Reviews (1-25 of 31)
Issues have been dealt with promptly or put on the roadmap for a future release. Backup and restore became as easy as they're supposed to be.
- The various ways to quickly reover data. Cloning and instant volume mounts (Exchange restores) have been great options.
- Ability to use it as secondary storage for VMDK's that don't need to be on Tier 1.
- Using it as a NAS device.
- Ability to backup Isilon!
- Mainly cosmetic stuff that is currently being addressed.
- Expiration times for clones.
- Make adding items to be backuped easy.
- The search feature for file restore is quick.
- The restore process is quick.
- Improvement in the accuracy of their documentation
- Remove the amount of times you need to log in to view support info
- Backing up all of our NAS shares.
- Backing up all of our SQL data.
- Backing up all of our VMs.
- Support team is lacking in response times.
- Account team doesn't step in until or offer assistance until customer gets frustrated.
If you want to take the "snapshots" at the storage level instead of VMware, it is only compatible with Hyperflex and Pure Storage.
For either ourselves or our customers it helps in the business continuity and disaster recovery. We can restore files/folders/VM's very quickly when needed.
- Easy to learn
- Folder/File Restores
- In the first few years the software parts could use some improvement, it is getting better with every update though.
- The layout of how to implement Cohesity needs to be thought of before hand. Changing it after implementation is time consuming.
- It is very well suited for back-up on a large scale. Also scaling and growing the Cohesity cluster with time is very easy.
- It is not as fully developed yet as Veeam as an allround backup solution but it's getting there.
- Backups of virtual machines with VMware products.
- Scale-out storage, no more issues with running out of disk space with your backups.
- Multi-tenant possibilities that help us solve the issue of letting clients be in control of their own backups as a managed service provider.
- Further adopting managed service providers.
We currently mainly use it to back up our VMWare virtual desktop and server environment. We are also archiving our Microsoft Exchange email environment to the Cohesity cluster. It could also be a potential solution in the future for file server archiving.
- Easy setup of backup policies within the UI
- Creation of backup jobs is very straightforward with all necessary options but without being overloaded
- Grouping of backups to backup groups makes admins live much easier
- Restore of files and VMs is very easy
- The support of Cohesity is very good.
- Cohesity is very good at marketing and has a strong brand.
- Cohesity has a great insightful, easy-to-learn product.
- Some security features could be implemented better.
- Cohesity is a well packaged all in one backup solution.
- Being able to back up to another Cohesity cluster and/or to the cloud for redundancy is nice.
- Being able to use storage not being used by backups for simple file shares is an added bonus.
- Setting up protection jobs can use a little work.
- Updating can be a little tedious as you have to go to a web page to pull the latest update instead of being able to update from within the UI.
- The user interface is very easy to learn and operate
- Deployment of the platform takes about an hour from unboxing, racking, to setting up your first backup jobs.
- Tech support is very responsive and follows through
- The physical device agent is a bit quirky but has come a long way and improvements are being made all the time
- User interface
- Easy of implementation
- Ability to scale, "pay as you grow"
- The architecture could be better designed so you can put more nodes in a cluster
- Some of the initial purchased equipment is already close to end of life
- You can't mix and match generations of Cohesity equipment in the same enclosure
- Data protection has been rock solid.
- Support and customer service is responsive and knowledgeable as well as courteous.
- Secondary storage (SMB/NFS) work as advertised and save us money.
- The web UI still needs a little refining especially around the wording in alerts and messages to users.
- International sales resources in APAC.
Less appropriate would be backing up really old legacy apps that need specialized plugins or agents. i.e. Lotus Nnotes or something like that.
- Easy to set up in just a few hours.
- Upgrades are done online, you can still do backups and restore when the cluster is upgrading.
- Restores are really easy to perform and fast.
- No support for Windows clustering but this should be released in a few weeks or months.
- No Windows BMR without third-party add-ons.
- Easy to use and setup new backup and restore jobs.
- Extremely fast recovery time, can spin a VMware backup VM up in well under a minute.
- Granular recovery search options, easy to find specific files or systems to recover (or SQL DB).
- Integration with Exchange works but requires using 3rd party software (Kroll Ontrack).
- Would be nice to have exchange message level recovery built right into the Cohesity interface.
- Low management overhead
- Smooth and consistent backups
- Being able to look at a dashboard and see all relevant information
- Upgrades are painless and can be done even during a backup window
- KB is limited.
- Support for 3rd party SANS is also pretty small
- Cohesity will save us money, time, and manpower.
- We will have quick redundancy to AWS for our Cohesity node.
- This tool is very straightforward and clean. The menus are not over complicated or cluttered.
- Cohesity is working on this, however, I would like to see a more expanded KB section.
- Cohesity provides a very intuitive user interface. I was able to provide restore training to our other admins in ten minutes.
- Indexed file search makes it extremely easy to find all snapshots of that contain a file even if the end user does not have an exact file name.
- It is extremely easy to set up and monitor backup jobs. We also easily set up alerts to email us in event of an issue
- Cohesity’s latest version includes an all cluster dashboard that gives you the ability to see the health of all nodes easily. I hope they continue to expand this capability.
- There is the capability to schedule email reports. It would be great if they could be the to send only for failures.
- Cohesity is great at finding files for day to day restore operations. It's like a "Google search tool".
- Cohesity is great at cloning a VM into a test environment. The whole process only takes a couple min.
- Cohesity is great at making it clear which servers are a which servers are not getting backed up.
- Cohesity's Auto protect feature is great. Your servers get backed up as they are created.
- I would like to see Cohesity have the ability to do a file level restore from a server using a dynamic disk.
- Cohesity needs a way to backup SQL databases without an agent.
- Cohesity cannot run a backup of a single VM.
Cohesity takes care of all our backups and restores.
- Backups are easy to create, edit and troubleshoot.
- Document recovery is amazingly quick with a variety of ways to do the restore. It takes less than 3 minutes to restore a deleted document to document management system.
- Replication is also a big ticket item for us as we can replicate all our backups down to our Phoenix cluster. It all can be done overnight so there are no interruptions during the day.
- Confirmation when doing restores wouldn't hurt at all. It would help prevent my own misclicks!
- We are hoping for a future option of ISCSI attached drives.
- A way to cancel restores in the case of restoring the wrong item or too many items.
- SQL Backup & Restore
- Test & Dev Clones
- Deduplication & Compression
- BMR backups would be better if the client did it natively instead of Cristi integration
- Some items in the dashboard should be hotlinked
- Pulling backups of files, VMs, and other services couldn't be simpler. Very intuitive and customizable!
- We are using profile redirection and Cohesity handles this well, glad to make use of efficient network storage!
- Dedup & compression have time, energy, resources, and lower overall costs while raising quality of service!
- Could be simpler to do Test & Dev
- Looking forward to a mobile application
- Analytics are nice, could be more straight forward
- The user interface is extremely simple and easy to use.
- Backup and restores are intuitive and just work.
- Easy -Replication.
- Easy - Cloud replication.
- Easy - Encryption in flight and at rest.
- File-based restores (directly back to the server) require that UAC is turned off.
- Needs more customized reporting capability.
- I would love to be able to create reports that are emailed regularly.
- Backup and Restore. Cut our help-desks time to less then 5 minutes from 45 minutes+.
- Integration with VMware to provide true agent-less backups. (No more updating the client side backup program).
- The ability to replicate to other Cohesity boxes or to a NAS has made me sleep better at night, knowing that my data is safe.
- Requiring 10GB network interface is a pain.... mostly because you have to purchase additional hardware if you don't have extra ports available.
- Having to use Safari on a Mac to set up boxes from factory.
- Updating firmware from the factory takes a lot of time.
Cohesity Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Cohesity DataProtect is a comprehensive data backup and recovery software
product from Cohesity, an enterprise software company based in San Jose,
California, focused on eliminating mass data fragmentation and consolidating
DataProtect utilizes Cohesity’s DataPlatform service which is designed to consolidate secondary storage and associated workflows, to provide users with end-to-end protection for virtual and physical workloads, databases, applications, and storage with a single web-scale solution.
● Hyperconverged data protection eliminates need for separate backup software, target storage, proxy and media servers, and cloud gateways
● Unified user interface for managing and provisioning data protect services, connected via core to cloud and edge
● Policy-based automation; users can assign policies to one or all jobs globally to automate operations and meet business SLA requirements
Cohesity Technical Details