Likelihood to Recommend
Ableton Live is a perfect fit for loop-based music like electronic music of all varieties. It is especially suited to minimal techno and IDM, but is really suitable for any style of music that relies extensively on loops and samples. Ableton Live is also well-suited for sequencing out loop-based music through its Live view, while the Composer view allows for enough arranging features that you can take a song from concept to completion fairly easily.Ableton Live is less well-suited for fully recorded music that has no sample-based or looping components. It is less well-suited for non-electronic genres, although it is perfectly fine, but many of the features would not be useful or necessary in these cases.
For just a quick down and dirty audio recording from computer source, Audacity is a no-frills solution that any user can get up and running with quickly without the intimidating functions seen in most standard DAWs. This would be a great tool to start with to record church services, or basic live performances where someone wouldn't want to use a full DAW like Ableton Live or Studio One.
- Session View: This is the biggest advantage of Ableton. It provides you this view in which you can create different tracks for the same part of the song. For example:- If you are making the chorus of the song, you can save one thread. Now if you want to try and listen to a different drum set in a new thread, you can simply do that and listen to the new track while preserving the older one. Once you are satisfied with what you're listening, simple record the same in arrangement view and you are done. You can switch to the arrangement view and listen to the final song.
- Pre-installed instruments and loops:- Ableton's library which is included with the software itself while you purchase it is amazing. I bet you will ever need third-party plugins for it. It comes loaded with hundreds of loops and number of instruments which are completely professional and free to use.
- Amazing Graphical User Interface:- Even if you're a beginner in this field, Ableton can be learned within a few hours. The basic functionality of this software is very easy to understand and use. Of course, advanced stuff comes with practice but the basic functioning can be learned and within a few hours you are producing your own music.
- Audacity has a wide variety of controls and capabilities for editing, making it a very robust tool for audio editing.
- Even though it's a robust tool, it is very easy to use to get many basic things done in audio editing. The learning curve is small.
- Love that audacity is free! What else could you ask for? There really is no reason not to use it.
- Themes - Colourful themes can be introduced. Since DAWs are those toolsets which people tend to stare at for long hours. If colorful themes are introduced, this tool will become even more intuitive.
- Cannot work well on legacy/ low configuration systems. This tool needs good systems which can support heavy lifting, therefore, do consider your base systems before starting to use this tool.
Engineer in Information TechnologyComputer Software Company, 5001-10,000 employees
- The user interface theme has only two options, light and dark. It would be better if it was more customizable.
- Sometimes there is a lag or break when opening the software.
- There is no option to listen to the audio live with effects while you are recording.
Ableton Live 9.5
Based on 5 answers
I haven't had to reach out to support yet, but they're great at keeping me abreast with updates, compatibility issues, new features, and tons of videos on how to use the software. I feel like they're helping me success by giving me tools I can use in my daily work.
Based on 17 answers
We have not used direct support for Audacity, other than using the information available on their website, which resolved the issues we were experiencing so we had a good experience in that regard.As this is Open Source FREE software, I don't believe there is direct support available. In saying that, it has the following great support options:
- Online documentation and FAQ
- Online tutorials covering all functions
- Online user forums where questions are asked and answered by other users
- Online wiki with more information
Manager in Information TechnologyComputer Hardware Company, 11-50 employees
Ableton smokes the competition any day. I believe it is a way better program all around than the rest of the industry leaders. I have used FL Studio as well as GarageBand, and I can safely say that there is no other program that I would rather use for my production needs.
All of the DAW's listed above are great for scoring to picture, which is something Audacity doesn't do. But it's an excellent standalone audio editor, which is a vital tool in any studio. It's very easy to transfer the clip, make the changes, and import it back into your session.
Return on Investment
- Ableton Live allows me to rapidly sequence multitrack music as needed, without getting stuck at any step of the process.
- Ableton Live also allows me to quickly export or upload to SoundCloud for easy sharing. This is a big time-saver.
- The only negative ROI I can think of is the cost. There are competitors like Reaper that are much more affordable and have many of the same features.
- I was able to make loops of my music to sell on royalty-free music sites years before I had my Mac Pro.
- Able to quickly edit music and other audio tracks on a PC without having to purchase a separate program, allowing us to upload more creative videos without having to spend extra money.
Account Manager in OtherE-Learning Company, 1-10 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Ableton Live Editions & Modules
|Live 10 Intro||$79|
|Live 10 Standard||$359|
|Live 10 Suite||$599|
|Live 11 Intro||$99|
|Live 11 Standard||$449|
|Live 11 Suite||$749|
|Live 10 Intro - Push||$799|
|Live 10 Standard - Push||$1,078|
|Live 10 Suite - Push||$1,278|
|Live 10 Standard - Students & Teachers||$269|
|Live 10 Suite - Students & Teachers||$449|
|Push + Live 10 Standard - Students & Teachers||$1,068|
|Push + Live 10 Suite - Students & Teachers||$1,248|
|Max for Live||$159|
|Max for Live - Crossgrade||$79|
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Audacity Editions & Modules