Overall Satisfaction with Azure Data Lake Storage
We need to store large amount of data that flow daily from our processes as well from external APIs, and we need to keep them for long period of times to perform historical analysis for our clients. Azure Data Lake Storage helps us achieve this goal by providing a secure, fast and large data store for our needs.
- Store large amount of data
- Access this data quickly using Synapse Analytics or Spark/Databricks
- Ingest data quickly so our ingestion APIs are never throttled
- I'd like to see a better cross-platform native client. Azure Data Explorer is fine, but it's far from the "SSMS" kind of experience SQL Server users are used to.
- Listing a large number of file is somewhat problematic and slow. Using the native C# library, running directly on an Azure VM, it can take several hours to list just a couple million files.
- Switching from V1 to V2 requires the creation of a new Storage Account and that's pretty inconvenient.
- Deep integration within the Azure ecosystem, including C# libraries and Azure Synapse Analytics
- Solid internal knowledge
- It's a scalable platform that - contrary to a relational database - support rapid growth in data size without needing ever extensive maintenance
- Being a data company,Azure Data Lake Storage and our "data mart" is really the core of our business
- Migrating from a relational approach to Azure Data Lake Storage has a very short ROI thanks to the significant reduction of running costs
- The ability to move data in the Archive tier helps us to further reduce costs, when needed
We decided long ago to develop for the Azure platform, so we only evaluate products from within Azure. And Azure Data Lake Storage is really the dominant offering within its space. But to give you a comparison, previously we used to use Azure SQL Database for our analytical workloads and then we decided to migrate because maintaining >1TB database was quite a challenge, both in terms of governance and cost.
Do you think Azure Data Lake Storage delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Azure Data Lake Storage's feature set?
Did Azure Data Lake Storage live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Azure Data Lake Storage go as expected?
Would you buy Azure Data Lake Storage again?
You should use Azure Data Lake Storage if you need to store large amount of data for analytical purposes, especially if combined with analytical solutions that support its API, like Azure Databricks or Azure Synapse Analytics. You should not use it for transactional workload, of course.