Adobe Photoshop Reviews

Do you work for this company?

page V profile photo
We use Photoshop for our creative for our company and for our clients - Ads, email banner headers, digital photo retouching (for when there are errors in photos), designing social media images, print... There are so many applications for it. Ultimately, it helps us create pro graphics and designs and work with high-end graphics to represent our company and that of our clients. It's a vital program in our line of work.
  • Photo Retouching - Some of our clients have photoshoots - and even after the photographer has edited the photos, we have to crop something out, remove a ring, add a background. PhotoShop is our go-to program for that.
  • High-end graphics - We are able to engage in advanced editing, in-detail, and at high Res so that the images that we make (and that represents our clients) are print or screen-ready.
  • Versatility - You can use it for design, layering images, creating new effects, batching your work - there are lots of possibilities with this program.
  • Price: They used to charge $800 every few years for a newer upgraded version, and now it's on subscription status. Now, to use PhotoShop it's $50 per month. It's not awful, but I'd be a more passionate brand evangelist if they took the cost down a bit more :)
  • Adobe PhotoShop CAN but it isn't ideal to create brochures and multi-page print layouts (you can, but InDesign is a much better product for that).
  • Photoshop is OK for social graphics. Adobe SPARK is the new product to help with batch graphics. (thank you adobe).
  • The difficulty of use - This is an advanced program. I really wouldn't recommend it for newbies. It takes a learning curve to work with it.
Scenarios where we love using PhotoShop:
  • Editing a background
  • Editing someone or something out of a background
  • Removing or adding items to a photo
  • Creating visual effects on or with a photo (making a photo look old or an old photo to look new)
  • Creating print-ready, high-res high-end graphics
  • Creating gradients
  • Creating multi-layer effects on photos
Scenarios where you can use PhotoShop, but other items in Adobe line can facilitate better:
  • Creating illustrations, vectors, or iconic shapes: Adobe Illustrator is better for this
  • Creating multi-page brochures or books: Adobe InDesign is better for this
  • Creating batch images in different renders and sizes for multi-platform media: Adobe Spark is good for this.

This is NOT an easy product to work with. You must have experience and training in order to produce the desired effects (Not for beginners).
Read page V's full review
Nicholas De Salvo profile photo
We use Photoshop everyday to design graphics, adjust photography, produce mockups, and support various business activities. Though not everyone in our office is a power user, everyone is comfortable opening a file and making adjustments to it on a regular basis. Photoshop is one of the core apps our business uses to provide services to our clients and it would be difficult to do business without it.
  • Edit photography.
  • Design mockups for the web.
  • Create social media graphics.
  • It's a weighty app.
  • Can be overkill for small projects.
  • Steep initial learning curve.
Photoshop has been my default design app for 20 years. It's well-established and quite versatile for many of the things I would like it to do. It fits in well with its product family workflow where you can import from or to Illustrator and prepare graphics for layout in InDesign. It can be weighty and if you're looking for a lot of predesigned templates for social media, it's probably best to look elsewhere, but where Photoshop excels is giving pros the tools to use it how it works for them.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
Trish Lofton profile photo
I currently use Adobe Photoshop to touch up photos and create infographics and advertisements for our department. It is also used for graphic design and photo editing in the university branding and marketing office. It is extremely important to have eye-catching designs and photos to use in printed pieces as well as digital images.
  • Adobe Photoshop provides great features to design an image from a blank canvas.
  • Users are able to create dynamic images for a variety of multimedia platforms.
  • The software is great for creating works of art from a simple photo.
  • This is not an intuitive software for a beginning user, especially if the user has not used any of the Adobe design products.
  • The cost can scare some away. Although you can subscribe to a monthly plan for the cloud version, a stand alone version is very costly.
  • It would be extremely useful to have wizards for creating filters and various types of photo masks. Easily accessible shortcuts would be such a time saver!
Adobe Photoshop is great for not only photo editing but creating beautiful images for a variety of platforms. I have used Photoshop to create designs from business card size to billboards. I have touched up photos and created web images. Photoshop has so many features that I feel like I have barely scratched the surface. It is perfect for social media as well as printed pieces.
Read Trish Lofton's full review
Maryam Qureshi profile photo
Adobe Photoshop is being used by my organization when it comes to designing invites for events, survival guides, documents, programs, menu cards for events... it is also used to create handouts, with images, and to edit photos in print publications. Photoshop is primarily used in that aspect; I am unsure how else it is used.
  • Editing, editing photos, create documents.
  • Creating menus and place cards.
  • Survival guides.
  • It's not very user-friendly, as far as learning all the features.
  • I wish there were more ways to learn how to use these options.
Adobe Photoshop is great when you are trying to work on something from scratch, or creating something that is original. Adobe Photoshop is not so great when it comes to having templates that you can just drop text into. Another feature that is lacking is knowing how to naturally use the actual software. If you don't go on to YouTube and look for the tutorial and know it, you might not have be able to know all the functions and capabilities of it.
Read Maryam Qureshi's full review
Ali Walton profile photo
We use Adobe Photoshop for the creation of all graphics, images, and photos. Our branding and especially consistent branding is very important to us. Using Adobe Photoshop allows us to keep things consistent, fresh, and professional. As well, we use interns who have an incredibly high turnover rate (about 3 months) to create new templates and thumbnails. Photoshop is simple enough for new interns to learn and understand, but complex enough to allow me to do everything I need on a higher level.
  • It allows you to create unlimited layers to provide depth to all projects.
  • It's very user-friendly and customizable
  • It allows you to create pretty much any style of file need, or change any file format.
  • The magic tool and quick selection tool are great! However, they could use some fine-tuning.
  • I'd love an autosave feature like Adobe Premiere.
  • I would love for a more comprehensive mobile version.
Adobe is perfect for any situation that includes images, photos, or graphics of any sort. I primarily use Photoshop right now to create consistently branded images for thumbnails and music playlist covers. That includes both images of people that need editing and graphics with words that have to have a consistent format.
Read Ali Walton's full review
Natalia Ransom profile photo
I use Photoshop for image retouching which is my own initiative. It makes my work that much stronger. Even though it is not a primary software tool for most designers in a role similar to mine I personally find that it gives me an edge in my work.
  • Image retouching.
  • Basic animations.
  • Color testing for accessibility purposes.
  • Better integration with UX tools.
  • Have commonly used features more prominent.
Photoshop is the only tool I use for retouching. It can be used for simple tasks as well as complex tasks. I wish there was a way to have it be linked to Sketch or other UX applications.
Read Natalia Ransom's full review
Renan Viana profile photo
As a graphic designer, I use Adobe Photoshop on a daily basis. I design flyers, banners, Social Media posts, etc for businesses all around the world.
  • Removing background
  • Automating certain things i.e adding an image or logo to all images in one click.
  • Integration with other tools
  • Add more shortcuts like 'rasterize layer' could be Control R for example
I absolutely love Photoshop and it would be impossible to do my job without this tool. I believe it's the most complete tool available out there. It has everything I need and as a graphic designer, I always need to create graphics and edit images for the agencies I work with.
Read Renan Viana's full review
Kyle Trail profile photo
Photoshop is used by all graphic and motion graphic designers within our organization. Marketing and Training are the two main departments that are using the software.

In addition to some light design work Photoshop comes in handy for altering photos for specific projects as well as a creation tool I use frequently in video projects I'm structuring.
  • Photo alteration (editing the image in size, resolution, content, and more). Having the ability to adapt photographs and graphics for specific uses is invaluable.
  • Image creation is an important aspect of my work in video and motion graphic creation. Photoshop is used consistently in order for me to deliver the content requested in the manner requested.
  • Photoshop is the "go to" software for working with images worldwide. Let's not pretend otherwise. It's the king of the hill for a reason.
  • There's a learning curve. If you don't know it, you'll be limited in what you can achieve.
  • It's not the most straightforward UI. Sometimes you must dig to find the settings you need.
In any situation where you are creating products utilizing graphics and photos, you must have Photoshop. It's really not up for debate. If you're really working on this type of media, you have to have it like you have to have a powerful computer.
Read Kyle Trail's full review
Lochan Kalicharan profile photo
Photoshop is used heavily for marketing, large batch photo adjustments and editing projects within the organization for publication. It allows us to quickly make complex edits in batch to large amounts of images in short amounts of time and is very user friendly. It also allows us to easily convert images to other types.
  • Web image generation.
  • Complex editing.
  • Converting image formats.
  • Batch editing.
  • Support could be improved.
  • Steep learning curve for new users.
Photoshop does great when it comes to stitching panoramas, editing large batches of photos and converting images. Cropping is also made easy when transforming images or straightening them out in the crop. The images can be converted into any number of other formats for use on the web or in publications and color can also be fine-tuned.
Read Lochan Kalicharan's full review
Alicia Kramer profile photo
October 17, 2019

Photoshop is the bomb!

We use Photoshop almost daily in a variety of ways. It is a superior application for editing and manipulating images. The ability to adjust the color, size and resolution of images far exceeds other similar products. Our work as designers depends on the use of Photoshop and the fact that it is a professional-level program that we can count on for accuracy.
  • Image resolution.
  • Color adjustment.
  • Layering of information about an image.
  • Editing, cropping, and retouching.
  • It is a challenge to learn all of the capabilities Photoshop offers.
It is well suited for large format graphics where resolution is very important. It is best used by professionals who know how to really use the program. It is great for color manipulation or removing unwanted items. Separating elements from their background is made easy through the tools.
Read Alicia Kramer's full review
Mike Cory profile photo
We use Photoshop elements exclusively to edit and prepare our photos for publishing to our website. We have tried other cheaper products but could never find one that could accomplish what Photoshop does.
  • Excellent for removing unwanted backgrounds from photos.
  • Very good at correcting color issues from a bad snapshot.
  • Very fast to resize and transform images.
  • It takes a while for it to open.
  • Need cheaper subscription cost to the full program.
  • I'd like to see a select item by color in the elements version.
Perfect for touching up family or vacation photos but also well suited to the professional photographer. It takes just a while to learn it but once you figure it out it becomes quite easy to use.
Read Mike Cory's full review
Laurence Richardson profile photo
October 16, 2019

Elevates your message!

Photoshop is our go-to for all digital design and elaborate photo editing. Without this amazing tool, we would not be able to convey the message we deliver on a global scale. Additionally, we use PS to craft unique logos and designs to elevate our marketing messages. Photoshop is used daily in our organization and it is highly recommended!
  • Image enhancement.
  • Logo creation.
  • Crafting social media messages.
  • Ease of use.
  • Application file size.
  • Cloud storage capacity.
Adobe Photoshop is well-suited for:
  • Social media messaging through images.
  • Image preparation (cropping, color adjusting, etc).
  • File type creation (PNG, EPS, JPG, etc.).
Read Laurence Richardson's full review
Travis Brown profile photo
While I am in no way an expert in Photoshop, this software has been an important piece of my marketing efforts for years (even before my current position). If you are a designer, you're likely using the full Adobe Suite and utilizing InDesign or Illustrator more. However, if you are like me, you may just need to do some minor tweaks to images or other files, and Photoshop is great for that, in addition to having an immense wealth of tools that I don't utilize because I'm not a designer!
  • Industry Standard for Photo Editing
  • Easy to use - even for a novice
  • Finding help via tutorials and YouTube is very easy
  • Can be overwhelming at first
  • There are so many tools that unless you really devote time, it can be tough to know how to do more complex things
  • This is a more expensive software than some....but you do get what you pay for. There is a reason this is an industry standard.
If you do photo editing, this is the software for you. This is especially true if you are not a graphic designer. For someone like me who is a novice or a step above novice, Photoshop provides me the tools I need to do my job without involving professional help.
Read Travis Brown's full review
Rand Habegger profile photo
Adobe Photoshop is a highly valuable design tool for the in-house creative team in mMarketing at my company. We use it on a daily basis to quickly create graphic assets for email and social campaigns, digital ads, web graphics, collateral, trade show graphics, etc. Other departments have individual team members who occasionally use it, but the marketing creative team are the primary users.
  • Excellent photo-editing capabilities. Not as robust as Lightroom, but more than sufficient for most design needs.
  • Smart Objects are a life-saver. They allow for flexibility in editing a placed object in its original file format (e.g. editing a vector smart object in Illustrator with changes applying immediately in Photoshop).
  • History Panel is equally a life-saver. As a 20-year veteran of Photoshop, I remember the days of no history or limited history, which forced designers to save out multiple versions throughout the design process or risk making impossible-to-revert changes.
  • Healing brushes (all the varieties) are amazingly smart and useful in touching up photos without painstaking use of the rubber stamp tool.
  • Infinite history would be an improvement over the large, but still limited, number of re-do's currently available.
  • Text editing in Photoshop could be more consistent with Illustrator/InDesign.
  • Saving to various formats (.jpg, .pdf) has been buggy with recent Mac OS releases.
Photoshop is still the industry standard for photo editing/compositing, and I highly recommend it for those purposes. It is certainly now more of a niche product than it was two decades ago when I started using Photoshop 3, especially related to web design, where I used to use Photoshop to build whole page designs. While Photoshop is still useful for creating individual graphics and web images, many other products like Sketch, Adobe XD, and even Illustrator are better suited for more extensive web design.
Read Rand Habegger's full review
Jennifer Hess profile photo
October 15, 2019

An industry standard

We use Photoshop to prepare product mockups for clients, create flat web designs, build digital assets, and for basic retouching and editing. I am currently the only team member using Photoshop, though we do periodically work with interns who assist with build-outs for clients. I also have sharing access to other clients' libraries which I help manage, maintain & create assets within their CC files & folders. Using Photoshop CC, we are able to easily share assets without having to relink or manually send linked/packaged assets. It also helps clients have access to the assets created during a project without having to do a large file transfer at project completion (works best if they have their own CC account that we can contribute to since library ownership is non-transferrable).
  • Lots of tools & solutions that allow it to be used for both quick & simple tasks and for more complex editing projects.
  • Ability to access, use and add to Library assets quickly and easily.
  • Ability to run automation/scripts to expedite manual processes that are repeated.
  • Graphic layers, adjustment layers, and masks provide flexibility when editing to best achieve the desired result.
  • Compatibility with a Wacom pen tablet for increased control and precision when using tools.
  • Certain updates and key commands differ in Photoshop than in other CC products (like Illustrator and InDesign), which makes switching between products a little cumbersome (e.g., in Photoshop the default is for images to scale in-proportion, in Illustrator you must hold shift to retain proportion).
  • On dual display monitors, sometimes the palettes have difficulty displaying correctly (e.g., splitting between displays) and application window settings have to be switched in order to reset it.
  • There are so many tools and capabilities, it can be overwhelming for new users or to feel like you really have a grasp on everything it can do.
  • Actions don't work with Libraries, so if you need to place a logo (e.g., for watermarking), it still has to be done locally, which makes sharing actions between team members very difficult and must be re-setup locally for each person.
Works well for digital assets, web design, photo-editing, retouching, comping, and mockups. I know there are now other Adobe products which may be better suited for mockups, or new features available in InDesign, for example, which offer design features for digital products like ebooks and apps. Photoshop is useful for preparing photos or embedded assets for print, ensuring they have the appropriate resolution and color profile. However, for creating vector-based art or text-heavy projects like a booklet, Illustrator or InDesign would likely be a better fit (depending on the project).
Read Jennifer Hess's full review
John Chavez profile photo
I am an instructional designer and a big bulk of my work is around creating courses and in many situations I have to edit images to make them better or highlight them in a course; this is instrumental for what I do in my department. For other departments, I sometimes support the marketing team and help them create/fix images as needed for shows.
  • Has an abundance of features that can fix any number of problems
  • Lots of tutorials and how to's online
  • Easy to implement
  • It is not user friendly, it takes a very long time to master Photoshop
Photoshop is a powerful tool that is useful when editing photography especially if it's an old photo that has been digitized or video footage that just needs some cutting or updating. Where Photoshop suffers is that it's not an easy program to master and simple tasks that are better utilized by other programs such as powerpoint, Snagit, or even word that can do these simple edits.
Read John Chavez's full review
Sam Bean profile photo
We use Adobe Photoshop on a daily basis to modify photos for use on the web, create animated GIF files, do photo compositing, photo retouching and to prepare images for print. It is our "go-to" program for all things related to photo and image editing. It is a robust product with a large feature set allowing images to be processed for use in a wide variety of media - 2D and 3D - and works seamlessly with other Adobe products, like Illustrator and InDesign. We could not do without it. I have used/tried some other products over the years, and nothing is as easy to use, feature-rich, and intuitive as Photoshop.
  • Works well with all other Adobe products.
  • Fantastic for all levels of image processing.
  • Easy to work with.
  • Always up-to-date.
  • They occasionally change the way a feature works without warning, so you get a surprise after an update.
  • The user interface does not quite match between Windows and Mac. So if you are working cross-platform, it can be annoying.
  • It requires a long learning curve, even though it is not really hard to use, just because it is feature-rich.
I use it to work on images from portrait to commercial to fine art and Photoshop performs well in all cases. I also import a lot of vector art from Illustrator, which is extremely easy. I also batch process large numbers of images to prep them for e-commerce use, so it takes minutes, not hours, by using Photoshop.

It probably is not the best for HDR work, as there are several other over the top HDR utilities that do a lot more in that area.
Read Sam Bean's full review
Nicholas Yager profile photo
August 16, 2019

Photoshop review

We use Photoshop to mark up maps, photos, etc. in order to effectively communicate information to others. Also utilized to generate time-lapse compositions of project progress. Photoshop is an essential tool for architects as they create renderings for clients. When used to its full extent, the software can quickly enhance, alter or generate images.
  • Enhancing photos.
  • Changing backgrounds.
  • Creating layers.
  • Tutorials.
  • File converting.
  • Feathering.
Photoshop is well suited to edit, enhance or create images. The limit is endless as to the possibility of what can be created. Whether the user is using one photo or one-hundred, the program lets you easily keep a record of every action through the layers. Photoshop should not be used in a scenario when images should not be altered for ethical reasons.
Read Nicholas Yager's full review
Matt Graf profile photo
We use Photoshop in all of our design work. We use it for graphic design purposes, but also in creating graphics for video projects as well. It is a tried and true software and we wouldn't be able to do everything we need to in order to succeed with out it!
  • Photoshop makes it really easy to adjust settings on photography projects
  • Photoshop is great for making graphic design pieces
  • Incorporating photography and graphic design together is very simple to do!
  • Photoshop is one of the best programs out there. I really can't think of anything it doesn't do well.
Photoshop is great if you want to take your photography work to the next level. Learning to use photoshop can turn a novice photographer into someone who looks more professional. A lot of good photography work happens after the pictures are taken and what the photographer does with it after the fact.
Read Matt Graf's full review
Tracee Meyers profile photo
August 09, 2019

Photoshop for Life

I use Photoshop in almost everything I do on a daily basis in the marketing department. I use it for making social media pushes, email blasts, advertisements, online publications and of course for cleaning up photos and editing purposes. Photoshop makes it possible to come up with the best looking artwork and is heavily involved in the luxury that our product conveys, it brings our product and our creations to life.
  • Photoshop hides my mistakes! If something ever needs to be touched up or edited, Photoshop makes that possible and easy. By simply using the touch up tool I can easily cover up blemishes on faces or dirt spots on athletic equipment.
  • Photoshop makes it easy to edit text, delete text, and create text.With various options I can easily and quickly make any word into a gleaming billboard with just a few edits.
  • Effects in Photoshop make it super easy to blur out backgrounds, transform my subjects and create visual effects quickly and efficiently.
  • Photoshop takes a long time to learn everything there is to learn. For some people Photoshop is simply too complicated.
  • The magnetic lasso tool frustrates me, I wish it was a little more accurate and a lot simpler. I understand there are better and more effective ways, but its just a pointless tool that to me does not function the way it should
  • I think there should be an auto group option for the layers where it automatically detects if something is text and then groups all the text layers into one folder. Would just make it more efficient.
If you are doing simple tasks, Photoshop may be too complicated, but if you spend your day editing and creating images, then Photoshop is completely necessary.
Read Tracee Meyers's full review
Donald Boivin profile photo
Photoshop is now used by many persons on the flow (over 200 persons) during production. Artists use it to create textures and different types of maps. With Photoshop, we can easily give a nice look to our games.
  • Easy to learn. Learning curve is super fast
  • Easy concept of layers
  • Many different export formats available
  • We are using it in the video game industry but Photoshop does not have a good solution to build a normal map
  • The normal maps are used in the game industry for a long time, but everyone has to use a different software for them
  • Extracting map for 3D models. Photoshop SHOULD have a "extractor map." Adobe should look to how Xnormal does it.
Manual re-touch is super easy. Copy channel, color correcting is also super easy. Masking is really nice. Map extractor SHOULD be there soon. But features for the gaming industry are not there.
Read Donald Boivin's full review
Emily Giannakas profile photo
I currently use Adobe Photoshop to touch up employee pictures and different designs that I've created and put up on our website. It helps us keep the business at a level of professionalism that we strive for each and every day.
  • Lots of creative features
  • Create a beautiful picture every time
  • Ability to do a lot with layers
  • Improve on loading speed.
  • Maybe there's a way to condense the amount of individual layers when doing a lot to doctor a photo.
Photoshop is honestly great for anything to do with photos. I really can't think of a time when it wouldn't be a good option for making changes/edits to photos.
Read Emily Giannakas's full review
Josh Randall profile photo
I use Photoshop with various projects for clients and for personal projects as well. It's great for many uses including graphic design and of course photo editing. I use it regularly.
  • It's great for graphic design.
  • I use it for single and batch photo editing.
  • I think Photoshop could be more user-friendly for users who don't use it every day. Sometimes it's hard to remember all the steps to do certain tasks.
  • I absolutely hate the subscription model Adobe has gone to. I would much rather by a license for a particular version.
It's great for graphic design and photo editing. Definitely good for any web design and graphic design business. I think Illustrator is better for creating print designs.
Read Josh Randall's full review
Frank Troglauer profile photo
Adobe Photoshop is used in so many ways at our company. It is used in the creation of UI elements for websites and for software and also for marketing material creation. It is also used in the creation of textures for 3D models and assets. All of our artists use it and the continued updates and new features continue to help our artists create what they need efficiently.
  • Quick export of assets using batch export for use in software application development.
  • The ability to extract elements from images with the use of the quick selection tool and masks is great.
  • The ability to export images for the web in multiple formats and at an optimized resolution is so useful.
  • Inclusion of web export options for web imagery.
It is greater for photo manipulation or asset creation but it isn't possible to create vector imagery, which is why there is Adobe Illustrator.
Read Frank Troglauer's full review
Adobe Photoshop is mainly used by two departments in our organization. One is the graphics team, another is the marketing team. The graphics team uses Photoshop to design wireframe, mockup and the final UI of websites or Android software before sending it to the developer team. This minimizes the problems of visualization of a concept. And the marketing team uses Photoshop to create ad posters and infographics. Professional marketing services would cost a lot, so Photoshop saves a few bucks there.
  • It is a great design tool. It really helps to realize any concept into something that looks similar to the original idea.
  • Also, it is a great photo editing tool. No matter how much effort you give clicking a photo, there will be flaws. It helps resolving those flaws.
  • The integrated stock library is a time-saver. I can find the perfect image that suits an ad-poster or infographic.
  • Sometimes the developers need different file formats of an image to implement it on a website. Photoshop provides a lot of formats.
  • The software is heavy for low-end machines. Startups like us are low on budget and can't afford high-end machines. In those computers (RAM - 4 GB and Gfx < 2GB), it takes some time to load the app. And sometimes when editing multiple files, it lags a lot.
  • The interface is overwhelming. The trained graphics designers are completely fine with the interface. But people like us in the marketing team find it difficult to reach out to all the options when in a hurry.
  • The software is expensive. It's a lot of money to pay per month for the product, especially when some of the similar programs are being offered for free.
If you're looking for a tool to create advanced graphics, superbly edit your photos, manipulate them, or create a mere ad poster it is a good tool for you. But only if you are pretty expert in using computers. If you're just starting out it will take you some time to adjust to the overwhelming interface.

About Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop is the best known graphics product on the market.