Likelihood to Recommend
We create the resource stack with AWS CloudFormation. We can manage all the resources as a bundle. We can update the entire stack by updating the AWS CloudFormation template. It is very easy to delete the entire resource with AWS CloudFormation. If we do those resource creations and manage them manually, then we need to do lots of manual involvements. When we use AWS CloudFormation, we can reduce time to create and manage resources.
Chef is a fantastic tool for automating software deployments that aren't able to be containerized. It's more developer-oriented than its other competitors and thus allows you to do more with it. The Chef Infra Server software is rock-solid and has been extremely stable in our experience. I would definitely recommend its use if you're looking for an automation framework. And it also offers InSpec which is a very good tool for testing your infrastructure to ensure it deployed as intended.
Engineer in Information TechnologyFinancial Services Company, 10,001+ employees
- Infrastructure Provisioning
- Stack Visibility
- Auto Rollback
- Console for History and Tracking
- Better Integration with AWS Services
- Chef is great at deploying code to both small and large groups of servers.
- We use chef to standup new servers as well as deploy updated code to existing servers and it does this very well.
- Being able to make a change and have it push manually or automatically to any subset of servers has changed the landscape of how our IT teams operate.
Administrator in Information TechnologyComputer Software Company, 201-500 employees
- Better examples
- There are oddities with the yaml aspects of it, that make it a bit cumbersome
- A template for use cases that are easily fillable - or just some place to start.
Employee in Information TechnologyInformation Technology & Services Company, 1001-5000 employees
- Chef could do a better job with integration with other DevOps tools. Our company relies on Jenkins and Ansible, which took some development and convincing for plug-ins to be created/available.
- It would be nice if kitchen didn't only have a vagrant/virtual-box prerequisite. Our company one day stop allowing virtual-box to run without special privileges, and that caused a lot of issues for people trying to do kitchen tests.
- Chef could use more practice materials for the advanced certification badges. There was not a lot of guidance in what to study or examples of certain topics.
Engineer in Information TechnologyHospital & Health Care Company, 10,001+ employees
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Chef Infra 9.4
Based on 10 answers
It loads quick enough for basically all our systems. Because we have this for local dev environments, speed isn't really a big issue here. Yes, depending on the system, sometimes it does take a relatively long time, but it's not an issue for me. One thing that is annoying is that if I want to make a small change to a cookbook and re-run the Chef client, I can't just make the change in the cache and run it. I have to do the whole process of updating the server.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Chef Infra 7.0
Based on 5 answers
Support for Chef is easily available for fee or through the open source community as most the issues you will face will have been addressed through the Chef developer community forums. The documentation for Chef is moderate to great and easily readable.
Analyst in Information TechnologyAirlines/Aviation Company, 51-200 employees
AWS CloudFormation has more features and robustness. It is suited for professional projects since it provides stability and a wide variety of options for configurations. These include not only dividing stacks by specific code changes, but also in regions. This allows more granularity and control over all stacks. If you want to delete them all just by a region, you can do it.
We considered the three leading competitors in the field: Chef, Puppet and Ansible. Ansible is a very strong competitor and has a nice degree of flexibility in that it does not require a client install. Instead the configuration is delivered by SSH which is very simple. Puppet seems like it has fallen off the pace of the competition and lacked the strong community offered by Chef. We chose Chef because of the strong support by the company and the dynamic and deep community support.
Return on Investment
- Reduced AWS resource creation time
- Reduced existing AWS resource management time
- Reduced manual involvements on AWS resource creation
- Better AWS CloudFormation improve the log mechanism
- Chef is a good tool for baselining servers. It will be a good ROI when there are huge number of servers. For less number of servers maintaining a master will be an over head.
- One good ROI will be that the Operations Team also gets into agile and DevOps methodologies. Operational teams can start writing scripts/automations to keep their infra more stable and their application stack more reliable.
- Implementation of Chef eliminates the manual mode of doing things and everyone aligns to automation mind set. It helps in change of culture.
Engineer in EngineeringComputer Software Company, 1001-5000 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
AWS CloudFormation Editions & Modules
|Free Tier - 1,000 Handler Operations per Month per Account||$0.00|
- per handler operation
Additional Pricing DetailsThere is no additional charge for using AWS CloudFormation with resource providers in the following namespaces: AWS::*, Alexa::*, and Custom::*. In this case you pay for AWS resources (such as Amazon EC2 instances, Elastic Load Balancing load balancers, etc.) created using AWS CloudFormation as if you created them manually. You only pay for what you use, as you use it; there are no minimum fees and no required upfront commitments. When you use resource providers with AWS CloudFormation outside the namespaces mentioned above, you incur charges per handler operation. Handler operations are create, update, delete, read, or list actions on a resource.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Chef Infra Editions & Modules