March 18, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Fastly
Fastly is a highly performant CDN and edge computer service, with an impressive list of clients that use its services. Unlike most traditional CDNs, Fastly requires that all traffic be served through it via a CNAME change, similar to CloudFlare (as opposed to a more traditional CDN, like Cloudfront or MaxCDN). This gives Fastly the ability to quickly serve even very low TTL event content, like game scores, news, and stock prices.
- Very performant and fast -- major companies have drastically reduced page load times with Fastly's edge technology.
- Support for many types of media, including video.
- Image add-on makes serving and manipulating images very simple.
- Setup can be difficult -- but only because the service is so robust and provides so many features.
- Minimum spend is $50/month, even if you are not using the service enough to have spent the $50.
- Fastly dramatically reduces load times for clients all over the world thanks to their global system of POPs.
- Fastly is a cost-effective choice when a highly-performant CDN is required and makes it simple to support data that is quickly invalidated.
Fastly is a great choice for CDN vendor when performance and has the ability to quickly invalidate an asset from all POPs very quickly. It shines in use cases that require media delivery, like video. Fastly also provides a highly-optimized way to handle logical operations at the edge, meaning that, for example, quick authorization checks can be handled without having to work with the origin server.
For the use case that it was designed for, Fastly is best-in-class, and used by high-profile companies like Buzzfeed, The New York Times, and Stripe. For websites that require a highly-performant CDN layer, Fastly is a great choice. Fastly is not the best choice for very small companies and very small deployments, and it does not have the ease of implementation into large cloud PaaS vendors like AWS or Azure.