TRUE
TRUE

Bang for your buck

June 25, 2022
It is across the whole organization. All our payables, receivables and financial report are generated by MIP.

MIP Love!

May 25, 2022

MIPleased!

May 14, 2022

Abilia for nonprofits

May 12, 2022

Video Reviews (1)

Record

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.mip.com/request…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $249 per month

What is MIP Fund Accounting?

MIP Fund Accounting is a configurable fund accounting solution that allows users to report and track finances, streamline processes, and scale and grow based on your unique needs. MIP is the accounting software of choice, with cloud or on-premises deployment options, and designed to meet and handle the complex accounting needs of nonprofit financial management.

MIP's integrated software solution suite provides general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, payroll, human resources, allocations management, procurement, fixed assets, grant management, and advanced security functionality. The solution enables users to manage and report on multiple cost centers at the general ledger level including multiple organizations, funds, projects, grants, programs, departments, locations, etc.

MIP Fund Accounting exclusively serves the financial management and fund accounting needs for nonprofits and government agencies with its complete, end-to-end suite of functionality and multi-segmented chart of accounts. The company states that with the right fund accounting platform and expert guidance, users can track unlimited funds, manage complex reporting requirements, streamline productivity, and make the right data-driven business decisions for an organization.

MIP Fund Accounting Screenshots

MIP Advance™ Dashboards with drilldownMIP™ Transactions WorkflowMIP DashboardsMIP DashboardsMIP Dashboard drilldownMIP TransactionsMIP Budget WorksheetMIP ReportingMIP Audit Trail  and SecurityMIP PortalMIP Fund Accounting

MIP Fund Accounting Competitors

MIP Fund Accounting Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise, SaaS
Operating SystemsWindows

What is MIP Fund Accounting?

MIP Fund Accounting™ is a configurable fund accounting solution. The solution includes functionality for fund accounting, procurement, budgeting, payroll, human resources, timekeeping, fixed asset management, grant management, and dashboards for nonprofits and government agencies.

How much does MIP Fund Accounting cost?

MIP Fund Accounting starts at $249.

What is MIP Fund Accounting's best feature?

Reviewers rate In-Person Training and Product Scalability highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses MIP Fund Accounting?

The most common users of MIP Fund Accounting are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Non-profit Organization Management industry.

June 25, 2022

Bang for your buck

• Easy to use.
  • Accurate.
  • Great technical support.
  • Missing functionality.
  • Sometimes laggy.
It is easy to use and does not cost much.
It is great. Sometimes the chat and calls are not prompt as I want them. But overall OK.
Because it is a great product.
MIP Fund Accounting allows our business easily accessible software for everyday accounting needs. It is used as our accounting and payroll software. MIP Fund Accounting contributes a lot to our company's financial needs. MIP Fund Accounting has a fantastic support team who are able to address issues with the platform for our needs. Each issue has been resolved in a quick and timely manner.
  • Advanced Budgeting tools
  • Easily accessible payroll options
  • Understandable reporting manager
  • Secure information
  • Better historical documentation
  • Follow up on software requests
  • Custom field options
MIP Fund Accounting has the tools that show that it is a here-to-stay platform. You can tell it was designed with a long-term idea in mind. The highlight of MIP Fund Accounting would be its payroll options. Very easy to use and functions well, when it does not support is able to jump in and fix any issue we might have.
We use MIP Fund Accounting for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Cash Receipts, Cash Disbursements, Journal Entries, and Financial Reporting. Some of the problems I have is being able to create invoices. I currently create them in Word and then manually enter them into MIP. I also have numerous logs I have to keep manually to track check numbers, voucher numbers, journal entry numbers, etc. It would be great if/when everything moves to the Cloud (I think). I currently do not use the Cloud because I cannot perform all functions there and I don't want to switch back and forth between classic and cloud. The only other problem I have is that all of the training moves so fast and I am still learning the system. I often get lost and can't catch up. Very frustrating. Also, we have to pay for classes for training and I feel it should have been included in the price of the program. Not for a limited time. When I look at the manuals I have downloaded and printed there are often steps missing. I think they are not written for "first-time" users. There were numerous problems in our initial training.
  • Processes are clear and concise
  • Ease of use once you understand the flow
  • Creating reports
  • Being able to change what you view on display report functions
  • Remembering check or voucher number in A/P and Payroll
  • Training
Already addressed in previous comments
I use it to enter various transactions and reports. The A/P Module is the one I use the most. Using MIP Fund Accounting to do check runs is very convenient for me. I also love the layout: The drop-down menus, the road map/flow chart, and the modules on the left side make MIP Fund Accounting user-friendly. I also like the options for reporting and charts. The charts make our finances easier to understand. This is some of the best software I've ever used! When I come to work, MIP Fund Accounting is the FIRST program I open. I ALWAYS look forward to using MIP Fund Accounting. Every time I use it, I feel like I'm being spoiled!
  • Being able to access Entering Invoices from the menus and modules.
  • Having the related tasks in the gray boxes and in different modules.
  • Having the road map set up in sequence so you know what to do next, so no guessing.
  • The Process Manager Window for reports.
  • Maybe the choice to enlarge the font and icons, but it's no big deal.
I can't think of any scenario where MIP Fund Accounting would not be suited.
  • Online Training
  • In-Person Training
The support I need is already in MIP. I can reach out further if I need to.
Because of the layout of the software and how everything is explained. I seem to get better at my job and have a better understanding of nonprofit accounting the more I use it.
May 25, 2022

MIP Love!

We use MIP for all of our accounting needs; accounts payable, accounts receivable, allocations, payroll, HR, bank reconciliation, and all financial reporting for federal funding. It is the heartbeat of our organization. The biggest problem that MIP addresses is the complex funding tracking; it gives a lot of flexibility in reporting and fund management. The scope of my use is all-inclusive. I do everything, including account code set up, user management, processing, and reporting.
  • Tech support and knowledge base. When I encounter an issue I can research the knowledge base to see if anyone else has had the same problem, and learn how to navigate. If I need further help, the support center is ready and available.
  • I like the product enhancements; they will listen to customer feedback and make changes where we, the users, see fit.
  • I like the shortcut buttons when you are in reporting; you can easily export to excel and PDF, print report details, etc...
  • I like the options that reporting gives; you can truly create a custom report to extract exactly what you want to see or don't want to see.
  • My #1 request would have a report that can pull from all modules. There are some reports that I have to run in separate areas to compile the data I want. If there were a one-stop-shop report center, that would be fantastic.
  • I would love to have an option to make text size bigger in all parts of the system.
  • We are in CA; I would like to see call center coverage to account for the time change to Texas.
I would recommend MIP to colleagues. It is a very intricate, sensitive system. Once you are comfortable in it, it truly is a powerful tool. Sometimes there are frustrations as it is not intuitive. You really have to know what every single check box does. For example, direct deposit in HR. Once you enter the bank info, you have to go back to select the direct deposit check box. If you do not, it will not activate the DD. I would think it would be intuitive enough to know if you are entering bank information, it would activate the DD. Or have the check box on the same tab.
We use MIP Fund Accounting for Accounting and Payroll. We have used this system since the 1990s. MIP Fund Accounting works great for us for non-profit accounting. We have approximately 10 - 15 grants and can use the system to track expenditures, employee time, and costs allocated to the appropriate grants. MIP Fund Accounting handles budgets operating on different grant periods and the product is easy to use with some initial training.
  • Cost allocate among multiple grants
  • Time and Attendance reporting for multiple grants
  • Accounts Payable
  • Credit Card Bills and reconciliation
  • Ability to run reports on distribution codes, which get changed frequently
  • HR Manager system - not a lot of training available to learn the system
MIP's payroll function is user-friendly and easy to use. MIP Fund Accounting support is easy to reach and they are helpful.
I use MIP Fund Accounting to manage the finances of a multi-county library system. I use the system for the whole cycle of business operations, from budgeting to operating to reporting. The system is designed for organizations like mine, so it is easy to track and report on various grants and other special-purpose funding that we receive.
  • Flexible and customizable reporting
  • Easy to use and intuitive interface
  • Excellent customer support
  • Looking forward to payroll being available on the cloud side
  • In the cloud, I have to look in 2 places to find the vendor id and then view the payment history. It would be great for that to be one click.
  • I get kicked out of the cloud side pretty frequently - I understand the need for security but the window of inactivity seems very, very short
MIP Fund Accounting is well suited for organizations with many funding sources and restrictions on how those funds can be used. The reporting is very customizable which makes it easy to design reports that answer grantor or donor questions. I do think the software requires a bit more accounting knowledge than some other systems I've used, but I do not find that a drawback.
May 14, 2022

MIPleased!

We use MIP Fund Accounting for our HR and Accounting functions. We run a lot of reports using the MIP Fund Account. Sometimes the reports aren't completely accurate - some items are omitted.
  • I like that reports are fairly easy to create and run
  • I really like that payroll is such an easy process in MIP Fund Accounting.
  • If the reports were more accurate - especially when being converted to Excel
Again, I think payroll is a very simple process. I also like that end-of-year tax forms (W2, 1095-C) are fairly easy to navigate through for processing.
Currently, our organization use MIP fund Accounting for all our accounting and financial management needs. This product addresses needs such as managing fixed assets, the ability to report in multicurrency, and budgeting. For example, our organization is operated on an approved work plan and budget, and the budget module enables us to monitor our spending and produce reports such as variance analysis to assist in our forecasting, planning, and decision-making.
  • Fixed Assets Management.
  • Accounts receivables and payables.
  • Budgeting
  • It can become more user friendly.
  • The closing of fiscal year can be complicated.
  • Bank reconciliation feature can be simplified for ease of use.
MIP Fund Accounting is well suited in the following ways: The ability to use the budgets module enables better planning, implementation, and monitoring of our various activities during the fiscal year. The Multicurrency module allows us to meet the requirements of our various donors who may request that reports be submitted to them in different currencies. In my opinion, MIP Fund Accounting may be less appropriate in the following ways: This software is most suitable for medium to large organizations with complex functions in order to utilize various modules adequately. There are a lot of small organizations that can utilize all or most of what this software offers. However, the cost can be a major factor when considering acquiring this software.
We use the product to track all financial activities in the nonprofit. We use accounts payable, accounts receivable, and the general ledger package. We track our grants in Abila and have created financial statement reporting for our Board in Abilia. We use Abilia to prepare reporting for all our programs and cost centers. We recently moved to the cloud and purchased the budget module.
  • Grant Accounting
  • Accounts payable
  • 1099 reporting
  • Duplicate payment prevention
  • Ease of adding new accounts
  • Easier report writing capabilities
Abilia works extremely well in grant accounting, cost center, and program reporting. Abilia is easy to drill down into the detail supporting individual accounts in a particular cost center or program. Abilia has good functionality in creating a billing system to easily prepare monthly tuition bills for individual school districts. Abilia also has robust fund accounting built into its financial system.
May 02, 2022

MIP is Adequate

It can handle multi-segment accounting strings and fund accounting.
  • Fund Accounting structure.
  • The Dashboard configuration.
  • More dynamic planning/budgeting.
  • Better customization of Reports.
  • Flexibility
We have had difficulty getting information out of the system for our reporting and planning purposes. It's kept us pretty manual on anything outside of transaction recording.
Larry Parish | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it to control all accounting needs. I run payroll for 2 different company processing groups. It makes our finances easy so we can focus on consumers. Also, our audits are extremely easy with all the different reports it runs. It’s really a foolproof way to do your finances.
  • Account receivable
  • Reports
  • I wish it was easier to correct input errors
  • Don’t like the recent password change
  • Wish forms were easier to edit
If you had to run multiple dba you might want something different. It can get confusing changing the modules on the payroll. I have forgotten many times. It is great for small nonprofits. Pretty straightforward and easy to use.
Seems like updates come very regularly. Forum support seems good too. They try to implement recommended changes.
Pretty easy to use once you learning. Sometimes it’s hard to find the report you want but it’s always there. Just trial and error.
We use MIP Fund Accounting daily as our primary tool to manage our accounts. We have approximately 50 active accounts at one time and hundreds of inactive accounts.
  • Flexibility to create as many fund accounts as needed.
  • Ability to create a combined statement of revenues and expenses for multiple funds.
  • Very difficult to use - not intuitive at all; I feel like you really need the training to understand the product.
  • Very little automation; everything has to be manually entered which allows the opportunity for more errors and also requires a lot of double and triple-checking entries.
  • Cumbersome and tedious to use; for example, a journal entry that could be done in two lines on other programs, in my experience, takes at least 6 in this program, sometimes more. When you have to do this repeatedly it takes significantly longer to do everything in this program than it should.
  • Constant issues with reporting; reports are often missing funds or are incorrect and I have to call customer support for help. Most of these issues cannot be resolved immediately and a ticket has to be created to solve them.
  • In my opinion, even simple things don't work properly. We recently found out that when exporting results into Excel, if you select to remove headers and footers with the export, the program also removes some of the data. No telling how long this has been an issue, so now we have a data integrity problem with all of our exports. MIP Fund Accounting says it will fix in the next update so this likely affects other users as well.
  • Because the product is so time-consuming and cumbersome, it creates efficiency issues; everything takes longer than it should to complete, so we have to hire additional staff, especially at peak times.
The product does allow flexibility to create as many funds as needed with varying start and end dates, which is very helpful when you have a multitude of grants with different start and end dates. Unfortunately, that flexibility results in a lot of extra work to complete routine accounting; journal entries that would normally take two lines take at least 6. And nothing is automated so all of the lines are completely manually entered which allows for human error and requires careful review. I have used a wide variety of accounting software programs and this is by far the worst I've ever used.
I have been using Abila for the last 3 years to keep the books for a Not for Profit organization consisting of 13 entities. The entities vary in scope from consulting to real estate. The software is very accommodating for not-for-profit accounting that consists of grants, budgeting, etc. The MIP Fund accounting software does not accommodate the real estate quite as well, simply because it is not made for it.
  • A lot of reporting options are available
  • The multi-entity database flows well
  • Simple formatting
  • Ease of use
  • Real Estate functionality
  • Billing module is cumbersome
  • Creating reports can be confusing
I would highly recommend Abila for its ease of use for any type of fund or grant accounting. We also use it for Real Estate including leasing which the software does not have any modules to accommodate.
Joanne Jenkins | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it for our payables, our payroll, our receivables, reporting, budgeting. It's nice to have all aspects of accounting under the same program, making reporting consistent. We recently moved to the Cloud (about 18 months ago). I like the Cloud, but am constantly kicked out of it and there seems to be no resolution for it. The classic version works 99.9% of the time and I am often using that over the Cloud version because it consistently stays available.
  • Being able to design a report exactly as you want.
  • Data entry for payables and receivables.
  • Training
  • The Cloud. It consistently kicks you out and is super frustrating daily.
  • Making adjustments for viewing the Classic Version. It would be nice if you could make the view larger.
  • Deleting very old, unused vendors.
Entering payables is extremely easy and user-friendly. This leads to balancing the bank account being very easy to accomplish each month. I love the Cloud Version for looking up invoices that were paid and balancing out statements. So much easier to read and I like that you can customize the dates.
  • no training
I have been very impressed with the support received. The chat feature is very useful for minor things and when something fairly major happens, the ticket is not closed unless you agree that the problem has been resolved. I have zero complaints about the support I have received from MIP and honestly its not that often that I need it. Which is a good thing and a testimony to the product itself.
I was given little to no training on the system and was able to navigate it quite easily. I was able to learn on the fly, figure out how to build reports and enter in data. This is a huge deal for any organization really. Training is often one of the lowest ranking operations in most companies (at least in my experience) and when you hire the right people, you can be assured they will get this program easily.
I think this product does exactly what it says it will do. Whether you are using the HR/Payroll modules or the accounting modules. You are able to add what you need in modules for your organizational needs. I like how the purchasing module works seamlessly with the payables module.
I have not noticed any downtime with any of the updates, especially now that they are all done through the cloud. Before the cloud our IT department would come in in the middle of the night to do updates to keep from disrupting the day for us. I love that we are no longer responsible for that.
MIP Fund Accounting is our sole accounting software from AP, AR, budgeting, and general ledger. It allows the use of grant tracking easily. It also allows an efficient method for tracking custodial funds (approx. 50+ checking accounts for individuals, approximately 25 shared accounts of those served) that are audited quarterly by the state agency. It also allows tracking of those persons' accounts that we bill for various expenses that the agency forwards the funding for (until reimbursed by either the individual or their funding source). These are essential tasks that require constant monitoring.
  • Budgeting-we have over 25 departmental budgets to enter and it is efficient to do so through MIP.
  • General ledger imports-we now use imports to expedite data entry and review
  • Reporting-the options are numerous so that we can always pull the report needed-be it for the Board, external agencies, or internal requests
  • Audits-each year our external audits have improved due to the capabilities and reporting available.
  • Bank reconciliation-the ability to clear a series of sequential items would expedite the task
  • Screen-should be able to "lock" the preference of the user-it goes away when leaving the screen
  • The dates-on screen should have popped up to explain "document" vs. "effective" in various applications.
It is well suited to non-profit accounting, with the UDF available to further code items as needed. It is especially applicable to the size of the agency we have (budget of 10M). The payroll and HR modules should be better suited to an agency size of ours (300 employees annually). We would love to have the payroll and HR modules so they would integrate straight to the GL but have determined the functionality is not robust enough for the agency and the turnover.
We are a non-profit organization, and we use MIP for our GL, AR, AP, fixed asset depreciation, and monthly allocation of shared costs. We also use it to create our annual operating budget. The reporting features are easy to use and fully customizable. There is also an option to export the reports directly into Excel for further analysis. MIP customer service is readily available, and they are very friendly and helpful. I have resolved several reporting issues by simply calling the help desk. I would like the option to increase the font size as sometimes it is difficult to read on the main screen.
  • customer service
  • reports export to Excel
  • customizable reports
  • display on monitor
  • high cost of compatible checks
The software is appropriate for non-profit accounting as well as managing multiple revenue streams including grants.
Douglas Gates | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MIP Fund Accounting for all of our accounting needs. We use it effectively to manage a significant number of contracts, grants, and funds. We heavily use the application and many of the modules including a significant number of imports to automate our operations. We also use the tool to produce many of our financial statements for our board and internal managers.
  • Segregates funds
  • Manages grants on different time periods
  • The reporting function allows you to easily isolate specific data
  • The Encumbrance module has some issues that I have never seen to be resolved
  • The Full AR Billing Module is a bit cumbersome in the user interface to invoicing
MIP is a great non-profit fund accounting software that is extremely functional, flexible, and affordable. There is newer software out there that has additional bells and whistles, but those all come with significant costs that may be prohibitive to many non-profit organizations both large and small.
March 30, 2022

Great for Grants!

Having a robust system of codes allows us to track the type of funding (federal, state, earned/private/other), restrictions, grants, programs, and departments. We can easily pull reports to slice the data in many different ways, which assists with decision-making. The reporting features are robust, and it's incredibly easy to create customized reports, apply filters and adjust parameters as needed.
  • Set-Up
  • Pricing to add users
  • Data visualization
MIP Fund Accounting is great for any non-profit organization that needs to manage grants or multiple sources of funds. It can be a bit confusing for non-finance personnel so if an organization wants broader access, this program doesn't provide dashboards, charts, or things of that nature that help non-finance personnel easily visualize data.
MIP Fund Accounting is valuable in managing 4 different tax entities; 30+active programs, and numerous funding sources. The accounting interface is straightforward making AP and AR clear to enter, manage and analyze. Reporting is robust allowing for deep analysis.
  • AP - total functions
  • Support is helpful
  • Exporting to excel could be improved by exporting formulas
MIP is able to handle all accounting needs. They offer add-on modules to include payroll, eft payment, and other functions. I wouldn't recommend MIP for small enterprises with limited accounting needs, as it is an in-depth accounting program.
Available to identify what is available in a budget quickly. Ease of using payroll.
  • Budget balances.
  • Encumbrances
  • Separation of funds.
Able to obtain exact account balances as far as what is outstanding in encumbrances for budgets. Budget balances for payroll departments are easily obtained.
Brian York | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MIP as a fund accounting solution and have historically run payroll through it as well. It tracks our grant spending, we run full cycle accounts payable through it and use it for employee expenses as well as payroll. We run our internal reporting through the software and use that for grant billing purposes. We're also working on adding on the Microix product requisition software and digitizing our receipts and such. For its cost, I think MIP is one of the best fund accounting solutions for small to medium non-profits who need a real fund accounting solution but don't need a true ERP system. The biggest weakness is probably the grant management tools, which are not very good and can't have reports run using those fields directly. However, you can use report groups if you're careful and understand the functionality in order to create grant reporting groups to track different end dates and such. MIP has a lot of power and flexibility if you investigate all it can do, many times there are ways to create functionalities that seem lacking, such as through user-defined fields.
  • Fund Accounting
  • Accounts Payable
  • Payroll
  • Human Resources Module is pretty lacking.
  • Grant Management tools and out of the box functionality.
If they are a small to medium non-profit it's an excellent fund accounting solution. It's cost-effective and relatively easy to use. Getting good advice about the setup is very important, it can be cumbersome if, for example, too many segments are set up. The out-of-the-box functionality can be enhanced through the purchase of additional modules, such as Payroll or Accounts Receivable.
March 28, 2022

Mediocore

I do full accounting on MIP including payroll. I have an issue with leave balances and can't seem to get all of them correct. Some reports are frustrating trying to get the information I need or look at what is making up the report.
  • separating funds
  • P & L's
  • Payroll
  • Reports, I would like to be able to drill down on more reports
  • Leave accounting
  • Payroll, I would like to be able to just tell the system I don't want any direct deposits instead of having to go into each employee and uncheck the DD box
Keeping funds separate is a plus
I use MIP Fund Accounting for our accounting needs. These range from daily, weekly, monthly, to annual. For instance, we MIP Fund Accounting for accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, reporting, etc.
  • Reporting is great and you can create and save custom reports
  • The accounts payable module is helpful for paying vendors through ACH
  • The accounts receivable module is used often for cash receipts
  • The accounts payable would be great if there were more paperless automation features
  • The budgeting module could be improved with more reports
  • It would be great if you could easily attach documents to the non cloud version
MIP Fund Accounting is useful for recording various accounting transactions, but the visual design of the system is not the most user friendly.
Budgeting, posting/importing journal entries, approving transactions, reviewing transactions, allocations, and lots of reporting. The reporting is typically custom financial reports, transactions details, trial balances, and some year-end reports. In the Budgeting module, I import and pull reports. My main roles are reporting and budgeting, so most of my activity is in pursuit of those things.
  • Budget interface is pretty easy to use
  • Training offered is great
  • Helpdesk is responsive
  • Drill down ability is not where it could be
  • The budget template wizard does not allow a default user set up so you have to click through and make selections on each screen
  • Would like to see more integration of budget and financial reporting (or learn how to see)
I have a background in using SAP, so I have a lot of experience with that product. While SAP established some of my expectations, that is a much more expensive product that isn't necessarily suited for a smaller business or non-profit. For the smaller, non-profit environment, MIP works quite well. So I would definitely recommend the product for a similar environment.