MIP is functional but not always useable
October 07, 2016

MIP is functional but not always useable

Erin Brouillette | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with Abila MIP Fund Accounting

We use MIP Fund Accounting to manage all of our general ledger account functions. We only use it within the accounting department and primarily to manage our GL and Accounts Payable. Our AR is entered into the system but we do not like the invoice interface. Additionally the budget and projections are kept outside of MIP as we have found it bulky to work with. Financial statements are prepared in Excel after a Trial Balance Report is run out of MIP.

Pros

• It is accurate

Cons

• Too many postings. For example to cut a check you need to post the AP batch (even for a single check) and then post again for the check run. There are so many steps to do a simple transaction.
  • Reporting is not intuitive and it is hard to figure out how to get a report that will give you the information that you need. I find that I have to run multiple reports to figure out if it has the correct information.
  • Actual dates and effective dates, if these get out of sync for any reason it is very hard to correct and I find having two dates to be unnecessary.
  • I don't feel that it has any positive or negative impact. It is a functional accounting software but it does not go above and beyond to make our business easier.
We have used this functionality and it has been adequate for our reporting. I appreciate that you can easily filter reports based on individual funds which makes reporting easier.
We use MIP daily to record AP, cut checks, receive AR and manage all aspects of our general ledger function.
We are using MIP because they were able to manage our unique general ledger account number needs that are state mandated. I don't find the program to be as easy to use or intuitive as other systems I have used in the past. It is clunky and requires so many steps in order to do even simple functions.
I don't find it to be an intuitive software. We have unique general ledger coding that is mandated by the state that it is able to handle but the system itself is hard to navigate.

MIP Fund Accounting Feature Ratings

Comments

• Justin Morrow | TrustRadius Reviewer
    Erin - I really appreciate your comments on MIP. We're glad to have you and the Highlander Charter School as a valued client! I'm glad to see that MIP has been helpful for managing your multiple revenue sources, AP, and some AR. Your feedback overall on reporting in MIP is valued as we are always trying to prioritize financial reporting needs in the application. There are as you know a wide variety of reports, many of which are installed by default and while there are a lot of configurable options, at times it can be too much. In order to reduce the learning curve for new users of MIP we've also launched a revamped Abila University (http://abilauniversity.com/) that features a wide variety of helpful online courses including some advanced reporting courses that could be helpful if you're seeing repeated challenges in configuring reports you need. I'd welcome more feedback you have on your use of MIP. Feel free to contact me directly at justin.morrow@abila.com and we can discuss your needs and the challenges you are having. Kind Regards, Justin Morrow, Product Marketing Manager at Abila