Give GreenLight the Green Light!
September 22, 2015
Give GreenLight the Green Light!
Manager, Training & Development
Unimin CorporationMining & Metals, 1001-5000 employees
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with GreenLight
GreenLight is our company's Learning Management System, used throughout the organization. It is used to set up and track live classroom, virtual, and online training events. It is fully web enabled, so only a web browser is needed to access the site. The features we are using include the Training Calendar, Catalog, Reports, History, References, Learning Plans, and Qualifications.
- Set up of training events and activities - the site is pretty intuitive, after taking the hosted admin training, I was able to get right to work and set up my training activities and events. If I ever need help, good support is just a phone call away.
- Set up of eCourses - the GreenLight LMS is fully SCORM compliant, so I can set up and publish advanced eCourses on the site. It is easy to assign and track completion of these courses as well. It also includes a functional course creation tool, that can be used to manually set up scorm compliant eLearning.
- Qualifications and clusters - a really great feature is the ability to group together eCourses and activities as part of a larger curriculum, assign them to students, and track the progress through to completion.
- Set up of students - I like the fact that I can upload data from a csv file - this saves a great deal of time when updating the information online.
- I would like to see the ability for students to enroll in multiple events. (An event is a training activity that takes place at a certain date, time and location). Currently, students can only enroll in one event (or "instance") of an activity. Sometimes, students need to be able to enroll in multiple sessions of the same course. But, when a training activity is set up with multiple events, the system only allows for one enrollment per training activity. In order to allow multiple enrollments, they have to be setup as individual activities and events. But this then becomes very difficult to set up, and also to track completion from an activity standpoint.
- The ability to search for and download training documents (job aids, help cards, performance support) in the Media bank. Currently, these are only accessible under "Training References", which are not searchable (yet). But there should be a way to set these up in the catalog, as training documents, which can be linked to, searched for, and downloaded on demand.
- Make the training documents in the Media Bank (or Training References) searchable for students. Currently they can be grouped, but it's not possible to search through and locate a specific document. An admin is able to loacte them by searching, but not a student.
- Provide "deep links" to training documents in the Media Bank (or Training References) in GreenLight. So when a user clicks on a link, they are directed to sign in, and brought directly to a page to download the requested document
- Provide "deep links" to training eCourses, Activities and Events in GreenLight, so when a user clicks on a link, they are directed to sign in, and brought directly to a page to enroll in the requested course.
- Add html links to training catalog entries, so we can link out to other sites for additional information. (This used to be functional, but was removed due to security issues, resulting in many, many broken links in our catalog entries).
- Allow managers to assign qualifications and clusters to students. Currently, they can only assign individual courses
- We now have all of our employees fully trained on the use of the system. Our training calendar and catalogs are all updated online. We have every confidence that we can move forward using this technology as a new platform to plan for our corporate wide training initiatives.
- The GreenLight LMS platform will be used to support the delivery and development of training efforts to meet the knowledge, skills and performance needs of the business and employees. This includes technical proficiency, professional development, and overall employee efficiency.
- Maximize the ROI on technical projects and change initiatives, and accelerate the learning curve and commitment to new technologies and ways of working.
- WBT Systems
In my opinion, no comparison. GreenLight is a much smoother platform, providing a more stable user experience, with less bugs, less software conflicts, and better support. I have developed and published dozens of eCourses on this platform, and it really shines. In addition, the suite of integrated products from SilkRoad Technologies (Red Carpet, Open Hire, and WingSpan) really impress when combined with the strength of GreenLight.
It is very well suited as a web based LMS. They have excellent customer service and support. Ask about the reporting features - these are challenging in many LMS applications. The training they provided for administrators is also very good. Overall a great company, and they are constantly working to improve the product.