When Adobe changes their business model, you are not stuck.
February 07, 2021

When Adobe changes their business model, you are not stuck.

Software Version

Power PDF Advanced

Overall Satisfaction with Kofax Power PDF (formerly Nuance Power PDF)

We use Kofax Power PDF as a PDF editor on an almost daily basis for editing site documentation notes, converting documents from .docx to .pdf, and vice-versa depending on end-user requirements. We also use it as a replacement for Adobe Acrobat reader on all our workstations to have a single software platform for all .pdf functions. The main purpose of the software was for quote generation along with editing/updating quotes to send to my clients, this software fills all the boxes in terms of my needs. My backend staff has used the software to digitize our onsite support call notes to be able to efficiently navigate through the records for warranty claims, service disputes, and future support scheduling.
  • Simple document conversion.
  • Powerful editing options.
  • Well planned out toolbar, easy to find necessary functions.
  • Price
  • The text editing feature is sometimes hard to control where the text lands in the document.
  • Slow to load if your just looking for basic PDF access.
  • Searchable feature is a bit cumbersome to setup when you run into nonstandard wording, should be a way to bypass nonmatching dictionary words.
  • Significant cost savings in upfront license cost.
  • When I consult for clients the cost savings have allowed entire companies to utilize this software versus having a few users with Adobe Acrobat.
  • When updating quotes I can make changes directly within the PDF file instead of having to open Word, edit the document, and then use the save-as function to generate a new PDF file.
The UI is very similar to the current Office platform. Visually it does not look as pretty but the features/functions are laid out well to facilitate easy navigation. My staff has been able to pick up on the software rather quickly thanks to this setup. There are also multiple ways to do one thing, the way users work. The right-click menu, keyboard shortcuts, use the icons on the tabs, drop-down menus which are all relevant to the task you're performing.
Kofax does a wonderful job of reducing file sizes. When the software was implemented in a law firm I support that was going through a complete digitized document overhaul they were able to reduce file sizes by up to 70% compared to Acrobat's process. This was immensely helpful to reduce their digital cloud footprint, but also helpful when you are working within an e-mail system (pop) that has file size limits.
I haven't found a need yet to utilize software support for this product.

Do you think Tungsten Power PDF delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with Tungsten Power PDF's feature set?

Did Tungsten Power PDF live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Tungsten Power PDF go as expected?

Would you buy Tungsten Power PDF again?

This answer was taken from one of my clients when asked about the software. Our legal team is able to create, edit, and manage PDFs just as if we had our Adobe subscriptions from before. Our favorite features include creating PDFs, in-line editing, simple one-click file conversions, "office" style ribbon that just makes sense.

As for myself, the OCR search feature has been very handy for my business. We use it to digitize manufacturer support guides to allow for quick search access, it also comes in handy when looking up old onsite service records to resolve any disputes with clients. Saves my backend staff a tremendous amount of time not having to manually search through paper documents. I have been able to update quotes while onsite with clients and quickly close the transaction without having to circle back after I return to the office.
When working with complex/long PDF documents the software sometimes does not convert properly to the new format requested. Also when trying to merge multiple documents or embed pages within a large file it is a little complicated to re-organize the paging sequence. This could be a failure in user function, but the page embedding/merge never seems to end up how I envision. This is mainly an issue when we have multiple service technicians on a support call and my back office staff needs to merge multiple support records in proper order.