replication due to using ESXi. It has also made the administration of our environment much easier and centralized.
  • The ability to use a single server and run multiple virtual machines on it has allowed our enterprise to grow it's technology footprint while keeping cost low and administration functionality more simplified.
  • With features like High Availability in ESXi, we have been able to build out a resilient environment that, when issues occur at a hardware level, we can respond and be up and running more quickly than if a single application server failed.
  • ESXi seems to be written very well, and with years of experience behind them, they tend to be leaders and innovators also. With that, there are still areas that they fall short or could improve upon. One of those is the user interface. Having recently moved to a full HTML5 GUI, some of the interactions are not intuitive or lack in the way that the Flash GUI client would handle the request.
  • The Task area needs work. Being able to filter and configure what Task is running or completed should be more user-configurable. The lack of user control does make it hard when you are troubleshooting.
I believe that ESXi is well suited for any and all scenarios. Except those where cost is a major factor. ESXi is not cheap, and with most companies that have a Microsoft EA for Windows Server that also grants them Hyper-V, sometimes the cost isn't justifiable. With that said, ESXi has functions and features that most enterprises need to stay resilient and function at a high level. Where critical services are needed, ESXi is tried and true and can handle everything you throw at it. Even for smaller IT shops, ESXi will provide flexibility and performance that will allow the organization to focus on more important areas, like their customers.
We have had nothing but great experiences with VMware support when it comes to ESXi. They have been quick to respond, knowledgeable about the issues we have been presented with, and also have been able to find solutions to other vendors' issues before the actual vendor. We have used support to help with projects to make sure we are doing the process correctly, and also that it is the right thing to do.
Read Christopher Mills's full review
January 09, 2020
Eric Wyman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use ESXi to run administrative virtual appliances that are not currently supported by our primary hyper-converged hypervisor. This setup includes three virtual appliances, vCenter to manage two host machines located in two physical locations. The second host is a replication target for the primary host to assure business continuity in a disaster recovery event.
  • ESXi is probably more diverse in the operating systems it supports than other offerings.
  • ESXi has a wide range of third party integrations to focus in on your businesses needs.
  • ESXi is very rigid in its manageability.
  • The management interface is not as simplistic as it could be.
ESXi is well suited for small shops requiring three or fewer hosts, that have a capable and knowledgeable IT department with tight budgets, and minimal technology requirements. It is also suited for very large enterprise entities with large budgets and capable IT staff. Medium-sized businesses that require more than an Essentials Plus license (supports up to three hosts) should consider other available options before deciding to go with ESXi as the licensing costs beyond Essentials Plus are quite extensive.
With the exception of language barrier challenges, ESXi support is fantastic. The techs are extremely knowledgeable and courteous, to the point and can address most issues very quickly once you get them on the line. It is a bit of a challenge to get support initially. Waiting to get help when your environment is crippled or non-operational can be fairly stressful.
Read Eric Wyman's full review
January 09, 2020
Rodney Barnhardt | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware ESXi is the product that hosts the majority of our virtual server environment. There are several environments set up at several different locations. Managing the environments is easy through the use of vCenter. Having the ability to quickly adjust the needed resources of each virtual machine, provides us the ability to address performance problems as they arise. It does not matter if the system needs an increase in memory, CPU, or disk space, the changes or new resources can be added in a matter of minutes.
  • Allows quick and easy cloning and customization of new systems.
  • Provides the ability to move or transfer virtual machines between environments.
  • Upgrades could be made easier or more automated.
  • Prefer a thick client back. The web one still seems buggy at times.
Having used or worked with the major hypervisors, my preference is still VMware ESXi over the other products. One of the key features it has that make the management of virtual machine so easy is the ability to right-click on a system to perform numerous tasks on it. Also, the ability to structure the environment all in one view, not only simplifies moving around between environments, but providing role-based access control as needed is very beneficial from a security standpoint.
While customer support is good, there can be a longer wait time to get a response from support than I like. This does seem to be improving over the past year or so. I have not had to contact support in the last 6 months, so it may be even better now. However, in the past, it may be a day or more before I would get contacted. Even then, they may email or call after I had left the office. O one ticket I made a note that if I did not answer my desk, call my mobile number. However, they just left a message on my desk VM and never tried my mobile number.
Read Rodney Barnhardt's full review
December 30, 2019
Shawn Karr | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been administering VMware ESXi since version 2.0. It has evolved over the years to be a very robust hypervisor that in my opinion is the best on the market. Our company is running VMware both in production and in the test. We have 150-200 virtual machines. ESXi helps our IT department to easily spin up servers and meet the demands of the company as well as its executives. Without VMware, we would not be as efficient and quite honestly may even fail on the delivery of projects.
  • Boot Times are quick.
  • Adjusting compute resources is easy.
  • Hot Add of compute (RAM and CPU).
  • Easier setup of distributed switches.
I think ESXi is an invaluable tool no matter the industry that a company is in. It is a great tool to allow for the easy creation of servers for development purposes. It also has the ability to use snapshots when changes are being made to a server in the event of failure or misstep. The one drawback to ESXi is that it is expensive and may not be suited to smaller sized companies. While it offers a free version, that version cannot be centrally managed.
I have always had a great experience when using VMware Tech support. Sometimes it does take escalating the issue, but they typically always provide a resolution.
Read Shawn Karr's full review
December 03, 2019
Michael Ward | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware ESXi is the hypervisor OS of choice for our organization. We use it to host virtualized servers and appliances and improve the efficiency of the consumption of our hardware. By virtualizing your environment you are able to get the most out of your investment in physical compute resources. VMWare can be run from as small as a single host all they way up to a multi-site cloud configuration. It is a fit for any size environment and various IT budgets.
  • Stability and maturity are key. VMware has been around for a long long time and continue to be a market leader by far.
  • The biggest differentiation versus competitors products are the performance and scalability of the VMFS file system as well as the vast library of integrated offerings in the marketplace.
  • They continue to improve on moving from Flash to HTML 5 based management.
  • I'd like to see more flexibility in how multi-site VCSA redundancy can be deployed.
  • I'd like to see some of the automation and orchestration tools become more affordable for the small to mid-sized business market. vRA/vRO/vCloud..
VMware is suited for just about any kind of server virtualization nowadays. The only scenario where I am not fully comfortable virtualizing at this point is for HPC environments that have strict NUMA or CPU allocation requirements. And even that scenario is being addressed by VMware and is technically supported today. The product is mature and able to run just about any kind of workload assuming the OS you are running supports being virtualized.
Support is excellent and they have very knowledgable staff onboard.
Read Michael Ward's full review
November 08, 2019
Esteban Rey | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a Cloud Service Provider for us it's fundamental to have a reliable tool to provide our services, in this case, ESXi is the most significant tool cause it allows us to handle the very large and complex multi-tenant environment.

A hypervisor has a very small footprint and runs perfectly from hard drives, SAN, SSD or BOSS cards.

The VMware support for this is great.
  • Security
  • Relaiable
  • Small footprint
  • Cost
  • Need to buy other VMware software to get the full power.
For complex, production and high availability environments ESXi is great, especially with large and heterogeneous loads the behavior is outstanding.

In the other part for testing, development even training is complex, sophisticated and too much, don't forget that the price is significantly high, so I don't recommend using it for this purpose.
VMware’s ESXi support is the best of all of its products, they have a lot of experience and well documented, they have support staff at any language at your time frame, when the use the follow the sun they lose all of his power, they only speak English and the experiences is less.
Read Esteban Rey's full review
November 05, 2019
Ivan Sytchev | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our entire environment is running on ESXi, including a DR site. Having all the servers be virtual allows for flexibility in resource allocation and overall ease of management. This also reduces maintenance downtime, as VMs can be migrated using vMotion without any downtime. Because everything is virtual, DR scenarios are also very easy to perform.
  • Resource management.
  • It's simple, yet offers loads of advanced features and settings if there is a need.
  • vCenter is great to manage multiple ESXi hosts.
  • GPU accelerated graphics are not the easiest to set up.
  • The UI is a bit on the slow side even with the new HTML5 client.
  • Licencing can get very expensive if you're using multi-processor servers and vCenter.
ESXi has been on the market for a long time, and thus has an advantage over its competitors. Even though as of late others have greatly improved their virtualization technologies, VMware is still ahead of others. ESXi is well suited for any size organization, as it can scale very easily and there are lots of compatibility options to make everything work regardless of platform.
The support is generally great. However, their engineers are very specialized, so if the issue requires involvement from multiple teams, the case might end up being passed along from team to team without faster resolution. An example of this would be if support is engaged with the ESXi team, but the issue is determined to be network related, they will engage the networking team who will start troubleshooting from scratch. But if the issue resides in a single department, then their knowledgeable engineers usually resolve it rather quickly. Overall, ESXi has one of the better support programs than other IT vendors.
Read Ivan Sytchev's full review

Virtual machine automated provisioning (84)
Management console (94)
Live virtual machine backup (81)
Live virtual machine migration (86)
9.5
Hypervisor-level security (83)

What is VMware ESXi?

VMware ESXi is a popular hypervisor, from VMware.