July 25, 2017
Score 5 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Carbonite DoubleTake
DoubleTake is being used by the IT department to migrate the workload from a number of deprecated systems to a new data centre site and new infrastructure. It addresses the movement of large volumes of data transparently and without impact to the business and allows a seamless switch over from one site to another (ninety miles apart).
- System Synchronisation
- License management is poor and the online system is very restrictive, We are using a one time "Move" product that has a fixed life ... but sometimes in a small team other high priority tasks come along.
- We lost all access to all licenses in the portal and all support because we hadn't used them in ninety days. Very poor service. We did get access back eventually but it took a lot of "bargaining".
- Failover isn't always as smooth as it could be. VMDKs don't release properly and the move fails and has to be done manually. Not hard just frustrating. VMWare to VMWare.
- Moves have been completed without any loss of business and no downtime (previously incurred weekend outages).
- Old equipment has been retired so the architecture is more secure and resilient.
Evaluating Carbonite DoubleTake and Competitors
- Product Features
- Third-party Reviews
A managed service partner recommended the product as one they use and we were able to see its use on an environment they manage for us.
Carbonite DoubleTake Support
Once through to support it is very good and they have assisted us through a number of issues. I don't always think that they provide a solution, more a workaround, but in a move situation where each copy is moving once, that isn't an issue. I'd be more concerned if we were using it to manage a DR scenario.
Problems get solved
Support cares about my success
Not kept informed
We paid to have an engineer online with us and talk us through the first full server failover. This went very smoothly and he spent the remainder of the time we had paid for assisting my colleague to get the setup working properly. This was not part of the engagement but as there was time available he wanted us to be happy and made sure everything was working.