Microsoft offers Visio, a diagramming tool for building flowcharts, diagrams (e.g. network diagrams), org charts and floor plans, available online as a subscription and also in enterprise level packages (e.g. Visio Professional).https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/eH/X7/W1N6KC1XIRET.JPEGVisio as design solution of choice for call flow documentationWe use Visio as a visual design and documentation solution. It is primarily used by our Operations teams, though others may use it occasionally in the Sales/Marketing process or for consulting engagements. I use it to document communication flows and communication system architecture. It allows me to clearly represent current configuration and plans for future deployments.,Visio is a highly flexible design and documentation platform that enables clear representation of systems and solutions Visio is the digital version of a whiteboard that can be used to solidify an idea into a design The ability to export a design to a PDF allows easy sharing with others that do not use Visio,Visio falls behind in the real-time collaboration department I have always wished that Visio more easily enabled dynamic complex shapes - for example, a simple shape with menu of choices that would automatically expand/contract as items are added/deleted,10,Using Visio for our call flow designs has given us an edge over our competition by enabling us to provide clear, concise, and visually appealing documentation Visio makes it easier to create compelling documentation for our customers than other solutions we have tried,Visio is AmazingVisio is used throughout my organization. It's the best (and only) go-to product for creating process flows and system diagrams. It simplifies complex processes, makes information manageable and shareable, and improves my documentation.,I love that Visio works for any level of user. I can create simplistic, high-level diagrams very quickly, or take my time and create more complex processes and diagrams using Visio's large shapes library. And if the icon or image I need isn't available, I can paste or import it into my diagram. It gives me control to go outside what we'd consider best practices to create diagrams that have specific meaning to stakeholders. For example, some may like a particular color scheme, which I really don't care about, but if they want decisions to be yellow, start to be green, and end to be red, I can easily accommodate those requests. I also love (love!) that it is so easy to use with SharePoint. I can virtually collaborate with my team to refine process flows and diagrams, and go back through my version control to see which changes have been made and by whom.,The shapes library can be a little daunting if you're unfamiliar. Unless you know what you're looking for and where to find it, you can spend a lot of time looking for a particular shape or icon. But once you find it, you can add it to your shapes menu for easy access. You can also spend a lot of time selecting your defaults for shapes, arrows, font size, etc. But like the shapes library, once you get it down, it's locked in. Be prepared to spend a few hours playing with Visio before figuring out all the nuances. But if you're a beginner and need to create a process flow or diagram, you can do it very quickly without a lot of effort or training. The fun stuff takes a little longer to master.,10,Visio has enabled me to identify current processes that are broken and figure out better future-state processes. It has immensely improved our business. Visio makes my documentation palatable. People like diagrams and pictures, not 50-page Word docs. Makes my job much easier.,OmniGraffle, Lucidchart and draw.io,draw.io, LucidchartThe king but for how long?Visio is used for all flowcharts in projects in the UK at Fujitsu. As the industry standard in diagramming it's virtually impossible to use anything else. I mainly deal with solution architects who create process flows in Visio to send to myself and fellow developers.,For users who have been using it since the early versions, the changes between the years have been incremental and easy to pick up. It's an easy learning curve for longtime users. A huge amount of different diagram options for every conceivable possibility. There isn't another tool with this much diagram versatility while maintaining a professional feel. It's often bunched in with Office 365 Professional meaning that companies don't have to shell out too much.,It is not very user-friendly for first-time users, such as myself back in 2016. If you haven't had training in the area you will find producing professional diagrams difficult with Visio. There are open source alternatives that are catching up with Visio's functionality for free. It may not be long until forking out for Visio may not be worth it. Switching between open source software and Visio can cause compatibility issues, and diagrams may be ruined in the conversion.,6,Visio has to lead to client-satisfying diagrams, clients often have high expectations especially for technical consultants, and Visio must be used in these scenarios. Visio has thus helped win over clients. Forking out money for Visio in the complete Office 365 Business suite is becoming more and more redundant with open source software coming up. Visio training is required for users to be sufficiently skilled in it to show diagrams to clients, meaning extra time and money that isn't billable.,Lucidchart,UiPath Enterprise RPA Platform, Blue Prism, Microsoft 365 BusinessUsing Visio to help share your vision efficientlyVisio is extremely versatile and probably used in almost all groups where people document processes or systems. In my group, it is used mostly by solution architects to describe solutions and systems. I've seen it used to describe support processes as well. Words can't describe everything in an efficient manner. Sometimes, a drawing really helps understand. In these cases, Visio is great as it allows you to quickly make a visual representation.,Visio contains a very large collection of objects that you can add to your drawing. They are regrouped in themes which makes it more easy to select. It also allows for some standards in the drawings created. Office integration is really awesome. You can integrate a Visio drawing in a Word document and people without Visio can still see it. Also, the users of Visio can edit the drawing from within Word which makes it very convenient. Visio allows us to add new anchors to objects (to attach arrows and lines). This is really convenient as sometimes the default position of anchors on an object doesn't fit your needs. If you can't find the object that fits your need, you can import pictures and put anchors on them. This helps you achieve the desired effect.,Often, I have the feeling that I'm using overly complex ways of doing some things that are basic. The tool is really easy to use and loaded with options so you can easily get lost in it. Looking for some training on the tool is probably a good idea if you want to use it fully. When you are moving objects around, very often, your connectors will also move and won't arrange nicely. For example, if three connectors leave an object to go to three different objects, I would like to see these three connectors joined (or overlapped) for as long as possible on the graph. Or if you manually change the path of a connector to go under an object, as soon as you move one of the two objects linked with that connector, this will usually revert the path of the connector to the original one. For people with OCD, this is triggering.,9,Visio has been part of the software used in IT for as long as I have been here. I can't really comment on the ROI but I can say that doing without it would greatly affect both the delivery time and quality of our technical documentation. Visio as a perpetual licence will absolutely have a positive impact on a company. If the cost structure goes towards a pay to use model (like for Office) then it's worth doing the actual math. It is possible that an alternative should be considered.,Atlassian Confluence,Notepad++, Microsoft Office 2016, VMware Workstation Player (formerly VMware Player)Use Microsoft Visio to enhance your drawingsMicrosoft Visio is a very cool tool. It makes creating diagrams and charts so much easier. Only a few people in our organization use Microsoft Visio. It is mainly used for creating organizational charts. We also use it to create diagrams for our IT department. It is quite the time saver.,Flow Charts - It is very easy to create flow charts with Visio. Network Diagrams - This is where I started my Visio experience. Drawing servers and switches. Visio has all the shapes built right into it so you can just drag and drop. Maps - You can create building plans with Visio and layout how you want your rooms to look. I used this to design my current house floor plan.,Shapes - There are always more shapes that could be added. Visio has a lot but never all of them. Visio Viewer - Occasionally the Visio Viewer doesn't work. We use the viewer for all the rest of our users to view the Visio files but the most recent version of Visio viewer is 2013.,9,I have to create and update organizational charts. Using Visio is so much easier to do this in. It greatly reduces my time. Network and server diagrams help me document how our systems are connected.,,Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Suite 4
Microsoft Visio

Microsoft Visio Reviews

Microsoft Visio
Filter 37 vetted Microsoft Visio reviews and ratings

David Currier profile photo
December 18, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "Visio as design solution of choice for call flow documentation"

• Visio is a highly flexible design and documentation platform that enables clear representation of systems and solutions
  • Visio is the digital version of a whiteboard that can be used to solidify an idea into a design
  • The ability to export a design to a PDF allows easy sharing with others that do not use Visio
  • Visio falls behind in the real-time collaboration department
  • I have always wished that Visio more easily enabled dynamic complex shapes - for example, a simple shape with menu of choices that would automatically expand/contract as items are added/deleted
Visio is an excellent tool for documenting a call flow design or the architecture and components of a communications system in a visual format and their relationship to each other. It is less helpful for text-based documentation. When a solution needs to be represented visually, it is an excellent choice.
Read David Currier's full review
Richard Crane profile photo
December 12, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "Visio is Amazing"

• I love that Visio works for any level of user. I can create simplistic, high-level diagrams very quickly, or take my time and create more complex processes and diagrams using Visio's large shapes library. And if the icon or image I need isn't available, I can paste or import it into my diagram.
  • It gives me control to go outside what we'd consider best practices to create diagrams that have specific meaning to stakeholders. For example, some may like a particular color scheme, which I really don't care about, but if they want decisions to be yellow, start to be green, and end to be red, I can easily accommodate those requests.
  • I also love (love!) that it is so easy to use with SharePoint. I can virtually collaborate with my team to refine process flows and diagrams, and go back through my version control to see which changes have been made and by whom.
  • The shapes library can be a little daunting if you're unfamiliar. Unless you know what you're looking for and where to find it, you can spend a lot of time looking for a particular shape or icon. But once you find it, you can add it to your shapes menu for easy access.
  • You can also spend a lot of time selecting your defaults for shapes, arrows, font size, etc. But like the shapes library, once you get it down, it's locked in.
  • Be prepared to spend a few hours playing with Visio before figuring out all the nuances. But if you're a beginner and need to create a process flow or diagram, you can do it very quickly without a lot of effort or training. The fun stuff takes a little longer to master.
Visio is great for creating process flows and system diagrams. The only constraint with Visio is my own skills and creativity in building complex, rich documentation to easily convey information. If you're looking to improve processes, or depict current or future-state processes, you need Visio.
Read Richard Crane's full review
Alexander Cooper profile photo
February 14, 2019

Microsoft Visio Review: "The king but for how long?"

• For users who have been using it since the early versions, the changes between the years have been incremental and easy to pick up. It's an easy learning curve for longtime users.
  • A huge amount of different diagram options for every conceivable possibility. There isn't another tool with this much diagram versatility while maintaining a professional feel.
  • It's often bunched in with Office 365 Professional meaning that companies don't have to shell out too much.
  • It is not very user-friendly for first-time users, such as myself back in 2016. If you haven't had training in the area you will find producing professional diagrams difficult with Visio.
  • There are open source alternatives that are catching up with Visio's functionality for free. It may not be long until forking out for Visio may not be worth it.
  • Switching between open source software and Visio can cause compatibility issues, and diagrams may be ruined in the conversion.
In practically every corporate scenario, Visio will be used. However, if a simple diagram needs to be made the user experience is too poor to be efficient. I've seen users resort to PowerPoint rather than messing with Visio. However, if professionalism is paramount, there is no alternative to Visio.
Read Alexander Cooper's full review
Mathieu Gaouette profile photo
February 08, 2019

Microsoft Visio Review: "Using Visio to help share your vision efficiently"

• Visio contains a very large collection of objects that you can add to your drawing. They are regrouped in themes which makes it more easy to select. It also allows for some standards in the drawings created.
  • Office integration is really awesome. You can integrate a Visio drawing in a Word document and people without Visio can still see it. Also, the users of Visio can edit the drawing from within Word which makes it very convenient.
  • Visio allows us to add new anchors to objects (to attach arrows and lines). This is really convenient as sometimes the default position of anchors on an object doesn't fit your needs.
  • If you can't find the object that fits your need, you can import pictures and put anchors on them. This helps you achieve the desired effect.
  • Often, I have the feeling that I'm using overly complex ways of doing some things that are basic. The tool is really easy to use and loaded with options so you can easily get lost in it. Looking for some training on the tool is probably a good idea if you want to use it fully.
  • When you are moving objects around, very often, your connectors will also move and won't arrange nicely.
  • For example, if three connectors leave an object to go to three different objects, I would like to see these three connectors joined (or overlapped) for as long as possible on the graph. Or if you manually change the path of a connector to go under an object, as soon as you move one of the two objects linked with that connector, this will usually revert the path of the connector to the original one. For people with OCD, this is triggering.
Visio is really good with technical drawings. It is not our domain so I can't vouch for it but I know it also makes an electric schema. It would be great for decision trees and process flows in general. I would not use the software for advance detailed drawings (like a building floor map) though. I probably would work but not the best thing. Also, if you need a precise object size, you will struggle a bit to get the desired result with Visio.
Read Mathieu Gaouette's full review
Andrew Murphy profile photo
September 27, 2018

Review: "Use Microsoft Visio to enhance your drawings"

• Flow Charts - It is very easy to create flow charts with Visio.
  • Network Diagrams - This is where I started my Visio experience. Drawing servers and switches. Visio has all the shapes built right into it so you can just drag and drop.
  • Maps - You can create building plans with Visio and layout how you want your rooms to look. I used this to design my current house floor plan.
  • Shapes - There are always more shapes that could be added. Visio has a lot but never all of them.
  • Visio Viewer - Occasionally the Visio Viewer doesn't work. We use the viewer for all the rest of our users to view the Visio files but the most recent version of Visio viewer is 2013.
Microsoft Visio is very well suited for creating flowcharts. It also excels with organizational charts. There are dynamic connectors and dotted line connectors that show who reports to who. Microsoft Visio also is great for IT diagrams. Server diagrams, Network diagrams, all the shapes are there to make a great representation of your network!
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
December 06, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "Visio: Familiar and Efficient"

Microsoft Visio is used across my organization for documenting processes. Specifically in my audit department, Visio is used to document workflows and processes of clients. Using Visio helps us to communicate our understanding of processes to our clients in a visual manner, and guides narrative reporting. Visio provides clarity and the ability to parse out many details, from which team is completing a process step, to controls identified in the process, to specific notes and details about certain steps.
  • Visio is built just like any other Microsoft Office program, so anyone familiar with Office will find it relatively easy to use.
  • The automatic spacing of items on a page makes a Visio project look sleek and professional with little effort.
  • The pre-loaded shapes and symbols in Visio are consistent with what is being taught in business tools for appropriately flowing processes, so it takes the guesswork out of representing processes correctly.
  • Spacing things on your own can be difficult. It took me a number of google searches to figure out how to freely change the size of a swim lane, or that holding the shift key while using the arrow keys to move a shape will move it at a smaller scale. Knowing tips like these upfront would be helpful.
  • Creating master shapes would be helpful; when a shape is too big for a diagram, resizing it and then making sure all of the other instances are the same shape can be a pain.
  • A wider selection of templates would be nice.
Visio is a very visual program, and is therefore helpful in situations that require summarizing a large amount of information, like a complicated process. Visio would be much less beneficial in a situation that requires documenting many small details, as they would clutter the aspect of simplicity that Visio otherwise provides. Visio is, however, very well suited for supplementing documentation with very minute details by providing a higher-level view of information.
November 30, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "MS Visio, a great all around tool to add to the MS Office Suite!"

Microsoft Visio is deployed on an as needed basis at an Illinois community college campus. Visio is deployed to users on an as needed basis, and is not part of a normal deployment of MS Office suite of programs. Visio is a versatile in many ways and allows us to deploy it as to fill software gaps that would normally require many more specific programs with a much higher learning curve, and price.
  • Ease of Use
  • Choice of Flowchart, wiring diagrams and floor plans
  • Quick to deploy to users on our campus with MS Office enterprise based licensing
  • More shape features built into the program, so less third party downloads would be necessary
  • Quicker, easier navigation of the workspace (there is not an easy way to drag around the image to get it to the desired location on the document). Maybe add an Adobe-like to navigate the document
  • It would be very beneficial to save multiple individual preference and layout options for each typw of document loaded.

Uses depend on the individual user, and are known to be, but not limited to: flow charts, wiring schematics/diagrams, floor plans of offices, common areas and classrooms. In the application at our campus, each user has a specific need for Visio, and Visio is not deployed with the normal MS Office suite of programs.

Many members of the campus leadership team, and their assistants use Visio for flow-charting of tasks and duties. The user interface is similar to all other MS products, so the learning curve is minimal.

Technology departments use Visio for wiring and schematic diagrams of network and classroom wiring. Most of our external contractors take our rough Visio documents and transfer them to AutoCAD, which has a much higher learning curve.

One of our campus staff uses Visio regularly to play furniture checkers with offices, conference center rooms, and common areas. It is nice to have the functionality of creating to scale rooms layouts prior to moving furnishings three or four times.

November 28, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Visio- a must-have tool for any technology user"

As an Audio-Video Design Firm, we use a tool like Visio on a regular basis (used it today, actually). Unlike AutoCAD (which we also use) we use Visio to do things like pre-sales designs for clients, network drawings for IT managers in our client companies, and any case where we want to embed an image in a drawing to make it easier to get a point across. We also use it for "quick and dirty" drawings for meetings and discussions to capture the contents of our whiteboard designs.

Visio provides us with a powerful tool that also looks professional at a cost and ease of use factor that is very attractive to our company.
  • Ease of use: Visio is very intuitive, and as a Microsoft product is very comfortable for most technical users to pick up.
  • Wide-spread use by IT Professionals: While not as powerful as other tools in some areas, Visio is well-known as a standard for the documentation of equipment in data centers for IT deployments.
  • Availability of templates: There are literally thousands of pre-made Visio templates available, which allows for faster and more accurate drawings.
  • Cost: Visio is very cost-effective, costing hundreds of dollars versus thousands, which allows for more users and greater flexibility.
  • Hardware requirements: VIsio will run decently on just about any new or recent hardware, even most laptops or portable "surface-esque" devices.
  • Unlike tools like AutoCAD, Visio is not well-suited to the creation or modification of large-scale construction documents.
  • Visio has many "quirks" that can cause frustration for even experienced users, likely due to its typical use being for less complex scenarios.
Microsoft Visio is (in my opinion) a "must have" tool for a technology company or pretty much any IT department. It allows any technical user to turn a whiteboard drawing into a professional rendering that can be used to document critical information as well as to present important information in a clear and concise fashion- all without "breaking the bank".
February 13, 2019

Microsoft Visio Review: "New User"

I use this software to create our organization chart.
  • It is a good way to create organization charts. It doesn't really restrict you on where items are placed. It is easy to copy and paste and move things around.
  • Sometimes I get a little frustrated with having to click on the boxes to change my cursor to what I would like to do.
It is a good software to create an organizational or flow chart without restrictions.
January 10, 2019

Microsoft Visio Review: "Old Faithful"

We use it for architectural diagrams for the most part (our org chart is also built in Visio). But primarily, we map customer networks and data center environments for a before and after view if they buy the solution we're proposing to them. It can be extremely detailed at times.
  • Diagrams
  • Charts
  • Mapping
  • Icons
  • Exports
  • Ease of use
It's very good for creating diagrams and charts that are very detailed and are subject to change. It's pretty much the only way that I can map a network with hundreds of devices and connections without really struggling. However, the artwork is definitely a bit rudimentary and doesn't have the high tech feel you'd like it to.
November 28, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "Using MS Visio 2016"

It is being used by a department for the documentation of services, processes and diagrams of technology services.
  • Shapes can be replaced.
  • Creates bumps in a connector while crossing another connector line.
  • Text can be entered directly inside the shapes.
  • Clipart gallery is big.
  • Allows to design different environments in an easy and natural way from structures, offices, houses, technology, logistics, etc.
  • It is important to be able to handle versions of the projects; changes are often made and it is difficult to identify the differences.
  • I have experienced that when a project is very large, the program gets slow at times.
Technical drawings and diagrams become easy because of the rule checking that we can automatically create with data legends.

Has not been made compatible with iPads, Mac computers or Android tablets.
October 01, 2018

Microsoft Visio Review: "Visio for Process and System modelling"

Business process and System flow documentation. Visio is used in both IT/business operations and across the organization.
  • It helps us understand how business processes are integrated across departments.
  • It helps IT understand how the system is designed to support the business process and also to understand the flow of events.
  • It is also being used as a tool in training users
  • Process flow documentation to explain the steps involved in getting a sale completed, or getting a customer service issue triaged.
  • Training materials to visually present the process and system flows
  • Status reporting, project management and technical architecture diagrams are done in Visio
  • Complex flows drawn using Visio are not legible on presentations and hard to follow
  • Some controls are hard to find although there is search capability available
  • Visio crashes often, especially the 365 version
Simple to medium complex diagrams are well suited in Visio. Complex diagrams with multiple hand offs would require a better solution.

Microsoft Visio Scorecard Summary