"The great software for Architects, Designers & Engineers"We use AutoCAD for some 2D & 3D layouts and a lot of signal design schematics. As an engineering firm, AutoCAD is very useful for our designs and internal projects. As an Assistant Signal designer, without this software I think I could not work, it is really essential to use this software now in my life for my work, I have presented a lot of drawings for large and small projects by using AutoCAD. It has helped me in various projects and every day I learn more about the tools, which allows me to say that AutoCAD is the best professional quality engineering and architecture program for the design .,In AutoCAD,it can be easy to draw details of anything needed for projects. AutoCAD has a variety of detail levels, from simple stick line drawings to full detail wireframe 3D models. Because AutoCAD is primarily a line drawing software, it will require editing and redrawing to get exactly what you want from it. But it's simpler and easier to jump in to, and will be more cost effective for smaller projects or customers with smaller budgets. We can use AutoCAD by Commands like copy command, move command, stretch command.,Nothing, everything is just perfect with this software, the only thing I would just say is the performance and compatibility with RAM and the memory you need free on your computer. Also, the updates from AutoDESK are a little tedious and can slow down your performance but you then only need to downgrade your service packs and problem fixed. It crashes all the time and I lose work and have to do it all over again. Also the fact that is a basic app for many people, to work in more specific subjects, AutoCAD is too simple, and there are other apps that can provide other new an advance tools. It is expensive and it takes up a lot of storage space. The license of the program has a high cost and it requires a computer with a lot of memory space in to it. Hatch processing is not good . It is slow and unresponsive at times.,9,The business is predominantly based on making and selecting the best design feature of the products. Most drawings are done on AutoCAD. The positive impact is that with AutoCAD I am able to make scaled drawings. I like that the files can be shared between various members on a team so that everyone can work on the files. Also, a great feature is that the files can be linked together so that there is no need to go back and make changes to every single file. On the contrary, the AutoCAD permits export as a third party extension such as pdf. A bunch of different softwares permit export as AutoCAD drawing however the exported files accuracy is distorted. AutoCAD is the classic tool that everyone uses and it's hard to work as a designer not knowing this program. The demand AutoCAD puts on your computer operating system is quite high thus requiring you have the best operating components available. It costs a bit more but will ensure smooth operating.,MATLAB, Adobe Acrobat DC and Skype for Business,Skype for Business, WebEx Meetings, Adobe Acrobat DCAutoCAD - the greatest innovation ever!I work for a structural engineering firm. We use AutoCAD to produce structural, support of excavation, NYCTA, sketches and several other drawings, as needed. As a company, we use it as a whole. Even the simplest of opening up AutoCAD to print drawings by an office assistant. This addresses any structural work that needs to be completed by our office.,AutoCAD is great for drafting. Clearly you first draft before you engineer a building, so being able to draft out everything accordingly AND simply, is fantastic. It's super simple and anyone can learn how to use it! Next, AutoCAD is great for adding electronic seals to. Some building filings here, especially in New York, are mainly done online. I think its great that AutoCAD has the option to add them in the title block. It makes it simpler this way instead of printing them, signing and sealing, and scanning the drawings to issue electronically. Lastly AutoCAD is great because you can design ANYTHING no matter how big or small it is. There is so much space to be used in the model and layout spaces. It gives you endless possibilities on what you can draft or design.,I wish AutoCAD had more options for colors. I know they give a lot of colors to draft lines and what not, but they need more options so things can be more detailed. AutoCAD really should have tutorials for when you first use the program to teach you the basics. I had no experience when I first starting using AutoCAD and I had to watch a lot of youtube videos to learn what to do. Lastly, AutoCAD should have the option of modifying the title block in the layout space in each drawing. The only way you are able to revise the title block is opening the file itself. Sometimes I only need to change the title block for 1 specific drawing and I have to go through so much work just to do so!,9,AutoCAD is the function of our business. AutoCAD has made this company successful for over 30+ years. This company works, lives, and breathes AutoCAD. AutoCAD also has returned a good amount of investment over the years. Since we surround ourselves with AutoCAD daily, I can happily say that it has made this company a huge profit. One negative impact is the constant upgrades. Any time a new version comes out, we have to invest in the latest because let's face it, that's how business works! Which costs more money for the upgrade and the maintenance.,Revit,QuickBooks Online, Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Office 2016AutoCAD ups & downsI use AutoCAD LT now that my AutoCAD software that I purchased awhile back doesn't work on Windows 10 therefore I was forced to a subscription format and can only afford the LT version. I prefer standard AutoCAD but the cost is out of reach for an independent consultant like myself. I do basic space planning - test fits, block plans and furniture layouts for my clients.,AutoCAD can be as robust as you need. I don't do 3D so AutoCAD full version isn't necessary but I do like regular AutoCAD because I was used to they way it all works. The LT version had a few learning curves to overcome. I still don't know how to set up a drawing on AutoCAD LT since their Toolbar doesn't have the Units setup and I don't have time for tutorials. AutoCAD toolbars are excellent for making easier steps while working on a drawing. AutoCAD subscription gives you products to download to your devices which is nice. For what I do - space planning of office space, furniture layouts and test fits, AutoCAD is an excellent tool for sending electronic versions to others to mark up or a PDF for those that don't have the software.,AutoCAD LT doesn't have all the toolbars that the full version of AutoCAD has. I think that both versions should have the same toolbars so that one can work with either version. The only difference is that AutoCAD has the capability of creating 3D images, so I understand that those toolbars can be unique to that version. AutoCAD LT doesn't have architectural symbols to pull from like AutoCAD which would be nice to have since the LT version is for 2D drawing. Double clicking on a drawing seems to be an issue when trying to open. Not sure if it's my PC or AutoCAD. I have to remember to right click and hit "open with AutoCAD launcher". To me that's an extra step that is unnecessary.,8,Being able to produce 11x17 drawings on a regular basis for my small to mid-size clients on AutoCAD has been a positive for me vs. using hand drawn plans or using Visio. The return on my investment is OK but now that AutoCAD is on a subscription basis vs. purchasing a stand alone version that one can use for a few years is a draw back in my mind. I know that's the platform that MicroSoft Office has gone to also. It's all about the almighty buck but for small businesses like myself, it's not always the best return.,,Microsoft Office 365AutoCAD is a great 2D drawing platformAutoCAD is being used to create 2D drawings for laser cutting components during prototyping. It was easy for me to get started and creating basic shapes and learning how to modify the shapes into functional parts. The dimensioning feature allows me to see measurements while flipping between drawings and making sure that everything lines up.,2D drawings are very easy to create and quick to mock up. Shortcuts enabled me to work a lot faster. The UI was very aesthetically pleasing to work with which enhanced my experience.,The UI is very overwhelming for first time users due to all the various buttons.,8,AutoCAD has allowed us to prototype things in house instead of paying a premium to get it done by a consulting firm.,AutoCAD is the Industry Leader for a ReasonAutocad was used across the company by all members of the team except the Principal. We were able to address all areas of design from concept through construction with Autocad. It was also something that allowed us to connect with other consultants and use drawings from their offices.,Autocad is great for doing construction document sets Autocad is ideal for collaborating across all construction disciplines. Autocad was ideal for having precise drawings that allowed contractors to effectively do their jobs in the field.,Autocad's 3D aspects are still not as robust as others on the market The rendering to photo realistic models can be done with add-ons but not something that is done natively The price of this can be daunting now that it is not a one time price but rather per year.,9,We are able to collaborate with other offices more effectively We are able to print in batches which saves time and money having to take these outside of the house The learning curve is not that intense which means that new members are easily able to get up to speed.,SketchUp
AutoCAD

AutoCAD Reviews

AutoCAD
Filter 112 vetted AutoCAD reviews and ratings
Neha Chopra profile photo
October 03, 2018

AutoCAD Review: ""The great software for Architects, Designers & Engineers""

• In AutoCAD,it can be easy to draw details of anything needed for projects. AutoCAD has a variety of detail levels, from simple stick line drawings to full detail wireframe 3D models.
  • Because AutoCAD is primarily a line drawing software, it will require editing and redrawing to get exactly what you want from it. But it's simpler and easier to jump in to, and will be more cost effective for smaller projects or customers with smaller budgets.
  • We can use AutoCAD by Commands like copy command, move command, stretch command.
  • Nothing, everything is just perfect with this software, the only thing I would just say is the performance and compatibility with RAM and the memory you need free on your computer. Also, the updates from AutoDESK are a little tedious and can slow down your performance but you then only need to downgrade your service packs and problem fixed.
  • It crashes all the time and I lose work and have to do it all over again. Also the fact that is a basic app for many people, to work in more specific subjects, AutoCAD is too simple, and there are other apps that can provide other new an advance tools.
  • It is expensive and it takes up a lot of storage space. The license of the program has a high cost and it requires a computer with a lot of memory space in to it.
  • Hatch processing is not good . It is slow and unresponsive at times.
It is well suited to create drawings with specific dimensions and details to present a clean plan for clients. We use it as a 2D and 3D drawing tool! We use it for our production technical drawings and also for 3D presentation to our customers.It can crash at random times or hangup on large files.
The ability to combine multiple tasks in one programmer, such as 2D drawings, 3D renderings, and schedules, is desirable as an architect when efficiency and coordination is key. AutoCAD falls down or less appropriate at this, as it does not have these multiple functions.
Read Neha Chopra's full review
Samantha Dross profile photo
June 26, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD - the greatest innovation ever!"

• AutoCAD is great for drafting. Clearly you first draft before you engineer a building, so being able to draft out everything accordingly AND simply, is fantastic. It's super simple and anyone can learn how to use it!
  • Next, AutoCAD is great for adding electronic seals to. Some building filings here, especially in New York, are mainly done online. I think its great that AutoCAD has the option to add them in the title block. It makes it simpler this way instead of printing them, signing and sealing, and scanning the drawings to issue electronically.
  • Lastly AutoCAD is great because you can design ANYTHING no matter how big or small it is. There is so much space to be used in the model and layout spaces. It gives you endless possibilities on what you can draft or design.
  • I wish AutoCAD had more options for colors. I know they give a lot of colors to draft lines and what not, but they need more options so things can be more detailed.
  • AutoCAD really should have tutorials for when you first use the program to teach you the basics. I had no experience when I first starting using AutoCAD and I had to watch a lot of youtube videos to learn what to do.
  • Lastly, AutoCAD should have the option of modifying the title block in the layout space in each drawing. The only way you are able to revise the title block is opening the file itself. Sometimes I only need to change the title block for 1 specific drawing and I have to go through so much work just to do so!
AutoCAD is suited for anyone looking to design or draft. Whether it is an architect, engineer, a detailer, etc. AutoCAD is probably suitable for other areas but also not suitable for many. AutoCAD is not suitable for anyone who is looking to just draw. There's more to AutoCAD than that.
Read Samantha Dross's full review
Lisa Stumm profile photo
May 25, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD ups & downs"

• AutoCAD can be as robust as you need. I don't do 3D so AutoCAD full version isn't necessary but I do like regular AutoCAD because I was used to they way it all works. The LT version had a few learning curves to overcome. I still don't know how to set up a drawing on AutoCAD LT since their Toolbar doesn't have the Units setup and I don't have time for tutorials. AutoCAD toolbars are excellent for making easier steps while working on a drawing.
  • AutoCAD subscription gives you products to download to your devices which is nice.
  • For what I do - space planning of office space, furniture layouts and test fits, AutoCAD is an excellent tool for sending electronic versions to others to mark up or a PDF for those that don't have the software.
  • AutoCAD LT doesn't have all the toolbars that the full version of AutoCAD has. I think that both versions should have the same toolbars so that one can work with either version. The only difference is that AutoCAD has the capability of creating 3D images, so I understand that those toolbars can be unique to that version.
  • AutoCAD LT doesn't have architectural symbols to pull from like AutoCAD which would be nice to have since the LT version is for 2D drawing.
  • Double clicking on a drawing seems to be an issue when trying to open. Not sure if it's my PC or AutoCAD. I have to remember to right click and hit "open with AutoCAD launcher". To me that's an extra step that is unnecessary.
AutoCAD full version is great for floor plans, elevations and 3D views of a space. Also, it's great for drawing mechanical tools or engines if you're into that industry. Basic drafting software is available if you only need to do floor plans or elevations. I chose to stay with AutoCAD since I was trained back in 2000. Surely I need a brush up on it as software does change over the years. Cost would be the deciding factor for a company when trying to choose drawing software. If you interact with the architectural design community, it's best to use AutoCAD since that is the software that most architects use.
Read Lisa Stumm's full review
September 11, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD is a great 2D drawing platform"

• 2D drawings are very easy to create and quick to mock up.
  • Shortcuts enabled me to work a lot faster.
  • The UI was very aesthetically pleasing to work with which enhanced my experience.
  • The UI is very overwhelming for first time users due to all the various buttons.
I think AutoCAD is well suited for people who need to create 2D drawings for laser cutting. I have also seen it used for creating floor plans or even drafting.

AutoCAD can be very expensive though for any non-business users at $255 a month. There are other free drawing software out there that could be better suited for people on a budget.
June 21, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD is the Industry Leader for a Reason"

• Autocad is great for doing construction document sets
  • Autocad is ideal for collaborating across all construction disciplines.
  • Autocad was ideal for having precise drawings that allowed contractors to effectively do their jobs in the field.
  • Autocad's 3D aspects are still not as robust as others on the market
  • The rendering to photo realistic models can be done with add-ons but not something that is done natively
  • The price of this can be daunting now that it is not a one time price but rather per year.
Autocad is very well suited for any size architecture or construction office. It makes for easy times in the office if all members of the team know how to use it and can participate in larger projects. This is one of the best pieces of CAD software out there.
July 13, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD - Still a strong leader!"

Our design and engineering departments use AutoCAD for in-house engineering.
  • User friendly with hot keys
  • Works seamlessly with Autodesk's Inventor
  • Great library of parts
  • I have serious crash problems even though I'm using all the Autodesk requirements. Other software programs don't crash on me as much as AutoCAD does.
Excellent for CNC machining or transferring raster images into vector files. I also use Illustrator to save the raster image to outlines. Then I output it as a DXF file.
Floyd Finch profile photo
March 29, 2018

AutoCAD Review: "Still the go to option for a reason."

Here at Safe Harbor Autocad is used both as a primary design software and by steel detailers to produce shop floor drawings. In addition, our production department uses it to generate profiles for CNC plate cutting equipment. The biggest problems it solves is providing a widely used drawing format that is easy to exchange with clients and is familiar with a wider number of users than any other cad software. It tends to be much easier to find proficient Autocad operators than any other software.
  • The biggest strength of Autocad is in its flexibility. It can be customized for almost any industry or drawing style. Granted the plethora of options, commands, & routines can make it a little intimidating for a beginner but experienced power users can make it sing. Even though it's parametric capability is limited a good user can even do excellent 3d modeling.
  • Almost every trade school, technical college, etc. teaches Autocad, this makes finding operators a lot easier than most other software.
  • Dedicated parametric design software such as Inventor & Solidworks may be taking over in the design realm but the fact of the matter is that 2d drawings will stay with us for a long time. Quite frankly when it comes to producing a good looking shop floor or construction site paper "blueprint" no other software does it better or easier. Even average users can take advantage of its extensive features & shortcuts for detailing drawings.
  • One of the things that makes Autocad so good is also a disadvantage and that is its complexity. It can be confusing for some. One of my biggest challenges is supporting experienced users who refuse to give up the classic interface as I've been using the ribbon since it was introduced and have forgotten most of the classic menu & toolbars.
  • The constant warnings when I open a dwg file created by another cad system are a pain. I know that this format was Autodesk's baby & I respect that but nobody needs these warnings and the extra step of dismissing them.
Steel Detailing, floor plans, M.E.P. (mechanical, electrical, & plumbing) diagrams are examples of where Autocad excels. When you get into design & analysis of moving assemblies or need to be able to update common components across a wide range of products without having to update every individual drawing using that component then you would be better off with parametric software.
Read Floyd Finch's full review
Andres Meza profile photo
May 18, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD is the ideal design tool for planes and objects for engineers and architects."

In the company, AutoCAD is used by the engineering department, which among many other functions is responsible for designing the plans required for the construction of our infrastructure.

The problems that the company solves through the use of AutoCAD is the process of planning the construction and remodeling required by the company for its installed capacity potential.

[We] Make designs from the beginning for decision making.
  • It is an ideal program for the design of urbanism, works aimed at improving the landscape, remodeling projects or construction.
  • It is a complex and quality software that can design maps and plans in multiple scales, angles, colors, and shapes.
  • I like it because it allows georeferencing and analysis of complex databases for decision making.
  • It offers excellent three-dimensional object design tools that allow you to project innovative and creative ideas.
  • Consider that in general AutoCAD must make an effort to facilitate the use of the system because it is very complex and difficult. It takes many hours for men to practice or go to an AutoCAD course to correctly handle the tool.
  • Consider that AutoCAD is the most used design system by engineering and architecture professionals but the most difficult to use.
  • If the owners of the program did a usability study aimed at improving the use of the system, I am convinced that it would be easier to apply the tools for the job.
AutoCAD adapts very well to the following scenarios:

1. Design of complex plans with many presentation details.
2. Design of infrastructure and structure scale projects
3. Presentation of cartography.
4. Rendering process.
5. Design of parts with many details and exact measurements.

AutoCAD does not adapt very well to the following scenarios:

1. Design of household pieces (appliances, appliances, brown line).
2. Design ideas of pieces or projects in three dimensions.
3. Activities with emergency character but that do not require precision.
Read Andres Meza's full review
Gil Lopez CTS ING profile photo
January 19, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD, a must in your production tool box"

AutoCAD has been our production tool of choice for many years and across various disciplines. It is a universal platform that works and integrates well with other industry leading software packages. It's compatibility with other platform file formats makes it ideal for prototyping and production. It is efficient for workflows specific to early diagrams that eventually make their way into Revit models.
  • For engineering tasks, AutoCAD is excellent for functional and schematic diagram production.
  • For project management, it provides a quick and easy way to export plans into sets usable by field operations, such as PlanGrid.
  • Its integration with Revit allows for mixed projects where AutoCAD and Revit families must co-exist.
  • Its adoption by the A/E industry at large make it easy to justify the investment in software and training.
  • AutoCAD is typically improved by using third-party companion applications. It would be nice to have these additional sets of functionality included with the base software.
  • Presets specific to certain industries are great (MEP, Electrical, etc.), however, there are some specialty industries that could benefit form custom presets not yet available.
  • The learning curve for new features is relatively steep even for seasoned users. A brief video of "what is new" would be a welcome addition to new roll-outs.
Great for 2D quick production, functional and electrical diagrams, and other data sets that do not require 3D production. AutoCAD does provide great 3D capabilities and rendering features, however, the industry (at least the A/E) continues to move towards Revit for 3D modeling and production. AutoCAD integrates well with Revit, making it a great tool to have in the production line.
Read Gil Lopez CTS ING's full review
Cesar A Siso L profile photo
January 09, 2018

AutoCAD Review: "The Best Software for Design and Planning"

AutoCAD has been used in my organization for the design of social programs, specifically one dedicated to the construction of houses for people who live in neighborhoods at risk or ones that suffer natural disasters, such as landslides. The tool is used mainly by the Infrastructure department. Where infrastructure management has the responsibility to evaluate the terrain conditions and create the design houses for families of four members, with a limited number of resources and a low budget. This tools brings us the opportunity to do a design and constantly make the necessary changes. For this to be adjusted to a specific situation of the terrain and the materials to do the construction. Every design that we do is particular and specific measures to fixed points and to be built in that specific place.
  • The features of AutoCAD for design are endless, you can virually manage all the details of a design, from the thickness of the walls to the locations of the pipelines. The interphase allows me to put in my design every detail that I need, with precise measurements and all characteristics that I need to add.
  • The management of the layout features is another of its great virtues, you can handle simultaneously as many layouts as you want, this issue allows me to design every part in this case of a house in a separate way and have every part like floor, pipelines, walls, and any other spaces, in different layouts to consult and print whenever it needs to be.
  • The AutoCAD tools for design are very useful because it allows you to modify color, thickness and any other attribute that you considerate necessary to modify, the easy way of managing their tools, allows to make changes quickly and make the things ready to print when all the features have been corrected.
  • There are so many other features to talk about, like print options, the add of geographic coordinates, the interphase to make 3d digital models, and so many other things, but each one depends on you and the kind of work that you develop.
  • One of the big problems for people that is not usual of the software is it being overwhelming because of the many tools and options that appear in front of your eyes when you open the software for the first time. This happens even with architects who manage other software. It is extremely necessary to have an introductory course of use for this tool, and sometimes that can be extra money that the company does not have the budget for.
  • Another problem is related to the print options of the software for people who are not familiar with it. There are so many options for print and layout. I think this can be less complicated making a tool for printing more conventional like house prints or plotter prints, where you select in two or three options the dimension of the drawing and the size on the paper and everything is ready, for some people configuring a print in AutoCAD is a hard task.
  • This software demands a big range of RAM memory and card video, sometimes this can be a problem because it is consuming all the resources of your computer limiting other processes. There must be an option for use of low memory range or something like that, one option that allows the use of only the features that you need and maintaining in suspension all of the processes that you do not need.
AutoCAD it is the perfect tool for design, it does not have a comparison with any other. You can do virtually anything you want for a design with this software from a simple drawing to a 3D digital model/. To see how the design you created can be seen in real life. you can manage a big range of design and put into it every detail, precise measures and modify colors and many other features that you need. If you want to design a flat, a building, a park, a pool, or any construction that you have in mind, this is your software.

The weak point of AutoCAD, is the transition between it and GIS, in this case, with the loss of any information, because in AutoCAD in contradistinction to GIS the lines, points and polygons does not have any attribute they are only drawn, and when you need the transition between the two software you lose so much information that it can't be used for spatial analysis.
Read Cesar A Siso L's full review
Luciana Montivero profile photo
April 26, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD, A Powerful but Complex Tool"

AutoCAD is used for 3D modeling and to make technical drawings across my organization. It's not used across the whole organization, but only in the prototyping department, where we need to make this type of drawings. It helps when presenting a prototype, and to understand the model we are to take to business.
  • Is really functional and suitable for engineering drawings or representations
  • For 2D drawing, is still one of the bests in the market
  • The features are a great deal for this type of work. Is a really complete platform for 2D and 3D drawing.
  • Sometimes it can be a little tricky or hard to use. There's so much going on, with so many options that you can easily get lost in the tools.
  • You surely will need a powerful computer to use this soft, so don't be stranged if your computer overheats or gets slowed down.
For floor designs, or for mechanical engineers applications or functional electrical designs, this is a great and useful software. Maybe if you need a rather basic design, you should stick to easier to use software (like Fusion360), especially when it comes to 3D designing.
Read Luciana Montivero's full review
Manuel Aguilar profile photo
March 30, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD is the best tool for engineers on the market"

AutoCAD is one of the best tools that all engineers need to learn. In the engineering and architecture departments of our business it is used to create or modify all type of design plans or drawings. We have used it to create piping and instrumentation diagrams of several of the largest industrial oil processing plants, it is such a complete CAD tool that it can address any type of drawing problem.
  • Working in AutoCAD is more practical that creating drawings by hand, plus the plans are much more precise and it saves a lot of time.
  • AutoCAD allows drawing both in 3D and in 2D, also the possibility of generating a 3D model from the 2D is excellent-
  • The program has excellent PDF compatibility since the engineer can transform the drawings to said format, and since PDF is a more commonly used format than DWG it is easier to share them without any issue.
  • The programs license is really expensive
  • Getting to an expert level can take a long time, since it has so many functions that are accessed mostly via command names, so you really need to memorize a lot of them for practical working.
  • It requires a lot of processing power to work correctly, it tends to overclock your computer or overheat it.
I don't see any real scenario where AutoCAD is not appropriate, is such an excellent drawing tool that once you get the hang of it and learn almost all of the primary functions is extremely beneficial for designing both 2D and 3D drawings or models. While doing Piping and instrument diagrams working with AutoCAD is a must, and the fact that Xrefs and dynamic blocks can be shared, you can make a new library just suited for the project you are currently working.
Read Manuel Aguilar's full review
Victor Arana profile photo
March 29, 2018

Review: "AutoCAD a great design tool for multi purpose projects !"

We currently use AutoCAD to do reviews and markups of the drawing sets of construction projects. We also use AutoCAD to make changes over the design landscapes and report the inconsistencies upon final revision of the drawings. Our team of project managers and estimator work closely using and sharing updates of the CAD file sets. All the drawings are being shared using A360 that allows us to get the most from the AutoCAD cloud add-in set. The TCO and the annual subscription of Autodesk impact the IT budget of software maintenance.
  • The ability to deploy shared licenses, and manage the end user subscription from the Autodesk web portal
  • Easy steps to deploy install and set up user accounts.
  • Allows to preview 3D drawings and send them to other Autodesk apps like Revit or Civil
  • The Auto CAD ADLM requires explicit rules for Internet access and firewall permissions to stay connected in company networks.
  • The Manuals to manage and set training path to end user are not available.
  • The amount of seats or end users may impact for ADLM services held in Auto CAD server.
Auto CAD meets the requirements as it's well suited to do reviews and build drawings sets and to create project standards, build an extensive catalog of drawing designs, merging new and existing concepts.

Auto CAD can read 3D and build new layouts within the standards of an existing or new drawing.

Auto CAD can't be used to replace Revit, Civil, or an Architectural Auto Desk program suites that have custom and specific features to bring an outstanding design of a catalog based drawing designs.
Read Victor Arana's full review
Jason Galati profile photo
February 28, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD is the STANDARD"

There is just nothing with this software that I don't like. Since the first version of AutoCAD came out to the market, there has being a lot of improvement on its interface. With that being said, AutoCAD has positioned itself as the most common use software in the engineering field. All the tools that AutoCAD provide to its users are just easy to use and they explain step by step all you have to do in the command bar. What I like the most of AutoCAD I guess is the compatibility with the other Autodesk software and the possibility to create 3D models in a very accurate way. Its compatibility property makes AutoCAD a must have software because you can definitely use it at the very beginning of the project or just at the end, almost on every phase of any engineering project. Also, one thing to note is that almost everything you do in AutoCAD can be accomplished in 10 different ways, giving AutoCAD a lot more of use and knowledge for the user. In simple words, I highly recommend Autodesk AutoCAD to anyone who is in the design field, whether you're an architect, industrial designer, or any other design related profession, AutoCAD is a good software to have, and know.
  • Command line interface.
  • 3D rendering
  • General drafting
  • Help menu should provide examples of how to do things.
  • Being able to import base maps for site plans.
  • Online video tutorials.
AutoCAD seems to crash a lot when working from a remote server. It doesn't store the working files locally and therefore, if the files are large, the software has a tendency to crash.

AutoCAD is very well suited for basic 2D drawings and creating different layers and using xrefs.
Read Jason Galati's full review
Joshua Henderson profile photo
March 14, 2018

User Review: "AutoCAD - Great Software"

AutoCAD and AutoPLANT are instrumental in the design, construction, and completion of our company's work on varying levels. Everything from sales to finishing construction.
  • Layouts
  • Fabrication
  • Design
  • Continuity with other programs.
  • Backwards compatibility.
Again, we love it from a start to finish software. It allows us to do 3D design, p & id, submittal drawings right thru to as-builts. The software is easy to use for the less experienced and great for those with experience. Very well rounded.
Read Joshua Henderson's full review
January 31, 2018

"AutoCAD Review"

Our production department works with AutoCAD on a daily basis. Our drawings mostly consist of projects pertaining to water, wastewater, land development projects, directly dealing with water plant expansions, wastewater treatment plant expansions, lift station, sub-division, and water sanitary sewer rehabilitation projects. AutoCAD gives us the ability to promote efficient CAD production in the delivery of multi-discipline drawings.
  • It is the industry standard for civil engineering. Most of our clients and contractors know Civil3D and we are able to exchange dwg files with little to no difficulty.
  • Labeling each block in a drawing is very easily managed, and easy to read.
  • The GIS capabilities are excellent.
  • Offer more free training. The program is so huge that it can be difficult to learn.
  • Sometimes the cursor can be slow or jerky.
  • Plotting can be buggy at times. Sometimes you have to convert the file to pdf just to print, and even then it may not work.
AutoDesk products are the industry standard, so exchanging files with our clients and contractors is pain free. They also offer a free CAD viewing application, DGW TrueView, so you don't have to purchase anything just to view a drawing. I like the dynamic abilities that AutoCAD offers. Everything is linked and if one object changes, everything associated to that object updates as well.
November 30, 2017

AutoCAD Review: "Advanced tool for Advanced designers"

AutoCad is currently being used across the company for designing of rooftop solar systems. It does not addresses any problem as such but is more a tool for implementation. AutoCAD help model 3D objects with colors, materials and/or textures applied to various surfaces making them vivid and easier for the user to visualize the end product. AutoCAD enables you to draw with fractional dimensions and also define precision to any number of decimal places, which is not possible to achieve in hand-drafted manual drawings, hence offering accuracy in all dimensions.
  • Accuracy on measurement
  • Working on 3D environments
  • Replicating satellite design to build 3D models
  • AutoCAD needs to be simplified
  • Software is too heavy and not meant for basic users
It is less appropriate for base users and more for detailed architectural designs and 3D modelling. Auto makes drawing simple and straight forward but certainly does not make it the most user friendly software out in the market for basic drawing.
Matthew Warren profile photo
October 24, 2017

User Review: "AutoCAD compared to Revit"

AutoCAD is being used by my company mainly as a tool to access archive data that was created in the program. AutoCAD is also currently being used to finish on going projects within our Landscaping department. By being able to access our archived data with this program we can easily retrieve information from previous projects as reference for existing clients.
  • The program is extremely accurate for measurement.
  • The interface is consistent between releases.
  • The program is backwards compatible.
  • It needs improvement with talking with other programs.
  • Quicker regeneration times for 3D views.
  • How it handles xrefs.
AutoCAD is very well suited for any pure drafting exercise. It works well for industry settings where you are drafting parts and pieces for machinery. Any place where you have to be extremely accurate with your measurements. Some places where AutoCAD does not perform well is in designing a building; AutoCAD's counterpart Revit works better for this situation.
Read Matthew Warren's full review
Ethan Dunkle profile photo
September 19, 2017

"AutoCAD Review"

We use AutoCAD primarily in the VDC department in which we are using it for many different tasks. It's good for doing quick details in 2D or doing full sets of drawings. I would say it is still the most used drafting program that we see used, as many companies are still in the process of making the shift to 3D.
  • Allows you to draw precisely what you're trying to draw with ease.
  • It is user friendly to pick up the basics of the program and start drawing right away.
  • You can also get very detailed and do complex drawings once you get to know some of the more complicated tools.
  • Some small things could use changes opposed to Autodesk always trying to come out with new features.
  • Text/Annotation is not the easiest to use out of the base new drawing file(scaling needs to be set up).
We find AutoCAD useful to do our surveying drawings in and then take that file into our surveying program and go from there with it. I personally do not like drawing anything in 3D in AutoCAD and would much rather prefer a program like SketchUp for that.
Read Ethan Dunkle's full review
Nelson David Sanchez Villasmil profile photo
August 30, 2017

User Review: "Autocad Pros And Cons"

Autocad has been a primary tool for the office. With it, we are able to coordinate the various engineering specialties with an architectural project via the implementation of the Xref feature. We send architectural drawings to engineers and contractors and they send back the mechanical, electrical and structural drawings. And then we can compile all that info to start the bidding and construction process.

It is being used by the project department only because we have the knowledge to manage the software but the entire company bases the process on the drawings created in autocad. We print drawings for contractors and all the billing and accounting have direct relation with what comes out of autocad.
  • Manage extremely exact details and measures.
  • Also have the possibility to work in 3D space.
  • You can coordinate entire construction drawing documentation.
  • It has features to work on the cloud.
  • It has features to manage very large projects.
  • It requires good training to get used to the tools.
  • As it is very exact software, to draw a line is a process which involves around 3 actions and can be long to finish a building project.
  • To improve the rendering quality
For precision AutoCAD is the one; for quick work or presentation, it is not the best. If the requirement is to work with another contractor, it is good to use AutoCAD because it is an industry standard and [it's in] the majority of the construction offices. If the intention is to do project visualization it is not the [right] tool. AutoCAD is exceptional if you need precision and the ability to coordinate with other offices.
Read Nelson David Sanchez Villasmil's full review
August 29, 2017

AutoCAD Review: "The Industry Standard"

Teaching students how to utilize software for both large projects and rapid prototyping. Developing skills that can be utilized in the real world. All students pursuing a career in engineering should definitely know how to use AutoCAD software, not only for personal use but as a skill to use for their company.
  • Great at creating cross sectional views of a wide variety of parts, showing both consumers and employees the design.
  • AutoCAD can be used to make creations for games, movies, but most importantly, the professional industry.
  • Many detailed and specific tools in AutoCAD allow one to easily create complex geometry and surfaces to help rapidly model creations.
  • Ease of isometric designing
  • Circle Creation Tool not performing as the user may want
It could be used for both commercial and consumer architectural design, personal design of small projects on is working on, or if somebody is doing a DIY project they found online. It's also great for creating quick designs that you want to laser cut in order to rapidly prototype manufactured parts for a product.

About AutoCAD

AutoCAD is a CAD product from Autodesk. It allows designers to work in 2D and 3D, and has extensive online collaboration tools.

AutoCAD Technical Details