Draftsight is great for small design businesses

Julie Cornish | TrustRadius Reviewer

Software Version

Paid

Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight

I am a sole self-builder and designer and so it is only me who uses Draftsight for planning property renovation projects and a new build.
  • Very similar to other leading CAD software e.g. AutoCAD, so if you are already skilled in these Draftsight is quick to pick up.
  • Good display options, and easy shortcuts.
  • Reliable and stable software since purchasing Draftsight at the end of 2019.
  • The Options tools are not laid out very well, hard to find some options for change, not intuitive enough.
  • The Referencing tool is just about OK, but the hierarchy of referenced drawings could be improved for clarity.
  • The esnap function is not always reliable, sometimes it randomly changes and I have to reset them myself.
  • Draftsight allows me to independently prepare my self-build drawings for my own projects.
  • Easy to print from Draftsight so I can manage all print output myself.
  • Accessible from my laptop at home.
AutoCAD: Way too expensive for a one woman band like me with minimal CAD needs.
SketchUP: I don't need quick 3D software so not that appropriate
Draftsight: Affordable for a one-woman band and easy enough to pick up with my existing skills.
My scope of use is probably quite limited but Draftsight is definitely useful for 2d building plans, and referencing of drawings allows accurate layering for different floor plans.