The best dang drafting software available for the price!
Cliff Darnell profile photo
June 19, 2019

The best dang drafting software available for the price!

Score 10 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight

Hello! First off, I love the product. After nearly 30 years of CAD work, I feel it is the most complete package for the price. It has every function I have ever needed, and there was zero learning curve. I produced drawings the day I installed it.
Currently, we are using 3 copies. All 3 are the Pro version. We operate from multiple locations and utilize a cloud base server for ease of access. I am able to produce drawings in Omaha, Nebraska, and our Fabrication guys are able to access the drawings in New Orleans, Louisiana. In addition, our Techs have access to the drawings when on site with a customer anywhere in the world. I've even convinced many customers and vendors to install the software to make communication with the drawings much easier.
  • An excellent, complete package 2D software, with 3D viewing capabilities.
  • The extra tools included in the Pro Version make it well worth the cost!
  • It's extremely easy to understand and utilize right away. Experienced CAD users will have no issues producing accurate drawings immediately.
  • 100% compatible with industry standard drawing file types. We've had no issues at all with interpreting drawings produced by other well-known software platforms.
  • I haven't found any shortcomings, to be honest. The BOM auto-generation function works well, but cannot be customized, so I don't use it.
  • I have had some issues when inserting a PDF file or image into a drawing that shows on the print preview, but doesn't actually print on paper.
  • When inserting a PDF file into a drawing, if you zoom in, you can't zoom in on the PDF image itself...it remains the same size at all times.
  • For $300 annually, it's easily the most effective yearly purchase we make!
  • By having access to free downloads and demos, it allows us to offer Customers an option to try the software with the intent to buy at some point to review our drawings more easily.
  • This is a much more efficient and accurate solution than simply sending PDF files to Customers!
It has worked without fail for 3 years, with zero learning curve. I've been able to produce up to 20 decent fabrication drawings per day.
No, at this time, we are using it as a stand-alone product, other than email, PDF file generation, and direct links to our cloud server for storage/retrieval purposes.
I like the bubbles included in the Pro version! For the first few days, I was using the free demo version and had to draw my own bubbles lol. I like the tools that come with the Pro version, including auto-generated hardware details! It's a very nice feature loaded with lots of great tools!
Drawing production has been seamless since the day we installed the software. It's easy to use for all Engineering functions, and drafting design definitely has never been a bottleneck for us!
AutoCAD (full featured) and AutoCAD Light. For the money, DraftSight outperformed every other package we tried.
It is perfectly suited for machine design, fabrication, and assembly functions within any company. I understand that it is limited when it comes to 3D modeling, but it's not intended to be used as a 3D software package. For every day, efficient, 2D drafting, this software works flawlessly!