Likelihood to Recommend
- Simple and self-explanatory user interface.
- Inter usability between other software such as MicroDrainage and Bentley CivilStorm.
- Autodesk customer service.
- Easily customizable.
I've found that SketchUp is great for just about any modeling need and even quite a bit of drafting. I don't recommend it for photorealistic rendering, though I've yet to mess around with more than the >$100 plugins. I have yet to run into a document that cannot be created in LayOut, but the complex text is difficult (tables/tabs, etc) to edit.
Manager in OtherConstruction Company, 11-50 employees
- The best part of using Autodesk software is that all of its software is connected, which helps us to switch according to our project use.
- Pipe Network Part Replacement is very easy. It analyze the gravity flow and recommends the size accordingly. It also helps to understand the pressure parts.
- Simplicity. Anyone who is familiar with a computer can jump headfirst into SketchUp and be proficient with its use within an hour.
- Intuitive button design/layout. Creating 3D objects from 2D shapes is easy with the push/pull tool. More complex 3D modeling software can get overwhelming with all of the buttons on the toolbar.
- 3D modeling warehouse. There is an online database that allows users to see what other SketchUp users have created and download their own copy. Sharing objects with other users dramatically reduces the time required to build a very detailed model.
- There is nothing to improve in Civil 3D, I personally use Autodesk products like Maya, max and other including Civil 3D and Autodesk has a separate R&D team for tools development which they do their jobs perfectly.
- Ability to import Revit files and libraries.
- Ability to export true curved vector linework. There are some workarounds, needs to be refined.
- Create an OPEN MAPS connection. Since the split from Google, the source for high-quality aerials is limited.
- Ability to dock all menus to the master window on a Mac
- Ability to develop dockable menu trays on a Mac
Civil 3D 10.0
Based on 1 answer
They have a vast open community, which has helped us understand Autodesk Civil 3D from the beginning. They have provided many templates and tutorials videos to our team due to that we can learn every new feature from them. Autodesk Civil 3D has also helped us to interconnect all its software in an internal bridge, which helps us switch between software as we need.
Based on 27 answers
Sketchup is so intuitive; I can't recall ever looking for official support. However, there are many user forums online that can answer more questions. The usefulness of the online forums is, however, tempered by the fact that there have been many versions of the software under different ownership and support regimes, and thus finding the right information for the right version of the software can be a challenge.
Professional in OtherArchitecture & Planning Company, 11-50 employees
There is nothing like Civil 3D stacks up against them, I personally use all this software but we this software because of our client demands. But I personally found no problem with each other’s software and obviously Autodesk team of research and development works really great and whenever you are stuck their backend team reaches you immediately and responds back asap.
It's great to give the customer an overview of how a project will look, but it will never replace the information that a blueprint or engineering drawing can convey. SketchUp is great for the casual user or someone who is just getting started in design work. Other high powered software, such as Solidworks or Inventor is more suited for 3D modeling on a regular basis
Engineer in EngineeringBuilding Materials Company, 1001-5000 employees
Return on Investment
- In term of accuracy our firm has some positive impacts , mainly in pipeline design.
- When design changes have to be made: change any aspect of the corridor, whether alignment, profile, or any cross-section, and Autodesk Civil 3D automatically recalculates and redraws everything else affected by that change. Due to this, we can save more time.
- Some of our clients really appreciated that we could quickly make adjustments to proposed projects or mockups.
- That being said, I've definitely spent a lot of time getting lost in the weeds making very small changes because they saw that it was possible, and then we're spending hours we might not have on the job.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Civil 3D Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing DetailsCan be licensed monthly ($305), Annually ($2,430), or every 3 years ($6,560).Available free for one year on a student license.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SketchUp Editions & Modules
- per year