Great resources for upskilling teams with cloud tech
May 19, 2021

Great resources for upskilling teams with cloud tech

Overall Satisfaction with A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy)

Our business had strategic goals which needed us to upskill a lot of employees on emerging technologies and we wanted to do so in an engaging and efficient manner. I was particularly interested in providers with courses which aligned to certifications so that we could give the team qualifications valuable to their careers whilst having a way to give other departments and customers confidence of our capabilities.
  • Hands-on labs and cloud playgrounds to learn by trying.
  • Really engaging courses with knowledgeable presenters.
  • East to track progress of the team and see who may need more encouragement.
  • Some courses can reference acquired company resources that I'm not immediately able to find.
  • Learning paths were originally limited to very specific areas which didn't suit my business case.
  • Licenses are fairly expensive compared to some alternatives.
  • Engagement scores around investment in L&D have increased.
  • There's excitement around upcoming changes to our technology instead of fear we have seen in the past.
  • We feel confident we will be able to deliver these new technologies - although we are at the start of our journey.
Course choice is much smaller than Udemy but the quality feels a lot higher. There's accountability for them being accurate and you can see them being regularly updated. The labs and playgrounds are really useful for getting to grips with technical concepts.

I think the licenses for ACG are more expensive than Udemy was. There's also no material around general professional competencies e.g. time management, meeting planning that you get on a generalist platform.
The depth is fantastic - I'm confident we can take people from never using cloud technologies all the way to being CKA/CKAD certified and beyond. It feels like we can give everyone a development plan to take their learning to the next level.

A criticism would be that the basic levels are very basic and it can take a while to arrive at the courses/lessons that add the most value.
I run a delivery function at a technology vendor. We deploy solutions both as a managed service and as an on-prem offering. The material on ACG will build our capability to support deployments of new innovative cloud native technology changes being rolled into our product and keep us at the top of our market, delivering world-leading software solutions.

Do you think A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy) delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy)'s feature set?

Did A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy) live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy) go as expected?

Would you buy A Cloud Guru (Linux Academy) again?

LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com), Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), MongoDB
I think it's really well suited for training up a team from beginner level to competence with new technologies. It looks to align well to certifications which can provide confidence in the skill level of the team.

I'm not sure how it will play out long-term once we have people who come in with a high skill level in an area as it can be difficult to figure out how to plug gaps in general knowledge with the platform.

It doesn't work as well for those learners who prefer to just read the man pages and get hands on with a home lab (apart from the cloud playgrounds, but the platform is expensive if that's all a learner will use).