Overall Satisfaction with Edmodo
I use Edmodo as a way to enhance (not replace) the experiences that parents and students have with what I would already normally be doing in my classroom. I teach in a setting where I only see my students a few times a week, so being able to communicate with them while working from home has been essential. Posting assignments on Edmodo gives students a chance to see written reminders of directions and due dates that I've stated orally. Putting assignments online also gives me the chance to attach files, link websites, and allow students to learn 21st Century skills all while saving paper and ink. Posting my learning targets, success criteria, and assignments for parents and missing students to see creates transparency and helps absent students get caught up. I never have to worry about losing an assignment... and it's helpful to have saved and organized digital copies of assignments that my students turn in. Sometimes I'll be able to have conversations with students through Edmodo that would be uncomfortable for students to initiate. Linked parent accounts create total transparency and trust regarding such conversations. I completed my Master's thesis on the topic of using Edmodo in an alternative learning environment and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Teachers, once you go to Edmodo, you won't go back!
- Communicating with students and parents.
- Gradebook that allows students and parents to constantly monitor student progress.
- The social learning environment is awesome! Sometimes students help each other before I need to even get involved.
- Automated grading of quizzes.
- The lack of weighted grading features has frustrated some of my colleagues.
- The inability for parents to engage in any two-way communication has frustrated some.
- The "fill-in-blank" feature of the quizzes is only useful if you're checking for the exact word and spelling that ought to go in the blank.
I don't want to be left behind in an age where using educational technology is becoming more and more important. I took a part-time job that was open to the use of such technology over a full-time job because of how important this is to me. Without charging me anything or bombarding me with advertisements, Edmodo has given me the ability to enhance a number of aspects of my classroom and I am very grateful.