Overall Satisfaction with Kofax TotalAgility
My company utilizes TotalAgility as a platform to provide workflow automation, document management, and decision making processes to companies looking to supplement or replace their mail center operations. The platform allows us as a solution provider to provide customized implementations that can easily be scaled and handle unique instances of document extraction, routing, and interfacing with a customer's external systems with ease.
- TotalAgility excels as a workflow platform that at a basic level can easily be implemented by BAs or junior developers while also being a platform that can easily be extended to provide a very customized and unique solution for a business.
- Utilizing the components from Kofax Transformation Modules, Kofax Input Connector, and KCNS allows for the platform to have a very powerful data extraction feature set that makes it more powerful than its competitors.
- The platform, being .NET, allows for developers to easily understand and extend the SDK and API either through native integration with the application or through its web services integration.
- Exception management within the platform can certainly be improved upon. If a job is suspended for any particular issue integrations can be put in place to attempt to handle them but it is kludgy and does not always work as anticipated.
- The administration interface is based on Microsoft Silverlight which limits it to certain versions of Internet Explorer and the interface has seen better days. Their other application, Kofax Kapow, has a much more mature and intuitive interface. This supposedly is being replaced in the next major iteration but I have doubts it will be successfully done.
- The product is expensive. It is also the Cadillac of workflow platforms with document transformation built in. In many cases the product can do what you want it to do but there may be other more cost effective platforms.
- The product is a behemoth to stand up and is cost prohibitive well before it can be implemented. Long term vision planning must be done to realize a positive ROI.
- It is costly to locate or train internal resources to implement the product successfully. It is very easy to be lost in a black hole if trying to implement it with no previous experience of an ECM platform.
- Demonstrating the platform to key stakeholders from multiple departments will most likely lead to discussions where business processes can be automated allowing for a faster ROI.
Kofax TotalAgility is a beast of a package that gives you a thousand ways to tackle a problem, but it may not be the best platform for your needs. It is more of an enterprise platform that integrates well with other systems with moderate development time. Other packages may be cheaper, easier, and faster to implement depending on needs.
The platform is an excellent solution for companies looking for a workflow automation system that can be used across departments and its return on investment becomes apparent once it is introduced in production for a business. Its ability to route work tasks dynamically between employees and outside parties, implement SLAs, and get information to a back-end source is excellent.