Highly recommend!!

August 01, 2019

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of draw.io, and make your voice heard!

Up to 10 Users

$5

Up to 20 Users

$11

Up to 50 Users

What is draw.io?

draw.io is an online diagramming tool with integrations with Jira, Google, and Confluence available free online or at cost depending on integration chosen.

draw.io Technical Details

What is draw.io?

What is draw.io's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.2.

Who uses draw.io?

The most common users of draw.io are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Draw.io is used in the development team of the IT service department in my organisation to diagram software and all its related concepts such as database entity-relationship diagrams, system component diagrams, network diagrams, etc. It is a convenient, free tool with integration to Google Drive and can be used in a browser or as a downloaded app. In my organisation it has replaced Visio - a Microsoft Office product that the powers to be don't want to pay for anymore.
  • Easily produces good quality diagrams
  • Has a rich set of predefined shapes for all sorts of different diagramming needs
  • Allows grouping of shapes
  • Smart connectors
  • Integrates with Google Drive
  • Conveniently exports to a variety of formats
  • Allows for collaborative development of diagrams
  • Opening an existing diagram, the view is sometimes in a weird spot - zoomed in on blank space or something - so it can be disconcerting
  • Z order of shapes can be tricky to manage
This is a great free product, it has a rich set of features and functionality and I think it actually rivals commercial products like Microsoft Visio superbly. It is most suited to diagramming things like floor plans, systems, databases, electronics, networks, etc, but there really isn't a limit to what you can do with it. I have used it for both work and personal use. It helped me design the landscaping plan for my yard around my house really well. I was able to upload a picture of my house's floor plan as a basis and diagram around that.
I've been using draw.io for a couple of years now and it is a great (and completely free) alternative for Microsoft Visio. It has a good range of native stencils, such as AWS, Azure, Cisco, Citrix, GCP, Office, Veeam, VMware and many others. Draw.io is very intuitive and easy to use and requires no client installation, you can use it completely from its web interface. It's very useful to create diagrams and architecture designs. Since I started using it, it was also spread to other colleagues on my team and to my management.
  • A very good and friendly interface - easy to use since first time use.
  • It's free.
  • Integration to Google Drive, OneDrive, Drop Box, GitHub and GitLab repositories.
  • Doesn't require client installation - It's completely web-based.
  • Not so complete as Visio, it lacks a few advanced features.
It's very suitable to most part of demands, from small to large companies and also for studying and personal use, as it is completely free. It is a very good alternative to Visio that allows you to create basic diagrams with no cost and very easily. It has some native stencils/shapes to various technologies. In my case Veeam, VMware, Cisco, Azure and Citrix are the most useful. Of course it is not so complete as MS Visio, so if you need more advanced features you can switch to it.
Draw.io is one of the most functionally useful products out there. Completely free, the product gives you the ability to quickly build flowcharts, workflows, wireframes, and prototypes to get your point across. As product lead, I've personally used draw.io for all the use cases mentioned above. It has helped us design user experience on our platform without breaking the bank.
  • It's free to use.
  • It integrates with Google drive so your work autosaves with every change.
  • It's extremely user-friendly and easy to pick up.
  • As you work in a browser, the app seems to lag if you work on it for a while.
  • The app appears to glitch from time to time if you work for longer periods of time, making you lose some of your work of you're not careful.
  • Exporting your work in the form you would like can be challenging. You need to pay close attention to the previews and page layouts to make sure your work comes out the way you envision it.
If you have small budgets and need to quickly create prototypes or flowcharts, draw.io is perfect for you. It's free, easy to use and user-friendly. Even if you're a beginner and have no design skills, the application is intuitive and has a simple learning curve making it extremely easy to pick up and use.
March 23, 2020

Highly recommend!!

Draw.io is a fantastic tool to assist in any diagrams, from network diagrams through to rack setups, even through to use case diagrams! This ensures easy communication and is hugely beneficial for documentation.
  • Flow charts.
  • Network diagrams.
  • Rack mock diagrams.
  • Increase library image types.
  • Auto save ability.
  • Further automation for networking diagrams (e.g. cable runs).
Those who need to create professional diagrams for low cost, without having to use proprietary software, allowing for ability for any users to edit.
I haven’t had any need for support.
January 29, 2020

Simple drawing program

I use draw.io to make diagrams because of how simple it is to use. If I need to do a presentation, this is the easiest way to make a diagram. It is also perfect for making things like flow charts to show a process. It's free, which is why I use it.
  • Draw.io is free!
  • Draw.io is super simple to use, which means basically anyone can understand how to use it.
  • It can be slow at times
  • Not enough tools to make super complex things
I would recommend draw.io to anyone who is needing to make any flow chart or anything that you want to map out with boxes or ovals connected with lines or arrows. If you are also on a budget and need to do these sorts of things, then this is an excellent program to use.
The support for draw.io is pretty decent, considering it is a free website. I had a question one time when I was trying to do something, so I sent an email to their support email and got a response fairly quickly with an answer to my question. They also have some excellent support tools on their support website for helping you get more familiar with their program, and I found that very helpful.
Mauro García Aurelio | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my particular case, from the product area of our company, I am the only one who uses the software. I usually make different graphs, but most of all flowcharts to describe our processes, both internal, and many times to present to our customers. I found in Draw.io a simple but very powerful solution that allows me to perform high-quality work in a short time.
  • Integration with Google Drive.
  • Friendly interface.
  • Sometimes it is a bit slow.
Draw.io allows you to quickly and easily make a large number of graphics such as flowcharts, networks, UMLs, etc. It allows working in collaboration with other users and is integrated with Google Drive.
Tyler Wright | TrustRadius Reviewer
A few people in my organization are using draw.io for creating and editing various diagrams. For me personally, I absolutely love draw.io. draw.io lets me send diagrams to others who may or may not have Visio or some other paid for diagramming software. In addition, draw.io is free, has great content (icons and templates), plus, I can log on to any machine and open my document with just a basic web browser!
  • draw.io is free to use! No more spending loads of money for licenses of diagramming applications.
  • draw.io is web based - no installation necessary! Due to this, your diagrams become very portable.
  • draw.io is always adding to their application; new features, new icons, etc.
  • Honestly, I can't come up with any cons.
draw.io is well suited for network diagrams, floor plans, flowcharts, and decision charts. It is less appropriate if everyone at your office already has Visio and is satisfied with it or if you need measurement functionality (like Visio's tape measure).
We use draw.io to define user journeys and various flows for our design solutions as a part of the UX design team's efforts. It is dependant on the department's access to the tools and budgets allocated to them. Our office deals with graduate education and research, and we work with other departments to create a better experience for graduate students. We use draw.io to create the box flow solutions for the solutions for our design work on the website and marketing strategy fronts.
  • Multiple shapes are accommodated, making it a great tool for everyone.
  • A good Scratchpad feature to create boards with relevant shapes.
  • The basic design is not visually appealing.
  • There's no dark mode to work in the dark and be softer on the eyes.
This tool does exactly delivers what it is made for. It is primarily used for making flow charts, organizational diagrams, and process systems. They helped us put together a quick printable chart for the managerial leaders to look at and approve the plans. We also use it to create system organization ledgers to show a map of all the resources and their locations.
We didn't use their customer support much, but their FAQs seemed to answer all the major questions.
Richard Crane | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use draw.io to create complex process flows and system diagrams. I also use it for simple graphics for PowerPoint presentations. I'm definitely not a graphic artist, so draw.io works great when I need a simple graphic and I need it quick.
  • I love how easy it is to use. From the moment you launch, you have templates to choose from that make it even easier to create the type of diagram or process flow you're trying to make.
  • You don't need a tutorial or instruction manual to get started, especially if you're familiar with other similar software like Visio. Just drag and drop shapes onto the canvas and start your diagram.
  • Maybe the best part is that it's completely free and that I can use it with OneDrive, Google Docs, or Dropbox. I can share it with anyone and even collaborate if needed.
  • It's not completely robust like Visio is. I'm limited in the type and quantity of shapes I can use. But hey, it's free. And it works great.
  • Creating a swimlane process flow to show how different actors work together to complete a process was a little tough to figure out at first. But you can just look up quick "how to" instructions (hint - swimlanes are called containers, and you have to rotate them so they're horizontal rather than vertical - kind of a pain).
  • Adding special shapes and other graphics can slow down the speed of the application. However, I just try to keep it simple. If you're looking for something more robust, you'll probably be a little disappointed with draw.io.
Used this to create simple, yet effective process flows and system diagrams. If you need a lot of graphics or are trying to create more complex models, you might be better off with another tool. And if you've heard this is great for prototyping, wireframing, and design, I guess you could fumble around and try to accomplish that, but I can't imagine going through that headache. Use it for what it's intended for.
August 01, 2019

Ready, Set, Draw!

We use this tool for many different types of graphs, diagrams, tables and charts. It is very intuitive and because we can export vectors, that makes is easy to scale to any size without loss of quality. This is important when creating presentations. I've used it to create several flowcharts that show the steps involved in different processes. This has been very helpful for others to understand who is responsible for each step and how they can use the process to request different services.
  • Vector graphics can scale to any size without loss of quality
  • Alignment of different elements are easy to perform
  • It can import from many services including Dropbox, OneDrive, GitHub, Google Drive and Trello
  • The user interface is very intuitive
  • When very elaborate diagrams are needed, it lacks the amount of tools and customization needed
  • Since this is an online tool, it can freeze and that causes you to lose that work up to that point
  • Performance can lag with very complex diagrams
It's very easy to collaborate on the same file with team members and create simple concepts and flowcharts that you can use in the development process. It is also very handy for creating graphs and tables for presentations. Since this is a web application, we can use it anywhere, anytime and on any device; which provides great flexibility and accessibility. It also offers the functionality to save your work as you develop it, which is very helpful.
Jesse Bickel, MS - PMP | TrustRadius Reviewer
Draw.io is being used within our organization to embed diagrams and workflows within our company shared document repository. Our organization used Confluence and the connector to draw.io. All departments have access to this and use this on a daily bases. This helps keep not only information and documents in one place but editable within a page, a one-stop shop to see our workflows and diagrams as well.
  • Draw.io's ability to plug into other platforms makes it simple to have a single pane of glass operation when working your organization's documents and file system.
  • Draw.io is the refreshing approach to a very simple no-frills software that is easy to learn and get something out the door in minutes if need be.
  • Draw.io had a relatively deep repository of templates and examples to speed up delivery and prevent you from having to re-create the wheel.
  • One element that was hard to use was converting pre-existing drawings and workflows from Gliffy to Draw.io once our company made the change. While we were able to complete the migration, when going back we noticed, oftentimes, some formatting and dependencies did not make it or were not compatible.
  • While the template repository is vast, it has a heavy focus on network style maps. It would be ideal for added diversity in the templates with a focus on workflows just as much.
  • While the integrations are strong, the cloud collaborative environment could still use some work. While you can save and edit in the cloud. Group editing and live dynamic sharing/editing similar to Microsoft office are still missing.
  • Draw.io could add some version control functionality for ease of rollback, auditing, & comparison.
Draw.io is perfect for wide company distribution. There is not the deep complex training that typically comes with using something like Microsoft Visio or other platforms. This is easy to use, understand, and distribute.
We have not uses it that often. The product does not seem to encounter issues.
Pankaj Bhowmik | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my group, we use draw.io vastly for drawing flowcharts, diagram, or illustrations. We further use these drawing to write papers and projects. This tool is a smart choice for users since it is free to use. Moreover, there are some paid drawing-software and there are some people who got used to those. Besides these guys, most of us in the dept use draw.io. My group consists of researchers and we have no collaboration in terms of business. In my opinion, there should not be significant objections regarding the draw.io. Yes, security might be a concern for business purpose where they may claim that their confidential design could be on the web portal.
  • This is a fully online dependent tool, easy to use, and free. At the same time, we can share the design with the people in a group. This feature gives a good match for teamwork.
  • This tool has a large collection of shapes. These shapes are possible to organize easily. If a high level of perfection is required, then it can be controlled by placing proper (x,y) coordinate or rotating by a specific angle.
  • You can have multiple pages on one webpage. It makes easier to edit, modify and update your file which is helpful to track different versions and projects (if you use draw.io a lot).
  • This is a great tool for researchers. Draw.io and Overleaf help to write research papers. When a PDF format of the image is exported, it gives good drawing quality.
  • This online tool is more flexible and user-friendly compared to other expensive software.
  • The tool is not efficient for adding 3D effect on the shapes.
  • The drawing quality degrades when JPG or PNG image formats are downloaded. The SVF format also has some problems for universal use. Hence, when you use Microsoft Word and try to put in an image, you might have to sacrifice image quality.
  • It is limited to shapes only, it would be nice to have a graph option.
  • The online integration of with Overleaf could be better.
Well suited scenarios:
  • Flowcharts
  • Shape drawings
  • Figures for research papers
  • PowerPoint presentations

Less suited scenarios:
  • The use of JPG format figures
  • Confidential figures used for business purpose
  • Graphs
February 02, 2019

Draw.IO: Easy to Use

Michael Jipping | TrustRadius Reviewer
Draw.IO is being used as a diagram tool as needed to detail the infrastructure, network, security, and workflows for solution design and implementation. It is currently being used as an option to Visio Studio. Draw.IO provides a simple method for designing and editing diagrams used in the documentation process.
  • Draw.IO provides an easy method for manipulating and displaying data flows via its objects/shapes connectors. Ie. When you want the flow arrow to go in a certain direction or make a specific angle, it provides an easy to use interface.
  • Allows for multiple file formats you can export. (PDF , XML, VSDX, etc).
  • Allows for multiple custom objects to import (Various network and server Icons).
  • None to date, but could possibly allow for collaboration across a dispersed team.
Great tool to use for diagramming purposes. May not be the best fit if a software requirement is native Visio.
Draw.io is being used in my organization as a replacement for something like Visio that lives in the cloud. By this I mean creating things like flowcharts, entity relationship diagrams, etc. We're also evaluating it as a potential replacement for Xmind for creating sitemaps and sharing them with clients without requiring them to download any new software.
  • Draw.io offers a lot of shapes and customizability of how the diagrams are laid out. We've been able to create a lot of different things with it, and have barely scratched the surface of the sorts of things that we could do.
  • Draw.io is fairly intuitive in the way that you draw shapes and connect shapes together, I was able to figure it out without a tutorial.
  • Draw.io is fast and performant for me compared with some of the alternatives.
  • Connecting shapes together in slightly less common ways isn't quite as intuitive and took some effort to figure out.
  • It would be nice if the shapes could be auto-positioned and auto-sized accordingly to fit the contents and keep the diagram as neat and tidy as possible.
If you need to create a diagram in the cloud, I haven't found a better tool yet. If you need further customizability or export options not offered, then a larger tool might make more sense, but wherever Draw.io can fit in, I think it's the ideal solution.
January 17, 2019

Good Tool Draw.io

Erick de Leon Ponciano | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used by different areas to document processes, perform flow diagrams, as well as for simple plans.
  • Mobility allows you to make your projects, leave them in the cloud, and when you revisit it on another device your work is there, ready to continue.
  • If you want to share the projects, there are multiple options and it is not necessary for the person receiving the content to have a platform to see it.
  • Integration with browsers allows you to work in an online environment with great flexibility through Chrome.
  • Improve the shapes, other similar products have better options in this area.
  • Incorporate predesigned templates, this is attractive to continue developing content.
It's great for quick jobs (college jobs, house plans or office plans) and if you want to send by the cloud.

It is not so good if you want to share content in a corporate network, for projects or for very complex flowcharts.
We are using draw.io mainly for creating user flows as part of the product development / design process. It helps us a lot to easily draw the flows we need and collaborate with the team on that file. It's very intuitive and easy to use.
  • It's great for drawing user flows and prototypes.
  • Great for collaborating with the team.
  • When you are not using their stand-alone app and get invited to the draw.io file with a link, then it sometimes gets hard to open the file.
Great for team collaboration when you need to create and share visual flows, prototypes, mindmaps, etc.
I use draw.io to plan and design user flows through our product. It allows for easy to use diagrams and flow charting to depict the journey a user takes through our application. I use the free program which is lightweight and easy to use. I really like the unlimited canvas and being able to save common symbols
  • Diagramming user flows using shapes and arrows
  • Easily exportable outpouts
  • Ready-to-use, BPMN library
  • Allow for multiple pages
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Crisper icons in User Interface
This is a great product for anyone needing to brainstorm or diagram processes. I use it to design a user's path through my application. Draw.io is easy-to-use and quick to get started. It's a great service that I'm glad I found. It's akin to Google Drawing or PowerPoint/Keynote if you're familiar with those services.
Matt Heerema | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our web design agency uses Draw.io to create complex information architecture, site map, and spec requirements for websites. It is an easy to use, easy to share, clear set of tools that allows us to rapidly create and share these artifacts with our clients, get their commentary, make changes, and finalize sign-off on the most important part of any web design project: the site structure.
  • Rapid mind-mapping: draw.io's tools are simple to use, minimizing time between thought and action
  • Cloud-based sharing: no need to hunt for the right export settings to share documents with a client
  • Google Suite / Drive integration: Draw.io files live alongside all our other project documentation inside of Google Drive.
  • Interface is pretty spartan, which can be a strength, but better utilization of Google's design standard could lead to a cleaner interface, making it more fun to use.
  • Better tools to reflow connected elements in a comprehensible way would be very handy.
Good for: Rapid mind mapping, prototyping, site mapping, org charts are our primary usage and what this is really well suited for.

Less good: complex drafting, room layouts, detailed physical layout emulating.