Adobe Photoshop Reviews

Tony Rein | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 06, 2020

A great choice for photo editing.

Photoshop is an integral component of our curriculum, both as a professional education facility that provides instruction to junior and senior high schools in digital media communications. We use Photoshop to create system marketing materials that our company publishes for distribution in local secondary schools for registration. Photoshop is an important program that our students study as part of our curriculum in graphic design and manipulation. Finally, students work for local organizations and companies, create advertisements, posters, leaflets, brochures, digital advertising and banners, video graphics and much more in our class. Photoshop is our first (and mostly last) pause when it comes to making graphics or picture editing.
  • Strongly practical & incredibly flexible — Photoshop helps users to complete a LOT of photo reconstruction, graphic design, development on vectors (such as the design of logo), and digital painting ... also animation.
  • Market Standard — Adobe Photoshop is one of the leading graphics editing tools in the market.
  • Reactive and robust — Photoshop operates very well. I seldom experience device failure problems or crashes. They do what they do, and they do it well.
  • Photoshop is a complex app — the basic tools and features that novice users can only find in the surface of Photoshop. Complete simple image editing (for example redimensioning, cutting and painting) can be easy to pick up easily, but most of the features require time to understand and master — which can be daunting for some people.
  • Photoshop is not a software you can purchase. The Adobe Creative Cloud/Subscriptions Service. In its Innovative Cloud apps, Adobe integrates PS with subscription-based software. It will be perfect for beginners and experts – newcomers can only pay for (monthly) what they need and experts will never have to think about missing new apps because updates are included with the package. However, I have talked to a lot of consumers who just require a working software update, and want to buy a software license, who are completely dissatisfied.
  • Photoshop takes up valuable hard disk space, the machine itself and the images in Photoshop. Plan to host this program with a big hard disk with plenty of memory space.
Photoshop is powerful enough for all graphics needs to use a single program.
Read Tony Rein's full review
Fabio Zenoardo | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 13, 2020

The most powerful photo editing software in the world.

We deal with media, video, and photography, so we use Photoshop daily.
  • I love that all the programs in the suite communicate with each other.
  • I obviously work especially with layers and masks to post-produce my photos.
  • The price. I preferred it when it was at a fixed cost and not a subscription. Although, now it offers much more.
  • I don't see any other flaws. I have also read other reviews. Well, the learning curve is as high as it is logical for a professional product. And it is logical to require a powerful PC.
I'm a video maker and photographer, and I don't see an inappropriate scenario for this software. I don't deal strictly with graphics, for that you can work with Photoshop in combination with Illustrator, but for my work as a photographer it does everything. Cut out, hole green screen, and above all, I spend hours retouching my portraits to models, overlapping levels and actions, and going to work on every detail. Adobe Photoshop is some of the most powerful software in the world.
Read Fabio Zenoardo's full review
Jodi Clark | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 10, 2019

Adobe Photoshop is the Gold Standard for Graphic Design Software

We use Adobe Photoshop for a variety of purposes during the creation of various marketing materials, websites, and social media graphics. Photoshop makes it easy to customize logos, edit and resize photos, match custom brand colors and more. In addition to being an incredible tool for customizing graphics, it's also easy to include text when creating marketing slicks and promotional flyers and ads.
  • Adobe Photoshop makes it easy to edit, customize and resize photos which is perfect for social media applications and for building websites.
  • If you download a logo or other graphic from a stock photo site, Photoshop makes it extremely easy to customize and include the brand's custom colors.
  • Incredible Photoshop templates are readily available on endless sites. Download and open in Photoshop to quickly modify the pre-designed layers. Your final product will look like it took weeks to design and create.
  • The learning curve is a bit steep at first. Perhaps a brief tutorial video could pop up the first time you use each new tool or function. (The user should be given the option to watch or close the video, depending on their needs.)
  • The tool bar shows one icon but hidden under that icon are additional tools. New users might not be aware of the hidden tools.
  • Uploading compatible tools, such as additional brushes, is a bit complicated at first. Perhaps create a simple pathway with an upload button.
Adobe Photoshop is perfect when you need to customize graphics for any purpose and require an extremely professional result. So many websites and marketing materials look like they were built by amateurs simply because the photos weren't cropped and re-sized to properly fit the space, and the colors are "close" but not uniform where needed. Photoshop makes it easy to work with photos and all graphic images.
Read Jodi Clark's full review
Marcos Fuentes | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2020

Design amazing digital art with Adobe Photoshop

The graphic design department uses Adobe Photoshop to create and develop all the graphic content for our company, whether it is for advertising posters or for our social networks, it is a powerful tool that you can learn to use in a short time.
  • Excellent very organized interface.
  • It is very good for making photo montages.
  • I can create 3D designs.
  • It consumes a lot of resources from my computer.
  • It requires a graphics card to be able to render some elements.
  • You don't have many options for working with vectors.
Adobe Photoshop is ideal for any type of company in which you need to make designs constantly, with this tool you can be more productive without a doubt, however, the price of your license and the requirements that computers need to be able to run it make it a not very cheap option.
Read Marcos Fuentes's full review
April 06, 2020

Photoshop - The king of all design software!

At BAPS Charities, we use Photoshop for a lot of reasons. A bulk of this deals with Marketing and Advertising for events. As a non-profit, we have a lot of annual events where we need flyers, posters for the environment, Mailchimp campaigns, logos for those events and signs and banners. We also use these certain elements created in Photoshop in other software by Adobe. So if we create logos within Photoshop with individual layers, we can then animate logos and those individual layers in Adobe After Effects (an advanced video editing software), etc.
Photoshop is actually being used within the design team, video team as well as the marketing team throughout all locations across the country and around the world, so it helps solve a lot of the business problems relating to social events, and content that relates with each and every one of those events.
  • It's the most notable software for graphic manipulation, so it comes with a lot of support from online communities, Youtube, etc.
  • There are lots of sites that provide a baseline for starting every project you can think of ranging from logos, flyers, brochures, signs/ banners, etc, so you can easily download free templates from online and get a project that satisfies you.
  • The interface is pretty simple, and each tool has its own "How to Use" instruction provided in one sentence for easy understanding for each user, so the curve for learning it is not that much.
  • I have a Macbook now, but when I was younger, with a not so powerful Windows computer, Photoshop took a lot of ram and computer power, which made my computer slow and heated up a lot.
  • It's strictly an image/ graphic manipulation software, so it doesn't have much when it comes to vector graphics. So you're basically working with pixels that become blurry at some point when you zoom in too much.
  • Sometimes the cost of Photoshop can be a little depressing. Being a college student with a lot of loans and tuition, sometimes it can get scary with all the monthly subscription cost.
Adobe Photoshop has endless possibilities when it comes to how it can be used and what use cases it provides. As a designer for a non-profit organization and as a college student, a lot of things I've used it for range from creating compelling presentations for school projects to creating logos for charity events (walkathons, health fairs, Flu drives, blood drives, etc), as well as national event graphics ranging from environment posters, background wallpapers, projection screen backdrops, led screen overlays, etc. So this is just a small sample of what Photoshop can achieve.
Some things that it may not be good for are vector graphics. So if you need designs for printing (shirts, etc) that require vectorized files from the printing company, then you would have to get something like Adobe Illustrator, which specialized in vector projects.
March 03, 2020

Hard to learn, but rewarding. It does the job.

I use Adobe Photoshop to edit graphics for my company, though it isn't my primary job. Multiple people in the marketing team have their own accounts, and use it for things like editing graphics for presentations or emails. As a marketing manager, the software is constantly handy -- it allows me to do everything from create mockups for my projects to tweak headshots of colleagues and customers. I love the flexibility of the tool.
  • Photo editing - It's the best tool in the market.
  • Layouts - Though not primarily built for this, it works well enough for the basics.
  • It requires a lot of memory for my laptop. I need to close other applications when I use it!
  • I'm not too fond that it's all cloud-based now.
If you have an eye for graphic design and are willing to learn how to use it, it's the right tool for you. However, if you consider yourself inept, forget about it and select an easier tool like Canva. You kind of need to be willing to open your mind and study what good images/design really is.
February 21, 2020

A must-have for our marketing and comm team

Our small communication team utilizes Adobe Photoshop, as well as our IT director. We mainly use it in creating designs for graphic-based social media posts and marketing emails, and most especially for editing photos for use in publications, including social media, our quarterly magazine, and letters that go out multiple times a year to our supporters, alumni, churches, and donors.
  • Ease of cropping and resizing photos is the biggest use for me, even though it's a robust program capable of a lot more than that! I manage our social media accounts using a social media scheduling tool that requires images to be under 10MB. Photoshop makes it easy for me to quickly resize our high res photos to constraints that fit for this platform.
  • Image retouching is pretty synonymous with Photoshop, but it is still worth highlighting. It is great for quick fixes even if you don't have a ton of knowledge with image editing software. We mainly use it for brightening photos for our print publications, as well as smoothing out any minor flaws in photos, such as missing patches in grass.
  • It sounds silly, but Photoshop makes it easy for me to find the HEX codes I need for use in HTML. Sometimes I need specific colors for our website and marketing mails, and it's easy to find any color in the world I want and quickly grab the HEX that corresponds with it.
  • It would be great if the toolbar was a little more intuitive and detailed, especially for new users. It takes some time to figure out what button serves what purpose, but this is honestly a very minor "downside" to have. There are lots of YouTube videos and other completely free resources to help get a better grasp of Photoshop.
Photoshop is a must-have tool for my organization. Social media is huge for my department, and Photoshop streamlines that process so much by allowing us to easily resize and crop images for optimal viewing on social media. Different platforms sometimes call for different constraints, especially Instagram. Photoshop makes it easy to keep things looking great across all different mediums. It's also a must-have for our print publications, particularly in conjunction with Adobe InDesign.
December 14, 2019

Photoshop is the gold standard for visual content creation

Adobe Photoshop allows me to create unique content as well as retouch/edit photos. It is an essential part of my business, and I use it literally every day. From social media graphics to trade show displays, it can be used for a wide variety of projects. There really are not any other programs out there that can match it in terms of features and capability.
  • Constantly adding new features.
  • Integration with other Adobe products.
  • Initial version releases are usually full of bugs (has been my experience with the last 3 versions).
  • Removal of old features that were part of my workflow.
Adobe Photoshop is great for editing photos and creating original content, but it is not suitable for page layouts or other print projects. For editing and retouching photos there is really no other program out there that can match it. One of my favorite features is the content-aware fill. You have to adjust it a bit, but a retouch that would have taken hours now only takes a few minutes. It’s one of many examples of how Adobe Photoshop remains the photo editor of choice for design professionals.
December 31, 2019

There's nothing like Photoshop! Editing photos/images never been easier!

Adobe Photoshop is used by the marketing department (5 employees) to create content for our website and our weekly newsletter. With Adobe Photoshop we can edit photos and images so they meet our design and branding standards. Some of our web designers also use Adobe Photoshop to create content for our company website.
  • Editing photos (especially for light and color correction).
  • Editing illustrations.
  • Nothing major, Photoshop is the industry lead in terms of image editing software. It requires some training for beginners, since it has tons of functionalities.
Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard in terms of photo/image editing. There's no other software that does what Photoshop does. I do recommend it for any designers/marketers/photographers in the market. The only down side (which may be an issue for some companies) is the price tag. When you have few users, it may become an expensive tool.
page V | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

PhotoShop - My thoughts after using it for 10 years...

We use Photoshop for our creative for our company and for our clients - Ads, email banner headers, digital photo retouching (for when there are errors in photos), designing social media images, print... There are so many applications for it. Ultimately, it helps us create pro graphics and designs and work with high-end graphics to represent our company and that of our clients. It's a vital program in our line of work.
  • Photo Retouching - Some of our clients have photoshoots - and even after the photographer has edited the photos, we have to crop something out, remove a ring, add a background. PhotoShop is our go-to program for that.
  • High-end graphics - We are able to engage in advanced editing, in-detail, and at high Res so that the images that we make (and that represents our clients) are print or screen-ready.
  • Versatility - You can use it for design, layering images, creating new effects, batching your work - there are lots of possibilities with this program.
  • Price: They used to charge $800 every few years for a newer upgraded version, and now it's on subscription status. Now, to use PhotoShop it's $50 per month. It's not awful, but I'd be a more passionate brand evangelist if they took the cost down a bit more :)
  • Adobe PhotoShop CAN but it isn't ideal to create brochures and multi-page print layouts (you can, but InDesign is a much better product for that).
  • Photoshop is OK for social graphics. Adobe SPARK is the new product to help with batch graphics. (thank you adobe).
  • The difficulty of use - This is an advanced program. I really wouldn't recommend it for newbies. It takes a learning curve to work with it.
Scenarios where we love using PhotoShop:
  • Editing a background
  • Editing someone or something out of a background
  • Removing or adding items to a photo
  • Creating visual effects on or with a photo (making a photo look old or an old photo to look new)
  • Creating print-ready, high-res high-end graphics
  • Creating gradients
  • Creating multi-layer effects on photos
Scenarios where you can use PhotoShop, but other items in Adobe line can facilitate better:
  • Creating illustrations, vectors, or iconic shapes: Adobe Illustrator is better for this
  • Creating multi-page brochures or books: Adobe InDesign is better for this
  • Creating batch images in different renders and sizes for multi-platform media: Adobe Spark is good for this.

This is NOT an easy product to work with. You must have experience and training in order to produce the desired effects (Not for beginners).
Read page V's full review
Nicholas De Salvo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 09, 2019

Photoshop is still the best in its class

We use Photoshop everyday to design graphics, adjust photography, produce mockups, and support various business activities. Though not everyone in our office is a power user, everyone is comfortable opening a file and making adjustments to it on a regular basis. Photoshop is one of the core apps our business uses to provide services to our clients and it would be difficult to do business without it.
  • Edit photography.
  • Design mockups for the web.
  • Create social media graphics.
  • It's a weighty app.
  • Can be overkill for small projects.
  • Steep initial learning curve.
Photoshop has been my default design app for 20 years. It's well-established and quite versatile for many of the things I would like it to do. It fits in well with its product family workflow where you can import from or to Illustrator and prepare graphics for layout in InDesign. It can be weighty and if you're looking for a lot of predesigned templates for social media, it's probably best to look elsewhere, but where Photoshop excels is giving pros the tools to use it how it works for them.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
Tobie Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 22, 2019

Photoshop Rocks!

Our company uses Photoshop for web and print design. We are often using to adjust color in photos, create clipping paths, and save different file types. An advantage is how user friendly it is and it works across all platforms...PC and Mac. Being able to work in layers is also a big bonus.
  • Color adjustment of photographs.
  • Clipping paths.
  • Layered files for web design.
  • Font usage could be a little more using friendly. I would like to have more control of formatting of fonts.
Photoshop is excellent for working with graphics and designing for the web. I would not recommend as a page layout program or for designing things for print.
Read Tobie Anderson's full review
Trish Lofton | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 18, 2019

Adobe Photoshop - The Cadillac of Photo Editing and Design

I currently use Adobe Photoshop to touch up photos and create infographics and advertisements for our department. It is also used for graphic design and photo editing in the university branding and marketing office. It is extremely important to have eye-catching designs and photos to use in printed pieces as well as digital images.
  • Adobe Photoshop provides great features to design an image from a blank canvas.
  • Users are able to create dynamic images for a variety of multimedia platforms.
  • The software is great for creating works of art from a simple photo.
  • This is not an intuitive software for a beginning user, especially if the user has not used any of the Adobe design products.
  • The cost can scare some away. Although you can subscribe to a monthly plan for the cloud version, a stand alone version is very costly.
  • It would be extremely useful to have wizards for creating filters and various types of photo masks. Easily accessible shortcuts would be such a time saver!
Adobe Photoshop is great for not only photo editing but creating beautiful images for a variety of platforms. I have used Photoshop to create designs from business card size to billboards. I have touched up photos and created web images. Photoshop has so many features that I feel like I have barely scratched the surface. It is perfect for social media as well as printed pieces.
Read Trish Lofton's full review
Maryam Qureshi | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 15, 2019

Adobe Photoshop and all the good and bad

Adobe Photoshop is being used by my organization when it comes to designing invites for events, survival guides, documents, programs, menu cards for events... it is also used to create handouts, with images, and to edit photos in print publications. Photoshop is primarily used in that aspect; I am unsure how else it is used.
  • Editing, editing photos, create documents.
  • Creating menus and place cards.
  • Survival guides.
  • It's not very user-friendly, as far as learning all the features.
  • I wish there were more ways to learn how to use these options.
Adobe Photoshop is great when you are trying to work on something from scratch, or creating something that is original. Adobe Photoshop is not so great when it comes to having templates that you can just drop text into. Another feature that is lacking is knowing how to naturally use the actual software. If you don't go on to YouTube and look for the tutorial and know it, you might not have be able to know all the functions and capabilities of it.
Read Maryam Qureshi's full review
Ali Walton | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

I will never use any other photo editing software!

We use Adobe Photoshop for the creation of all graphics, images, and photos. Our branding and especially consistent branding is very important to us. Using Adobe Photoshop allows us to keep things consistent, fresh, and professional. As well, we use interns who have an incredibly high turnover rate (about 3 months) to create new templates and thumbnails. Photoshop is simple enough for new interns to learn and understand, but complex enough to allow me to do everything I need on a higher level.
  • It allows you to create unlimited layers to provide depth to all projects.
  • It's very user-friendly and customizable
  • It allows you to create pretty much any style of file need, or change any file format.
  • The magic tool and quick selection tool are great! However, they could use some fine-tuning.
  • I'd love an autosave feature like Adobe Premiere.
  • I would love for a more comprehensive mobile version.
Adobe is perfect for any situation that includes images, photos, or graphics of any sort. I primarily use Photoshop right now to create consistently branded images for thumbnails and music playlist covers. That includes both images of people that need editing and graphics with words that have to have a consistent format.
Read Ali Walton's full review
Natalia Ransom | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 27, 2019

Great retouching and editing tool

I use Photoshop for image retouching which is my own initiative. It makes my work that much stronger. Even though it is not a primary software tool for most designers in a role similar to mine I personally find that it gives me an edge in my work.
  • Image retouching.
  • Basic animations.
  • Color testing for accessibility purposes.
  • Better integration with UX tools.
  • Have commonly used features more prominent.
Photoshop is the only tool I use for retouching. It can be used for simple tasks as well as complex tasks. I wish there was a way to have it be linked to Sketch or other UX applications.
Read Natalia Ransom's full review
Renan Viana | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

If you are looking to scale your business and create high quality graphics, Photoshop is the right solution

As a graphic designer, I use Adobe Photoshop on a daily basis. I design flyers, banners, Social Media posts, etc for businesses all around the world.
  • Removing background
  • Automating certain things i.e adding an image or logo to all images in one click.
  • Integration with other tools
  • Add more shortcuts like 'rasterize layer' could be Control R for example
I absolutely love Photoshop and it would be impossible to do my job without this tool. I believe it's the most complete tool available out there. It has everything I need and as a graphic designer, I always need to create graphics and edit images for the agencies I work with.
Read Renan Viana's full review
Kyle Trail | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 18, 2019

It's the most known for a reason

Photoshop is used by all graphic and motion graphic designers within our organization. Marketing and Training are the two main departments that are using the software.

In addition to some light design work Photoshop comes in handy for altering photos for specific projects as well as a creation tool I use frequently in video projects I'm structuring.
  • Photo alteration (editing the image in size, resolution, content, and more). Having the ability to adapt photographs and graphics for specific uses is invaluable.
  • Image creation is an important aspect of my work in video and motion graphic creation. Photoshop is used consistently in order for me to deliver the content requested in the manner requested.
  • Photoshop is the "go to" software for working with images worldwide. Let's not pretend otherwise. It's the king of the hill for a reason.
  • There's a learning curve. If you don't know it, you'll be limited in what you can achieve.
  • It's not the most straightforward UI. Sometimes you must dig to find the settings you need.
In any situation where you are creating products utilizing graphics and photos, you must have Photoshop. It's really not up for debate. If you're really working on this type of media, you have to have it like you have to have a powerful computer.
Read Kyle Trail's full review
Lochan Kalicharan | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 18, 2019

Photoshop has features you didn't know you wanted!

Photoshop is used heavily for marketing, large batch photo adjustments and editing projects within the organization for publication. It allows us to quickly make complex edits in batch to large amounts of images in short amounts of time and is very user friendly. It also allows us to easily convert images to other types.
  • Web image generation.
  • Complex editing.
  • Converting image formats.
  • Batch editing.
  • Support could be improved.
  • Steep learning curve for new users.
Photoshop does great when it comes to stitching panoramas, editing large batches of photos and converting images. Cropping is also made easy when transforming images or straightening them out in the crop. The images can be converted into any number of other formats for use on the web or in publications and color can also be fine-tuned.
Read Lochan Kalicharan's full review
Alicia Kramer | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

Photoshop is the bomb!

We use Photoshop almost daily in a variety of ways. It is a superior application for editing and manipulating images. The ability to adjust the color, size and resolution of images far exceeds other similar products. Our work as designers depends on the use of Photoshop and the fact that it is a professional-level program that we can count on for accuracy.
  • Image resolution.
  • Color adjustment.
  • Layering of information about an image.
  • Editing, cropping, and retouching.
  • It is a challenge to learn all of the capabilities Photoshop offers.
It is well suited for large format graphics where resolution is very important. It is best used by professionals who know how to really use the program. It is great for color manipulation or removing unwanted items. Separating elements from their background is made easy through the tools.
Read Alicia Kramer's full review
Mike Cory | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

Get Professional Quality Photos for a Fraction of the Cost

We use Photoshop elements exclusively to edit and prepare our photos for publishing to our website. We have tried other cheaper products but could never find one that could accomplish what Photoshop does.
  • Excellent for removing unwanted backgrounds from photos.
  • Very good at correcting color issues from a bad snapshot.
  • Very fast to resize and transform images.
  • It takes a while for it to open.
  • Need cheaper subscription cost to the full program.
  • I'd like to see a select item by color in the elements version.
Perfect for touching up family or vacation photos but also well suited to the professional photographer. It takes just a while to learn it but once you figure it out it becomes quite easy to use.
Read Mike Cory's full review
Laurence Richardson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Elevates your message!

Photoshop is our go-to for all digital design and elaborate photo editing. Without this amazing tool, we would not be able to convey the message we deliver on a global scale. Additionally, we use PS to craft unique logos and designs to elevate our marketing messages. Photoshop is used daily in our organization and it is highly recommended!
  • Image enhancement.
  • Logo creation.
  • Crafting social media messages.
  • Ease of use.
  • Application file size.
  • Cloud storage capacity.
Adobe Photoshop is well-suited for:
  • Social media messaging through images.
  • Image preparation (cropping, color adjusting, etc).
  • File type creation (PNG, EPS, JPG, etc.).
Read Laurence Richardson's full review
Travis Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 16, 2019

Industry Standard for a Reason!

While I am in no way an expert in Photoshop, this software has been an important piece of my marketing efforts for years (even before my current position). If you are a designer, you're likely using the full Adobe Suite and utilizing InDesign or Illustrator more. However, if you are like me, you may just need to do some minor tweaks to images or other files, and Photoshop is great for that, in addition to having an immense wealth of tools that I don't utilize because I'm not a designer!
  • Industry Standard for Photo Editing
  • Easy to use - even for a novice
  • Finding help via tutorials and YouTube is very easy
  • Can be overwhelming at first
  • There are so many tools that unless you really devote time, it can be tough to know how to do more complex things
  • This is a more expensive software than some....but you do get what you pay for. There is a reason this is an industry standard.
If you do photo editing, this is the software for you. This is especially true if you are not a graphic designer. For someone like me who is a novice or a step above novice, Photoshop provides me the tools I need to do my job without involving professional help.
Read Travis Brown's full review
Rand Habegger | TrustRadius Reviewer

Decades Later, Still the Image Editing Standard

Adobe Photoshop is a highly valuable design tool for the in-house creative team in mMarketing at my company. We use it on a daily basis to quickly create graphic assets for email and social campaigns, digital ads, web graphics, collateral, trade show graphics, etc. Other departments have individual team members who occasionally use it, but the marketing creative team are the primary users.
  • Excellent photo-editing capabilities. Not as robust as Lightroom, but more than sufficient for most design needs.
  • Smart Objects are a life-saver. They allow for flexibility in editing a placed object in its original file format (e.g. editing a vector smart object in Illustrator with changes applying immediately in Photoshop).
  • History Panel is equally a life-saver. As a 20-year veteran of Photoshop, I remember the days of no history or limited history, which forced designers to save out multiple versions throughout the design process or risk making impossible-to-revert changes.
  • Healing brushes (all the varieties) are amazingly smart and useful in touching up photos without painstaking use of the rubber stamp tool.
  • Infinite history would be an improvement over the large, but still limited, number of re-do's currently available.
  • Text editing in Photoshop could be more consistent with Illustrator/InDesign.
  • Saving to various formats (.jpg, .pdf) has been buggy with recent Mac OS releases.
Photoshop is still the industry standard for photo editing/compositing, and I highly recommend it for those purposes. It is certainly now more of a niche product than it was two decades ago when I started using Photoshop 3, especially related to web design, where I used to use Photoshop to build whole page designs. While Photoshop is still useful for creating individual graphics and web images, many other products like Sketch, Adobe XD, and even Illustrator are better suited for more extensive web design.
Read Rand Habegger's full review
Jennifer Hess | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

An industry standard

We use Photoshop to prepare product mockups for clients, create flat web designs, build digital assets, and for basic retouching and editing. I am currently the only team member using Photoshop, though we do periodically work with interns who assist with build-outs for clients. I also have sharing access to other clients' libraries which I help manage, maintain & create assets within their CC files & folders. Using Photoshop CC, we are able to easily share assets without having to relink or manually send linked/packaged assets. It also helps clients have access to the assets created during a project without having to do a large file transfer at project completion (works best if they have their own CC account that we can contribute to since library ownership is non-transferrable).
  • Lots of tools & solutions that allow it to be used for both quick & simple tasks and for more complex editing projects.
  • Ability to access, use and add to Library assets quickly and easily.
  • Ability to run automation/scripts to expedite manual processes that are repeated.
  • Graphic layers, adjustment layers, and masks provide flexibility when editing to best achieve the desired result.
  • Compatibility with a Wacom pen tablet for increased control and precision when using tools.
  • Certain updates and key commands differ in Photoshop than in other CC products (like Illustrator and InDesign), which makes switching between products a little cumbersome (e.g., in Photoshop the default is for images to scale in-proportion, in Illustrator you must hold shift to retain proportion).
  • On dual display monitors, sometimes the palettes have difficulty displaying correctly (e.g., splitting between displays) and application window settings have to be switched in order to reset it.
  • There are so many tools and capabilities, it can be overwhelming for new users or to feel like you really have a grasp on everything it can do.
  • Actions don't work with Libraries, so if you need to place a logo (e.g., for watermarking), it still has to be done locally, which makes sharing actions between team members very difficult and must be re-setup locally for each person.
Works well for digital assets, web design, photo-editing, retouching, comping, and mockups. I know there are now other Adobe products which may be better suited for mockups, or new features available in InDesign, for example, which offer design features for digital products like ebooks and apps. Photoshop is useful for preparing photos or embedded assets for print, ensuring they have the appropriate resolution and color profile. However, for creating vector-based art or text-heavy projects like a booklet, Illustrator or InDesign would likely be a better fit (depending on the project).
Read Jennifer Hess's full review

About Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop is the best known graphics product on the market.