Likelihood to Recommend
Omnigraffle is great for documentation, mapping, flowcharting, and other technical diagramming scenarios. It's simple enough to bang out a quick illustration and powerful enough to build complex blueprints for complicated technical systems. If you need cross-platform compatibility, though, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. If you want complex integration with data sources (ala Visio's SQL Server integration for shape metadata), OmniGraffle also falls short — but those scenarios are few and far between in my experience.
- OmniGraffle is fairly simple to use, but the one thing I think it does best is working with curved lines, particularly if you are using some of the available arc templates. Drop an arc onto your page, then tell it the dimensions it needs to be, and viola! Done. Manipulating the arcs is as simple as clicking and dragging offset points.
- OmniGraffle has also done an excellent job in stirring up the creative minds of many people who create templates and tools to work with OmniGraffle (not that Microsoft hasn't done so either), and managed to get the bulk of those into well organized repositories.
- What it all boils down to for me is: it just works. One doesn't need to have a computer science degree to work with it either. It is as simple or complex as you want it to be.
Engineer in Information TechnologyHospital & Health Care Company, 1001-5000 employees
- There could be more scaffolding to support new users in getting to know how to best use all of the many features and tools it provides.
- There could be more support for printing. Many of our process flows extend beyond just one page, and OmniGraffle is rather finicky about printing multipage documents.
- We could use this tool more effectively if there was the ability to have real-time team collaboration. Document handoffs can be a point of missed communication, so it’d be great if we could ever have the option of working together in the same place at the same time.
Professional in Research & DevelopmentEducation Management Company, 51-200 employees
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 1 answer
Based on 1 answer
OmniGraffle is an excellent application for chart and diagrams development. Been using it for a while now and it's a multiple platform application.
Return on Investment
- Instrumental in smoothly transitioning a 3rd party development team from designs to requirements.
- Across cultures, US, Chinese, and Icelandic, OmniGraffle allowed our teams to speak the same language.
- The depth of the software make some elements that are useful less accessible than they should be.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?