https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/6X/04/4CWIFQVVGM2S.JPEGM-Files, simple, elegant, love the outlook plugin and the m: drive!Currently M-Files is being used by a single department to track a lot of documents surrounding COAs and other necessary documents for purchase orders. It is extremely useful for being able to add documents directly from an email. It sends out alerts if certain forms haven't been entered and matched in a timely manner.,Easy install, go get your self a demo! Great outlook integration! Wonderful API,More more more training docs! M-Files is a paradigm shift, so wrapping your brain around how its storing metadata takes some getting used to. Learning curve with advanced features (what product doesn't?).,9,Streamlined a mapped drive based manual filing system Retrieval is 10x Faster Filing is 10x Faster,We mainly have utilized it for shared folders and workflows surrounding that. We haven't yet utilized it for Sharepoint or for Salesforce or for any other sources.,It is very critical to secure your data so authentication and audit trails are very useful!,Yes, a lot of the time audits are based on strict timing so being able to quickly bring up information is critical.,Outlook - this is awesome! File folders - you can you use the m: drive this super easy to understand! Any user can easily use this,M-files MagicWe use M-files across the whole organization (50 users). M-files helped to implement a paperless office - our documents are agreed and approved in M-files. Documents are available at other company locations immediately. Version control is great with M-files.,Very user-friendly interface. Quite easy to configure. Extremely powerful user access rights management, including access based on document metadata.,Add comments to read-only document. Minor improvement - posibility create a new document based on existing document (not copy, just duplicate common metadata).,10,Less paperwork (actually not at all). Increased efficiency - specialists doesn't have to spend their time to print out documents and walk accross the offices to collect signatures on the documents. Aceess to information where and when it is necessary. No more time spent to search information. Decision making based on information. Less errors due to wrong document versions used.,MS SharePoint,Developer,Not availableWhy I'm using M-filesWe use m-files in all departments of our company. [There are] six users. We chose M-Files to organize and securely manage all incoming and outgoing documents.,Organization Security Workflows,Google products integrations are not available like Microsoft products are. The OCR functionality is too expensive for a small organization. Community forum is not very active.,10,Searching documents is very difficult in Windows folders organization. With m-files you save about 30minutes/day/user. A user prints 5 times less with m-files. Less paper folders with emails and faxes or copies of existing digital documents.,Open Bee, DocuWare and Novaxel,Search Saving documents Sharing,Nothing,Yes,10M-FIles helps get your organizational act togetherWe purchased M-Files to be used across the School of Arts and Sciences which consisted of about 800 faculty and 100 staff members. The goal was to organize decades worth of contracts that contained inconsistent information in each document and manage the contractual details of each document. The ultimate goal was to eventually allow administrators in the field to have access to this as well which would have consisted of another 300 or so persons.,M-Files forces your organization to think through and update their process. We spent years doing things because 'it was how it was always done". When that became unmanageable, we were forced to consider the logical steps needed to complete various tasks. M-Files was intuitive in that searching for things became easier because all our files were mapped by department, area, person, year, etc. M-Files was highly customizable. Because we changed our processes fairly often (every 3 years of so) it allowed us the flexibility to manage this.,From a technical perspective, M-Files wouldn't allow us to scale because our LDAP configuration was not Windows based (Active Directory). We were a Linux shop and it caused problems.,8,Unfortunately we weren't able to see the benefits of the ROI because of the turnover and organizational uncertainties. It did force the administration to consider doing more process mapping and detailing that it wasn't used to which will pay off tremendously in the long run.,Blackbaud CRMM-Files Rocks!!!!Being and end user of M-Files, I am in the Sales Dept and use it daily. I create Proposals using the templates and love it. I use it to look up customer contract information which is done very easily. All correspondence done with my customers is stored in M-Files so I am able to easily retrieve it. Bottom line... "It makes my job that much easier!",Creating Proposals: I use the templates in Word and Excel to create Pricing and Proposals on a daily basis. Archiving Customer Information: I use the Outlook Plug in and archive all emails related to my customers and projects I am working on. Retrieving Customer Information: The SEARCH feature makes life easy and I can easily find my customer information with a quick search.,I don't see any areas that need improvement. However, M-Files seams to find them and put them in the new releases before I even thought I needed them. For instance the highlighting of the search words.. very nice and makes it easy to find at a quick glance what I am looking for.,10,I have nothing to do with the ROI of things.. I just know that I can quickly get a proposal out to a customer using the templates much faster than ever before. It fills in the customer information from our ERP System, saving me time in looking all that information up and retyping it in the proposal. Faster quotes means I have more time to move on to the next.. so Sales are ultimately increased. So bottom line.. more money for me and my company by making me more efficient.,none,TeamViewer, QuickBooks Pro,200,,Workflow Document Management CRM Proposal templates,Workflows for commission approvals,not sure,10,Online training Self-taught,10,depends on the type of person. I tend to jump in with both feet and push buttons to see what they do. but a general overview is helpful to get started.,Templates Outlook integration Search features CRM,None,Yes, but I don't use it,10,10,10,6,Yes,New features
Windows
M-Files

M-Files Reviews

M-Files
Filter 28 vetted M-Files reviews and ratings
August 01, 2018

Review: "M-Files, simple, elegant, love the outlook plugin and the m: drive!"

• Easy install, go get your self a demo!
  • Great outlook integration!
  • Wonderful API
  • More more more training docs!
  • M-Files is a paradigm shift, so wrapping your brain around how its storing metadata takes some getting used to.
  • Learning curve with advanced features (what product doesn't?).
It's great for routing documents, creating workflows, and quickly retrieving data and image scans/PDF. Search works really well
Sometimes it is difficult to know how to match its metadata design to a traditional ECM problem. I think that is where lots of training documents, examples templates, and case studies would be very helpful! I like documentation!
Read Michael Ellerbeck's full review
September 11, 2017

User Review: "M-files Magic"

• Very user-friendly interface.
  • Quite easy to configure.
  • Extremely powerful user access rights management, including access based on document metadata.
  • Add comments to read-only document.
  • Minor improvement - posibility create a new document based on existing document (not copy, just duplicate common metadata).
Very good for typical document management - create document (based on template or not), approve, share, store, search. Good version management. Works with Microsoft.
M-files is not a task or resource management system (however quite a lot of things could be done through M-files tasks).
Read Vineta Rubene's full review
December 21, 2016

User Review: "Why I'm using M-files"

• Organization
  • Security
  • Workflows
  • Google products integrations are not available like Microsoft products are.
  • The OCR functionality is too expensive for a small organization.
  • Community forum is not very active.
You can use m-files for any organization on permise or on the cloud. It is based on the metadata of documents. It is recommended to Windows users because the desktop client is not available for others systems but you can access it via a simple browser.
Read HAMID TAIATI's full review
August 09, 2016

Review: "M-FIles helps get your organizational act together"

• M-Files forces your organization to think through and update their process. We spent years doing things because 'it was how it was always done". When that became unmanageable, we were forced to consider the logical steps needed to complete various tasks.
  • M-Files was intuitive in that searching for things became easier because all our files were mapped by department, area, person, year, etc.
  • M-Files was highly customizable. Because we changed our processes fairly often (every 3 years of so) it allowed us the flexibility to manage this.
  • From a technical perspective, M-Files wouldn't allow us to scale because our LDAP configuration was not Windows based (Active Directory). We were a Linux shop and it caused problems.
M-Files is best suited for managing documents where the details don't change often due to irregularities within the organization. We have so much turn over at a university with administrations that it becomes a challenge to keep a process in place without a strong leader who is tech conscious (which doesn't always happen. It also didn't help that there wasn't a sponsor to enforce this project through its completion.).
Read Melissa S. Jackson, PMP's full review
February 16, 2016

User Review: "M-Files Rocks!!!!"

Bottom line... "It makes my job that much easier!"
  • Creating Proposals: I use the templates in Word and Excel to create Pricing and Proposals on a daily basis.
  • Archiving Customer Information: I use the Outlook Plug in and archive all emails related to my customers and projects I am working on.
  • Retrieving Customer Information: The SEARCH feature makes life easy and I can easily find my customer information with a quick search.
  • I don't see any areas that need improvement. However, M-Files seams to find them and put them in the new releases before I even thought I needed them. For instance the highlighting of the search words.. very nice and makes it easy to find at a quick glance what I am looking for.
M-Files seams to have every area covered.. at least from my perspective. I can see where every dept at our company can use it.
Read Tim Goetz's full review
September 30, 2015

"M-Files review"

We use M-Files both for testing and development as a re-seller and also for in house purposes.
  • Search. Much like Google, M-Files has a simple yet robust search function.
  • Workflow. Comes standard with the product.
  • Templates. Configure standardized documents to auto populate with customer specific information.
  • M-Files mobile app. Lacks the ability to create documents or assignments. Very limited.
We have yet to come across a customer that could find no benefit in using this product.
Read Jacob Allen's full review
September 11, 2015

Review: "M-Files has allowed us to embark on our path to a paperless business"

M-Files has been an instrumental tool for our organization to stream line our manufacturing operations, quality control systems and corporate functions. After implementing M-Files, visibility to key information has been moved from a paper system to M-Files which has allowed our company to make real time business decisions.
  • The integration of M-Files into our ERP system is very powerful in overlaying our buisness processes on to the functionality of M-Files.
  • Customization has also proved to be valuable to our organization as our team demanded a system that could to modified to fit the way we run our business.
  • The user interface is good, but as we bring new employees on board it takes time for them to learn the layout and features.
Anyone considering an Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution, should interface with their entire team to gather the requirements of each business stakeholder. This we found was the most important part of the selection process. It was identified that the ability of M-Files to intregate with our ERP system was a critical requirement.
Read Jason O'Neill's full review
September 11, 2015

M-Files Review: "Highly configurable system."

We used M-Files for our customers, as a solution for industry specific document flow control, e-catalogs etc. We liked that M-Files is highly configurable - each folder/item level can be configured to have certain fields (and field types are also configurable). So, you can create a sophisticated system of almost any type of structured information. We considered implementing it for medical data, museum inventory, legal and business documents.
  • Each folder/item level can be configured to have certain fields. So, you can create a sophisticated system of almost any type of structured information. DIfferent folders and document types can evolve independently, so you can create several systems within one.
  • Field types are also configurable.
  • Convenient version control
  • Powerful search features.
  • Convenient workflows management.
  • Creating new language localization requires to contact M-Files (the could make it possible with plugins)
  • Lacks good mobile access and integration on Linux.
M-Files is highly configurable - we could use it in different scenarios and industries. Just keep in mind it is mostly a "Windows" solution.
Read Anar Guliyev's full review
April 09, 2014

Review: "M-Files simply easy to use Document Management Software priced for the small business"

I use M-Files to manage all of my business and personal documents. Everything from quotes, RFPs, orders, invoices, emails, resumes, job descriptions, agreements to contracts and more. With M-Files I can easily find anything I need just by entering any of the stored metadata tags or anything from the contents into the search box. I also can create custom Views that act as a "saved search" giving me quick access to pertinent groups of documents filtering out all of the metadata properties and sorting them anyway that I want. I also use M-Files OCR module to turn all my paper docs into fully searchable PDFs. I use their Reporting Module to create reports showing me graphical statistics about the content that I have in my M-Files Vault.
  • Very easy to use
  • Tightly integrated with Windows Explorer and the MS Office suite, there are M-Files functional buttons inside Word, Excel, PPT and Outlook
  • I can access my information from anywhere using their Web browser and also via my iPhone using their Mobile Client downloaded from the App Store
  • Their prices are perfect for a small business
  • Their Mobile Browser could be improved to allow more functionality, I am told this is coming out in a soon to be released update.
  • It would be nice to be able to put annotations onto PDFs like drawings, I am told this is also coming out before the end of 2014
It is my opinion that M-Files can benefit even the smallest business all the way up to a Fortune 100 company. Their price was not a barrier to me deciding to purchase and I was able to get up and running in just a few hours. I did it all myself because my needs were simple, but they offer full consultancy services to design and configure your vault to your requirements.
Read Dave Turner's full review
April 08, 2014

User Review: "M-Files making it easy"

We currently use M-Files to organize and maintain our CAD and drawing libraries. It is used by myself and our other engineers. M-Files make finding and accessing data quick and easy by being able to search a variety of options.
  • Finding files based on description, part numbers, etc.
  • Finding related files, parts, and drawings when searching an assembly or part. It can tell you all the places a file is used.
  • Being able to rollback to a previous version if a mistake is made or a previous design worked better.
  • The only real problem I've had with M-Files in during setup. Sometimes it just doesn't want to connect to the server and I would get an error saying the DNS Server could not be found. It was a real pain. I called M-Files for support and they tried to help me out but to no avail. Eventually I got it to work fine by re-installing everything multiple times. I'd say the setup can be a bit of a hassle if things don't go right the first time.
M-Files seems to be less suited to organize PDF files that need to be updated. If the PDF is given the same name you end up with multiple copies of the file with the same name. I'd ask about that if you do a lot of PDF files.
Read Mark List's full review
April 08, 2014

Review: "You always wanted a disco floor in your office, but could never find the space. With M-Files you can remove all of those old filing cabinets and start dancing for joy!"

We have incorporated M-Files into our internal document management structure. Our internal structure consists of sales and marketing, vendor support, client support, finance, management and human resources. We have solved the issue of locating saved documents and maintaining mutiple versions scattered throughout the network. We have been able to link the physical, such as a client with the electronic documents associated with them in a dynamic and purposeful manner. We have accomplished this through the inherent meta-data driven properties and OCR functionality applied to all information absorbed into the centralized repository that is M-Files.
  • Permissions and access controls allow for security throughout the various departments
  • Recognizable Windows Explorer style user-friendly interface provides an organization shorty training and down time during an integration.
  • Document version control and auditing allows companies to meet compliance standards
  • Scanning and Zonal OCR features provide companies with a quick and meaningful way to convert paper documents into electronic form automatically applying meta-data properties
  • Connecting existing external databases such as Microsoft SQL and Access to M-Files. A great example would be connecting a list of all employees and can be bi-directional, which helps with redundancy and integration.
  • Connecting external databases can be tricky without prior knowledge of how those database were created. Some of the pitfalls can be avoided with more comprehensive training.
  • The OCR functionality could be more accurate which would help ingest documents of different types with less setup and training for employees trying to use M-Files.
  • M-Files has customer support, but I would like to see support have quicker response times and be more useful.
  • As a partner, the partner-portal could address more support issues by providing solutions.
We see that organizations that are consumed by paper documents would benefit from using M-Files. M-Files can enhance those companies that need to continually use paper, but can also provide a solution transitioning them away from paper documents eliminating costs, increasing efficiency and will provide a more effective method for meeting auditing and compliance standards. A few key questions to ask a company are, how long it takes to fill out and intake a document? How much time is spent filing and retrieving a document? Are you concerned about document control and permissions?
Read Richard Abraham's full review

Content capture & imaging (3)
File sync, storage & archiving (4)
9.6
Document management (5)
Records management (4)
Content search & retrieval (5)
Enterprise content collaboration (4)
9.4
Content publishing & creation (1)
Security, risk management & information governance (3)
Contract lifecycle management (5)
Automated workflows (1)

About M-Files

M-Files enterprise information management (EIM) solutions aim to eliminate information silos and provide quick and easy access to the right content from any core business system and device.

According to the vendor, M-Files achieves higher levels of user adoption resulting in faster ROI with an intuitive approach to EIM that is based on managing information by "what" it is versus "where" it's stored. M-files offers flexible on-premises, cloud and hybrid deployment options, and aims to place the power of EIM in the hands of the business user and reduce demands on IT by enabling those closest to the business need to access and control content based on their requirements.

According to the vendor, thousands of organizations in over 100 countries use the M-Files EIM system as a single platform for managing front office and back office business operations, which improves productivity and quality while ensuring compliance with industry regulations and standards, including companies such as SAS, Elekta and NBC Universal.

M-Files Features

Enterprise Content Management Features
Has featureContent capture & imaging
Has featureFile sync, storage & archiving
Has featureDocument management
Has featureRecords management
Has featureContent search & retrieval
Has featureEnterprise content collaboration
Does not have featureContent publishing & creation
Has featureSecurity, risk management & information governance
Has featureContract lifecycle management
Has featureAutomated workflows
Has featureArtificial intelligence
Does not have featureMobile support
Does not have featureIntegration

M-Files Integrations

Microsoft Dynamics AX, Microsoft Dynamics GP, NetSuite, Salesforce.com, DocuSign, Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM), Esri

M-Files Competitors