Reviews (1-23 of 23)
- Cohesity is a well packaged all in one backup solution.
- Being able to back up to another Cohesity cluster and/or to the cloud for redundancy is nice.
- Being able to use storage not being used by backups for simple file shares is an added bonus.
- Setting up protection jobs can use a little work.
- Updating can be a little tedious as you have to go to a web page to pull the latest update instead of being able to update from within the UI.
- The user interface is very easy to learn and operate
- Deployment of the platform takes about an hour from unboxing, racking, to setting up your first backup jobs.
- Tech support is very responsive and follows through
- The physical device agent is a bit quirky but has come a long way and improvements are being made all the time
- Backups of virtual machines with VMware products.
- Scale-out storage, no more issues with running out of disk space with your backups.
- Multi-tenant possibilities that help us solve the issue of letting clients be in control of their own backups as a managed service provider.
- Further adopting managed service providers.
- Data protection has been rock solid.
- Support and customer service is responsive and knowledgeable as well as courteous.
- Secondary storage (SMB/NFS) work as advertised and save us money.
- The web UI still needs a little refining especially around the wording in alerts and messages to users.
- International sales resources in APAC.
Less appropriate would be backing up really old legacy apps that need specialized plugins or agents. i.e. Lotus Nnotes or something like that.
- Easy to set up in just a few hours.
- Upgrades are done online, you can still do backups and restore when the cluster is upgrading.
- Restores are really easy to perform and fast.
- No support for Windows clustering but this should be released in a few weeks or months.
- No Windows BMR without third-party add-ons.
- User interface
- Easy of implementation
- Ability to scale, "pay as you grow"
- The architecture could be better designed so you can put more nodes in a cluster
- Some of the initial purchased equipment is already close to end of life
- You can't mix and match generations of Cohesity equipment in the same enclosure
- Low management overhead
- Smooth and consistent backups
- Being able to look at a dashboard and see all relevant information
- Upgrades are painless and can be done even during a backup window
- KB is limited.
- Support for 3rd party SANS is also pretty small
- Cohesity will save us money, time, and manpower.
- We will have quick redundancy to AWS for our Cohesity node.
- This tool is very straightforward and clean. The menus are not over complicated or cluttered.
- Cohesity is working on this, however, I would like to see a more expanded KB section.
- Cohesity provides a very intuitive user interface. I was able to provide restore training to our other admins in ten minutes.
- Indexed file search makes it extremely easy to find all snapshots of that contain a file even if the end user does not have an exact file name.
- It is extremely easy to set up and monitor backup jobs. We also easily set up alerts to email us in event of an issue
- Cohesity’s latest version includes an all cluster dashboard that gives you the ability to see the health of all nodes easily. I hope they continue to expand this capability.
- There is the capability to schedule email reports. It would be great if they could be the to send only for failures.
- Easy to use and setup new backup and restore jobs.
- Extremely fast recovery time, can spin a VMware backup VM up in well under a minute.
- Granular recovery search options, easy to find specific files or systems to recover (or SQL DB).
- Integration with Exchange works but requires using 3rd party software (Kroll Ontrack).
- Would be nice to have exchange message level recovery built right into the Cohesity interface.
- Cohesity is great at finding files for day to day restore operations. It's like a "Google search tool".
- Cohesity is great at cloning a VM into a test environment. The whole process only takes a couple min.
- Cohesity is great at making it clear which servers are a which servers are not getting backed up.
- Cohesity's Auto protect feature is great. Your servers get backed up as they are created.
- I would like to see Cohesity have the ability to do a file level restore from a server using a dynamic disk.
- Cohesity needs a way to backup SQL databases without an agent.
- Cohesity cannot run a backup of a single VM.
Cohesity takes care of all our backups and restores.
- Backups are easy to create, edit and troubleshoot.
- Document recovery is amazingly quick with a variety of ways to do the restore. It takes less than 3 minutes to restore a deleted document to document management system.
- Replication is also a big ticket item for us as we can replicate all our backups down to our Phoenix cluster. It all can be done overnight so there are no interruptions during the day.
- Confirmation when doing restores wouldn't hurt at all. It would help prevent my own misclicks!
- We are hoping for a future option of ISCSI attached drives.
- A way to cancel restores in the case of restoring the wrong item or too many items.
- SQL Backup & Restore
- Test & Dev Clones
- Deduplication & Compression
- BMR backups would be better if the client did it natively instead of Cristi integration
- Some items in the dashboard should be hotlinked
- Pulling backups of files, VMs, and other services couldn't be simpler. Very intuitive and customizable!
- We are using profile redirection and Cohesity handles this well, glad to make use of efficient network storage!
- Dedup & compression have time, energy, resources, and lower overall costs while raising quality of service!
- Could be simpler to do Test & Dev
- Looking forward to a mobile application
- Analytics are nice, could be more straight forward
- Cohesity integrates very well with VMWare. This integration enables us to protect and recover thousands of virtual machines seamlessly.
- Cohesity allows you to connect to a Cloud storage external target for archiving snapshots to the Cloud for offsite data protection. This allows us to not need to purchase a second Cohesity unit and replicate data to it for offsite backups.
- Cohesity support is top notch! Their support system is designed to get you the answers you need in as little time as possible. I usually get an answer to my problem in less time than most other vendors respond to my question.
- Cohesity needs to add a page in their web GUI that will show all currently running and queued Archive tasks. Currently, you would need to click through each Protection job to see what is running or queued.
- The Windows physical agent needs to add the ability to skip directories or files. Currently, with a Windows agent, you backup an entire drive or skip an entire drive.
Where Cohesity would have trouble is in a case where you have Cohesity bound to your Active Directory, protect Windows servers that are not bound to the same Active Directory, and then attempt to perform file-level recoveries. Cohesity will attempt to SMB mount to the Windows server, and since the domain is different, it will fail to mount. This is currently not supported by Cohesity.
- The user interface is extremely simple and easy to use.
- Backup and restores are intuitive and just work.
- Easy -Replication.
- Easy - Cloud replication.
- Easy - Encryption in flight and at rest.
- File-based restores (directly back to the server) require that UAC is turned off.
- Needs more customized reporting capability.
- I would love to be able to create reports that are emailed regularly.
- Backup and Restore. Cut our help-desks time to less then 5 minutes from 45 minutes+.
- Integration with VMware to provide true agent-less backups. (No more updating the client side backup program).
- The ability to replicate to other Cohesity boxes or to a NAS has made me sleep better at night, knowing that my data is safe.
- Requiring 10GB network interface is a pain.... mostly because you have to purchase additional hardware if you don't have extra ports available.
- Having to use Safari on a Mac to set up boxes from factory.
- Updating firmware from the factory takes a lot of time.
The IT team could now provide a single solution for all 13 departments to consolidate their backups on one platform, and scale-out as required. Setup and ongoing management dramatically simplified with Cohesity, and the users could now see their backup and recovery jobs, external sources, monitoring and alerting, all in one place.
- Simplified backup solution with data replication in the Cloud
- Performance and CJIS compliance for use with police car/body cam video capture and storage
- Predictable pricing that did not limit future expansion
- Simplified multi-tenant setup
We later expanded our use to include VM backups and expanded it into other business units.
We also use it to spin up test virtual machines based on existing images that we can easily test out ideas on complicated VMs. It's provided more features than we originally needed and has met business needs we didn't realize we needed.
- Cheap secondary storage. For us, we were able to get storage at almost half what a typical storage array was quoted at for the same space.
- Off-site replication. Extremely easy to setup and use.
- VM backups and restores. Simple, yet powerful interface that allows limitless options to how and where backups are stored and protected.
- Support from Cohesity is far above the bar set by major hardware vendors. They will solve your issue, even if it turns out an issue you have isn't their product. Clearly, their support is motivated to make you as a customer value their assistance and feel confident with their products
- Very small physical footprint for the amount of storage provided.
- Extremely resilient hardware capable of running fully even with bad nodes or disks.
- There could be better documentation on designing custom workbench applications to work with Cohesity (workbench apps allow you to search and process reports from the data saved to the device).
Cohesity is not well suited to be used as a primary storage device.
- It is easy to implement. Only a few hours from Unboxing till first Backups
- The overall Deduplication is great.
- The global "Google-like" search for Files and Folders
- The speed for Backup and Restore
- Replication to another Datacenter
- The HTML5 UI is easy to use
- Its Scalable
- Pay as you grow.
- No "per Socket" Licence. Only the Space on the Box is the Limit.
- They want to have a lot of Feedback from the Customers to get new Features in
- It's a new Company but that is not really a contra because they are working to get more Features in
- Bare Metal Restore for Linux Systems
Mainly it solves our problems with backup and restore window, but we are getting more and more into using it as a helpful tool in test and development with its built-in test/dev feature.
- Simplicity in everything from the installation of the box to the GUI and setting up policies and jobs.
- Scalability and the option to buy as you need and grow on your "own" terms.
- User feedback focus in development of the product.
- World class support and technical expertise when talking to support.
- The ability to be used as more than just a backup solution, this is also a secondary storage, test/dev and analytics.
- Still a young company and they are working out the minor flaws in at an impressive speed.
- The simplicity of the solution and the support behind implementation, training, and continued support.
- The implementation and training are all done through the sales engineer, which provides for a seamless and great experience when it comes to starting with a new vendor.
- How fast the solution works. When it comes to implementation (which is done in an hour or so) to backups, to actual recoveries, everything is just quick.
- The one drawback of this quick innovation is that their units were shipped with outdated firmware, but this was quickly remedied, and they have made operational changes to reduce the likelihood of sending outdated firmware again.
Cohesity Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Cohesity DataProtect is a comprehensive data backup and recovery software
product from Cohesity, an enterprise software company based in San Jose,
California, focused on eliminating mass data fragmentation and consolidating
DataProtect utilizes Cohesity’s DataPlatform service which is designed to consolidate secondary storage and associated workflows, to provide users with end-to-end protection for virtual and physical workloads, databases, applications, and storage with a single web-scale solution.
● Hyperconverged data protection eliminates need for separate backup software, target storage, proxy and media servers, and cloud gateways
● Unified user interface for managing and provisioning data protect services, connected via core to cloud and edge
● Policy-based automation; users can assign policies to one or all jobs globally to automate operations and meet business SLA requirements
Cohesity Technical Details