Overall Satisfaction with Veeam Backup for AWS
The data center of my client was already using Veeam solution for their internal VMware workload. So going to Veeam backup was an easy solution to take advantage of the already trained IT staff and add a new solution to backup my VMware on AWS workload as well as the native AWS workload (EC2). So we were able to keep the same rules from one workload to the other. So Veeam did help us to keep consistency inside our backup strategy
- We did use the auto-tiering solution to save some cost with S3 Glacier and S3 Glacier deep Archive
- We were able to backup without agent some RDS instances, EC2 and VMware on AWS with the same toolset
- cost estimation with veeam calculator was pretty accurate
- some AWS services are not included actually with Veeam backup on AWS, like AWS Workspace
- You may need to upgrade to Veeam backup and replication if you want to have replication futures
- Because Veeam backup on AWS is an EC2 instance you will need to manage the security of this EC2, and there is a cost of running an EC2 (0.046$/hr)
- auto tiering on S3 helps a lot to save some storage cost associated with backup on S3
- running an EC2 instance for Veeam is not the most optimized way of doing cloud, a Paas or SaaS approach may be more optimal in savings
- using the same tool to backup all data is great, but be careful if you need to restore a large set of data outside AWS, they will be some cost due to AWS outbound network cost.
We did some Disaster recovery tests and also some restoration during the last few months. The first point all recovery was very fast and we were able to keep some RTO very low. Second, we were able to automate some steps for our disaster recovery (we have cloud formation for the other steps). The last point is auto-tiering of data, we were able to manage automatic backup from one S3 tier to the other and make some great savings. So I can tell we did get a unified managed backup solution with this product.
it is a 9, not a 10 because some SaaS solutions inside AWS like amazon connect are not supported. We also need to manage an EC2 instance for Veeam and a proxy VM for Vmware on AWS. But we did get a unified Backup as A Service solution, supporting all my cloud providers.
I have make a lot of research on this kind of product, and I will put Veeam inside my top 3 backup solutions. They are easy to use and set up. you can manage many clouds, on-premise, and SaaS solutions inside the same solution either. And because the IT team did already have some Veeam competency we decide to keep the same toolbox.
Do you think Veeam Backup for AWS delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Veeam Backup for AWS's feature set?
Did Veeam Backup for AWS live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Veeam Backup for AWS go as expected?
Would you buy Veeam Backup for AWS again?
When you look for a robust solution Baas who can run on-premise, with azure, O365, AWS, Google, VMware on AWS, only a few players on the market are here. With Veeam you can keep a standard approach for all your backup. Keeping backups simple is unsure of your success for your data protection. Veeam is offering also Data archiving so you will save a lot with this option.