draw.io is an online diagramming tool with integrations with Jira, Google, and Confluence available free online or at cost depending on integration chosen.A simple and complete solution at a great price.Draw.io is being used in my organization as a replacement for something like Visio that lives in the cloud. By this I mean creating things like flowcharts, entity relationship diagrams, etc. We're also evaluating it as a potential replacement for XMind for creating sitemaps and sharing them with clients without requiring them to download any new software.,Draw.io offers a lot of shapes and customizability of how the diagrams are laid out. We've been able to create a lot of different things with it, and have barely scratched the surface of the sorts of things that we could do. Draw.io is fairly intuitive in the way that you draw shapes and connect shapes together, I was able to figure it out without a tutorial. Draw.io is fast and performant for me compared with some of the alternatives.,Connecting shapes together in slightly less common ways isn't quite as intuitive and took some effort to figure out. It would be nice if the shapes could be auto-positioned and auto-sized accordingly to fit the contents and keep the diagram as neat and tidy as possible.,10,Draw.io has given us a free place to create basic diagrams, and more options for upgrading in the future when we need more, so it saves a bit of money in that regard. Draw.io allows us to share diagrams with our clients without the burden of making them install new software, thus increasing client happiness and making it more likely we'll get return business.,Lucidchart, Xmind, Microsoft Visio and MindMeister,Xmind, MindMeister, IntelliJ IDEA, IntelliJ WebStorm, PhpStorm, GitHub, Slack, GoToMeetingSuper Easy, Super Fast, and Super FreeI use draw.io to create complex process flows and system diagrams. I also use it for simple graphics for PowerPoint presentations. I'm definitely not a graphic artist, so draw.io works great when I need a simple graphic and I need it quick.,I love how easy it is to use. From the moment you launch, you have templates to choose from that make it even easier to create the type of diagram or process flow you're trying to make. You don't need a tutorial or instruction manual to get started, especially if you're familiar with other similar software like Visio. Just drag and drop shapes onto the canvas and start your diagram. Maybe the best part is that it's completely free and that I can use it with OneDrive, Google Docs, or Dropbox. I can share it with anyone and even collaborate if needed.,It's not completely robust like Visio is. I'm limited in the type and quantity of shapes I can use. But hey, it's free. And it works great. Creating a swimlane process flow to show how different actors work together to complete a process was a little tough to figure out at first. But you can just look up quick "how to" instructions (hint - swimlanes are called containers, and you have to rotate them so they're horizontal rather than vertical - kind of a pain). Adding special shapes and other graphics can slow down the speed of the application. However, I just try to keep it simple. If you're looking for something more robust, you'll probably be a little disappointed with draw.io.,10,It's free and easy to use. No big investment on time or resources. I didn't have anything to lose in trying it. Collaboration is easy. Very handy when you need something done quick and fast. Creating something visual is often the best way to convey ideas and information. I save lots of time with my stakeholders by creating drawings in draw.io.,OmniGraffle, Microsoft Visio and Sketch,Xmind, Sketch, Adobe CaptivateRemember MS Paint? Draw.io is for adults in the workplace. It's that easy. Diagram & Workflows with ease.Draw.io is being used within our organization to embed diagrams and workflows within our company shared document repository. Our organization used Confluence and the connector to draw.io. All departments have access to this and use this on a daily bases. This helps keep not only information and documents in one place but editable within a page, a one-stop shop to see our workflows and diagrams as well.,Draw.io's ability to plug into other platforms makes it simple to have a single pane of glass operation when working your organization's documents and file system. Draw.io is the refreshing approach to a very simple no-frills software that is easy to learn and get something out the door in minutes if need be. Draw.io had a relatively deep repository of templates and examples to speed up delivery and prevent you from having to re-create the wheel.,One element that was hard to use was converting pre-existing drawings and workflows from Gliffy to Draw.io once our company made the change. While we were able to complete the migration, when going back we noticed, oftentimes, some formatting and dependencies did not make it or were not compatible. While the template repository is vast, it has a heavy focus on network style maps. It would be ideal for added diversity in the templates with a focus on workflows just as much. While the integrations are strong, the cloud collaborative environment could still use some work. While you can save and edit in the cloud. Group editing and live dynamic sharing/editing similar to Microsoft office are still missing. Draw.io could add some version control functionality for ease of rollback, auditing, & comparison.,8,Our organization had a positive ROI migrating to Draw.io with simple cost savings over other products. We saved about 35% on our yearly "workflow, network diagram" software. Migration from Gliffy was easy, but did come with some administrative overhead. Our IT team needed to go back through and check most diagrams for errors. Our office saves a substantial amount of administrative overhead utilizing some of the templates provided within Draw.io.,,Atlassian Confluence, Amazon Chime, Gliffy,No,8,No,When we had issues converting from gliffy to Draw.io, they helped us complete the migration with a little re-work as possible.draw.io - A smart tool for drawingIn my group, we use draw.io vastly for drawing flowcharts, diagram, or illustrations. We further use these drawing to write papers and projects. This tool is a smart choice for users since it is free to use. Moreover, there are some paid drawing-software and there are some people who got used to those. Besides these guys, most of us in the dept use draw.io. My group consists of researchers and we have no collaboration in terms of business. In my opinion, there should not be significant objections regarding the draw.io. Yes, security might be a concern for business purpose where they may claim that their confidential design could be on the web portal.,This is a fully online dependent tool, easy to use, and free. At the same time, we can share the design with the people in a group. This feature gives a good match for teamwork. This tool has a large collection of shapes. These shapes are possible to organize easily. If a high level of perfection is required, then it can be controlled by placing proper (x,y) coordinate or rotating by a specific angle. You can have multiple pages on one webpage. It makes easier to edit, modify and update your file which is helpful to track different versions and projects (if you use draw.io a lot). This is a great tool for researchers. Draw.io and Overleaf help to write research papers. When a PDF format of the image is exported, it gives good drawing quality. This online tool is more flexible and user-friendly compared to other expensive software.,The tool is not efficient for adding 3D effect on the shapes. The drawing quality degrades when JPG or PNG image formats are downloaded. The SVF format also has some problems for universal use. Hence, when you use Microsoft Word and try to put in an image, you might have to sacrifice image quality. It is limited to shapes only, it would be nice to have a graph option. The online integration of with Overleaf could be better.,9,I am not a business guy. For myself, the positive things are: I can draw figures easily. I can put them in PowerPoint with good resolution for presentations. Export them in a PDF format to put in latex which gives me the best illustration and clarity of my drawing. It is handy to use and it takes me a very short time to draw my required figures compared to other tools.,Microsoft Visio and Microsoft Office 2016,Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office 2016Draw.IO: Easy to UseDraw.IO is being used as a diagram tool as needed to detail the infrastructure, network, security, and workflows for solution design and implementation. It is currently being used as an option to Visio Studio. Draw.IO provides a simple method for designing and editing diagrams used in the documentation process.,Draw.IO provides an easy method for manipulating and displaying data flows via its objects/shapes connectors. Ie. When you want the flow arrow to go in a certain direction or make a specific angle, it provides an easy to use interface. Allows for multiple file formats you can export. (PDF , XML, VSDX, etc). Allows for multiple custom objects to import (Various network and server Icons).,None to date, but could possibly allow for collaboration across a dispersed team.,10,Great ROI in the manner of time spent. A quick easy tool that helps you stay productive and efficient.,Microsoft Visio,MySQL, Amazon Relational Database Service, Azure SQL Database
draw.io

draw.io Reviews

draw.io
Filter 14 vetted draw.io reviews and ratings

Ben McClure profile photo
February 01, 2019

draw.io Review: "A simple and complete solution at a great price."

Draw.io is being used in my organization as a replacement for something like Visio that lives in the cloud. By this I mean creating things like flowcharts, entity relationship diagrams, etc. We're also evaluating it as a potential replacement for Xmind for creating sitemaps and sharing them with clients without requiring them to download any new software.
  • Draw.io offers a lot of shapes and customizability of how the diagrams are laid out. We've been able to create a lot of different things with it, and have barely scratched the surface of the sorts of things that we could do.
  • Draw.io is fairly intuitive in the way that you draw shapes and connect shapes together, I was able to figure it out without a tutorial.
  • Draw.io is fast and performant for me compared with some of the alternatives.
  • Connecting shapes together in slightly less common ways isn't quite as intuitive and took some effort to figure out.
  • It would be nice if the shapes could be auto-positioned and auto-sized accordingly to fit the contents and keep the diagram as neat and tidy as possible.
If you need to create a diagram in the cloud, I haven't found a better tool yet. If you need further customizability or export options not offered, then a larger tool might make more sense, but wherever Draw.io can fit in, I think it's the ideal solution.
Read Ben McClure's full review
Richard Crane profile photo
January 01, 2019

draw.io Review: "Super Easy, Super Fast, and Super Free"

• I love how easy it is to use. From the moment you launch, you have templates to choose from that make it even easier to create the type of diagram or process flow you're trying to make.
  • You don't need a tutorial or instruction manual to get started, especially if you're familiar with other similar software like Visio. Just drag and drop shapes onto the canvas and start your diagram.
  • Maybe the best part is that it's completely free and that I can use it with OneDrive, Google Docs, or Dropbox. I can share it with anyone and even collaborate if needed.
  • It's not completely robust like Visio is. I'm limited in the type and quantity of shapes I can use. But hey, it's free. And it works great.
  • Creating a swimlane process flow to show how different actors work together to complete a process was a little tough to figure out at first. But you can just look up quick "how to" instructions (hint - swimlanes are called containers, and you have to rotate them so they're horizontal rather than vertical - kind of a pain).
  • Adding special shapes and other graphics can slow down the speed of the application. However, I just try to keep it simple. If you're looking for something more robust, you'll probably be a little disappointed with draw.io.
Used this to create simple, yet effective process flows and system diagrams. If you need a lot of graphics or are trying to create more complex models, you might be better off with another tool. And if you've heard this is great for prototyping, wireframing, and design, I guess you could fumble around and try to accomplish that, but I can't imagine going through that headache. Use it for what it's intended for.
Read Richard Crane's full review
Jesse Bickel, MS - PMP profile photo
February 12, 2019

draw.io Review: "Remember MS Paint? Draw.io is for adults in the workplace. It's that easy. Diagram & Workflows with ease."

• Draw.io's ability to plug into other platforms makes it simple to have a single pane of glass operation when working your organization's documents and file system.
  • Draw.io is the refreshing approach to a very simple no-frills software that is easy to learn and get something out the door in minutes if need be.
  • Draw.io had a relatively deep repository of templates and examples to speed up delivery and prevent you from having to re-create the wheel.
  • One element that was hard to use was converting pre-existing drawings and workflows from Gliffy to Draw.io once our company made the change. While we were able to complete the migration, when going back we noticed, oftentimes, some formatting and dependencies did not make it or were not compatible.
  • While the template repository is vast, it has a heavy focus on network style maps. It would be ideal for added diversity in the templates with a focus on workflows just as much.
  • While the integrations are strong, the cloud collaborative environment could still use some work. While you can save and edit in the cloud. Group editing and live dynamic sharing/editing similar to Microsoft office are still missing.
  • Draw.io could add some version control functionality for ease of rollback, auditing, & comparison.
Draw.io is perfect for wide company distribution. There is not the deep complex training that typically comes with using something like Microsoft Visio or other platforms. This is easy to use, understand, and distribute.
Read Jesse Bickel, MS - PMP's full review
Pankaj Bhowmik profile photo
February 07, 2019

draw.io Review: "draw.io - A smart tool for drawing"

• This is a fully online dependent tool, easy to use, and free. At the same time, we can share the design with the people in a group. This feature gives a good match for teamwork.
  • This tool has a large collection of shapes. These shapes are possible to organize easily. If a high level of perfection is required, then it can be controlled by placing proper (x,y) coordinate or rotating by a specific angle.
  • You can have multiple pages on one webpage. It makes easier to edit, modify and update your file which is helpful to track different versions and projects (if you use draw.io a lot).
  • This is a great tool for researchers. Draw.io and Overleaf help to write research papers. When a PDF format of the image is exported, it gives good drawing quality.
  • This online tool is more flexible and user-friendly compared to other expensive software.
  • The tool is not efficient for adding 3D effect on the shapes.
  • The drawing quality degrades when JPG or PNG image formats are downloaded. The SVF format also has some problems for universal use. Hence, when you use Microsoft Word and try to put in an image, you might have to sacrifice image quality.
  • It is limited to shapes only, it would be nice to have a graph option.
  • The online integration of with Overleaf could be better.
Well suited scenarios:
  • Flowcharts
  • Shape drawings
  • Figures for research papers
  • PowerPoint presentations

Less suited scenarios:
  • The use of JPG format figures
  • Confidential figures used for business purpose
  • Graphs
Read Pankaj Bhowmik's full review
Michael Jipping profile photo
February 01, 2019

draw.io Review: "Draw.IO: Easy to Use"

• Draw.IO provides an easy method for manipulating and displaying data flows via its objects/shapes connectors. Ie. When you want the flow arrow to go in a certain direction or make a specific angle, it provides an easy to use interface.
  • Allows for multiple file formats you can export. (PDF , XML, VSDX, etc).
  • Allows for multiple custom objects to import (Various network and server Icons).
  • None to date, but could possibly allow for collaboration across a dispersed team.
Great tool to use for diagramming purposes. May not be the best fit if a software requirement is native Visio.
Read Michael Jipping's full review
Erick de Leon Ponciano profile photo
January 17, 2019

draw.io Review: "Good Tool Draw.io"

It is being used by different areas to document processes, perform flow diagrams, as well as for simple plans.
  • Mobility allows you to make your projects, leave them in the cloud, and when you revisit it on another device your work is there, ready to continue.
  • If you want to share the projects, there are multiple options and it is not necessary for the person receiving the content to have a platform to see it.
  • Integration with browsers allows you to work in an online environment with great flexibility through Chrome.
  • Improve the shapes, other similar products have better options in this area.
  • Incorporate predesigned templates, this is attractive to continue developing content.
It's great for quick jobs (college jobs, house plans or office plans) and if you want to send by the cloud.

It is not so good if you want to share content in a corporate network, for projects or for very complex flowcharts.
Read Erick de Leon Ponciano's full review
Matt Heerema profile photo
November 16, 2018

draw.io Review: "Draw.io - cost effective mind mapping and information architecting tool."

Our web design agency uses Draw.io to create complex information architecture, site map, and spec requirements for websites. It is an easy to use, easy to share, clear set of tools that allows us to rapidly create and share these artifacts with our clients, get their commentary, make changes, and finalize sign-off on the most important part of any web design project: the site structure.
  • Rapid mind-mapping: draw.io's tools are simple to use, minimizing time between thought and action
  • Cloud-based sharing: no need to hunt for the right export settings to share documents with a client
  • Google Suite / Drive integration: Draw.io files live alongside all our other project documentation inside of Google Drive.
  • Interface is pretty spartan, which can be a strength, but better utilization of Google's design standard could lead to a cleaner interface, making it more fun to use.
  • Better tools to reflow connected elements in a comprehensible way would be very handy.
Good for: Rapid mind mapping, prototyping, site mapping, org charts are our primary usage and what this is really well suited for.

Less good: complex drafting, room layouts, detailed physical layout emulating.
Read Matt Heerema's full review
February 07, 2019

draw.io Review: "Draw.io: Design great experiences without breaking the bank"

Draw.io is one of the most functionally useful products out there. Completely free, the product gives you the ability to quickly build flowcharts, workflows, wireframes, and prototypes to get your point across. As product lead, I've personally used draw.io for all the use cases mentioned above. It has helped us design user experience on our platform without breaking the bank.
  • It's free to use.
  • It integrates with Google drive so your work autosaves with every change.
  • It's extremely user-friendly and easy to pick up.
  • As you work in a browser, the app seems to lag if you work on it for a while.
  • The app appears to glitch from time to time if you work for longer periods of time, making you lose some of your work of you're not careful.
  • Exporting your work in the form you would like can be challenging. You need to pay close attention to the previews and page layouts to make sure your work comes out the way you envision it.
If you have small budgets and need to quickly create prototypes or flowcharts, draw.io is perfect for you. It's free, easy to use and user-friendly. Even if you're a beginner and have no design skills, the application is intuitive and has a simple learning curve making it extremely easy to pick up and use.
November 24, 2018

draw.io Review: "Great Diagramming Service for Flow Charts"

I use draw.io to plan and design user flows through our product. It allows for easy to use diagrams and flow charting to depict the journey a user takes through our application. I use the free program which is lightweight and easy to use. I really like the unlimited canvas and being able to save common symbols
  • Diagramming user flows using shapes and arrows
  • Easily exportable outpouts
  • Ready-to-use, BPMN library
  • Allow for multiple pages
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Crisper icons in User Interface
This is a great product for anyone needing to brainstorm or diagram processes. I use it to design a user's path through my application. Draw.io is easy-to-use and quick to get started. It's a great service that I'm glad I found. It's akin to Google Drawing or PowerPoint/Keynote if you're familiar with those services.
December 08, 2018

draw.io Review: "Highly recommended tool for flowcharts, diagrams and more"

We are using draw.io mainly for creating user flows as part of the product development / design process. It helps us a lot to easily draw the flows we need and collaborate with the team on that file. It's very intuitive and easy to use.
  • It's great for drawing user flows and prototypes.
  • Great for collaborating with the team.
  • When you are not using their stand-alone app and get invited to the draw.io file with a link, then it sometimes gets hard to open the file.
Great for team collaboration when you need to create and share visual flows, prototypes, mindmaps, etc.

About draw.io