Fast with some limitationshttps://www.trustradius.com/data-warehouseVerticaUnspecified8.3211012016-12-14T16:08:30.620Z
Updated December 29, 2016
Fast with some limitations
Score 7 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Vertica
We use Vertica as an analytics database for reporting, ad-hoc queries, regular reporting and more in-depth analyses. It is primarily used for querying by the analytics org and indirectly, through Looker, by the entire company. Vertica is most helpful because of its speed. Ad-hoc queries and analyses can be completed relatively quickly.
- Speed. Even with tables with 20 Billion+ rows, Vertica performs reasonably well.
- Analytical functions. Some of the advanced functions in Vertica enable/facilitate interesting and complex analyses.
- Reliability. We never run into reliability issues with Vertica.
- Pricing: Vertica can get pretty expensive with large data sizes.
- Speed: Queries could always be faster!
- Limited options for querying clients: We primarily use Vertica from our terminals. Options for GUI clients are ugly and outdated. Using the terminal for querying is sometimes annoying, with problems like showing query runtime only in milliseconds and not being able to change it, columns being hard to read when there are more columns than the display space etc.
- The ROI on fast, interactive querying is very high.
- Table size limitations force us to use other tools, slowing things down.
- Relatively expensive pricing forces us to regularly upgrade our Vertica subscription and database. Each upgrade leads to a downtime of a few days.