Reviews (1-4 of 4)
- It is very reliable on the server side to provide a trustworthy back end.
- The install was simple and provided an easy way to install and backup Unix servers.
- The support was always helpful and responded quickly.
- They seem to be behind the ball on adapting newer technology.
- Importing backup indexes were not the easiest task and required a Unix admin.
- The client side install was not very compact.
- Easy to install and set up cell manager, deploy clients and configure backup devices. Integration options for databases and virtual environments makes backup and restore of these systems easier through the GUI.
- Scheduling options allow the user to set specific times for backups of a host or group them together with the advance scheduling option and set priorities of which systems get access to backup devices.
- Licensing options are tiered and can scale from a very small environment to a larger one when needed.
- Granular recovery extension plugins need to be documented better and kept up to date, this would aid in the installation of these plugins.
- When deploying Granular Recovery Extensions for VMware and Exchange, security options of the cell need to be turned off (Secure Cell and Encrypted Communication).
- Reporting on scheduled backups via the advanced scheduling option are non-existent, this needs to be available.
- Longevity. We could go back 6 months+ to recover data.
- Reliability. Always worked.
- I had light interaction with this system, so it would not be fair for me to say where there is a need for improvement. It worked the way we need it do to get the job done.
Data Protector Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Data Protector
Data Protector from Micro Focus, acquired from Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, is a backup and recovery software which features security for enterprise-scale workloads, instant/automated data recovery, and built-in orchestration, automation and monitoring.
Enterprise scale and security for legacy and modern workloads
Standardize data protection across physical, virtual, and cloud environments with adaptive architecture based on an advanced security model.
Instant recovery via native application integrations
Accelerate availability for applications and databases including SAP/HANA, Oracle, Microsoft, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase, and DB2 with granular recovery and automated point-in-time recovery.
Backup and recovery for virtual environments
Backup virtual environments with agent or agentless VM consistent backup in VMware and Hyper-V environments. Use restore operations to recover the entire VM or conduct file level restore.
Best-in class platform integrations including the cloud
Accelerate and simplify backup and recovery with a comprehensive support matrix including storage integrations with Dell/EMC and NetApp. Back up to the cloud with native integrations with Microsoft Azure and Amazon S3.
Automated disaster recovery
Automate DR with centralized bare metal recovery from or to physical and virtual systems from any existing file system or image.
Orchestration, automation, and monitoring
Track and manage SLAs for critical applications with key performance indicators.
Data Protector Technical Details