Hipchat and our hipcat room.
July 01, 2016

Hipchat and our hipcat room.

Sara Sayre | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with HipChat

We use hipchat in our IT department to assist us with communication in developing our software. We use different rooms for each of our teams. The history is extremely helpful to go back to later for information. We also integrate with a calendar to show when team members will be out. We've also used the bots for polls and our daily stand up reports. It's helpful.
  • I like the stand up bot - it's helpful to de-clutter the body of our group chat.
  • I have no recommendations, I really like hipchat.
It's been a great improvement on our monthly deployments. Instead of sitting on an awkward phone call late in the evening we are able to each be within a deployment's chat room which prevents us from having to listen to everyone breathe while listening to awkward silence. We also have an off topic room to give us the opportunity to discuss non work related things. We have another room titled hipcat (love the play on words) which allows up to post funny memes to give us some humor in our day.
iOS - Sometimes the notifications did not tell me who sent the notice. This appears to have been fixed in a recent deployment. I love the mobile app for when I'm at lunch or away and someone needs something immediately.

HipChat (discontinued) Feature Ratings

Audio files
Device sync

Using HipChat

73 - IT development, business analyst,product team, QA, training
2 - I'm not sure, my supervisor controls Hipchat and delegates to others for assistance with Hipchat support.
  • Communication
  • Stand-up reports
  • Deployment Assistance (with communication)
  • Calendar integration to notify when team members will be out of the office
  • Calendar Integration
  • The bots helped with a poll a few times to help us decide where to eat lunch as a team
  • Faster/easier communication with a save history

Evaluating HipChat and Competitors

I'm not sure, this was done before I moved to the department I'm in now.

HipChat Implementation

I don't have insights as I was not a part of the implementation. However, I love the end product.

HipChat Support

The blog of issues/conversations with HipChat support team is very helpful.
ProsCons
Quick Resolution
Good followup
Knowledgeable team
Problems get solved
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response