SketchUp Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Michael Prewitt | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 23, 2020

Quick and easy mockups of real-world buildings and structures

• We use SketchUp primarily for mocking up tradeshow displays. It is a quick and easy way to get a visual of how the various components of our tradeshow presence will work on the floor of the exhibit hall. We can look at it from multiple perspectives. I'm able to render out 3D walk-through or walk-around movies so everyone on the team and get an idea of what the structures will look like.
  • Additionally, we have also used SketchUp for television studio set mockups and graphics for printed publications, such as executive reports of projects that we've worked on.
  • It is a very easy-to-use app, and with nonprofit discounts, it is very economical for us. Plus, the free viewer app on the SketchUp website allows anyone to interact with the models even if they are not a licensed user. The free app runs in the cloud, so it can be used from anywhere, without needing to install the software.
  • Very easy to use compared to most other 3D modeling programs
  • Works with a huge library of free 3D components (3D Warehouse)
  • Sometimes SketchUp combines or joins objects in ways you did not intend and undoing that can be frustrating, especially if the Undo command is no longer an option.
  • The process of creating photorealistic renderings is somewhat convoluted compared to other 3D apps.
  • For creating quick conceptual mockups of real-world objects (particularly large objects), SketchUp cannot be beaten. In some industries, such as building construction and architecture, it appears to hold a very strong position. I am not in those industries, but I find the software very easy to use.
  • SketchUp has some powerful tools for creating complex renderings, but some of the methods take some study and practice. I wouldn't say they are immediately intuitive. However, the company behind SketchUp has created a lot of great YouTube videos for training.
  • In my experience, photorealistic rendering is not an ideal use of this application, although it can be done. Some impressive renders have been done, but it seems like a lot of work that this app may not be ideally suited for. For creating photorealistic renderings, particularly of small objects (products, etc.) I would recommend Boxshot, Adobe Dimension, or a traditional 3D modeling app.
  • The methods of creating, combining, and manipulating objects are unique to SketchUp — quite different from standard approaches in other 3D apps. While I personally find them easy to use, there is a learning curve, and it is an entirely different process than one would find in an app like Maya, Cinema 3D, or Blender.
Read Michael Prewitt's full review
Trang Huynh | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 22, 2020

SketchUp: saved my life with a deadline

In our company, we often use SketchUp to create 3D model concepts to help our customers have a better idea of or expand details for AutoCAD drawings. That is a good way to explain a difficult detail or structure. The biggest problem is that the layout and dimensions don't seem good and are hard to control. Many members must work in a separate file but cannot collaborate together in the same file.
  • Build a model very fast and save a lot of time.
  • Easy to change details, materials or scenes. Update in real time with layout.
  • Layout is not easy to create or control.
  • Not easy to do dimension in 3D view.
It is good to use SketchUp with urgent projects because it is fast, easy to use, convenient, and very efficient. But it still has some disadvantage points that need to be fixed as soon as possible. Anyway, I would recommend SketchUp for other uses because of what its benefits can bring to us.
Read Trang Huynh's full review
Nathan Bowman | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2020

Great for rough drafting, not so much for real precision layout

We use SketchUp internally to generate mockups or quick graphic representations when we don't have time to build an entire 3D model. I'll use it especially for landscape architecture demos, or anytime I need to put together a demo for a client or for marketing. It's not used by the engineers, it's really just over here in Environmental that we get more use out of it.
  • Speedy modeling of simple shapes - You can very quickly get an idea sketched out.
  • Rendering basic shapes to then export and use in other programs - If I need a specific background to pull into a photoshop drawing.
  • SketchUp is very difficult to maneuver in - It can take ages to position objects correctly.
  • It can also be tough to teach - l am working with engineers that are building models in MicroStation and AutoCAD and they can't understand how to build objects.
SketchUp's compatibility is very dependent on your use case. If someone said, "Hey, do you know a software suite for rendering highway transportation plans?" I wouldn't suggest SketchUp - as much as I've used it, I've not seen that it's not good for precise measurements or for laying out clear plans - but it's great for rough planning or drawing up quick ideas.
Read Nathan Bowman's full review
Brian Gernetzke, AIA | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2020

SketchUp Review

We use SketchUp in all phases of design and construction documents for both residential and commercial projects.
  • 3D visualization.
  • Clear communication of design and detailing.
  • Over reliance on plugins vs. real product development.
  • The inability to group and collapse scenes make navigation and organization somewhat complicated.
SketchUp is a lightweight BIM alternative that allows for efficient workflow from the early phase of design through construction documentation. It's most suitable for smaller projects, as models are only able to be accessed by one user at a time.
Read Brian Gernetzke, AIA's full review
Ed Hart | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 08, 2020

Easy to use 3D Modeling software

We've used SketchUp to create models of showroom displays for our flooring showroom. We use these models to develop a detailed plan of assembly and cut list. We've built a variety of displays to exhibit our tile products. We've also used SketchUp as an alternative to AutoCAD when doing some minor re-designs of our showroom and workspace.
  • Relatively simple to learn and use as compared with other 3D modeling tools.
  • Ability to share and access other models using the 3D Warehouse.
  • Sometimes I have to hunt around for ways to do stuff. I can usually find a solution on YouTube.
  • Sometimes some of the more complicated controls are counter intuitive.
I have recommended SketchUp a number of times to colleagues. The main reason is that it's a pretty accessible tool that for the most part that is user-friendly and intuitive. I use the tool sporadically when we have projects to be designed, and I've found that it's one of those tools that I can get back into and quickly get "back up to speed" even though I don't use it all the time. I've tried some other tools and they are so complicated that if I'm not using it every day, it's easy to forget all the techniques.
Read Ed Hart's full review
Frank Genese | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 06, 2020

Architecture Live!

In our architectural practice, we rely heavily on Sketch-up. It allows our designers to work in three dimensions from the start and affords them the opportunity to shift back and forth from AutoCAD to design the interior and exterior simultaneously. It also allows us to work with clients in what we call "architecture live', where the client can see changes and options immediately.
  • 3D Visualization.
  • Provides the ability to see the structure at real life angles.
  • More photo-realistic options.
  • More downloadable images from the 3d warehouse.
SketchUp is a fantastic tool for showing clients the design in 3D. It allows clients to see a change instantly, and to see their feedback presented in a way they can understand. It is also a terrific tool for detailing the interior of the space, since furniture and equipment can be easily moved around. Most clients have trouble visualizing in 3D, and this allows them the ability to do so.
Read Frank Genese's full review
Oral Tosun | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2020

SketchUp is a Corner Stone of 3D design

I use SketchUp designing 3D contents for my clients' projects. SketchUp provides quick 3D model creation possibilities via its useful mouse commands. I only use SketchUp since MiniFabrikam is a small online desktop 3D printing company. I use SketchUp mostly on architectural projects. SketchUp provides many ready-made 3D models for all kinds of things in its 3D model repository called 3Dwarehouse. This feature saves you a lot of time on your projects. You select the ready-made models from the 3Dwarehouse and could use your own projects.
  • SketchUp has a vast 3D model repository. You don't need to design the wheel from scratch.
  • SketchUp's extension warehouse provides a lot of solutions for different design problems. You could solve your design bottlenecks via extensions. I often use SketchUp's STL exporter extension to get 3D printable designs for my business.
  • It is a little bit hard to get manifold 3d files from SketchUp. Manifoldness is a must-have rule for a 3D printable file.
  • SketchUp cannot import well-known CAD file formats.
I think SketchUp is best for architectural designs. It could be used for both interior and exterior building designs effectively. SketchUp has some difficulties regarding 3D printing applications. There is always some "STL" file format exporting errors on SketchUp. (3D printers utilize mainly "STL" file format.).The other file formats which are supported by 3D printers cannot be usable with SketchUp. But SketchUp provides rapid 3D design creation possibilities, which are suitable to use in urgent customer projects.
Read Oral Tosun's full review
Bin Cai | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

A start-up software to learn and create 3D drawings

It has been widely used in multiple disciplines, especially those that are associated with design including architecture and interior design, structural design, landscape design, manufacture design, etc. SketchUp helps to create 3D drawings for any given design to satisfy varying design requirements.

To provide a visual assistant to the test setup, I have used SketchUp to build a 3D model of the test unit along with a lab picture to show how the elements in the test setup were connected and transferred forces from the applied load. Apart from modeling, SketchUp was also used for sketching a building in my course project. Following the design requirements, I created sketches of plan-view and elevation view of the designed building in SketchUp to build a 3D model of the design. Based on these models, my project team and I can have a 3D visualization of the AutoCAD drawings and better understand the structure of the building which helped improve the design eventually.
  • SketchUp is relatively easy to start learning how to make 3D graphs compared to other programs that are designed for specific disciplines.
  • SketchUp is a free software for all users to download and use.
  • SketchUp drawings can be directly imported to some more advanced software to further edit.
  • Built-in models and elements are limited in this free-edition software to offer help in the computer-aided design.
SketchUp is a good start-up software for beginner to make 3D drawings since it offers basic elements and models for design. Additionally, tremendous tutorials of SketchUp are available online and this free software does not have a big footprint, therefore it will not consume lots of memory and RAM of a user's computer. Limited sources for design constrain this software's broader usage.
Read Bin Cai's full review
Mohit Prasad | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2020

SketchUp is for easy design

We use SketchUp to design different types of prototypes. I also used SketchUp to develop design demonstrations. It is a helpful tool with less technical aspects and the design flow is easy to understand. I did the design and modeling of my Do It Yourself kits and basic model sketch using SketchUp.
  • Easy work flow for developing the design and models.
  • Less complex work area.
  • Can not add specified details and dimensions.
  • Detailing becomes difficult as the complexity of project increases.
I would like to recommend SketchUp for project modeling and design of rough sketches with less detailing. When your design requires complex detailing especially for the mechanical components, SketchUp is not what you are looking for. In that case different CAD solutions are available in the market. Apart from these, working on small prototypes or simple designs SketchUp is the best solution.
Read Mohit Prasad's full review
March 12, 2020

Great for conceptual models and interior finishes

Sketchup is used for early massing models and design studies in the conceptual phase of large scale commercial office projects, and in later stages of design for interior and retail projects. Sketchup models are often used as a basis for clean graphic exhibits, and for 3D renderings, fly-throughs, and virtual reality.
  • Very easy to learn.
  • Robust enough to manage various file types and modeling tasks
  • Great graphics options, easy to get clean presentation exhibits from 3D models.
  • Not very useful for document production, like scale drawings.
  • It has limited file type compatibility.
  • It does not have the tools for complex geometry.
Sketchup is an excellent tool for quick 3D studies and the production of clean presentation graphics, from cartoony diagrams to full rendered scenes (with the right plugins). Sketchup excels particularly at material mapping, which is much more intuitive than other 3D software. The way it handles material and texture also makes it an excellent tool for creating photorealistic renderings and virtual reality walk-throughs.
February 24, 2020

Great for 3D modeling of dams!

We use SketchUp for building our 3D models of new and existing dams. It’s used in the final stage of building our 3D dam models, where we put all the individual pieces of the dam together and organize and line everything up in coordinate space. It is used across multiple offices in the firm for many different applications related to 3D modeling and dam engineering.
  • Organization.
  • Ease of use.
  • Not very detailed.
  • Drawing can be finicky.
SketchUp is well suited for pretty much anything related to engineering, whether it be civil, mechanical, etc. It’s particularly useful in the civil/construction industry for design and modeling of features you otherwise wouldn’t be able to see in 3D space. Although it’s multi-talented, SketchUp shouldn’t be used for anything that requires extreme precision.
December 11, 2019

A Must-Have Product for any Designer

SketchUp creates comprehensive, organized, responsive models used to generate line drawings, general marketing content, and an assortment of renderings with the help of 3rd party crowd-sourced tools.
  • Quick product creation with use of components, grouping, and the unique hide rest of model tool
  • Great Maxwell add-on application to create photo-realistic renderings
  • Some sudden application shutdowns make auto-save an important feature to turn on
  • Complex warehouse models greatly reduces the speed of the model. In some cases, this makes the model unusable
Well-suited for manufacturers, architectural firms, design build firms and contractors. It may not be appropriate for any type of engineering firm due to the requirements for them to be very precise.
December 06, 2019

SketchUp: the people's 3D modeler

We use SketchUp as our main visualization and 3D modeler. We build 3d models and then use V-Ray or other rendering methods for client presentations and internal study. It is our 3D solution when the major design is being done in 2D software such as AutoCAD. That about sums it up.
  • Quick modeling of simple shapes
  • Easy visualization of spaces
  • Easy walk-through animations
  • Good interface with other software
  • Modeling complex geometries
  • Better ability to set tolerances
  • Snapping feature could be vastly improved
SketchUp is good for simple visualizations and material, or to finish mapping for the purpose of 3D rendering. If we have a space that we must quickly analyze in 3D we are typically using it and will charge the client as appropriate for some of the advanced functionality such as photorealistic rendering.
February 25, 2020

SketchUp 3D modeling software

The design department is using SketchUp 3. It's a great and easy CAD software.
  • You can create different types of 3D models, from architectural sketches, as it is widely used, to furniture, toys, mechanical parts, that is, whatever you want.
  • I don’t have anything to complain about SketchUp 3D, is a straightforward software that everyone can learn.
With SketchUp 3D, we can clearly and simply, with well-defined and developed tools, and the SketchUp 3D library, the software provides an incredible response to commands. And with that, we can quickly create different shapes and volumes.
Like the physical model, always used in architecture, 3D modeling allows us to advance in terms of time and precision, with materiality and spatiality that no two-dimensional design would allow.
January 30, 2020

User-friendly and quick 3d rendering tool

SketchUp is used for various purposes in our architectural office, but mostly for 3d rendering to visualize a space. It is a great tool that is easy and enjoyable to use.
  • User-friendly.
  • It's easy to make 3d shapes and design buildings.
  • It's sometimes tricky when lines don't connect.
It's well suited for all types of design. Interiors, exteriors, conceptual, etc.
July 02, 2019

SketchUp Review

It is being used across the whole organization, but ks primarily used as a tool in our design department's workflow.
  • Extremely rapid modeling.
  • It's simple to learn, understand, and use.
  • The floating licensing easy to use.
  • No real performance improvements in recent years.
  • No Microsoft SharePoint/OneDrive integrations.
  • The present and past few releases have had severe performance issues on high-end systems.
SketchUp is well suited for workflows that require rapid creation and iterations of designs. It is not well suited as an actual BIM tool on its own.
Anthony Pope, RA, NCARB | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 30, 2019

A Case for SketchUp

SketchUp is the primary design tool used in my practice. I have over 30 years of experience with BIM software including Microstation, Vectorworks, Architrion, Archicad and the original Revit product. I have found SketchUp to simply be the fastest means to a product end. My practice develops shipping container homes and I use the software to design every aspect of the building, furniture, equipment, even the brochures used to describe our work. The price of the software and the ease of training has allowed us to get our clients engaged and using it. Our consultants use the free viewer version to see our design intents.
  • Conceptual studies, master planning, massing studies are fast, ideas can be rapidly evaluated.
  • Does not require significant ram or graphics card enhancements.
  • License cost is dramatically lower meaning more staff using the software at the same time.
  • Ability to import Revit files and libraries.
  • Ability to export true curved vector linework. There are some workarounds, needs to be refined.
  • Create an OPEN MAPS connection. Since the split from Google, the source for high-quality aerials is limited.
  • Ability to dock all menus to the master window on a Mac
  • Ability to develop dockable menu trays on a Mac
SketchUp is well suited for pre-planning, conceptual design, and other modeling style work. It is an excellent tool for creating objects that are too complex to develop with a BIM type software. The learning curve is much shorter than specialized products such as Rhino and Formz and can replicate much of these with capabilities with various plugins from other users and companies. SketchUp is not a BIM platform and must be used with Layout to develop printed drawings. Layout has its own sets of rules and these are very basic at this time. A more robust overhaul of Layout would be great.
Read Anthony Pope, RA, NCARB's full review
Marcos Gasc | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 20, 2019

The Most User-Friendly 3D Modeling Software

SketchUp is able to provide quick 3-dimensional ideas that can be used to help further conceptualize an idea from paper to reality. It's primarily used by 3D designers and architects at my small company. I generally saw it being used in early planning stages, occasionally being used in-depth through the end of a project.
  • 3D modeling.
  • Spatial planning.
  • Visualizations.
  • Online tutorials from beginner to advanced level.
  • More plugins.
SketchUp is amazingly user-friendly, which as a result, I find myself often recommending it to friends, colleagues, and even clients who are curious about 3D modeling for themselves. Unfortunately, since CAD isn't incorporated, I wouldn't recommend it to my more serious architectural counterparts looking to extrapolate details like line weights or sectional information for architectural drawings, like plans, elevations, and sections.
Read Marcos Gasc's full review
Leandro Lujan | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2019

SketchUp Review

SketchUp is one of the tools we use to generate quick concepts that require fast representations. I mostly use it during concept and schematic design phases where creativity is stronger than technical requirements. Typically we use Sketchup for architectural representations of interiors and exterior environments.
  • Easy import/export features with CAD files.
  • A very intuitive set of tools. Requires fewer operations to generate a solid volume than other software.
  • Instant feedback in sections and cut-throughs in modeling.
  • Basic tools are limited, I wish they'd have more features like a mirror function, chamfer or round edges function.
  • Backup copies for file crashes could be improved.
More appropriate if you need to sketch and represent something quick or for a small project. Not suited for large projects that require documentation.
Read Leandro Lujan's full review
Shawn Dehner | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 16, 2018

Why I use SketchUp & LayOut exclusively for Architectural Design Work

I use SketchUp Pro and its associated 2D construction documentation software LayOut to build house plans for clients. I do work for clients locally and across the US and Canada. In all cases the SketchUp software is crucial for developing models that can then be used to build plans for printing.
  • The 3D modeling capabilities of SketchUp are superb.
  • SketchUp has a large community of professionals and enthusiasts that share component models. These can be useful for quickly developing working 3D models.
  • Rendering is limited. Photo-realistic images are not possible using SketchUp alone.
  • Unlike traditional architectural software SketchUp is not automated. You need to understand code to a high degree in order to be able to draw models correctly.
  • More development of the software would be nice.
Any type of design work - from architecture to furniture design, etc.
Read Shawn Dehner's full review
Alexander Palma Ibarra | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 13, 2018

Easy and fast design with SketchUp.

We use this software in the company in the engineering department. This excellent program allows us to conceptualize and model 3D images of buildings, cars, people and any other object that we are required to project. In addition, the program includes a gallery of objects, textures, and images that are very useful in working the designs. SketchUp is a program internationally recognized for its extensive capabilities to make 3D designs easily, and it is one of the most popular programs used by architects, engineers, industrial designers, among others.
  • You can customize it with plugins to have functions specifically designed for your work area
  • Its main feature is to be able to make 3D designs in a simple way.
  • This tool allows integrating Google Maps designs, using the 3D building layer.
  • The payment method does not work as well in some operating systems.
  • SketchUp does not produce very realistic results compared to other similar tools.
  • You cannot execute very complicated 3D design tasks.
It is easier to learn than AutoCAD, and it can do practically everything that could be done with AutoCAD. It can be customized with add-ons to have functions specifically designed for your work area. Best of all, it has a free version that can be combined with the pro version using the add-ons mentioned above. And the Pro version is undoubtedly much cheaper compared to other software of its kind.
Read Alexander Palma Ibarra's full review
Celine Moumne | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 07, 2019

Easy, simple, gets the job done.

We use SketchUp for EVERYTHING! we love it! We can show clients everything, from design concepts to space planning! It's Very user-friendly and I recommend it to everyone!

There are plenty of plugins one can use to achieve the look they're going for and there's no limit to this program. I learn something new everyday.
  • Space planning
  • Design concepts
  • User-friendly
  • you should make a way we can edit objects by using points, not just the edges.
  • It is hard to make spheres.
I always advise my colleague to use SketchUp.
Read Celine Moumne's full review
February 06, 2019

SketchUp & LayOut are like peas and carrots!

We are a small company that relies heavily on the documentation of others (architects, engineers, trades) to complete quality, custom projects for both Residential and Commercial clients. As the sole Designer, I use SketchUp to supplement these documents or create entire sets, with information that clearly communicates design intent. While I'm the only employee using Trimble programs, the documentation and drawings that result are used daily on projects by our estimators, project managers, and trade partners/installers. SketchUp has allowed our company to offer a cost-effective way to ensure details of the design are being considered early and often, even when the original plans are less than complete.
  • Quickly exploring solutions in 3D: We get a lot of "what if" and "what would that look like" questions. While hand-sketching and hand-drafting can be fairly quick, SketchUp allows me to quickly create 3D and 2D views of a detail or solution, change dimensions and materials in a flash, and show a client or installer the plan in minutes.
  • Creating professional design documents in LayOut: Projects of any scale need good documentation. Using a combination of SketchUp and LayOut, I can create a Design Intent Set, plans for permitting, a set for mechanical trades to mark-up, etc. Having clear, appropriately-scaled drawings with dimensions or notations is a must, and we don't always have the time or budget to get an architect involved!
  • Using live files to guide discussions: Not all clients are "visual" people, so opening their model and orbiting around their space in real time has been extremely helpful. Clients and trades enjoy the perspective views so much that we often include them in the full-sized drawing sets to give a good "overall" view of the project intent. For complex or tight spaces, sometimes un-rendered plans and elevations just aren't enough!
  • I'd love if LayOut and SketchUp used the same nomenclature for color selection. If I'm poche-ing a wall in M04 in SketchUp, I don't want to have to track that color down in terms of percentages in LayOut to have some line work match.
  • 3D Warehouse needs Marie Kondo to tidy it up. The search function is rough and the amount of 2D crap posing as 3D modeling is annoying. It's come a long way, but getting some major brands to upload their items would be great, especially if there was an easy way to tell the difference between a professionally modeled piece and a beginner just trying to replicate without proper dims, etc!
  • Small request - and yes, I know I can program commands manually - but groups are SO important to a happy model that control + G should be a standard command to group selected geometry!
I've found that SketchUp is great for just about any modeling need and even quite a bit of drafting. I don't recommend it for photorealistic rendering, though I've yet to mess around with more than the >$100 plugins. I have yet to run into a document that cannot be created in LayOut, but the complex text is difficult (tables/tabs, etc) to edit.
February 25, 2019

SketchUp Review

It is being used by the Design Department.
  • 3D Modeling.
  • Compatible with a lot of rendering programs.
  • Easy to export and import 2D graphics.
  • Curving/organic structures.
SketchUp is suited for most scenarios, but if you want a more organic structure, it's less appropriate.
February 11, 2019

SketchUp is a great beginner software with limitations for larger and more precise projects.

I use SketchUp for quickly developing 3D models of ideas. It has been useful for demonstrating machine aspects, home projects, and conveying the general idea for the customer.
  • Easy to pick up and use.
  • Intuitive buttons and menus for tools.
  • 3D that is available to anyone.
  • Measurements are limited.
  • Great if including a renderer application.
  • More file export options.
SketchUp is great as an introduction to 3D for education, home projects and a very useful tool for how easy it is. Higher level CAD systems (such as CATIA or SOLIDWORKS or NX) are needed for professional applications.

About SketchUp

SketchUp is 3D modeling software with an emphasis on usability. SketchUp is a Trimble product.

SketchUp Technical Details