Overall Satisfaction with Control-M
Control-M was introduced across our enterprise to eliminate manual execution of our batch job environment and create a central point of control. This enables us to coordinate activities enterprise-wide and eliminate many issues of data corruption due to timed job execution through crontab, Windows Scheduler, menu-driven job flow releases through menus created in OpenVMS. Product's internal schedules are now visible. Ad-hoc executions are monitored and managed effectively, through one central point of control, providing a complete overview of all activities.
- GUI presentation
- Operations can identify job flows and realize business impact visually
- Provides control within operations
- Processing streams can be halted immediately during a failure, without intervention and eliminates cascading issues and problems
- Self-Service access
- Providing browser access for all our users enables them to view their processes and realize interfaces and impact that their processes have on other systems. User access and viewing reduce delays during problem resolution as it enhances communication and expedites root cause determination.
- Direct product interfaces using modules
- DataStage job schedules are fast and are easily configured as well as Database maintenance functions which can now be linked to before and after DB activities
- Setting up Site Standards needs some enhancements
- More robust functionality for field validation is needed, such as only one Quantitative Resource rule can be applied on multiple QR's defined in a job. Therefore giving warnings on QR standards because each QR must match all QR rules
- Reporting structure is a bit cumbersome and needs a more effective interface. Jumping from panel to panel is not very effective.
- Connection profile password management is tough to maintain. Each entry must be manually updated every time there is a password update. Since our policy is that all system passwords must expire after 180 days and we must be included in all application related password updates. Unfortunately that also is an issue where the Control-M administrator is globally aware of those passwords, which should be held confidentially by each separate group
- ActiveBatch, autosys and AutoSys
More robust on all counts. Control-M has more flexibility, interfaces with more products and has the ability to create your own interface to products. The out of the box setup has you up and running on the same day. The ability for the use of agents and executing jobs agentless reduces unnecessary maintenance activities. Less expensive. Different licensing models that are flexible to suit your environment. Drag and drop schedule construction enables you to build complex job streams more efficiently
The most effective element is the ability to visualize and manage job streams top-down, left-to-right job flows and all identify conditions required prior to a job release and the impact of a successful and unsuccessful job. Another effective element is utilizing Workload Change Manager which establishes an extremely effective interaction with developers and schedulers.