Overall Satisfaction with HipChat
We used HipChat within our department initially before rolling it out to the company. Within our company we use it to track and comment on JIRA tickets as they progress, manage our standup tracking, and informally poll on new features or what to have for lunch. The wider business use it to keep project discussions all in once place and out of emails.
- JIRA integration and standup management is excellent. The entire dev team can see what everyone's working on even if they're offsite, and can offer suggestions or comments in an open forum.
- The number of integrations is always growing and there's something to solve most issues. Installing and setting up integrations in rooms is really simple.
- I administer the entire group easily without hassle, and keep parts of the system locked down as necessary.
- The web app isn't the smoothest experience, but once you get a desktop/mobile app installed that negates the issue. The OS X app is the nicest by far... All the desktop apps and the website have a dark mode which fits in well with our dev tools.
- Some of the power features aren't too well documented (they're power features after all). I was using HipChat for almost a year before stumbling on the search/replace feature, for instance.
- The search journey is a little disjointed you can't do a global search of your entire history (that I've found, anyway) across all conversations, which can be quite useful if you can't remember who exactly said what.