Skip to main content
GarageBand

GarageBand

What is GarageBand?

Apple offers GarageBand, a digital audio workstation packaged with its operating system.

TrustRadius Insights

GarageBand has become the go-to software for users looking to conveniently record vocals and instruments at home. Its user-friendly …

Logic Pro (GarageBand Premium)

On Premise

What is GarageBand?

GarageBand Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsMac

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.4.

The most common users of GarageBand are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

January 03, 2024

Free and powerful

François Lavallée | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use GarageBand to create jingles and original songs and also to record soundtracks for role playing scenarios for my training sessions. Using the built-in tools GarageBand allows me to easily modify the vocal tracks for optimal sound quality. Like any other Apple software, the commands are intuitive and the results are professional sounding. My clients are always impressed by the fact that I can create these amazing soundtracks by myself. GarageBand allows me to be effective and professional.
  • Plug and play with external devices
  • Nice sound effect for voice or instrument
  • Amazing sound quality
  • Very easy to export to Apple Music our Soundcloud for sharing
  • Using modified loops is sometimes difficult
  • Difficult to adjust the timing when recording tracks without prior metronome
  • Sometimes the input are not recognized immediately
  • The software keeps trying to connect the iPhone microphone even though an alternative input has been selected previously
As software included for free in the Apple work environment, this is an exceptional value and an amazing first step into the world of sound recording.
Tara Brueske | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use Garage Band both for my Voice podcast and for recording music that I can sell. It lets me put together my bi-weekly podcast with ease. Plus, when I need to record vocals or piano, I can do it right here at home using Garage Band as my software.
  • It is easy to edit in the way that you can highlight something and simply delete a part of what you are working on.
  • I love that I can drag two or more tracks together to keep them in sync when editing.
  • It's not difficult to add a click track when you need it.
  • I think the whole process of highlighting, cutting out parts and the basic editing doesn't take huge amounts of time because it seems intuitive.
  • I think it's a little confusing as to tweaking the EQ of a track. I don't find it intuitive and sometimes can't re-find it.
  • The ability to edit the EQ or the entire project also doesn't seem easy to find or make consistent.
  • I also wish it was easier to find the set up for midi
Honestly, switching to Garage Band from Audacity for my podcast was a game-changer in the editing. I can do it so much faster with the tools that are available in editing--especially when you are dealing with more than one track to edit.
I also think Garage Band could be fantastic for recording a whole album initially before sending it to be mastered elsewhere. And I think Garage Band could be perfect for sync music licensing because it's still relatively easy to use!
Kira Dineen, MS, LCGC, CG(ASCP)CM | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
Our business uses GarageBand for audio editing for our podcast. I am the producer and solely use GarageBand to produce all audio/episodes for DNA Today podcast.

After testing out different audio editors, I choose GarageBand for many reasons. It's easy to manipulate multiple tracks and visualize as you work with them. The visual audio levels are so clear and it's very simple to get a clean cut when editing a person talking to take out the "ums, ers, ahs" etc. When you use it long enough you can even point it out by looking at the audio waves without hearing it. Very easy to drag in MP3 and slide them where you want it. I have a folder of MP3 I use for every podcast episode such as intro and outro music. I have used other audio editors like Audacity which I did not find to be intuitive.
  • Easy to manipulate multiple tracks
  • Simple export of MP3's
  • Offers different size MP3's to export
  • Can't save the preferences for the tracks such as turning off reverb etc.
  • Project files are large, a 30-minute podcast episode with only 4 tracks is typically around 1 GB
  • Auto feature to silence guest not talking
  • Optimize for podcasters (I use the old version 6 as new versions hasn't had podcast options)
GarageBand is great for talk audio editing as well as music. It is also free compared to other audio editors, which is a major bonus. It is less appropriate if someone is just recording audio and not editing it. In those cases I would recommend Voice Memos app as it's also an Apple product. GarageBand is also not available to non-Apple users.
Incentivized
I use it to create short songs, such as radio themes, and complete original tunes & arrangements. It’s like a music sketch pad.
  • Record clearly
  • Notate each part
  • Allow for key or tempo changes
  • Better explanation of what icons mean
  • Better help menu
Good for radio theme production
Incentivized
We use GarageBand for many tasks such as recording for podcasts, YouTube videos and other social posts. GarageBand is great for us and solves many problems because it is very beginner friendly and can be used by any staff.
GarageBand helps us produce quality audio and voiceovers for our videos. Having good quality audio plays a crucial role in grabbing clients' attention when they view our videos through social media, for example.
  • Easy and simple interface that can be used by anyone.
  • The visual audio levels are great and help to clean out all the impurities in an audio.
  • Comes freely built in with all Mac computers, which are widely used.
  • Very user-friendly and intuitive at the same time.
  • GarageBand can be self-taught with no experience.
  • GarageBand has large project files which can easily fill up the storage.
  • It sometimes causes the Mac to heat up while other similar software don't tend to do that.
  • Not for the top tier professionals, as it is a more beginner friendly software.
  • Lack of effects. GarageBand is pretty basic, but gets the job done.
  • Lack of pre-sets to edit audio faster.
  • The biggest flaw is that it is only available on Apple devices.
GarageBand is great for any student, beginner, or any average person wanting to start something. Maybe a YouTube channel or a podcast... endless possibilities. But you must have an Apple device to get GarageBand. Also, using it on an iPhone doesn't give as many features as in the Mac version.

I totally recommend GarageBand for anyone, but if you are a professional music producer or singer, I would suggest you go for a better quality paid audio editing software since GarageBand wouldn't really be sufficient. Also, if you have a Mac with a small storage, don't just save all your GarageBand projects as they take up a bunch of space.
Incentivized
So I have been using GarageBand for my personal use since almost 2015 now the time I got my first iPad. I know this software well because my sister uses it extensively to record her music and add tracks to it, which she usually posts it on Youtube(Production quality). The reason she uses it and prefers it over sophisticated software like Ableton, ACID, etc. is because of its capability to do things smoothly and efficiently.
  • Ease of use
  • Free to use
  • Only useful of IOS devices
  • Lacks advanced features compared to other software.
  • So for an individual who likes to record music and add some cool tracks to it, nothing beats GarageBand. GarageBand is just so convenient to use, and the best thing is I can edit it on any device I am currently on. So If I am traveling, I can use my iPad or iPhone to edit the same track, which I was writing earlier. As long as you have the Apple ecosystem, you can be a "One man band."
  • However, when the scale increases to production-grade, this won't be an ideal place to go for it. Also, I believe many times the inbuilt tracks, and for that matter, the ones available online are also just a small subset of what you find in the other apps.
Shawngela Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use GarageBand in my coaching and training business to record and edit my audiobook. I also use it to make guided meditations recordings that I sell in my store. In addition to this, I have used it to edit some audio files when I couldn't get it edited properly in Final Cut Pro X. In the future, I plan to use it for recording and editing podcasts.
  • GarageBand is very intuitive
  • GarageBand is easy to learn
  • It would be nice to view the dB levels like in Final Cut Pro X, so I could easily keep recordings at the same level.
  • Adjusting the audio levels doesn't always go as planned because it is easy to move the audio level line past your desired level.
GarageBand is particularly well suited for beginner and intermediate audio editors. It is robust, easy to learn and has tons of features that will keep you busy learning. One of the things I particularly like is that it comes free with Mac computers! For advanced audio editing, however, I would recommend Logic for Mac users.
Ben Caplan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
GarageBand is a nice tool to use for editing audio tracks or developing an audio track to use for something like a video, radio ad, or the like.

I have used GarageBand to edit podcast episodes, edit soundtracks for video and even seen it used for music/songs.

GarageBand isn't currently being used by our whole organization, but rather by me specifically to test different marketing and outreach programs such as podcasting and video-blogs.

GarageBand is a simple tool that any organization can use to edit soundtracks, audio files and more for marketing purposes. If you're looking into podcasting and need a simple tool to edit the audio files - this will do a great job.
  • Equalizes multiple audio tracks.
  • Cuts and splices multiple audio files.
  • So many features one can get lost.
  • The learning curve is steep then mellows out.
GarageBand is fantastic for the following scenarios:
  1. Editing single audio tracks for podcasts
  2. Splicing multiple audio tracks together to create one
  3. Equalizing any number of tracks
  4. Tons of vocal treatments for getting different voice effects
  5. Preloaded instruments if you'd like to add instrument audio
You can do a variety of things with GarageBand...
  • Create and edit podcasts
  • Edit multiple audio files to use in a radio ad or similar use
  • Create full-length songs
  • Equalize audio files for a video