Reviews (1-25 of 37)
- Ease of use. It does not require (or requires limited) user training. You can easily get used to the interface.
- File organization - but once file systematic (or the views) is being copied by the users.
- Compatibility - add-Ins with other MS Office products.
- Mobile platform integration.
- Folder views have to be created by each user. Otherwise you're not able to view the created folders by the other users by default.
- While saving files, it has to be done by using keywords - otherwise later on document cannot be easily found.
- Great workflow.
- Works with metadata, which makes files easy to be found.
- It has excellent versioning control.
- It has integration with other applications, like Office 365.
- It could have more CAD integrations.
- Has the possibility to have online revision, inside the application.
- It could have a better documentation transmitter section.
We have implemented M-Files as a service management system for service business and quotation management system for capex projects. This solution covers service agreements, service work management and reporting of service activities for customers and invoicing. Customers' install base of service agreement lines is included. All capex quotations are included with classification information. Already decided further development includes project document management and customer document distribution.
- Defining and implementing data requirements with business people is very flexible
- Defining and implementing business workflows is very flexible
- Document management is efficient
- Creating simple views in M-Files is easy but with increasing data complexity also creation of views becomes complex.
- M-Files has competent people but their support processes can be enhanced.
- User interface could be more user friendly.
- Document management
- Easy access and intuitive to use
- More features without coding (for example more options for automatic naming of documents, more functions when changing workflow state, etc.).
- Customizable front page (work example: different kind of page depending the user's task or department).
- Editing notification settings by admin (not only by user).
- Metadata drive - searches through metadata and throughout the document itself to retrieve what the user is looking for. Finds documents fast and easily using the search bar. Additional filters can be added if needed to filter further.
- Advanced automated workflows. Assignments are automatically generated once a workflow state is reached and emails notifications are sent to assignees. Automation ensures smooth transitions and eliminates manual triggers.
- Traceability and version control. M-Files tracks each change to the document itself and to the metadata. This is important for audits and having the version history at your fingertips.
- Extremely customizable. Users can create their own views for themselves or common views for the whole company to view a group of documents. These options can be customized based on the metadata properties. Administrators can create the properties and structure in the Admin tool.
- Notifications could be improved. Once an assignment has met the deadline date, it will no longer notify the assignee of an overdue assignment every day after the deadline. The assignee will only see the overdue assignment by opening up M-Files and seeing it on their home screen or referring to the email last received.
- Once an action has been taken within the system, the page needs to be refreshed frequently. Improvements could be made to reduce the refreshing required to see the changes that were made.
- M-Files acts like a library - in order to edit a document it must be checked out by a user. Once changes are made the document should automatically check itself in by default. When exiting out of a document, sometimes it does not automatically check in and requires manual check in. Consistency of automatic actions could be improved.
- The M-Files Admin customization and workflows could be explained or assisted more at initial setup. Since the system is out of the box, trying to setup the system to cater to the company's needs can be time consuming and a confusing process. It took a lot of trial and error to get the metadata properties and values setup properly. It something that we still struggle with at times since M-Files support doesn't know how our company operates and how we want to use the system.
- Very easy to recall, identify, and locate related information.
- The interface is modern and slick, making the learning curve much lower for new users.
- Installation and support are top-notch and administrating the platform will be familiar to regular system administrators.
- The workflow engine, while powerful, does not contain many advanced features but they are in the roadmap.
- This is nothing against M-Files, but it is a relatively new ECM platform so adoption and user community is not where more mature platforms are.
- The interface is nice looking and easy to use but could use a bit more polish so it does not feel like too "new" of a product.
- Integration: Reads data from other systems.
- Easy to force data to be organized.
- If the built in functionality isn't enough, you can easily script additional functionality into M-Files.
- Performance. Feels slow.
- Metadata integration is limited. Only database connections with a single SQL query. No JSON/XML/etc. Database connections only pull mode. No possibility to push data into M-Files and constantly pulling large data sets from the database is slow.
- OCR module broken for years without a fix.
- Logs everything to Windows event log which is not very searchable.
- Mobile app is virtually unusable. Slow and buggy. Randomly fails to follow customized metadata cards, eg. default data ignored.
- Object & document relations
- Finding documents & objects
- Workflows for classes
- Metadata behind documents & objects (is the key to search & discover documents)
- After sales customerS accounting could be done more professionally.
- There could be more "ready-made" models for different types of usage and these could be included in the main product.
- For example: A company can have more than one Vault and when implementing the customer could choose from a base structure to implement on a vault (HR, Sales, Quality, logistics...). This should all be included in the main product.
- Centralized store of purchasing documents.
- Centralized store of quality and safety documents.
- Sales process has been streamlined.
- Initial set-up was rather complex, but not impossible.
- Metadata card customization could be simplified.
- Search function returns too few results at times.
- Provides quick and easy access to the right content.
- Provides higher levels of user adoption.
- M-Files is accessible on desktop, cloud, and mobile devices.
- We would like to see the ability to automatically resize pictures, so they don't take up so much storage.
- Search functionality - M-Files has a robust search system that allows users to quickly find content in seconds
- Relationships between content - how M-Files relates objects to content makes finding valuable information easy
- Versatility - MFiles allows users to integrate with current systems and microsoft office to easily integrate into normal business operations.
- One major frustration we have had has to do with our particular project, not the tool in and of itself. We had a combination of development efforts, some from M-Files and some from our developers in house. It has been hard to push the project forward at times since we are not allowed to control the cloud environment or develop in the cloud environment. We have had to wait on things to get pushed via content packs we develop on prem, which are then shared via a dropbox to M-Files. We hoped there would be a smoother solution for this.
- M-Files simplifies access to files, data, etc., located in several different databases and applications. You just need to know what you're looking for not where it's located.
- M-Files Intelligent Metadata Layer (IML) tool can search several different databases and applications simultaneously, including but not limited to Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, and shared drives. The IML results of your search criteria are displayed on a single page, which simplifies review, access and storage.
- M-Files automatically tracks file/document versions to simplify management and version control, as well as prevent duplicates.
- Searching specific files using the IML Tool is streamlined by displaying company/customer names, document types, contacts etc.
- None so far, since we're early in our implementation.
- Electronically located on users' desktop and users can drag and drop documents quickly and easily.
- We were manually filing papers, so this has been a nice tool to have.
- Once our system was set up, it has been user friendly.
- Main menu not as intuitive.
- Client set up was not as easy and streamlined.
The initial client set up interaction with the users was confusing.
We had some disconnects with statement of work and pricing.
We use M-Files workflows to manage business units across the organization. Such as Project implantation, contract life cycle, sales, commissions and more. Tracking project status, history, and documents are key to our success. We utilize M-Files workflows to track key project tasks, personnel and follow up. Workflow notifications keep me on track with contract balances, end dates because the consultant and projects records are always at my fingertips. M-Files standardizes our documentation employing templates for quotes, proposals, contracts and project documentation streamlining our processes.
- Workflows are powerful; they notify personnel of the status and details of a project. Routines, tasks, and checklists are assigned automatically via email or views based on roles or process.
- We can track and inform on anything, from customer requests, formal internal communications, requests, audits, and risk. When a teammate is assigned a request, it brings instant visibility and accountability. Colleagues receive reminders on task deadlines, and tasks escalate when not completed on time, resulting in stronger communication and faster result all around.
- I often say, “If we track it on a spreadsheet today, the process needs to be moved to M-Files tomorrow." There are many micro processes within a team where an individual manages an important procedure in a homegrown manner often on a spreadsheet with date, check boxes, and reminders. Finding these and deploying their methods in M-Files can ease the task and share responsibility among the team.
- I would like to see M-Files implement spellcheck in the user interface and the administration module. It seems like a no-brainer improvement for the end user.
- A web-based template tool or integration would be also wonderful enhancement .
- Enhancement of the Intelligent Metadata Layer (IML) to ease migration of documents from Network Folders.
- M-Files offers fantastic document management capabilities that solve virtually all of the issues associated with managing document libraries in a traditional folder structure. Version control and document history, the ability to classify documents such that they appear in multiple views, and the excellent access control are all tools we can no longer live without.
- M-Files is extremely customizable without requiring a deep technical background. Basic administrative functions can be learned with relative ease.
- User support for M-Files is top notch.
- M-Files lacks the ability to audit for users who have never accessed it.
M-Files is specifically well suited for document management, especially when the population documents are significant. When the number of documents is small, that advantages of using M-Files may be offset by the need to setup an appropriate document type and metadata structure.
M-Files is also excellent at managing customized workflows.
Bottom line... "It makes my job that much easier!"
- Creating Proposals: I use the templates in Word and Excel to create Pricing and Proposals on a daily basis.
- Archiving Customer Information: I use the Outlook Plug in and archive all emails related to my customers and projects I am working on.
- Retrieving Customer Information: The SEARCH feature makes life easy and I can easily find my customer information with a quick search.
- I don't see any areas that need improvement. However, M-Files seams to find them and put them in the new releases before I even thought I needed them. For instance the highlighting of the search words.. very nice and makes it easy to find at a quick glance what I am looking for.
- It indexes a wide range of documents easily.
- It allows for custom designed tags.
- It is easy for me to use.
- When tagging an Excel spreadsheet of names, I add the person to the tag. If the person is new, M-Files wants to add the new person. The new user window pops up in the middle of the screen every single time. I have to move it out of the way to see the data behind it. M-Files needs to be able to retain the location of where I move a window so that it opens where I want it to, and not right in the middle of the screen, right on top of the data that I need to enter.
- Wish it had an OCR option.
- Ease of use. Familiar user interface.
- Search of documents.
- Easy to configure and administer.
- Annotations seem clumsy to work with. On large documents annotations are hard to find. Multiple annotations can overlay each other.
- Would like the ability to setup pre-defined queries where user can enter a values for certain metadata fields.
- Workflow can be more intuitive.
- Web client currently does not match the desktop client.
- Storage of documents
- Customer service
- User training
- M-Files used to offer a more entry-level program, but they have done away with that, limiting the type of the customer that can justify the product
- Creating associations between documents/objects; allows for endless options for viewing data that is stored within M-Files.
- Search feature; also searches within documents (not just the titles).
- More user friendly customization options that do not require knowledge of coding/scripting. For example, prompting the creation of a new document from a template in a workflow.
- When using the 'insert property' feature in a Word doc, I would love to convert dates from a mm/dd/yy format to be written out (such as September 21, 2018). Or possibly even just to pull the year or the month from a selected date to insert into a document.
- I've often wished that I could find more detailed tutorials online for some features.
We also have a trip application process that I would love to integrate into M-Files. This would eliminate the need for multiple people to print and sign a document to show their approval. The approval could be granted within the same system and then the application moved to the next step in the approval process.
An example of a less appropriate use - M-files would probably be overkill for a simple repository of data/documents that only one person needs to access. Although if I already had M-Files I would probably use it anyway.
- User interface is easy to understand and learn for new users.
- The functionality is great once contracts are loaded into the system.
- Customer service. We experienced some difficulty with our account this year and the service wasn't the most responsive. We rely on M-Files to run our department and without prompt responses/clear resolutions, it became fairly frustrating.
- Problem resolution. We were shut out of our account for a month or so this year which really set us back as a company. Not sure why it took so long to resolve, but again, it was a significant hinderance.
- We have a backlog of contracts that need to be uploaded. Anything that allows the contracts to be input into the system in a quicker, more efficient manner would be helpful
- Ease of use for both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to search within M-Files as well as other repositories.
- Support and service of the software.
- The M-Files software has very few areas for improvement.
- Very user friendly
- You can easily locate your documents within moments by using the search
- We were able to bring information from other databases to retrieve information so lessen manual input of metadata within M-files.
- Very nice reporting feature - we use to create an index tracing material to part.
- I have not seen any issues that affect our use
M‑Files Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Using artificial intelligence (AI) technologies in its Intelligent Metadata Layer, M-Files breaks down silos by delivering an in-context experience for accessing and leveraging information that resides in any system and repository, including network folders, SharePoint, file sharing services, ECM systems, CRM, ERP and other business systems and repositories.
The vendor claims thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries use M-Files for managing their business information and processes, including NBC Universal, OMV, Valmet, Rovio, SAS Institute and thyssenkrupp.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Please contact an M-Files representative via https://www.m-files.com for pricing information.
M‑Files Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
M‑Files Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone|
|Supported Countries:||M-Files is available in 100+ countries through direct support or via the company's partner network.|
|Supported Languages:||M-Files is available in 30+ languages.|